Ep. 023 - Checkmate!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 023 - Checkmate!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 023 - "Checkmate!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 248 min., 52 sec. (4:08:52) - 113.93 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: AmuroNT1 (01, 03, 05 & 09)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:09:00

02. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Castlevania 6-5000! - The Cardinal Sin"
Runtime: 0:09:00 - 0:10:45

03. 1st Segment: "Code Geass R2: Reviews of Episodes 21-25"
Runtime: 0:10:45 - 1:40:25

04. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:40:25 - 1:42:06

05. 2nd Segment: "Gundam Round-up!: New Mobile Report Gundam Wing"
Runtime: 1:42:06 - 2:21:01

06. Interlude: "Dudes' Flight Out!" (Robotech: The Macross Saga) - Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 2:21:01 - 2:24:12

07. 3rd Segment: "Macross Frontier: Reviews of Episodes 20-25"
Runtime: 2:24:12 - 3:38:58

08. Epic Sugarworks (Commercial)
Runtime: 3:38:58 - 3:39:34

09. 4th Segment: "Code Geass R2: Q&A with AmuroNT1"
Runtime: 3:39:34 - 4:03:01

10. Interlude: "The God of War" (Gundam: The 08th MS Team) - Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 4:03:01 - 4:06:00

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites"
Runtime: 4:06:00 - 4:08:52

In this episode, anime climaxes come to a head as we wrap-up episode reviews for Code Geass R2 & Macross Frontier. Plus, our long-awaited Gundam Round-up for Gundam Wing is finally here! Last but not least, our special guest, AmuroNT1, answers some of your questions behind the mysteries of Code Geass.

UPDATE: Also, for those interested, we are doing a live session in the near future! More details will be posted before then, but if you have Skype, search for user "Shinjuku-Station" and join us when we announce our next live call session!

Enjoy this showkiller, cause it will probably be the last of it's kind for a good while. ^_^

Much thanks for listening & the feedback! Have at you!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MySpace - FaceBook - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
snoops619

haha. On segment 5. Just loving the frequent non-comparisons to 00 :wink:
Keep up the good work.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Ep. 023 - Checkmate!

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Also, for those interested, we are doing a live session this Sunday (11/16/08)! More details will be posted before then, but if you have Skype, search for user "Shinjuku-Station" and join us at 2pm EST for another live call session!
Awesome, I should be able to participate this time.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Areku

Showkiller indeed! This is as long as a 12 episode OVA! The only thing that would make this episode awesomer would be to complete the trinary and wrap up your segment on 00 season 1 reviews, but we all know why that hasn't happened yet :wink:

I've only listened to Q&A with AmuroNT1 so far, but I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that you touched on all my questions. Most of those were just detailed examples of what I meant by the broad question of "how does Geass work?", but that was a lot more feedback than I was expecting. Lots of interesting responses to others' questions as well. Awesome job, Amuro!
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Awesome, I should be able to participate this time.
Me too, with any luck.
snoops619

Re: Ep. 023 - Checkmate!

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Also, for those interested, we are doing a live session this Sunday (11/16/08)! More details will be posted before then, but if you have Skype, search for user "Shinjuku-Station" and join us at 2pm EST for another live call session!
I'm in! 'Cause we all know you want a bit more of the Limey Magic...
Soul Bro Ryu

I just corrected this in the main post, but I didn't check everything was lined up to do the show this Sunday. Teaches me get ahead of myself, and I'm really sorry about the misinformation. We will, however, be doing one in early December. We'll post a thread about what date and time we'll be doing this call in show, as well as info on the topic that will be discussed.

Just blame me for this one guys. I wouldn't be me if I'm not screwing something up...
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
snoops619

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
I just corrected this in the main post, but I didn't check everything was lined up to do the show this Sunday. Teaches me get ahead of myself, and I'm really sorry about the misinformation. We will, however, be doing one in early December. We'll post a thread about what date and time we'll be doing this call in show, as well as info on the topic that will be discussed.

Just blame me for this one guys. I wouldn't be me if I'm not screwing something up...
Aww man! I jumped outta my skin 'cause I'm not working on Sunday so I was gonna be able to do it. I'm gonna have to pull a sicky if I've got a shift on your chosen day.

On a technical note: Have you ever thought of encoding on enhanced AAC? Podcasts like that have 'Chapters' so that you can skip through segments and have different artwork in-show.
Just an idea :) Perhaps it needs to go in ideas and feedback?
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but Gundamn is going back to a basic episode for 24.

But, do not worry a call-in show is being slated within the next few episodes. Which one, you ask? We'll figure that out this weekend.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
NightFall

I love how chris had no said anything till Neo started doing the news!!

Still got the scars from the PunDam Chirs?

Oh by the way Level Nine is great!
Valmanway

Deculture!

And Nightfall, I second that Level Nine is great! Looking forward to the Castlevania show :)
NightFall

Valmanway wrote:Deculture!

And Nightfall, I second that Level Nine is great! Looking forward to the Castlevania show :)

Me too!

The whole censor thing Soul Bro does with the little promos is just great!
:lol:
Areku

Finished up the segments on Code Geass and Wing, but I think I'll hold off on the Frontier segment until I get around to watching the last few episodes (keep forgetting to do so...)

On CG, I think Amuro brought up a very good point about Nunally's "revival" being necessary for testing Lelouch, I hadn't thought of it that way. I had disliked the fact that she was "brought back". That's nothing against Nunally, I just tend to view revivals/fake deaths as cop outs that attempt to capture the tragedy of death then turn around and spit on it by pulling a happy ending out of nowhere. Just pick one and stick with it! In this case, though, Amuro's words convinced me that this was probably the best way it could have gone for Lelouch's development. And, uh, yeah, I think that's the only new thing I have to say on CG. A great show overall (I'm a strict reviewer, I consider 6.5/10 to be pretty darn good and 5/10 as literally average), though some of the "hoes before bros" and generally foolish shenanigans late in the game (I'm looking at you, BK) put a pretty big shackle on R2's ankle. A few more fights like the final Kallen/Suzaku fight wouldn't have hurt, either. I'm just happy that Lelouch is officially dead, for reasons anyone with a 20 second short-term memory remembers.

It's been awhile since I fully watched Wing (I'm currently taking an extended break from it at around episode 26, but I'll probably finish it up after Turn A), but it sounds like you guys covered all the sentiments I have for it (not trash, not great, but pretty good with faults).

Every time someone starts comparing Wing and 00, I'm reminded of a flashback in Megas XLR where baby-Coop is trying to fit a child's-toy square peg into a round hole. Obviously, it doesn't work. It then shows a much older Coop smash the peg through with a large mallet, cracking the hole-board and warping the peg into something more like an octagon. Hopefully, I'm not the only one who sees the symbolism there...
Valmanway wrote:And Nightfall, I second that Level Nine is great! Looking forward to the Castlevania show :)
Then why don't you guys let them know, either here or here :wink:

EDIT: Hey Chris, who do you like least/most between Wufei, Nina P. and Katz? :lol:

Edit the 2nd: Didn't know Ko Otani did Wing's music, that explains why I like it.
yazi88

I'm glad that my questions were responded in this episode, good episode but one thing bothered me, what happened to Soul Bro's "Man/boy/loser" for Gundam Wing? Was it Lady Une's useless assistant that vanishes for quite awhile or what?
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:I'm glad that my questions were responded in this episode, good episode but one thing bothered me, what happened to Soul Bro's "Man/boy/loser" for Gundam Wing? Was it Lady Une's useless assistant that vanishes for quite awhile or what?
I thought we addressed that, it's the loser who lost to Heero in fencing.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

yazi88

Oh you're right, I completely forgot you guys mentioned that in the previous episode.
Kavik Ryx

I'm reserving any judgment on Wing until I switch avatars. But on the subject of Code Geass, on the last episode, I almost expected Rivalz to take out a sniper rifle and become the Lee Harvey Oswald of Britannia, or something to that effect.

BTW: Thanks AmuroNT1 for the answer.
hawk of endymion

Kavik Ryx wrote:But on the subject of Code Geass, on the last episode, I almost expected Rivalz to take out a sniper rifle and become the Lee Harvey Oswald of Britannia, or something to that effect.
The only problem with that scenario is that Rivalz would lose "My Man" status with Soul Bro.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Kaioshin Sama

I tried so hard to help rationalize certain aspects of Code Geass that I saw people were having a hard time fully comprehending or at least approaching, but like the guys said some people only saw what they wanted to see. Especially with this series where some people just seemed absolutely determined to find anything and everything wrong with it like they were defying the devil in a sermon or something. Weird Simile I know, but just to lighten the mood I now have this sort of half joke that I like to spring on people to summarize my feelings on what some call the "Geass Sunday" experience wherein I ask a pseudo-philosphical question:

"Code Geass R2, trainwreck, or railroaded by the fans?"
Vent Noir

On the discussion about Wing fangirls... I have heard it said that male fans are more interested in the plot while female fans are more interested in the relationships. Personally, I haven't known all that many female fans of mecha anime, and maybe I'm just lucky, but the ones I've known... sure, they like to drool over Lelouch, but I never got the impression they were JUST into that, to the exclusion of other aspects of the show.

In fact... it's been defunct for a long time now, but wasn't the "Shinigami Project" website run by a girl? IIRC, that had some very interesting content alongside the yaoi stuff.

And of course, this debate (or whatever you call it) happens in other fandoms as well. These comments on viewing practices of Star Trek appeared in Henry Jenkins' book "Textual Poachers" (strongly reccommended):

"Most women ST fans I've talked to over 25 years prefer one interest, but I've met only a few that like the Kirk and Spock relationship to the exclusion of being interested in the SF concepts of Trek. They may be more interested in people but they still enjoy speculating about Vulcan culture or Federation politics or Klingon languages or even starship hardware on occasion"

Just based on my own experience, I'd say it's a similar situation with GW.
Kaioshin Sama

Listening right now to the part where the guys talk about how the average western viewers watching and discussing Gundam 00, Macross Frontier and Code Geass R2 aren't really fans of nor do they really care about the characters, mecha genre and storylines of said series but rather are in it for the shipping, the moment, the 4chan lulz, the popularity of the show and the spiffy animation sequences, I can't help but nod my head and agree with the entire sentiment.

It's really not hard or rather it's becoming less difficult to tell a person who is a mecha fan or that is really deep into a show or that just shows a genuine interest in it as a holistic viewing experience from somebody who is just along for the ride yet seems to insist on adding their own apparent "expertise" on what the show should be and thus what it is apparently doing wrong when it isn't falling into their vision of it which is usually far off from it's obvious intentions. Yet it truly seems that as long as these people's shipping needs are satisfied that they are content and quiet for the most part.

This section of the podcast sort of opens up a new end to the perspective of western anime fans on the internet that I've been working from in the past little while.