Ep. 115 - Gundamn!...Into Darkness

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 115 - Gundamn!...Into Darkness

hawk of endymion wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:It is your eternal question to find the answer to, where is he?
He could even be here in Australia, but apparently he's known as Wally (yeah we got different name)
Which when you come across "Odlaw" his evil twin, it doesn't make much sense :P
No, my eternal question is when will the robots attack?

And wouldn't Waldo in Australia be known as......prisoner 0386-9275-237?
Very possible if he is wearing black and white stripes for an outfit.
Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:Chris reached his limit. For years, he's heard this "if Bandai did this; if we had Gundam in the U.S etc", and for once something was available (the reprint of the Origin). And you heard the numbers, just 3,000 orders, proving Gundam fans are like most fans now, all talk and no action. So, I can understand his frustration.
I think that frustration is a bit misplaced. Who's to say that there aren't only 4,000 hopers and dreamers, and every single one of them pre-ordered The Origin? And what about those who plan to buy it after release (or is it only a made to order sort of thing)?

And what of 'realists' who just shrug their shoulders and say "Why should I preorder it? It won't make a difference anyways." There are lots of reasons why the pre-order numbers aren't higher and I don't think you should lash out at only the hopers and dreamers for it.

Your point that "Gundam won't see a revival, and this here is the proof" is valid, though I think using 00's TV ratings or the like is better served to support it.

But 10,000? Who's hoping and dreaming now? :lol: But seriously, I think 4,000 is a pretty big number considering the manga appeals to a very specific demographic (english anime fans who read manga, like Gundam, particularly UC Gundam, etc).

I don't believe Chris is a cynic or anything. Actually I think his frustration is proof that he himself is a bit of a hoper and dreamer. I mean, if he wasn't he'd have known Origin wouldn't do so well and he'd have set himself up better for the disappointment. He wouldn't have gone on this particularly heated STE. While he doesn't let them blind him, his hopes and dreams are also being crushed.

People should definitely put their money where their mouth is but at the same time I don't expect them to buy something they don't want. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing Gundam be successful over here again, but I have no interest in The Origin so I'm not going to buy it.

As for Neo's comment on the SEED movie, yes there are other writers in Japan, but we're talking about the head writer, the one who invented the SEED universe, so you can't just replace her (no matter how much that would improve the work).

As for TV editing, I actually think the edits of Digimon and Cardcaptors were better than the original Japanese versions. Digimon because the music makes everything far more exciting (the Japanese music makes the show so dull), and Cardcaptors because it got rid of more of the squicker CLAMP staples. As a kid I never got the impression that Li was supposed to be the main character. In fact my brother would often mock me for watching it and I would say "You just don't like it because the main character is a girl!" Even looking back on it the only thing that I can see as them trying to make Li the main character is that the first episode they aired was the one when Li shows up.

Also, Burning Gundam is a much cooler name IMO than God Gundam. I wonder why the Lumber Gundam was changed to the Grizzly Gundam, though.

I woke up every Saturday morning to watch 4kid's One Piece. It was hilariously terrible :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Your point that "Gundam won't see a revival, and this here is the proof" is valid, though I think using 00's TV ratings or the like is better served to support it.

But 10,000? Who's hoping and dreaming now? :lol: But seriously, I think 4,000 is a pretty big number considering the manga appeals to a very specific demographic (english anime fans who read manga, like Gundam, particularly UC Gundam, etc).
Many companies aren't very open about ratings data. I've never seen any for 00's TV run. Also, way for people to keep missing a completely obvious point. I never said that *I* expected Origin's preorders to be that high. I said that if the American Gundam community was as big and powerful as fans delude themselves into thinking it is, the preorders should've been higher. Not the same thing.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

I know. Neo's the one who said it could have gotten 10,000.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."