Ep. 101 - The Second Coming of Age

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
steeltamashii

Re: Ep. 101 - The Second Coming of Age

Great ep guys, i was looking forward to the next review of AGE Generation 2. Altho i did like the mecha designs of AGE gen 2 better than the first, The first generation seemed to flow alot better than this one. My biggest hope is that AGE Generation 3 is closer to the first than the second.

Anyways guys, great job guys, can't wait for the next episode :)

steeltamashii
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
kayone73

steeltamashii wrote:Great ep guys, i was looking forward to the next review of AGE Generation 2. Altho i did like the mecha designs of AGE gen 2 better than the first, The first generation seemed to flow alot better than this one. My biggest hope is that AGE Generation 3 is closer to the first than the second.
As we're seeing so far in AGE 3, it seems to be taking more a super robot kind of feel. Can't wait for the introduction of the space pirates hinted in the OP.
bertman4

Just finished watching AGE2 arc. That... was a horrible ending. I am in total agreement that this arc really got short changed. The writing was really inconsistent. It felt like the character development kept changing, never settling on a course. Asemu is supposed to be the protagonist but I grew to dislike him. Zeheart ended up being a blindly obedient yes-man. The continuous forced non-confrontation between them felt hollow. I wanted to sympathize with the Vagans, but they're all morons. The Earth Federation was corrupt, but cleaning house by a revenge obsessed Flit is no better. Ugh.

I'll keep watching but so far the grand experiment that is Gundam AGE is not going well for my tastes.
steeltamashii

kayone73 wrote:
steeltamashii wrote:Great ep guys, i was looking forward to the next review of AGE Generation 2. Altho i did like the mecha designs of AGE gen 2 better than the first, The first generation seemed to flow alot better than this one. My biggest hope is that AGE Generation 3 is closer to the first than the second.
As we're seeing so far in AGE 3, it seems to be taking more a super robot kind of feel. Can't wait for the introduction of the space pirates hinted in the OP.
I actually don't mind the super robot feel as long as the story is interesting. I also agree I can't wait to see the space pirates in AGE 3.
jabman025

truthfully my thoughts on the second arc of gundam age were similar to yours in that I felt it was rushed, there was a lot that needed explaining and not a lot of explaining was done. I, like Soul Bro, did like the white wolf color scheme on the AGE-2 and didn't find it creepy but a tribute to his mentor. If he had changed his hairstyle and started using the white wolf logo on everything......well yeah that would of been creepy.

But my biggest problem with the arc was the same problem I had with the last arc. There are just no big surprises with this show. I know the show is skewed towards a younger audience but come on! Most of the plot points that occurred in this show could be worked out several episodes before they actually happened. Who was going to die, what side was going to do what, who would end up what role. There were very few things that have happened so far that have made me say "wow didn't see that coming". I have some hope that the third generation will break this trend given some teasers we have seen but we'll wait and see.

The saving grace for the show for me is the great battles the mechs have. The battle between Asuno and Desiel was great. I love the design of the AGE-2 and the double bullet was great add on.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
steeltamashii

jabman025 wrote: But my biggest problem with the arc was the same problem I had with the last arc. There are just no big surprises with this show. I know the show is skewed towards a younger audience but come on! Most of the plot points that occurred in this show could be worked out several episodes before they actually happened. Who was going to die, what side was going to do what, who would end up what role. There were very few things that have happened so far that have made me say "wow didn't see that coming". I have some hope that the third generation will break this trend given some teasers we have seen but we'll wait and see.
I would agree that the lack of surprises in the show does take a little away from the show, but at the same time, the show does a good job at still pulling the heartstrings at certain moments. I take the example of Yurin's death in AGE 1. Anybody with any past Gundam knowledge could have told you that Yurin was eventually gonna die, and in the fashion that she did. But at the same time, that didn't stop the scene from pulling heartstrings and causing some sadness on the audience's end. The surprise wasn't the thing that made the scene powerful, what happened in the scene and how it was executed made it powerful. At least that's my opinion on it. Some surprises would be nice, but if they don't surprise me, I'd be fine as long as the scene still gives me the same emotional response.
animalia

I found the white Age-2 a nice touch as well, I mean people name kids after people they looked up to and everybody finds that normal what is the big deal about re-painting a mobile suit. On another note I thought it was a great a moment when Asemu killed diesel i mean both characters were obsessed with catching up to Flit, albeit for different reasons, but Asemu got over his obsession wheras Diesel did not. To me it felt like Asemu was symbolically killing his past obsessions. Of course I could be reading to much into it.