Ep. 094 - The Chobits Conundrum

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
animalia

Re: Ep. 094 - The Chobits Conundrum

As soon as Neo described watching T2 and Battlestar Galactica to deal with sexbots, I got the hilarious mental image of the sexbots watching these same shows/films and coming up with counter tactics to Neo's Plan and then rubbing his face in his own lack of foresight.
Destiny_Gundam

I'm way behind and only listened to this episode tonight. Normally I won't post in threads this old but after hearing what you guys said about Eva I have to ask just what the heck you're on.

There's so many versions of Eva that you don't know what the definite one is? Seriously? You have the TV series + End of Eva and now you have the Rebuild movies. That's it. You don't have that problem with Macross and DYRL or Macross Frontier and its movies now do you? If you're talking about all the manga spin offs, they're just that: spin offs (or the one adaptation).

This is not about being butt hurt. This is about you guys blowing something out of proportion, much like you claim Eva's fans are doing. I've never cared that you disagree on the show's depth or merit or whatever, but the way you keep going on about all the supposed retreading when there's only 2 serious entrants into the franchise, the current of which is indeed going into a vastly different direction than the original, is just plain wrong.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

animalia wrote:As soon as Neo described watching T2 and Battlestar Galactica to deal with sexbots, I got the hilarious mental image of the sexbots watching these same shows/films and coming up with counter tactics to Neo's Plan and then rubbing his face in his own lack of foresight.
Not likely, the Tomes of the Admiral have secret passage, robots can't understand.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:I'm way behind and only listened to this episode tonight. Normally I won't post in threads this old but after hearing what you guys said about Eva I have to ask just what the heck you're on.

There's so many versions of Eva that you don't know what the definite one is? Seriously? You have the TV series + End of Eva and now you have the Rebuild movies. That's it. You don't have that problem with Macross and DYRL or Macross Frontier and its movies now do you? If you're talking about all the manga spin offs, they're just that: spin offs (or the one adaptation).

This is not about being butt hurt. This is about you guys blowing something out of proportion, much like you claim Eva's fans are doing. I've never cared that you disagree on the show's depth or merit or whatever, but the way you keep going on about all the supposed retreading when there's only 2 serious entrants into the franchise, the current of which is indeed going into a vastly different direction than the original, is just plain wrong.
You are butt hurt, DYRL and the Frontier movies were done shortly after the series. Why do we need new interpretations of Eva 10 years later?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

I think the bigger question is why would we need movie retellings shortly after the series? It makes more sense to have it years later since you can appeal to the nostalgia of old fans while also drawing in new ones.

But if you ask why we need stuff like this, frankly we don't. We don't need new Gundam series every couple of years, we don't need a new season of Transformers Prime, we don't need an Avengers movie. But we get them anyways and we get lots of good stuff out of it. The Evangelion movies are superior in pretty much every way compared to the TV series (I've even stopped rewatching the TV series because I don't need to since I have the movies) so I for one am quite glad they're doing what they're doing.

The fact still remains that you keep harping on Evangelion for being continuously remade when Rebuild is the first time it is being done so.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:IThe fact still remains that you keep harping on Evangelion for being continuously remade when Rebuild is the first time it is being done so.
Just give it up already. Your constant defending of Eva isn't going to accomplish anything.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

You guys have admitted to making factual errors before. I'm puzzled as to why you're being so stubborn about this one.
animalia

Destiny has a point, there is a difference between a remakes, which eve has FEW of and a remaster/rerelease whihc eve HAS done to death.
Mu La Flaga

animalia wrote:Destiny has a point, there is a difference between a remakes, which eve has FEW of and a remaster/rerelease which eve HAS done to death.
Which goes as follows.

Evangelion the series, then you had director's cut episodes.
Then you had the 1/2 compilation and 1/2 new movie Death and Rebirth then finally you had the full version minus the compilation part, End of Evangelion.

Then we actually get to the Rebuild of Eva

That and I would have thought after last time this happened, you guys would have had a little more sense over it.
(Neo, Chris, DG)
Evidently not, I would say save your energy for better debates to come, it's like doing Destiny over and over again.:P
(Your 2012 moratorium on Destiny aint going so well)
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:You guys have admitted to making factual errors before. I'm puzzled as to why you're being so stubborn about this one.
And you continue to be an irritating little arse.

The fact is we don't care about Eva, we question its "effect" and are tired of people continuing to make it more relevant or timeless than it is.
Mu La Flaga wrote: Evidently not, I would say save your energy for better debates to come, it's like doing Destiny over and over again.:P
(Your 2012 moratorium on Destiny aint going so well)
I agree, for the record I was talked into the Destiny review.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:The fact is we don't care about Eva, we question its "effect" and are tired of people continuing to make it more relevant or timeless than it is.
That's not what the issue is. Think whatever you will about the show, that's your subjective opinion. However you keep going on about Evangelion continually being retold which is flat out untrue. Rebuild is the one and only remake.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:The fact is we don't care about Eva, we question its "effect" and are tired of people continuing to make it more relevant or timeless than it is.
That's not what the issue is. Think whatever you will about the show, that's your subjective opinion. However you keep going on about Evangelion continually being retold which is flat out untrue. Rebuild is the one and only remake.
You're so intent on arguing semantics here. The facts are that you have the TV series, the director's cut episodes, the original two movies and all their re-edits, then Rebuild and all of their re-edits/changes. If you want to be so hung up on the word "remake," fine, but just drop this nonsense.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his