Idea Submission & General Feedback Thread

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Glasses!

How about how Gundam/mecha has influenced other anime genres? You can see that Gundam was influenced by other types of shows. For instance, martial-arts aspects in G-Gundam.
Who's Veda, Tieria? Your mommy?
karaokeninja

Re: RSS

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
karaokeninja wrote:Thanks! You should really put a link to that somewhere really obvious.
So far, I've updated the first post in this thread as well as the thread for the current episode. When Chris returns from his vacation, I'll let him know to place it in the Gundamn! section on the main site as well.

BTW, dig your podcast, man. Nice to be speaking with a pro in the field. Gotta lot to learn. ^_^
Hey, cool, glad you like our work. I'm not really sure you can call us PROS considering we don't get paid, hahaha. If you need any help or advice or anything, let me know.
-The Karaoke Ninja
Destroy All Podcasts DX
http://www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com
Tuxedo Mark

The next time that you review mecha video games, please review "Megazone 23: Aoi Garland" for the PS3, assuming that you can import it. I'm curious about that one (even though Kumi didn't reprise her role, *grumble*).
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
VentZX

Sorry I haven't given as much feedback as I would have liked SoulBro, but I have ONE request:

PLEASE find a way to incorporate the audio for this ad into your show. I mean, from the way that they pronounce Gundam as GunDamn! to the overall cheese factor, it would just be perfect. Just thought I'd point it out.
Kavik Ryx

I take it you guys will be getting into other shows like you did Macross. I've never seen the series, but I've been waiting feverishly to check out the DVD. Anyway, are you intending on looking at Ideon or Dunbine.
Also, I liked your whole futre of mecha, and it would be nice if you thought of more, especially since it made me realize that mech fans are probably thinking similar things in these respect, just don't know it. Which also made me thought about the question. What is the realest of mechs and what is the realest of Mobile Suits.
yazi88

How about doing a segment on the mascot of Gundam: Haro, from 0079 to Zeta to Victory, maybe even C.E and definitely 00.

Also a segment on the evolution of technology in U.C would be interesting too: from beam rifles to bits, psycommu, funnels, bio sensor, armor, beam shield, minovsky craft, etc.
manmiles

I have an idea for a segment.

Between the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series or the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie trilogy, which is the better version of the same story?
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:How about doing a segment on the mascot of Gundam: Haro, from 0079 to Zeta to Victory, maybe even C.E and definitely 00.

Also a segment on the evolution of technology in U.C would be interesting too: from beam rifles to bits, psycommu, funnels, bio sensor, armor, beam shield, minovsky craft, etc.
Don't worry, SoulBro's wanting to cover since the start of the show.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Draco Starcloud

What I would like to know is how much work goes into planning an episode of Gundamn?
Chris wrote:IMMA CHARGIN MAH MAHQ @_@
Draco's Lair - Latest Update: 1/9/10
Gundamium Alloy

Hi guys. Great show. Very informative. I'm still kinda new to Gundam but how about a show that talks about the popular hobby of building Gundam models. You could talk about all the different scales, model types, model tips etc.

Also, a segment discussing the music of Gundam would be great. The different styles, composers, etc.

Thanks.
Chris
Administrator

Draco Starcloud wrote:What I would like to know is how much work goes into planning an episode of Gundamn?
Before I joined, Adam and Paul had a large list of ideas and would pull from that list for each episode. Now that I'm on board, it's pretty much the same, although we use Google Docs to trade around ideas and list what we want to do for each episode. By the time we're ready to record on Sunday, we've already narrowed things down to the 3 topics we're going to discuss that day.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
V2Buster

You guys should try and get Matt Alt from ToyboxDX to come on and do a history of the japanese toy robot industry.

In fact, just try and get an english speaking expert of something mecha related on everything couple shows or so. Like Shawn the webmaster of Macross World or Mark Simmons.
Chris
Administrator

We've already got some special guests lined up, so be watching for those kinds of interviews in the future.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
SOCL

I'm sure this'll be in the news, but Gunota is reporting that Newtype USA will stop printing. I really, REALLY think you guys should discuss this on the next episode, if only for a two or three minutes, especially in the greater context of how anime seems to be becoming less and less popular--or, perhaps more appropriately, how it's leveling out from that initial explosion of popularity in the late 90's/early 00's.
SOCL

"You can be a Captain or a nobody--when your luck runs out, you die. That's how war is." -Bernie, 0080
Skippy438

I don't necessarily see Newtype USA closing down as a sign of a loss in anime popularity but moreso that the magazine industry is hemorrhaging money in comparison to the internet. It's happening all over the country, local newspapers are merging or closing their doors because subscription rates are at all time lows. Who wants to pay for a $6 (or more) magazine once a month when you can get the same information the moment it happens from the comfort of your home thanks to the web.
Soul Bro Ryu

V2Buster wrote:You guys should try and get Matt Alt from ToyboxDX to come on and do a history of the japanese toy robot industry.

In fact, just try and get an english speaking expert of something mecha related on everything couple shows or so. Like Shawn the webmaster of Macross World or Mark Simmons.
Great suggestion. Just like Chris said, we're networking with several folks at the moment, and some we actually have lined up. There's also several cons we plan on attending, like MegaCon & Comic-Con. If there are people having to do with mecha anime there, I'll fight hard to score interviews with them.
Draco Starcloud wrote:What I would like to know is how much work goes into planning an episode of Gundamn?
Chris pretty much hit the nail on the head. Google Docs is the sword of the Gods. We record & edit with Premiere. Skype is part of the ensemble as well.
Gundamium Alloy wrote:Hi guys. Great show. Very informative. I'm still kinda new to Gundam but how about a show that talks about the popular hobby of building Gundam models. You could talk about all the different scales, model types, model tips etc.

Also, a segment discussing the music of Gundam would be great. The different styles, composers, etc.

Thanks.
Both are really great subjects, and music and models are well overdue for discussion on the show. For the model one, a model building expert is absolutely needed for that segment. Any candidates on who we should contact?
SOCL wrote:I'm sure this'll be in the news, but Gunota is reporting that Newtype USA will stop printing. I really, REALLY think you guys should discuss this on the next episode, if only for a two or three minutes, especially in the greater context of how anime seems to be becoming less and less popular--or, perhaps more appropriately, how it's leveling out from that initial explosion of popularity in the late 90's/early 00's.
Damn. As expensive as that magazine is, I'm really sad that it's being discoed. The American leg of the anime industry has been fractured for quite some time, especially when fuel prices skyrocketed & the economy took a dip. Remember the good ol' days when we used to bitch that gas was around $1.50? What a cakewalk filling the tank was back then. ^_^

Getting to my point though about Newtype, anime retailers have been hit hard by this. A friend of Neo & I runs a store in downtown Orlando, and every year things have escalated from 9/11 his profits have taken more and more of a hit. I'm sure he's not the only small business owner that can attest to this, but since anime is a hobby, for anyone selling merchandise appealing to fandom have to be suffering especially hard.

The industry itself is, of course, no exception. Sure you can find anime at your local Best Buy, Fry's, FYE, or MovieStop, but I'm sure you've noticed that the selection isn't what it used to be. Mostly new volumes of series and box sets. Also on TV, anime is not as much of the ratings buzz as it used to be, find it on almost every channel with a youth demographic near the turn of the century. Now, even it's biggest proponent in the past, Adult Swim can't help but take shots at the art form every so often.

As a result, interest has wained and those that watch it now have found new ways to watch it for free via the internet. And why not? Most of it is too expensive in an age where most can barely afford to keep driving (with the rising costs of fuel & insurance). One of the reasons why Animerica turned into a free publication & Newtype is now closing it's doors in the States. A shame really, since it was nice to have such a stunningly designed magazine on our shores.

I would like to talk about this in our next episode too, since this news is relevant. Ep. 7 is already in the can, but when we do episode 8, I'll find some way to bring this into the conversation. If anything, it's a sign of the times and I can only hope that the industry can find an new way to ignite revenue, otherwise the whole medium on our shores might find itself totally underground again.
Skippy438 wrote:I don't necessarily see Newtype USA closing down as a sign of a loss in anime popularity but moreso that the magazine industry is hemorrhaging money in comparison to the internet. It's happening all over the country, local newspapers are merging or closing their doors because subscription rates are at all time lows. Who wants to pay for a $6 (or more) magazine once a month when you can get the same information the moment it happens from the comfort of your home thanks to the web.
You're certainly right, Skip. I, along with many others, were laid off from a local newspaper during the middle of last year due to that very reason. The printed word may not be a candidate for total extinction, but due to the internet, it's undergoing a very painful evolution.

Rest in Peace, Newtype USA. We hardly knew ye.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Tuxedo Mark

For the music segment, you could discuss the works of mecha anime music artists beyond mecha anime or even all of anime.

I can send you a CD with MP3s of Kumi Miyasato's songs. She's Eve from "Megazone 23". Just PM me.
"I want to have a pure time. Everyone's a noble mind."

The Wind's Lullabye: A Kumi Miyasato Tribute
http://supergirl.741.com/kumi/index.html

Gundam Girls
http://gundamgirls.blog.com
yazi88

Any chance about talking about Brain Powerd in the next show. Its a Tomino show but it has a rather happy ending and is rather good in my opinion despite the fact that some people keep comparing this show to evangelion. Does this count as a mech anime?
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:Any chance about talking about Brain Powerd in the next show. Its a Tomino show but it has a rather happy ending and is rather good in my opinion despite the fact that some people keep comparing this show to evangelion. Does this count as a mech anime?
Yes we will.

Check out episode 8 of Gundamn for the second part of the Tomino discussion. This will where we discuss his others works outside of Gundam.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

yazi88 wrote:Any chance about talking about Brain Powerd in the next show. Its a Tomino show but it has a rather happy ending and is rather good in my opinion despite the fact that some people keep comparing this show to evangelion. Does this count as a mech anime?
Neo's right, we most certainly will. It Tomino's done it, we'll be talking about it. Well, as much as we can about the shows we've collectively seen. I'll do my best to watch as much of Brain Powerd & Overman King Gainer as I can before we record this Sunday.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu