Ep. 109 - A Vertical Place of Origin

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 109 - A Vertical Place of Origin

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 109 - "A Vertical Place of Origin"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 162 min., 7 sec. (2:42:07) - 74.3 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Special Guest: Ed Chavez, Marketing Director at Vertical Inc. (Extended Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News & The Hopers & Dreamers Corner"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:29:45

02. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:29:45 - 0:30:30

03. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:30:30 - 0:31:20

04. Extended Segment: "Inside Vertical Inc. - An interview with Ed Chavez"
Runtime: 0:31:20 - 1:59:38

05. I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:59:38 - 2:00:45

06. Outro: "Closing/The Gundamn Mailbag!/Peep the Websites!/Shoutouts"
Runtime: 2:00:45 - 2:42:07

Ed Chavez from Vertical Inc. joins us for an in-depth interview about the Manga industry and discusses Vertical's upcoming release of "Gundam: The Origin"! Many thanks to Ed for joining us and make sure to visit Vertical-Inc.com and follow him on Twitter @Vertical_Ed! Want to ensure that "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin" continues it's run domestically? Then, don't sleep! Pre-order your copy of Vol. 1 immediately at Right Stuf & Amazon!

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the Gundamn! @ MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)
- Ep. 002 - Top 5 Mecha Final Battles (NEW! Feat. Soul Bro Ryu)

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music featured in this Episode:
Details coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - MichaelBay.com: The Official Domain of His Bayness

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 109 - A Vertical Place of Origin

It's sad that there are no posts about an interesting interview with an industry insider.

But the thread about the Hopes and Dreams segment in the same episode is at two pages already.

Rise forth from the Lake of Fire, Dream Crusher and set the world right!
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
ZeonsSilverStar

Caught the episode yesterday but I've been too busy to post. Anyway I went ahead and preordered volume one of Origin on Amazon. I was fortunate enough to have lived near a library a few years back that had some issues of Origin but they only went up to the fight against Ramba Ral. It'll be nice to add the Origin to my collection of Gundam literature, a collection that is small to say the least.

Now on the bit about custom color mobile suits I guess I'm the only person who likes the Dijeh, that suit had had character.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
sweet-d

Just now got around to listening to this. That was a great interview with Ed Chavez and I also preordered Volume 1 of The Origin on right stuf. I have the first 6 volumes of a previous release now I get to see how much I can get for those on ebay.
Francheska is a horrible colony.
Arbiter GUNDAM

hawk of endymion wrote:It's sad that there are no posts about an interesting interview with an industry insider.

But the thread about the Hopes and Dreams segment in the same episode is at two pages already.

Well Neo, if you were on Facebook, you'd know that there are already some comments for this episode there. :)

In any case, the interview with Mr. Chavez has sold me. I'll pre-order the origin as soon as I can.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:It's sad that there are no posts about an interesting interview with an industry insider.

Well Neo, if you were on Facebook, you'd know that there are already some comments for this episode there. :)

In any case, the interview with Mr. Chavez has sold me. I'll pre-order the origin as soon as I can.
Talking about it on Facebook doesn't help MAHQ.net or Mechatalk. :evil:
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
bertman4

I want to thank the folks at Gundamn for interviewing Mr Chavez. The interview was outstanding. It was quite insightful, and his views of the manga industry as a whole, was greaty appreciated. I knew the manga industry in Japan was huge, but I had not idea how huge. No wonder other markets are a far and distant second place concern.

Here's my favorite part of the interview to hammer home this idea.
"In the world of publishing, the manga industry in Japan is almost a third of all the publishing in that country. The manga industry in Japan is larger than the entire comics industry in the States, including all the movie revenue that Marvel and DC make. For a country that is a third the size of the States, that’s insane. Our market for them is a pittance. It’s not even a tenth of their market over there. They really don’t care when it comes to publishing." - Ed Chavez

My problem is that e-publishing in Japan is sometimes saa backwords. I am eagerly awaiting the Kindle release in Japan. Maybe then I can finally start getting Japanese e-books. I think the same goes for the music industry in Japan. A few months ago, i wanted to purchase an MP3 album from Amazon Japan. Guess what? I got a "not available in your region" message. I'm trying to give them money and they are screwing it up. That's how you keep the pirates going.
Last edited by bertman4 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hotlimit

Local manga store owner was JUST talking about Ed Chavez the other day, and then I'm shocked to find out my favorite podcast had done an interview with him! Everyone should follow his twitter, he's pretty candid about industry stuff.

@SoulBroRyu: What the heck is that song at 2:01:00?! The one that plays throughout the beginning of the mailbag?
Dollow

Got around to hearing this, I wm glad we are getting the Origin here, got my preorder. Fun to hear how a manga works here in the states.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Soul Bro Ryu

hotlimit wrote:Local manga store owner was JUST talking about Ed Chavez the other day, and then I'm shocked to find out my favorite podcast had done an interview with him! Everyone should follow his twitter, he's pretty candid about industry stuff.

@SoulBroRyu: What the heck is that song at 2:01:00?! The one that plays throughout the beginning of the mailbag?
Glad you enjoyed the ep! Both songs in the closing segment are "Online Menu Music" (@2:01:00) & "Character Select Music" (@2:33:45) from Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
yazi88

Mr. Chavez insight and info about manga going digital was quite interesting and opened my eyes that going digital is not always a great thing to rush to these days.

Consider my pre-order for Origin checked. Hope you guys can interview Mr. Chavez again sometime in the future.
Mu La Flaga

This was an interesting episode to listen to with the behind the scenes of the Origin re-release.
Just to say that much at least.
It also has my interest in it potentially also.
Momaru

Sounds awesome! I'm glad that the fine folks at Vertical are giving the Origin a proper release. I also just put in my preorder. I'm hoping and dreaming that this manga does well enough for Vertical for them to bring the unicorn novels (and/or the manga) over here too. Ed hinted at CDA and actually, theres a few other titles floating around like Glory of the Defeated and AoZ that perhaps stand a chance. Having bought a few manga that Vertical has published in the past I can attest to their high quality and premium format being well worth the price. So please support Verticals release of this manga!
Tell me why, at this turning point in our history, must we fight amongst each other and further pollute the earth?
- Char Aznable, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I laughed so hard at the end clip. Where does that come from?

I'm interested in getting those origin books, especially with the extra artwork and stuff they included. I'll start working on that once my life stops being completely ruined.

--

My favorite shot from GW is during the end fight with Zero and Epyon as they're barrel rolling down a hallway at top speed and the camera zooms in on Wing Zero as it turns. Just amazing. My favorite shot from EW is during the duel with Altron and the Wing Zero flaps its wings and boosts way up above the Altron. Just incredibly graceful, and it shows how Heero was completely controlling the distance in the fight. EW just has amazing work in terms of animation and physics in the motion of the MS.

My favorite shot in Zeta is when Kamille is crying in bed and grabbing the bedsheets as he wails over his dead parents. I laughed so hard because of how dumb he looked. Sorry. >,>;
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
frezhanez

For me this is the very interesting episode and the behind the scenes of the Origin re-release.
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Steve Martin "