Ep. 145 - The Unboxing of the Universal Century

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 145 - The Unboxing of the Universal Century

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 145 - "The Unboxing of the Universal Century"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 199 min., 24 sec. (3:19:24) - 91.3 MB

Episode Summary:
Before Chris leaves for Summer hiatus, we close out the 4 year long coverage of Gundam Unicorn with a review of Ep. 7! Then in similar fashion, we wrap up our VOTOMS round-up with a discussion of all the OVAs of the 2000's onward!

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News/The Old Timey Drama Hour"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:49:39

02. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:49:39 - 0:50:29

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:50:29 - 0:51:19

04.1st Segment: Roundtable Discussion: "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 7 - 'Over The Rainbow'" (OVA, 2014)
Runtime: 0:51:19 - 2:01:04

05. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:01:04 - 2:01:32

06. "#ExVsTheGundamnation - Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost Nights!" (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:01:32 - 2:03:12

07. 2nd Segment: "VOTOMS Roundup - 'Pailsen Files, Phantom Arc, Case;IRVINE, VOTOMS Finder & Alone Again'" (OVA Series, 2007-2011)
Runtime: 2:03:12 - 3:07:35

08. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 3:07:35 - 3:08:24

09. "The Ballad of JoJo" by Garma Strikes! (#JoJoWithSoulBro)
Runtime: 3:08:24 - 3:11:31

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 3:11:31 - 3:19:24

Ask Gundamn or Leave a message:
Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Feedback & Social Networking:
- E-Mail: GundamnMAHQ(NoSpam)@gmail.com
- Twitter: @MAHQDotNet / @GundamnAtMAHQ / @CTCast
- MAHQ Facebook Group
- Forums: MechaTalk.net / Gundamn! @ MechaTalk.net
- Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324

Subscribe & Download Gundamn! @ MAHQ
- Main RSS Feed
- Gundamn! @ iTunes
- Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn
- YouTube: Gundamn! @ MAHQ / Chaos Theater / Shinjuku Station / ShinStation Fight Tube

Gundamn! @ MAHQ is a MAHQ & Shinjuku Station Joint
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Shinjuku Station Podcasting - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - ShinStation Fight Tube! - ShinStation Live!

Many thanks for listening!
@SoulBroRyu
[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Saber

Re: Ep. 145 - The Unboxing of the Universal Century

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but didn't the novel...
Spoiler
flat out say that original UC Charter contained an article that stated that all Space Colonies should automatically have autonomy from the Earth Federation, thus justifying the entire Zeon cause? I seem to recall having read this somewhere, and it makes more sense to supress this information, because it would rally more Spacenoids to the cause of Zeon. If that information got out, it would've probably meant that Earth had another One Year War on their hands.

If this was indeed what the novel stated, I kind of feel that the 15. article in the anime is kind of a lost-in-translation situation, because it kinda says it, but is still incredibly vague. It's phrased wierd, too.

By comparison, the depiction in the anime seems to play a lot more with the whole "possibility" thing.
Victorize

I haven't watched Alone Again or Phantom Arc yet (and thank you SoulBro for pointing out a more appropriate viewing order) but given how incredibly depressing Shining Heresy was - which I just watched yesterday - I think I'm going to choose not to skip ahead of production order and watch those first. The abominable reversal of Chirico's and Fyana's already near-pyrrhic victory was bad enough that I'm not ready to rub salt in the wound with further, even poorer-written sequels.

You didn't mention this in your review though, when pointing out the oddness of the production order of the last 2 sequels: Do you think perhaps there was so much initial backlash against Teitania's character after Shining Heresy that the decision to skip ahead and ignore her fate was the result of executive meddling? And that going back and resolving what happened to her was a further executive mandate due to too many people wanting to know why she wasn't in Phantom Arc? I literally just started watching VOTOMS after your first roundup so I don't know the online community's opinions or knowledge of such background info. Just some curious thoughts.
Gundam420

I guess I'm the only one who noticed the Unicorn Gundam shutting down the entire General Revil fleet with one hand.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
wielder

Gundam420: I guess it was such a literal handwave that some folks didn't remember that. ;)

Saber: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that was actually the case. They didn't change the clause.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
bullethead

Do you really need a conspiracy to have people say "This article in the Charter arbitrarily giving a hypothetical group of people potential control of all of humanity is a really dumb idea?" Then again, I guess a Japanese writer might not consider how things like this would affect a democratic government in the same light as a western viewer, but given Fukui's tendencies, who knows.
raijinz

I gotta say, even thought I've never even researched the Unicorn Novel, if you've watched most of the UC shows, seen how most OVAs end in general and notice what what kind of a person Banagher is, you can pretty much tell that the final episode was going to lack any kind of impactful payoff storywise.

Its similar to how the recent Dragonball Z movie (little spoiler)
Spoiler
ultimately didn't add anything meaningful to the series
. Its like without the shows original creators on-board, the other writers are too scared to take any risks with the established canon.

Heck, I would've been happier if the box had contained a load of cash like the Philosopher's Legacy in Metal Gear...
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
Chris
Administrator

Gundam420 wrote:I guess I'm the only one who noticed the Unicorn Gundam shutting down the entire General Revil fleet with one hand.
Waving your hand and knocking some suits off their sleds does not resolve a situation by itself.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Gundam420

Chris wrote:
Gundam420 wrote:I guess I'm the only one who noticed the Unicorn Gundam shutting down the entire General Revil fleet with one hand.
Waving your hand and knocking some suits off their sleds does not resolve a situation by itself.
Even then, does it really matter if they end up reactivating anyway? It's not like a bunch of Jegans and Rezels can do much against two fully awakened new-types with two Gundams that don't even need weapons to be rape machines.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator