Ep. 006 - Holidays of Steel, VOTOMS & Mecha-On-Film

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 006 - Holidays of Steel, VOTOMS & Mecha-On-Film

First off, I just want give a huge thank you to all that supported and downloaded "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" in during 2007. You've made our premiere year more fantastic than any of us expected.

Second, I want to apologize about the delay of this latest episode. I won't make excuses, but the holiday literally hit me like a sack of bricks. Most of the little free time I had though I worked on the show and finally it's here. I feel like a jerk-off for it taking so long, and because of it, one of the segments is now out of date. Or way too early for it's own good, depending upon how you look at it.

Third, there's a lot on the horizon for the show this year! Interviews, guests panelists, Anime Spotlights (much like in this episode), live calls during recordings, conventions and much more. Thanks for being on board with us and we hope to make 2008 "Gundamn! @ MAHQ's" most exciting year yet!

As for the here & now, Episode 6 is on deck! In this episode, we discuss:

Episode 006 - Holidays of Steel, VOTOMS & Mecha-On-Film
Regular Version - Unplugged Version

- Holidays of Steel: Gift Ideas for the Mecha Fan (Late as hell, I might add...)
- Anime Spotlight: VOTOMS
- Mecha-on-Film: Past, Present & Future Live-Action Adaptations

This episode was actually recorded on Dec. 16th, 2007. Then the holidays punked me, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Another episode of Gundamn is set to be recorded this weekend and up for download on Friday of next week. Now that I'm not moonlighting, I have time like I used to. In the meantime, I hope you guys enjoy the episode and stay tuned for another one next week. ^_^

Thanks a million & Happy New Year!

Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep The Websites:
[email protected]
www.MAHQ.net
www.MySpace.com/GundamnTheShow
http://GundamnTheShow.Podshow.com

"Gundamn! @ MAHQ" on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =266989185

RSS Feed:
http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

Garma Strikes! - Featuring "Gundamn! @ MAHQ - The Soundtrack":
http://www.MySpace.com/GarmaStrikes
(Two New Songs Added: "Dudes' Flight Out!" & "Gihren's Ambition")
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Chris
Administrator

Brief note: nevermind what I say in the episode about Pailsen Files' setting. It's actually set after Roots of Ambition, not before anything else. Nobody's perfect. :P
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kavik Ryx

Great episode, and I have to say, there is probably no one, even in America who could pull off Char Aznable.

Not being a fan of movies, I'm okay with there never being an adaptation. Though F91, which I really liked personally, could possibly pull it off.
Destiny_Gundam

I proudly declare without hesitation that I LIKE G Savior. It did a good job for being a low budget made for TV movie. I wouldn't nominate it for an Oscar or anything, but I still enjoy watching it.

I had just watched some VOTOMs recently (yesterday in fact) and I liked what I saw. I watched Roots of Ambition and the first 2 eps of Pailsen Files. Really good stuff.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Tuxedo Mark

I'm listening to episode 6 right now. I have just a brief correction. "Megazone 23" is "Megazone Two Three", not "Megazone Twenty-Three". I'm not sure exactly why that is, but that's what the title screens say.

It was also displayed like that on a banner on the stage during a Kumi Miyasato concert (presumably promoting Part 2).
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
Chris
Administrator

Tuxedo Mark wrote:I'm listening to episode 6 right now. I have just a brief correction. "Megazone 23" is "Megazone Two Three", not "Megazone Twenty-Three". I'm not sure exactly why that is, but that's what the title screens say.

It was also displayed like that on a banner on the stage during a Kumi Miyasato concert (presumably promoting Part 2).
Honestly, I really don't care about something so insignificant. All the DVDs have "23" written on them, not "2 3", so that's good enough for me.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Skippy438

Another great episode guys. I've always been curious about Votoms but never got around to looking anything up about it. If there ever is a film adaptation of MSG, forget Char, I'll make it my business to get cast as Amuro. I do believe that you can always find an actor to fill a role, it may not be someone who is already well known. Look at Superman, Christopher Reeve was a total unknown when he was cast in that. I'm really looking forward to the changes in story for the Robotech movie, with Shia LeBoeuf as Jebediah Focker, great grandson of Roy Focker who comes across a WW2 relic fighter that transformed into a "mechano-man" to fight the Nazis. He needs it to save the world against the super terrorists (terrorists with super powers) all the while trying to impress a girl he likes.
Kishiria

How do I actually get this from MAHQ to my iPod? Usually it's just a matter of clicking a link, but when I do, I get it as a big Quicktime file. The goal is to listen on the bus.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Soul Bro Ryu

Kishiria wrote:How do I actually get this from MAHQ to my iPod? Usually it's just a matter of clicking a link, but when I do, I get it as a big Quicktime file. The goal is to listen on the bus.
Near the end of the top post, simply click on the link under "Gundamn! on iTunes" and that should automatically open iTunes on your PC (if it's installed). If it doesn't, then you should be able to find it in the store by searching for the word "Gundamn". Then you can subscribe! ^_^

BTW, thanks for the heads up on Megazone 23, Tux. I didn't know about that but it's definitely good just in case I ever talk to anyone having to do with production. I looked it up, and sure enough you're right.
Soul Bro Ryu
Kavik Ryx

Hey, even though it would never happen, who would work as a believable cast for a live action Gundam movie, or something like that?
Darth Nader

Really great podcast. I was getting worried when it was coming late and then the MAHQ page went down. Glad the owrries were for nothing 8)

I'm gonna be checking out Roots of Ambition this weekend, and then later teh first 2 eps of Pailsen Files (after I finish with Monster). Thanks for turning me on to it!

Regarding mecha series that could be turned into live action movies, I think Macross Plus definitely. Its a very self contained, fairly simple story. Also, Big-O might not be a bad sone to look at. I was wonding if Gunbuster could make a good movie as well.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode!
Hyakushiki

I looked into Armor Hunter Mellowlink and it's as good as you say, the man is thorough! I also heard rumors of a Metal Gear Solid movie and James Cameron has said that a possible Battle Angel Alita live action film could be in the works, not to mention Astro Boy. I have the same trepidation about a live action Evangelion film if only because I can't see them adapting a story that complicated into a movie and have have a mass audience get it. I'm also afraid as to who they would cast in the lead roles and how they would be portrayed, though I think Hugh Lorrie could pull off Gendo!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
SOCL

As always, a great episode, gents! I hadn't realized my "Char's leisure suit" suggestion was so funny. I know it may have sounded like a cosplay idea, but I was actually rather serious. I mean, who doesn't need a white suit and giant aviator-like sunglasses to get all the ladies? That mysterious look--you know, the cool guy at the club or bar who doesn't have to talk to the ladies to get them to come to him--you know, that guy you absolutely hate. 8)

Thanks for the spotlight there, fellows!

Also, AWESOME use of that line from Fearing and Loathing in Las Vegas, and then Back to the Future, too! Absolutely excellent! I have to tell you, all of the fellows at the office can't help but stop in to listen, even if they have no idea what Gundam is--they get the robot idea. You should have see First Sergeant Winters' face during the Fear and Loathing bit and every time someone says "Gundamn!"... HA! :lol:

I look forward to the next episode!
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
manmiles

Man, I was NOT expecting a mention in the podcast. I had to rewind for that bit.
thanatos

Another great episode guys. Soul Bro, don't give up on getting that Char's Zaku cell phone. If Gundam has taught us anything, it's that awesome technology can randomly fall into our hands when we least expect it.

I don't see much hope for mecha on this side of the Pacific, Robotech, Voltron and Transformers being the expections as they already have a place in the childhood of many people. Most non-mecha aware people I know think of the power-loader from Aliens whenever I say "giant robot". US audiences would have to be slowly introduced to mecha (Metal Gear Solid perhaps?) before they would watch fast-moving, anthropomorphic mecha like Gundam. Baby steps here people. Don't expect to see those Gundam cosplay bars or condoms here anytime soon.

I really wanted G-Saviour to turn out well. I gave it the benefit of the doubt as much as I could. It's main failure is that it doesn't seem to have any sort of continuity with other UC series. It might as well have it's own universe.
Besides, as soon as I saw those Starship Troopers costumes, I threw my hands up in despair. A serious franchise like Gundam should stay far away from a comedy like that.

Thanks for the info on VOTOMS. I've always been meaning to look into it. I just never sat down a comitted myself to understanding how the series fit into one another.
Soul Bro Ryu

SOCL wrote:As always, a great episode, gents! I hadn't realized my "Char's leisure suit" suggestion was so funny. I know it may have sounded like a cosplay idea, but I was actually rather serious. I mean, who doesn't need a white suit and giant aviator-like sunglasses to get all the ladies? That mysterious look--you know, the cool guy at the club or bar who doesn't have to talk to the ladies to get them to come to him--you know, that guy you absolutely hate. 8)

Thanks for the spotlight there, fellows!

Also, AWESOME use of that line from Fearing and Loathing in Las Vegas, and then Back to the Future, too! Absolutely excellent! I have to tell you, all of the fellows at the office can't help but stop in to listen, even if they have no idea what Gundam is--they get the robot idea. You should have see First Sergeant Winters' face during the Fear and Loathing bit and every time someone says "Gundamn!"... HA! :lol:

I look forward to the next episode!
Seriously, man, it was awesome. I love that scene in MSG when he's chillin' in the bar, fresh from dishonorable discharge, sitting there drinking his Scotch when he gets an offer he couldn't refuse. Char takes the outlandish and makes it so pimp that it inspires others to do the same. If you do cosplay as that, hit us up with pics and we'll put it in a "Cosplay" gallery on the MySpace. I was planning on starting one anyway for the listeners that send in pics and for those we meet on the road.

As for the props, you and everyone else more than deserve it. It really helped to make that segment better and I appreciate the input, guys. BTW, I had a feeling you we're in the military, since you we're our "friend in the sand". First of all, I'd like to say welcome back! Second, I'd like to give you virtual dap for playing our show at the office. I would never imagine that "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" would ever be on blast at the on any military base, and you sir have definitely proved me wrong. ^_^

Tell the Sarge and the rest of the gang, "What's up!", and to keep listening. If they start watching Gundam, it'll be thanks to all of us and that would be the absolute dopest.
Hyakushiki wrote:I looked into Armor Hunter Mellowlink and it's as good as you say, the man is thorough! I also heard rumors of a Metal Gear Solid movie and James Cameron has said that a possible Battle Angel Alita live action film could be in the works, not to mention Astro Boy. I have the same trepidation about a live action Evangelion film if only because I can't see them adapting a story that complicated into a movie and have have a mass audience get it. I'm also afraid as to who they would cast in the lead roles and how they would be portrayed, though I think Hugh Lorrie could pull off Gendo!
Mellowlink, son! I did a sneak peek of the first episode before my Votoms box set arrives and that dude is the man. Once I finish ATV (lol), I can wait to rock that show next.

Seriously, with as much pre-production that going into it, and care the people behind the scenes are taking, I can't wait to see a live action Eva. Granted, I agree that the show is overrated on a lot of levels but it did change how I look at anime and was a unique series to experience before the clones came.

And you're right. House would kick hindpints as Gendo!
Darth Nader wrote:Really great podcast. I was getting worried when it was coming late and then the MAHQ page went down. Glad the owrries were for nothing 8)

I'm gonna be checking out Roots of Ambition this weekend, and then later teh first 2 eps of Pailsen Files (after I finish with Monster). Thanks for turning me on to it!

Regarding mecha series that could be turned into live action movies, I think Macross Plus definitely. Its a very self contained, fairly simple story. Also, Big-O might not be a bad sone to look at. I was wonding if Gunbuster could make a good movie as well.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode!
Damn right, you're finishing Monster. ^_^

Just like you, I'll be starting my Votoms tour of duty soon, and I'm excited. I'm going to do my best to acquire those titles too so I can get the whole experience. As for the MP adaption, it would be the easiest to do, and your right, the story stands alone and the background can be easily laid out without a lot of explanation. Wish I thought of that! I always wanted to see Big O adapted too. With as much style as that show had, I think the creative team behind the production wouldhave a lot of fun bringing it to the silver screen.
thanatos wrote:Another great episode guys. Soul Bro, don't give up on getting that Char's Zaku cell phone. If Gundam has taught us anything, it's that awesome technology can randomly fall into our hands when we least expect it.

I don't see much hope for mecha on this side of the Pacific, Robotech, Voltron and Transformers being the expections as they already have a place in the childhood of many people. Most non-mecha aware people I know think of the power-loader from Aliens whenever I say "giant robot". US audiences would have to be slowly introduced to mecha (Metal Gear Solid perhaps?) before they would watch fast-moving, anthropomorphic mecha like Gundam. Baby steps here people. Don't expect to see those Gundam cosplay bars or condoms here anytime soon.

I really wanted G-Saviour to turn out well. I gave it the benefit of the doubt as much as I could. It's main failure is that it doesn't seem to have any sort of continuity with other UC series. It might as well have it's own universe.
Besides, as soon as I saw those Starship Troopers costumes, I threw my hands up in despair. A serious franchise like Gundam should stay far away from a comedy like that.

Thanks for the info on VOTOMS. I've always been meaning to look into it. I just never sat down a comitted myself to understanding how the series fit into one another.
There's a girl I know in San Diego that'll be getting the phone soon and I'm highly jealous. She a big fan of Gundam though, so I approve, and I'll be recording a promo for Gundamn! soon with her so I can start exchanging it with other shows.

Metal Gear looks like it might be falling into place. Even Christian Bale wants to play Solid Snake. Personally, I hope he gets the role. As gfor G-Saviour I thought it would be better, but when Chris and Neo started talking about it, thoughts of that PSX Gundam game with the live action cut scenes (with "fat" Char) came to mind. If it's on that level of bad, I'd gladly go back to the drawing board when it comes to making a live action version of MSG.

Guess most of us here have become Votoms converts. Way to go, Chris. Your diabolical plan worked! ^_^

Mad kudos for all the input so far gang. You guys are always on point. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
manmiles

Don't diss 'Fat Char,' food was all he had to comfort him after his father died.

I really enjoyed what I've seen of VOTOMS (I need to watch the rest of it, I only watched the first arc) and is definatly one of my favourite anime shows. As much as I like the 'Real Robot' shows like Gundam, the smaller scale of the VOTOMS allows for much more varied combat scenes, especially against humans with heavy artillary or light infantry. The only thing that can properly go against another Mobile Suit is usually another Mobile Suit and so a much more level battlefield makes for better scrummy battle bits.
SOCL

manmiles wrote:...the smaller scale of the VOTOMS allows for much more varied combat scenes, especially against humans with heavy artillary or light infantry. The only thing that can properly go against another Mobile Suit is usually another Mobile Suit and so a much more level battlefield makes for better scrummy battle bits.
Can't tell you how many times I turned to the other platoon leaders and said "What I would give for a mobile suit!" while patrolling Baghdad.

Of course, they'd just give me strange looks. :roll:
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kavik Ryx wrote:Great episode, and I have to say, there is probably no one, even in America who could pull off Char Aznable.

Not being a fan of movies, I'm okay with there never being an adaptation. Though F91, which I really liked personally, could possibly pull it off.
Thinking about it, I agree with you that F91 wouldn't be bad. Maybe because some parts of F91 felt imcomplete. Probably only would do well in Japan, due to the backstory.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Kavik Ryx

Just saw Roots of Ambition and I'm 2/3 through Merowlink. Red Shoulder File was a really strong OVA and Merowlink is just plain fun.