Ep. 103 - A Time to Kio

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 103 - A Time to Kio

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 103 - "A Time to Kio"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 153 min., 54 sec. (2:33:54) - 70.5 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:22:13

02. Next Time on Chaos Theater - "Episode 028: Torchwood" (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:22:13 - 0:24:11

03. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:24:11 - 0:25:01

04. 1st Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam AGE - Generation Three - Episodes 29 - 32 Review" (Discussion)
Runtime: 0:25:01 - 1:25:06

05. Next Time on Fighters Ready! - "Episode 004: Show 'em tha' Guap, man!" (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:25:06 - 1:26:44

06. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:26:44 - 1:27:44

07. 2nd Segment: "The Western Influence on Mecha" (Listener Submitted Topic)
Runtime: 1:27:44 - 1:55:44

08. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:55:44 - 1:56:11

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:56:11 - 1:56:55

10. Outro: "The Gundamn Mailbag!/Closing/Soul Bro's Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:56:55 - 2:33:54

We kick off our reviews of the 3rd Generation of Gundam Age! Then we discuss our thoughts on the appearances of Mecha in Western-based fiction! Many thanks to Silverfox_Blade for the great topic suggestion!

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the Gundamn! @ MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts also!:
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 026 - Tiger & Bunny (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 027 - The Films of Pixar (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Ep. 008 - DAMN YOU, ThreeA! (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Ep. 007 - The Girls of Gunpla (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 003 - Beauties of the Brain Case! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music featured in this Episode:
Details coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Strike Zero

Re: Ep. 103 - A Time to Kio

Gundamn you, Soul Bro, what if I'd had food in my mouth when I read the title?! :lol:

Downloading now!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Mu La Flaga

Ok let's see.
Not watching Gundam Age, can't comment on that again.

On your 2nd segment "Western Influences on mecha"

You guys hit up most of the main ones, Aliens the Powerloader, Avatar's similar mechs some soldiers used, Robocop and ED-209 namely.
Centurions, Exo-Squad also both fit in, I was thinking Neo would bring up Soul Bro's hate for Centurions.

Cybernator is a game I have played and not quite completed, still got it for SNES, not sure if one day will get the un-edited PS2 version maybe, but I did find that game.

There are games which also have had bosses or units that are mechs of sorts.
Axelay had a boss in the 2nd level looked like one and the final level had some kind of scouting walker with a search light.

There is also others like Starwing had enemies of that sort.
A better example was the SNES game Vortex if you've ever played it?, your main machine is a mecha which can transform to a jet, tank and buggy.

I haven't had huge experience playing Battletech as an actual board game thing, but I have played 1-2 of the mechwarriors games myself, namely 4 and 4 mercenaries.

One other game note which has them is Starcraft you have the Goliath Terran units, SCVs are power armor units to build things.
Protoss have Dragoons those tank like plasma-canon spider like walkers.

Finally as for the mailbag I forgot you have Dr Doom in there and also Titanium Man for others to add.
And I know which Avengers series Soul Bro refers to.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
I myself would recommend this series and yeah Ultron is awesome in the series for the time he is there.

Can't say much more, but to Neo for the Sentinel model armors those were in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, fairly sure of that.

I mean it did get rather bad at one point when the Sentinels took over Earth and the timeline in the future.
Namely it was Master Mold who seemed to do this and also made the Nimrod model Sentinels.

Spider Slayers I did enjoy, even though in the 90s series Alistair Smythe gave up on the 3 giant robot models when they all got trashed.
Later on he became mechanically enhanced making him the ultimate one and able to walk, shoot energy blasts, ect.

That is all I can think of.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Do you think you guys could adjust the bass on Neo's mic or something? Maybe it's just my speakers having strong bass or something, but many times the episodes are hard to listen to at a good volume because Neo's voice just shakes everything and reverberates through the entire room. It happens a lot with male voices, I guess.

Slightly surprised that you guys didn't mention Megas, but I guess it's been discussed enough on the show. Personally I don't appreciate Megas much, because as a parody, I couldn't take it seriously, and I think for the west it was too soon for a parody when the genre had barely even taken root. Parody isn't a good way to garner fans or respect for the genre in my opinion.

The armors in Matrix 3 were okay, I guess, but the design was horrible due to the fact they they could not reload their own machineguns and required guys on foot to run ammo to them and perform the reload.

I thoroughly enjoyed the silverback mechs in Gears of War 3. They had the opposite problem where they had infinite ammo, lol, but damn it were they fragile! I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't use them in a fun* situation, but only in really stressful situation where you were likely to die. Well, I guess we can always try to use them in horde mode instead.

I really enjoyed the music in the ep, Soul Bro. Thanks for another episode. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Chris
Administrator

Seraphic wrote:Slightly surprised that you guys didn't mention Megas, but I guess it's been discussed enough on the show.
We didn't mention it because we were mainly discussing things from our youth. None of us were kids when Megas aired.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Chavelo

Thanks for finishing off my week with a laugh. The whole conversation about Wootbit left me stifling a laugh during work.

It might just be me. But Kio looks way too much like his mom. Someone needs to give him a haircut!
steeltamashii

First i wanted to say great ep guys, you guys make my commute a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Second i wanted to get your opinion on something. What is your opinion on Virtual-On and Custom Robo (two mech games that you didn't bring up in your discussion)? Those are probably two of my favorite mech games and was wondering your take on them.
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
yazi88

Wasn't there a animated series on Battletech?
Mu La Flaga

yazi88 wrote:Wasn't there a animated series on Battletech?
Yes there was by Harmony Gold I believe in part :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Seraphic wrote:Do you think you guys could adjust the bass on Neo's mic or something? Maybe it's just my speakers having strong bass or something, but many times the episodes are hard to listen to at a good volume because Neo's voice just shakes everything and reverberates through the entire room. It happens a lot with male voices, I guess.
Its because my voice speaks the truth and your pathetic speakers can't handle it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

steeltamashii wrote:First i wanted to say great ep guys, you guys make my commute a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Second i wanted to get your opinion on something. What is your opinion on Virtual-On and Custom Robo (two mech games that you didn't bring up in your discussion)? Those are probably two of my favorite mech games and was wondering your take on them.
Never played Custom Robo, and I only occasionally played Virtual-On at local arcades, which are now extinct. Virtual-On is pretty good, but I never really got into it much.
bertman4

I LOL when Chris said "A bag of Mario coins."

But, I want to point something out. Gundamn has been pretty consistent when idiot fans speak out about Gundam in the US. You always point out that Gundam is a show made in Japan by the Japanese for the Japanese market. They don't care about the rest of the world, and their viewpoints are reflected in the shows.

So, what makes you think that views on health insurance is any different? I specifically refer to the fact that you ridiculed Shanalua because you thought Federation (military) would have better health care, and therefore she would have been able to care for her ill sister (who probably has mysterious coughing-up-blood disease) instead of turning traitor. Japan has a nationalized health care system. If the creators of Gundam Age think that everyone has the same health insurance, because that's what they know from their culture, then it makes more sense that only money would buy better health care.
mobiusdiablo

bertman4 wrote:I LOL when Chris said "A bag of Mario coins."

But, I want to point something out. Gundamn has been pretty consistent when idiot fans speak out about Gundam in the US. You always point out that Gundam is a show made in Japan by the Japanese for the Japanese market. They don't care about the rest of the world, and their viewpoints are reflected in the shows.

So, what makes you think that views on health insurance is any different? I specifically refer to the fact that you ridiculed Shanalua because you thought Federation (military) would have better health care, and therefore she would have been able to care for her ill sister (who probably has mysterious coughing-up-blood disease) instead of turning traitor. Japan has a nationalized health care system. If the creators of Gundam Age think that everyone has the same health insurance, because that's what they know from their culture, then it makes more sense that only money would buy better health care.
There's still issues with that excuse. As a military pilot, Shanalua is getting a good deal of cash (have you seen how much our guys get per month or year?), and from being in a military family myself, I can say that the insurance pretty much covers everything, including and up to part of funeral costs. Yes, in Japan they have a national health insurance plan, however, they're also using a self-defense force in real life, which may or may not have the perks of an actual military like the one the Federation is styled after.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

bertman4 wrote: So, what makes you think that views on health insurance is any different? I specifically refer to the fact that you ridiculed Shanalua because you thought Federation (military) would have better health care, and therefore she would have been able to care for her ill sister (who probably has mysterious coughing-up-blood disease) instead of turning traitor. Japan has a nationalized health care system. If the creators of Gundam Age think that everyone has the same health insurance, because that's what they know from their culture, then it makes more sense that only money would buy better health care.
I think you're taking Chris' comment a little too literal. I believe he made the analogy as a way saying the reason Shanalua betrayed the Diva was weak writing, not a debate of the Japanese healthcare system.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

hotlimit

Cybernator sounds great (honestly never heard of it until now), but for pretty much everyone I've ever met, the quintessential SNES mech game is LucasArts' Metal Warriors. 50% of the game is Gundam jacking!

edit - I know Captain Anus is probably going to have a development arc, but for such a fast-moving show, she doesn't seem to be showing any progress -_-
Chris
Administrator

hawk of endymion wrote:
bertman4 wrote: So, what makes you think that views on health insurance is any different? I specifically refer to the fact that you ridiculed Shanalua because you thought Federation (military) would have better health care, and therefore she would have been able to care for her ill sister (who probably has mysterious coughing-up-blood disease) instead of turning traitor. Japan has a nationalized health care system. If the creators of Gundam Age think that everyone has the same health insurance, because that's what they know from their culture, then it makes more sense that only money would buy better health care.
I think you're taking Chris' comment a little too literal. I believe he made the analogy as a way saying the reason Shanalua betrayed the Diva was weak writing, not a debate of the Japanese healthcare system.
What Neo said. You're taking it too literally.
Mr Bushido

It's too bad Arisa wasn't a dude, then the Soul Bro's AGE lineage of fail would be complete.

And I'm kinda surprised about tehprognoob's comment on ep 100.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Mu La Flaga

hotlimit wrote:Cybernator sounds great (honestly never heard of it until now), but for pretty much everyone I've ever met, the quintessential SNES mech game is LucasArts' Metal Warriors. 50% of the game is Gundam jacking!

edit - I know Captain Anus is probably going to have a development arc, but for such a fast-moving show, she doesn't seem to be showing any progress -_-
You can get it also as Armored Suits Valken if you can't get it on SNES.
In fact the PS2 version is the unedited version.

So either way you can find it is good, the game takes a little getting used to.
hawk of endymion

Mr Bushido wrote: And I'm kinda surprised about tehprognoob's comment on ep 100.
Really? You know a lot of people don't have a sense of humor.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Proteus

Mr Bushido wrote:It's too bad Arisa wasn't a dude, then the Soul Bro's AGE lineage of fail would be complete.
Doesn't matter whether Arisa is a dude or not she wasn't Soul Bros's man, that highly prestigious title belongs to Max in the 2nd gen. If Max didn't exist then yes it would be Arisa. But then again, it could be Max that she is married to which would explain the fail that is Wootbit.