Ep. 104 - Consoles and Crossbones

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 104 - Consoles and Crossbones

steeltamashii wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote: Really, the 360 requires like 19 discs now for game. Also, I don't think the general gaming audience is as price sensitive as you think. For example, the iPad, most people who bought an iPad can't afford one but they got it day one. The general gaming audience falls into that demographic and mentality.
It's true that the general gaming audience isn't extremely price sensitive (and has been known to spend exuberant amounts of money for the newest games and consoles), but at the same time I think a new console would probably sell a lot better at say $299 rather than $599. Sure, if they really want it they can save up for it, but I don't know many people that would just drop $500 on a new console, especially if said console is not backward compatible with the games on the previous machine. (The iPad 2 and 3 were still compatible with the past apps and games on their previous incarnation, so you didn't have to pay for completely new apps as soon as you got the new model) Not to mention the 360 and PS3 still sell like hotcakes, so i don't think Microsoft and Sony are under as much pressure to release a new machine as much as Nintendo is. As for the 19 discs per game, I can't really speak on that since do not own a 360.
So you agree with my point, but then you're back to your weak argument. Time to get out of the land of hopes and dreams.
So the cheaper a new console is the faster it will sell, hell based on your logic the new consoles should be free. If I recall correctly, the PS3 was sold as a loss leader when it came out at $600, it sold and seems to be a pretty good value at $100/year ($600/6 years = $100/year). And let's be honest, it was a bargain at that price being both a game console and blu-ray player. And just because you don't know many people that can drop $500 on a new console, doesn't mean that there are not people out that can. So, hate to break to you, you're not the target market for Sony or Microsoft at that point.

And why is backward compatibly so important now, because that feature is going to increase the list price of console. Really, what would motivate a company to allow players to play games from previous generations for free, when they sell them online through PSN, etc. I know people hate to hear this but companies exist to make money and they use that money to develop products and services through innovation, so without that no new stuff.

Just remember its just a hobby and if its too expensive for you, find something new.

And don't feel bad that you are wrong, but you are.

Fight on, Game Console Freedom Fighter!
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote: And why backward compatibly, so important now, because that feature is going to increase the list price of console. Really, what would motivate a company to allow players to play games from previous generations for free, when they sell them online through PSN, etc. I know people hate to hear this but companies exist to make money and they use that money to develop products and services through innovation, so without that no new stuff.

Just remember its just a hobby and if its too expensive for you, find something new.

Just wanted to add a small bit in here.

There is a point I kind of made in a mailbag entry on Chaos Theater.
You can't always find every game you want digitally sometimes.

Usually it tends to be the better choice list of games.
I have no qualms with it, I'm slowly doing it for some of my PSP games, so I have less UMDs to carry and also got some small games to trade in.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote: And why backward compatibly, so important now, because that feature is going to increase the list price of console. Really, what would motivate a company to allow players to play games from previous generations for free, when they sell them online through PSN, etc. I know people hate to hear this but companies exist to make money and they use that money to develop products and services through innovation, so without that no new stuff.

Just wanted to add a small bit in here.

There is a point I kind of made in a mailbag entry on Chaos Theater.
You can't always find every game you want digitally sometimes.

Usually it tends to be the better choice list of games.
I have no qualms with it, I'm slowly doing it for some of my PSP games, so I have less UMDs to carry and also got some small games to trade in.
And you have a valid point, not everything is going to be available for the next generation. But his point was affordability and the more bells and whistles you add, the more the price goes up. And I'm sure backwards capability will contribute to an increase in price. So if you're price sensitive, you can't have it both ways.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

Yeah that seems to be the downside of it.
Part of PS3's whole price drop was taking out BC for it pretty much.
hawk of endymion

Yeah, I'm not saying its cool, but its how things are priced.

Warden giving you a lot of computer time tonight, Mu. You win prisoner of the month or something?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

Yeah Vent Noir got more time in his cell and I got more yard time :P
steeltamashii

hawk of endymion wrote:
steeltamashii wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote: Really, the 360 requires like 19 discs now for game. Also, I don't think the general gaming audience is as price sensitive as you think. For example, the iPad, most people who bought an iPad can't afford one but they got it day one. The general gaming audience falls into that demographic and mentality.
It's true that the general gaming audience isn't extremely price sensitive (and has been known to spend exuberant amounts of money for the newest games and consoles), but at the same time I think a new console would probably sell a lot better at say $299 rather than $599. Sure, if they really want it they can save up for it, but I don't know many people that would just drop $500 on a new console, especially if said console is not backward compatible with the games on the previous machine. (The iPad 2 and 3 were still compatible with the past apps and games on their previous incarnation, so you didn't have to pay for completely new apps as soon as you got the new model) Not to mention the 360 and PS3 still sell like hotcakes, so i don't think Microsoft and Sony are under as much pressure to release a new machine as much as Nintendo is. As for the 19 discs per game, I can't really speak on that since do not own a 360.
So you agree with my point, but then you're back to your weak argument. Time to get out of the land of hopes and dreams.
So the cheaper a new console is the faster it will sell, hell based on your logic the new consoles should be free. If I recall correctly, the PS3 was sold as a loss leader when it came out at $600, it sold and seems to be a pretty good value at $100/year ($600/6 years = $100/year). And let's be honest, it was a bargain at that price being both a game console and blu-ray player. And just because you don't know many people that can drop $500 on a new console, doesn't mean that there are not people out that can. So, hate to break to you, you're not the target market for Sony or Microsoft at that point.

And why is backward compatibly so important now, because that feature is going to increase the list price of console. Really, what would motivate a company to allow players to play games from previous generations for free, when they sell them online through PSN, etc. I know people hate to hear this but companies exist to make money and they use that money to develop products and services through innovation, so without that no new stuff.

My point was there isn't as much pressure for Microsoft and Sony to release a new console then there is for Nintendo. I personally don't care if they release a new console or not in the next year or two, it would make more sense from the consumer standpoint to go ahead and wait til more games come out for the new console anyway and get it in a sale on Black Friday or something instead of buying the thing launch day when there isn't many games and the cost is higher. I'm sure from the corporate standpoint it would be better if everyone bought it on launch day, but i can pretty much guarantee that won't happen.

Thank you for the title though, i think i'm gonna keep that.
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
hawk of endymion

If that was your point, why did most of your post deal with affordability?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

steeltamashii

hawk of endymion wrote:If that was your point, why did most of your post deal with affordability?
That was the topic that was questioned in your original reply, so I wanted to explain my rationale. Personally however, cost is a factor that i still take into consideration. It's one of the reasons why i waited to get my PS3.

That being said, the main point I wanted to get across was that even though next-gen console releases from Microsoft and Sony are imminent in the near future, they aren't under as much pressure as Nintendo is. The consumer base still seems pretty happy with their 360s and PS3s. The games that were shown off at E3 seem to run fine on the 360 and PS3, and a few of those games aren't coming out until late 2012 or later. Nintendo on the other hand has the machine that most desparately needs an upgrade, so it makes sense that they are releasing a new console right now.

I hope this post was alot clearer as to my point that I wanted to get across.
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Gundam420

What's the name of the song playing at the end of the Crossbone segment?
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator