Ep. 157 - The Tryhards Halftime Report!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 157 - The Tryhards Halftime Report!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 157 - "The Tryhards Halftime Report!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 90 min., 20 sec. (1:30:20) - 41.4 MB

Episode Summary:
Our long overdue coverage of the first half of "Gundam Build Fighters Try" has finally arrived, as we discuss Eps. 1-13!

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:32:29

02. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:32:29 - 0:33:19

03. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:33:19 - 0:34:32

04. Main Segment: "Anime Spotlight - 'Gundam Build Fighters Try Halftime Report - Eps. 1-13" (TV Series, 2014)
Runtime: 0:34:32 - 1:19:15

05. Mech Talks! (Podcast) (Also Watch on YouTube!)
Runtime: 1:19:15 - 1:19:45

06. "#ExVsTheGundamnation - Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost Nights!" (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:19:45 - 1:21:24

07. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:21:24 - 1:30:20

Ask Gundamn or Leave a message:
Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Feedback & Social Networking:
- E-Mail: GundamnMAHQ(NoSpam)@gmail.com
- Twitter: @MAHQDotNet / @GundamnAtMAHQ / @CTCast
- MAHQ Facebook Group
- Forums: MechaTalk.net / Gundamn! @ MechaTalk.net
- Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324

Subscribe & Download Gundamn! @ MAHQ
- Main RSS Feed
- Gundamn! @ iTunes
- Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn
- YouTube: Gundamn! @ MAHQ / Chaos Theater / Shinjuku Station / ShinStation Fight Tube

Gundamn! @ MAHQ is a MAHQ & Shinjuku Station Joint
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Shinjuku Station Podcasting - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - ShinStation Fight Tube! - ShinStation Live!

Many thanks for listening & Happy New Year!
@SoulBroRyu
[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
YokozunaBulldozer

Re: Ep. 157 - The Tryhards Halftime Report!

In case anybody is wondering what Bandai has anything to do with go-bots the toys were originally created by Bandai under the name Machine Robo. And while the western world had the go-bots cartoon Japan was blessed with the anime Machine Robo: Revenge of Chronos, which had Obari as one of the staff members.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
phillosmaster

I think I'm in the minority definitely but I actually like Try better than the original series mostly because it embraced that sport tournament feel. I agree with SBR that I'm digging the 3 of 3 fights and it definitely gave me a King Of Fighters vibe. Also it helps showcase teamwork and tactics rather than just who has the bigger gun. I am enjoying the designs in the second series more as well since it feels like they are going a bit more wild with these designs which is giving us some really cool suits (like the awesomeness of the Tryon 3 and Bearguy F).

I was giving the show some flak originally because it felt like Fumina was getting the short end of the stick on the team. She was only running support and her Winning Gundam signature suit was an SD that broke itself up to become support gear. That really frustrated me. Then they moved into that storyline where she basically get's critiqued by Lady Kawaguchi for that exact reason. Because of that critique Fumina made the Star Winning Gundam, which was a much better design and lets her shine on her own rather than just run support all the time.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
YokozunaBulldozer

For myself TRY has always made me happy with all the nods to other sunrise works from Dragonar to the brave series to a good chunk of other popular works. The Obari scenes to me are also another reason to watch this show.
One thing I discovered regarding Tryon3 is that while it pays homage to the brave series in gimmick and design the color scheme and composition feels like a nod to Zambot3 and Daitarn3.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Vent Noir

Thanks for sticking up for Try. I like it for the most part, but the conversation around it in certain places has turned almost toxic (I don't dare look at 4chan to see the reactions there).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
phillosmaster

I'm curious to see why people are so negative toward the series (considering I'm liking it so much), but then again I'd rather not turn my eyes into burnt out holes by reading hate threads.

I would figure people would give it some slack considering it's a free stream of a current Japanese show. The audience basically had to put no time, money or effort into watching the show. Yeah it's a show made to build hype around model kits, but that's every Gundam series. Try is perhaps the show that is the most honest about that fact.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Chris
Administrator

Vent Noir wrote:Thanks for sticking up for Try. I like it for the most part, but the conversation around it in certain places has turned almost toxic (I don't dare look at 4chan to see the reactions there).
You don't even have to go that far when you can see all the negativity right here.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
gunform1010

phillosmaster wrote:I'm curious to see why people are so negative toward the series (considering I'm liking it so much), but then again I'd rather not turn my eyes into burnt out holes by reading hate threads.

I would figure people would give it some slack considering it's a free stream of a current Japanese show. The audience basically had to put no time, money or effort into watching the show. Yeah it's a show made to build hype around model kits, but that's every Gundam series. Try is perhaps the show that is the most honest about that fact.
Everyone is pissed about Sekai primarily. People hate him being the one being the finisher, the fact he almost exclusively uses Jigen Haoh (save his flying armbar), and the fact he tends to create powerful techniques on the spot (which isn't too bad except TODAY, where did that one come from).
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
phillosmaster

Thanks for summarizing it and saving me the grief. I think the guys nailed it. It's a shounen show. All that wouldn't be out of place in a shounen show. I wonder if people would be as critical if it was Luffy, Goku or Jo Jo pulling the same stunts.
Last edited by phillosmaster on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mobiusdiablo

phillosmaster wrote:Thanks for summarizing it and saving me the grief. I think the guys nailed it. It's a shonen show. All that wouldn't be out of place in a shonen show. I wonder if people would be as critical if it was Luffy, Goku or Jo Jo pulling the same stunts.
I actually do like TRY overall with a few exceptions - I feel we had far better rivals in the previous show mainly due to the fact there weren't so bloody many of them as Chris stated, and that most of them appeared almost halfway throughout the series and robbed them of potential develpment.

I do agree with gunform1010 on the last part though. Granted it wasn't covered due to it being Episode 20 that just came out, but
Spoiler
instead of focusing on the team aspect of the series and showing that the Power of Friendship (trademark) - a staple of this type of show - could overcome an angsty hateful opponent, we resort to Sekai fighting alone and pulling what I'd feel is a complete Deus ex Machina out of nowhere. Yeah, I know that happens in certain shonen shows too but that doesn't excuse crappy writing when it could've been so easily handled.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
phillosmaster

mobiusdiablo wrote: I do agree with gunform1010 on the last part though. Granted it wasn't covered due to it being Episode 20 that just came out, but
Spoiler
instead of focusing on the team aspect of the series and showing that the Power of Friendship (trademark) - a staple of this type of show - could overcome an angsty hateful opponent, we resort to Sekai fighting alone and pulling what I'd feel is a complete Deus ex Machina out of nowhere. Yeah, I know that happens in certain shonen shows too but that doesn't excuse crappy writing when it could've been so easily handled.
Spoiler
Sekai usually is the finisher because that is the function they carved for him on the team, with the other two focusing on support (something I hope changes now that they've redesigned their suits). Actually I felt it's more of a case of Sekai fights only one way and the Fumina and Yuu are more flexible so they work around Sekai.

On the topic of this week's ep I get what they were doing there. This was a personal grudge match between Sekai and his rival, and I would agree with the rest of the Try team sitting it out if it wasn't an actual tournament match. That I didn't like. This is a tournament with 3 on 3 battles. Did the Try fighter not want to win the tournament? It totally took me out of that sports theme. I'd say that is a valid critique. Sekai reigniting the build burning's magic RGish system through willpower felt like more of the same for me. Since the beginning of the series they've played on this theme of assimilation (I mean Sekai shoots a Phoenix out of his fists so when does it get too silly). It all felt like a page right out of GGG's playbook.

I think this might be part of the problem with the fandom's expectation. Series one could be viewed as a real robot show since they give you some pseudo science to explain away how all this works. Series two has been a super robot show from the start in my opinion, and I dig that.
gunform1010

phillosmaster wrote:
mobiusdiablo wrote: I do agree with gunform1010 on the last part though. Granted it wasn't covered due to it being Episode 20 that just came out, but
Spoiler
Spoiler
Sekai usually is the finisher because that is the function they carved for him on the team, with the other two focusing on support (something I hope changes now that they've redesigned their suits). Actually I felt it's more of a case of Sekai fights only one way and the Fumina and Yuu are more flexible so they work around Sekai.

On the topic of this week's ep I get what they were doing there. This was a personal grudge match between Sekai and his rival, and I would agree with the rest of the Try team sitting it out if it wasn't an actual tournament match. That I didn't like. This is a tournament with 3 on 3 battles. Did the Try fighter not want to win the tournament? It totally took me out of that sports theme. I'd say that is a valid critique. Sekai reigniting the build burning's magic RGish system through willpower felt like more of the same for me. Since the beginning of the series they've played on this theme of assimilation (I mean Sekai shoots a Phoenix out of his fists so when does it get too silly). It all felt like a page right out of GGG's playbook.

I think this might be part of the problem with the fandom's expectation. Series one could be viewed as a real robot show since they give you some pseudo science to explain away how all this works. Series two has been a super robot show from the start in my opinion, and I dig that.
Perhaps that's the case...

But as long as TRY has some enjoyable battles, I'm happy. The criticisms still hold ground though, but I can't cry "RUINED FOREVER".
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
phillosmaster

yeah I guess all I was saying there is that I can understand all those complaints, but for those reasons they just don't bug me. Since I was watching it in a relative vacuum I had assumed that the buzz was positive for the show since I was liking it so much.
SlowTurtle

Any word on when the review for Gundam: The Origin VIII is coming to Gundamn?
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Chris
Administrator

SlowTurtle wrote:Any word on when the review for Gundam: The Origin VIII is coming to Gundamn?
Already recorded and will be in the next episode.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Chavelo

Another great episode.

Try really starts to feel like I'm watching Dragonball Z. Including the "This isn't my final form" trope. As well as the writing trap of constantly needing to one up the power level of the last antagonist with crazier powers.

Probably will finish the season. But I was really hoping for more of a balance between the hardcore UC style combat and crazy shonen stuff. Something they did better in season 1, except toward the end, where fights were resolved with one super powered punch at times. It just felt like it did more to ingratiate the serious types and the fantastical types. Of course in the first season we had Cool-Hair Yuki as the serious pilot type. This time we have Yuuma and his retconned hair. Acts annoyingly uptight, except when it comes to Mirai.

That's just my opinion.