Ep. 121 - The Mineva Monologues

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 121 - The Mineva Monologues

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 121 - "The Mineva Monologues"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 213 min., 27 sec. (3:33:26) - 97.7 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Special Guests: Stephanie Sheh & Dollow Rlance (Segment Two)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News & The Hopers & Dreamers Corner"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:44:37

02. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:44:37 - 0:45:10

03. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:45:10 - 0:45:39

04. 1st Segment: Roundtable Discussion: "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Episode 6" (OVA, 2013)
Runtime: 0:45:39 - 1:23:31

05. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:23:31 - 1:24:31

06. I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:24:31 - 1:25:22

07. 2nd Segment: "Breakfast at Audrey's! - An Interview with Stephanie Sheh"
Runtime: 1:25:22 - 2:34:52

08. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:34:52 - 2:35:42

09. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 2:35:42 - 2:36:55

10. Outro: "Closing/Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:36:55 - 3:33:26

We return to the world of the Universal Century in high fashion, covering the long awaited Gundam Unicorn Ep. 6! Then, we are joined by Dollow as sit down with the voice of Mineva Zabi herself, actress & producer Stephanie Sheh!

Endless thanks to Stephanie for taking time out of her busy schedule to join us on the show & to Dollow for arranging this interview. Don't hesitate to visit these websites and let Ms. Sheh know you heard her on Gundamn! @ MAHQ!

- Official Website
- IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1315809/
- ANN: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=3419
- Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanie_Sheh
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/stephaniesheh
- Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie ... 0078228204
- @Hollowship on Twitter

Even after all of that, you're still hankering for more Gundamn?! Well, catch us guest hosting on the following podcasts!
- Ikaricast: Season 4, Episode 30 (feat. Chris Guanche) - iTunes
- Ikaricast: Season 4, Episode 33 (feat. Neo Lorrnoke) - iTunes
- I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside: Episode 57 "Game-ception - Dot Hack" (feat. Neo Lorrnoke) - iTunes
- Tomocast Ep. 40: "Gundam" (feat. Chris & Soul Bro Ryu) - iTunes
- Anime Addicts Anonymous Ep. 153: "Anime Inventions & Mobile Suit Gundam AGE" (feat. Soul Bro Ryu) - iTunes

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)
- Ep. 002 - Top 5 Mecha Final Battles (Feat. Soul Bro Ryu)
- Ep. 003 - Favorite Gundamn Moments and Top 3 MSV
- Ep. 004 - Top 3 Anime that made us the fans we are/Top 5 Grunt Suits

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts & Videos also!:
- Chaos Theater: Sp. 003 - Hatercast feat. Austin Blake & Neo Lorrnoke! (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 006 - Open the Game! feat. Samantha Marchello & Scott Wachter of RPGamer.com! (FightersReady.net Thread)
- Shinjuku Station Fight Tube: Video Review - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Anime TV Series - Ep. 001 - "Dio the Destroyer"

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - MichaelBay.com: The Official Domain of His Bayness

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
yazi88

Re: Ep. 121 - The Minerva Monologues

Always surprises with VAs these days. As usual great job from Dollow.
Varnis

Re: Ep. 121 - The Mineva Monologues

Another Awesome show as always and hopefully forever will be

On a quick side note...I'd be more than willing to give Soul Bro another task for the Nostalgic Crusaders to tackle...I've been feeling a little Nostalgic myself lately :D
What more can i say? That's the way things are!
NastyNate

Stephanie made some great points about fan subs. I never thought about how companies that license even just subbing an anime, actually put money back in the Japan industry. I think not watching a fan sub if it is not available is a little far, but I might think twice about watching them now if they are available on a legal site like crunchyroll. Now if I could decide what to do if is done by a company out of business like bandai. I figure if I can't put money back to the creator then anything goes. However, I think Stephanie changed a lot of ways I view the industry and anime.

I would like to comment about the Unicorn using chars counter attack animation. I repeatedly get called by friends that I'm crazy for spending 50 dollars and waiting almost a year for a 1 hour video. I always assure them that the quality makes it worth it. I feel that it is messed up that I had to wait almost a year and pay 50 dollars for an episode and they can't take the time to reanimate a few seconds of video. Video games do it all the time and it's not like they are pressed for time or short on budget. It's just laziness and I don't like it. That said it's no big deal and I'll still buy the episode. I'm just not going to defend them and I wanted to state my stance against what they did. That is all. :D
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Chris
Administrator

NastyNate wrote:I feel that it is messed up that I had to wait almost a year and pay 50 dollars for an episode and they can't take the time to reanimate a few seconds of video. Video games do it all the time and it's not like they are pressed for time or short on budget. It's just laziness and I don't like it.
But that's just your assumption that it's "laziness" and you have zero proof for it. In Metal Gear Solid 4, when Snake returns to Shadow Moses, there are flashback sequences where suddenly you're playing in MGS1 PS1 graphics. So by your definition is that laziness or a nostalgic reference? When a show like DESTINY recycles animation of Freedom to be Strike Freedom without changing the suit's design, sure that's sloppy work. But throwing out "laziness" as an accusation in animation is something that people do far too casually without really thinking about it.

On a separate note, to say that video games aren't pressed for time or on a budget is incredibly uneducated. If you read about the 80 or more hours a week that developers have to work during "crunch periods" to meet deadlines, you wouldn't make that statement.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
NastyNate

Chris wrote:On a separate note, to say that video games aren't pressed for time or on a budget is incredibly uneducated. If you read about the 80 or more hours a week that developers have to work during "crunch periods" to meet deadlines, you wouldn't make that statement.
Not trying to argue with what your saying but after reading my sentence I see how that came off wrong.
NastyNate wrote:they can't take the time to reanimate a few seconds of video. Video games do it all the time and it's not like they are pressed for time or short on budget. It's just laziness and I don't like it. That said it's no big deal and I'll still buy the episode. I'm just not going to defend them and I wanted to state my stance against what they did. That is all. :D
I meant that to read: "Video games animate quick short 10 seconds of animation all the time. It's not like Gundam Unicorn was pressed for time or short on budget"

Sorry for the confusion. You are correct Video games are very much pressed for time and most of the time short on budget.

You also make good points for justifing putting in old animation in your post and on Gundamn. I personally just disagree that they could have reanimated it and it would not have been a big deal for them to do it. But like I said it's no big deal and I'll still buy it. I just wanted to share my feelings on the matter. Thanks. :D

On a side note. Shovel knight as the new avatar huh? 8) I did not know you where that big into indie games. I take it your picking it up on the 3ds? I'd like to check it out if they bring it to the vita.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Dollow

I am happy how this interview came out, for everyone out there Ms. Sheh was the last of my three top VAs that I wanted to get, along with Mr. Epcar and Mr. Freeman, so with this I feel like I have reached my goals for when I first started out.

I hope everyone listens hard to what Ms. Sheh said, as everything she said is the honest truth, and think twice about what you do on the net.

As far as Gundam Unicorn Ep 6, I will say that whole CCA footage being used, it did take me out of the episode, simply do to the fact it clashes with the animation of the OVA, I know the comparison was made of using footage from MGS in Zeta was made, but when that happened, MGS was only 5 years old, compared to this with CCA to UC which is 1988 to 2013, 25 years, for me I don't think it was lazy, just a poor choice to present the story. But Good review, I did like the episode and cannot wait for the ending to come.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Arbiter GUNDAM

Excellent episode, probably one of the best yet. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Excellent episode, probably one of the best yet. :)

Every episode is the best one yet. 8)
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:

Is that a guarantee you're offering there Neo?
Kind of like Soul Bro's one he offers on reviews? :P

As for this episode the interview with Stephanie Sheh was rather interesting she has some strong opinions on piracy and some are understandable.
However there are some small curious points or questions would like to ask her.

Haven't seen episode 6 of Unicorn, so no comment.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:

Is that a guarantee you're offering there Neo?
Kind of like Soul Bro's one he offers on reviews? :P

As for this episode the interview with Stephanie Sheh was rather interesting she has some strong opinions on piracy and some are understandable.
However there are some small curious points or questions would like to ask her.

Haven't seen episode 6 of Unicorn, so no comment.
Stating fact has nothing to do with guarantees.

Figures an Australian would have issues with stealing.

What your curious points or questions you'd like to ask?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

Hey 95% stuff of my shows I have are legit DVDs or whatever :P
I always kind of wondered what she thinks, if a show can't get out over to say the US, it obviously still is piracy but, same time, the Japanese never bother even try and export some shows.
I mean look at what happened to poor old Turn A Gundam when it had a chance before Bandai Entertainment croaked and died.

And come on man, your best episode was pretty literally half this episodes number back when you had the General on back in episode 60.
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote:Hey 95% stuff of my shows I have are legit DVDs or whatever :P
I always kind of wondered what she thinks, if a show can't get out over to say the US, it obviously still is piracy but, same time, the Japanese never bother even try and export some shows.
I mean look at what happened to poor old Turn A Gundam when it had a chance before Bandai Entertainment croaked and died.

And come on man, your best episode was pretty literally half this episodes number back when you had the General on back in episode 60.
In Australian: Legit = Stolen

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Momaru

Great ep. guys! Really enjoyed the interview and I do mostly agree with Stephanie about piracy except where it comes to shows that have never been licensed and never will be licensed let alone get English subs. If some show does become available eventually that you watched fansubs of then go buy it! Honestly theres so many legal ways to watch anime there's really no excuse these days. I think that piracy is "rampant" because most fans are tweens and teens who have little to none disposable income in the first place.

How I'd kill Kio: Have his pregnant mom get killed by a MS crashing and blowing up on her. Gotta do it classic gundam style!

I gotta wonder why people are complaining so much about Unicorn using 10 seconds of beautiful HD footage of counterattack... Haters gonna hate.
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Victorize

Long time lurker and fan (since I found this cast back in fall '09) here finally going to the trouble of making an account to ask the following question:

SBR, what is this alternate version of Asu E you use every so often during segment transitions? My google/youtube fu isn't turning up anything for me.
Soul Bro Ryu

Victorize wrote:SBR, what is this alternate version of Asu E you use every so often during segment transitions? My google/youtube fu isn't turning up anything for me.
It's from the single released by Galileo Galilei when AGE first started airing. Here's the info I have on this release:
"Galileo Galilei - Mobile Suit Gundam AGE OP - Ashita e"
Tracks:
01. "Ashita e" - 5:16
02. "Punipuniwan-chan" - 1:48
03. "Maple" - 4:15
04. "Ashita e" (TV Version) - 1:30
--- Cover of Single ---

Hope this info helps!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu