Ep. 099 - May the Lens be with You

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 099 - May the Lens be with You

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 099 - "May the Lens be with You"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 116 min., 52 sec. (1:56:52) - 53.5 MB

Special Guests: Sam DeRose & Alex Jacobson (2nd Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:12:36

02. Be a Part of "Gundam: Rise From the Ashes"! (Special Manga Project by Eric Keith & Mike Fonteccio)
Runtime: 0:12:36 - 0:15:07

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:15:07 - 0:15:46

04. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight: Lensman" (Movie, 1984/1990)
Runtime: 0:15:46 - 0:36:59

05. I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:36:59 - 0:38:46

06. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:38:46 - 0:39:06

07. 2nd Segment: "Interview: The Viper - The Battlestar Galactica Flight Simulation Project" (Contribute to their Kickstarter!)
Runtime: 0:39:06 - 1:00:06

08. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:00:06 - 1:00:50

09. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:00:50 - 1:01:40

10. Outro: "The Gundamn Mailbag!/Closing/Soul Bro's Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:01:40 - 1:56:52

The Nostalgia Train returns as it takes us back to the 1984 Anime movie, "Lensman". Then, Neo & Chris interview Sam & Alex - two of the young & brilliant minds behind "The Battlestar Galactica Flight Simulator" Project!

To learn more about these students and their flight simulator based on the famous star fighter from Battlestar Galactica, visit their website and support this epic project by donating to their Kickstarter fund! Many thanks to Sam DeRose & Alex Jacobson for joining us on the show and much success to them at the Maker Faire and all their future endeavors! So say we all!

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts also!:
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 024 - The Films of Christopher Nolan (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 025 - Transmetropolitan (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Sp. 001 - The Girls of Gunpla Outtakes (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Ep. 006 - Figure Customization (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 001 - Crossover Madness! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music featured in this Episode:
- Intro Segment, Opening Selection: "Recognizer" by Daft Punk
from the album "Tron: Legacy" Motion Picture Soundtrack
- Intro Segment, Closing Selection: "Zeta Gundam" by Shigeaki Saegusa
from the album, "Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Vol. 2" Original Sound Track

- First Segment, Opening Selection: "STARSHIP - Keep on Sailin" by Toshihiko Takamizawa
from the album, "Lensman" Motion Picture Soundtrack
- First Segment, Closing Selection: "Space Shake" by Linda Hennrick & Yuiko Tsubokura
from the album, "Lensman" Motion Picture Soundtrack

- Second Segment, Opening Selection: "Apocalypse, Pt. I" by Bear McCreary
from the album, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan & Razor" Original Soundtrack
- Second Segment, Closing Selection: "Apocalypse (vocals)" by Bear McCreary
from the album, "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan & Razor" Original Soundtrack

- Outro Segment, Opening Selection: "Amongster" by POLICA
from the album, "Give You The Ghost"
- Outro Segment, Closing Selection: "Dark Star" by POLICA
- Shinjuku Station Sign-Off: "Lay Your Cards Out" by POLICA

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 099 - May the Lens be with You

Ok so not much I can say on this one but.
Lensman it sounds kind of interesting yet kind of generic somehow oddly.
The BSG Simulator interview was something different even though I haven't seen the BSG series itself.
It's interesting to see 2 guys put some effort in to making it, wonder why Universal hasn't done it themselves.

Can't comment much on the mailbag or voicemails except that I am being honnest I don't always have something on my mind.
But lots of times I do. :P

Also on another note Neo this isn't the exact same vein as Transformers.
It's altering their origin, so, I'm going to say I'm not one of those people who think "Michael Bay is raping my childhood" or something like that.

I just kind of see where Chris comes from that Hollywoood like to fiddle around and make things more appealing.
Which they don't always need to do, back mid-early 90s there was those TMNT live action movies.
And they worked weel as they wered made, I suppose I'm trying to say, if it aint broken don't fix it.

Finally Soul Bro Ryu.
My Google Fu sucks, besides it's interesting to get replies from you guys and not just the inertnetz opinions :P
Arbiter GUNDAM

I say we declare Max Hartway to be Sir Agravain of Saji's Round Table. Mostly 'cause it sounds like aggravate.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
kayone73

Mu La Flaga wrote: Finally Soul Bro Ryu.
My Google Fu sucks, besides it's interesting to get replies from you guys and not just the inertnetz opinions :P
Yeah but it would be nice at least to break up long lists of questions into batches so some of us don't have to wait three months from posting time to actually hear our own questions read on the podcast. Granted you don't do that as much any more so we thank you, but others have kinda followed suit and copied, and it's kind of annoying.
NastyNate

Hey cool interview guys. :D
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mu La Flaga

kayone73 wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote: Finally Soul Bro Ryu.
Yeah but it would be nice at least to break up long lists of questions into batches so some of us don't have to wait three months from posting time to actually hear our own questions read on the podcast. Granted you don't do that as much any more so we thank you, but others have kinda followed suit and copied, and it's kind of annoying.
Well some of them decided to just do that for some odd reason.
I kinda eased off because I don't have as many things to submit for the mailbag.
Still do on Chaos Theater since more variety there.

And really anyway at least I don't post 10 or 19 mini questions in one go.
So you know, sometimes I do need to make a kind of large post, but I try to stick to a rule of like 2 questions at most on average now.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote: Also on another note Neo this isn't the exact same vein as Transformers.
It's altering their origin, so, I'm going to say I'm not one of those people who think "Michael Bay is raping my childhood" or something like that.

I just kind of see where Chris comes from that Hollywoood like to fiddle around and make things more appealing.
Which they don't always need to do, back mid-early 90s there was those TMNT live action movies.
And they worked weel as they wered made, I suppose I'm trying to say, if it aint broken don't fix it.
Origins for stories like this always change depending on the medium, who cares anymore. It'll make a half of billion dollars, Sir Bay wins again.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

Like ROTF?
Riigght :P
Probably the most controversial entry of Sir Bay made so far despite the money it made, because everyone went out to see it.

Even Sir Bay acknowledged how bad the movie was himself eventually, so why can't you?
Sir Bay is far from a winner.

He can do better and he doesn't need to change things all the time.
TMNT have always been known as them and if the movie ends up being bad, people will just forget it or constantly put it down or not support potential sequels.

Another good example of this is Dragonaball Evolution.
Your a Dragonaball fan man, can't you understand where some of us geeks come from a little? :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:Like ROTF?
Riigght :P
Probably the most controversial entry of Sir Bay made so far despite the money it made, because everyone went out to see it.

Even Sir Bay acknowledged how bad the movie was himself eventually, so why can't you?
Sir Bay is far from a winner.

He can do better and he doesn't need to change things all the time.
TMNT have always been known as them and if the movie ends up being bad, people will just forget it or constantly put it down or not support potential sequels.

Another good example of this is Dragonaball Evolution.
Your a Dragonaball fan man, can't you understand where some of us geeks come from a little? :P
He's just producing it, so it won't receive his directorial magic. And why is it when Sir Bay changes something, its the end of the world? What about all the directors, etc. that change things all the time and its no big deal?

What movie is bad?

I didn't think Dragonball was that bad except for yellow Piccolo. I wasn't expecting much from it, so it didn't completely disappoint.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

ROTF=Revenge of the Fallen.
That was the one I refered to as being bad and all that sort of thing.
Eventually he did admit it wasn't that good really.

And I don't know maybe for some he is just more prolific and some people instantly think to his worse works.
I enjoyed the 1st and 3rd Transformer movies for what they are.
I mean they had flaws but they were improvements.

Dragonball Evolution I think just really lacked some of the bits needed to fill in huge holes.
Like how Piccolo got out if he was contained and other things like that.

Also the only 2 out of the cast I liked was the dude who did Yamcha, Master Roshi and Piccolo(the green colour was totally off though)
kayone73

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Dragonball Evolution I think just really lacked some of the bits needed to fill in huge holes.
Like how Piccolo got out if he was contained and other things like that.

Also the only 2 out of the cast I liked was the dude who did Yamcha, Master Roshi and Piccolo(the green colour was totally off though)
The only reason I watched DB:Evolution was Jamie Chung's cleavage. I'll be honest, the rest of the film couldn't really hold my attn.
Hyakushiki

About the Lensman discussion, they did take quite a few liberties with the source material, such how Kim Kinnison receives his lens from dying Lensman would have killed him in the novels as a Lensman cannot transfer his lens to another person, the lens destroys itself upon the death of its user. Also a Lens will physically harm, even kill anyone other than its possessor that tries to even touch it. Helmuth was attacking Kim with psionic energy which is how he could kill his subordinates at a distance, the reason his attacks were ineffective was that the lens is an absolute defense against all psionic based attacks while being the ultimate psionic weapon not to mention he was the flunky of the Eddorians the real big bads of the universe. Kim in the books is also the end result of billions of years genetic engineering to create the ultimate lifeform, his descendants are destined to become the guardians of the universe. The novels are much better than film, if you can get past the really dated 1930's dialogue and terminology the books are surprisingly modern. Such as they have weapons like the Standish, a semi-portable laser machine gun equipped with a shield generator and grenade launcher, perhaps the first BFG in science fiction, powered armor battle suits, space battles so epic in scale they use planets accelerated to superluminal velocities as WMDs, and you thought Gurren Lagaan was being original!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
hawk of endymion

@ Mu

Never said revenge of the fallen was good, it was hurt by the writers strike. That's what makes Sir Bay so great that he can admit his mistakes how many directors do that? That is why he is one the greatest in our time.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:@ Mu

Never said revenge of the fallen was good, it was hurt by the writers strike. That's what makes Sir Bay so great that he can admit his mistakes how many directors do that? That is why he is one the greatest in our time.
I believe a certain Gundamn episode at Yasumicon begs to differ with you :P

You can't also blame the movie's sense of humor on the writter's strike.

There are flaws with it, some attributed to Bay, some not.
Dollow

I just got around to listening to this ep, good stuff but not a lot of stuff that grabs me. Lensman just sounds like I should stay away from it. That viper project sounds cool and I wonder what it will look like when it's done, it kinda of reminds me of The Last Starfighter arcade game in that movie.
Last edited by Dollow on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
xaos

I think it's very cool you guys discussed Lensman for your 99th episode. If you think Soul Bro has nostalgia glasses for this then I must have nostalgia goggles. XD Must be because I watched that when I was 5 and all I remember from when I was 5 is a blur of Lensman, Project A ko, and Cyborg 009. Though I do admit the anime compared to the book is... bleh. Chris, I hope you read the Lensman novels. They may seem kinda cookie cutter now but keep in mind many of the tropes that space operas use now came from those novels. Also keep in mind I'm just a big Lensman fan as well. XD I even have a twitter list called Arisians.

That interview was cool, what those guys are doing is amazing.
kayone73

Dollow wrote:I just got around to listening to this ep, good stuff but not a lot of stuff that grabs me. Lensman just sounds like I should stay away from it. That viper project sounds cool and I wonder what it will look like when it's done, it kinda of reminds me of The Last Starfighter arcade game in that movie.
I don't think it's something that should be avoided. I watched it as a kid and it's certainly dated but not terrible. Sometimes watching old stuff like that is good for historical perspective. It sometimes helps you view current anime shows in a different light.
Dollow

kayone73 wrote: I don't think it's something that should be avoided. I watched it as a kid and it's certainly dated but not terrible. Sometimes watching old stuff like that is good for historical perspective. It sometimes helps you view current anime shows in a different light.
I know what you mean, I have been reading Cyborg 009, which is a 60s manga, and I realized how far manga has come in like the last 50 years.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter