Ep. 087 - Killer Knights!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 087 - Killer Knights!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 087 - "Killer Knights!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 147 min., 26 sec. (2:27:26) - 67.5 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:28:55 (Duration: 0:28:12)

03. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:28:55 - 0:29:55 (Duration: 0:01:00)

04. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:29:55 - 0:30:39 (Duration: 0:00:44)

05. 1st Segment: "Mecha Murderers! - The Prolific Killers of Notable Characters in Mecha Anime!" (Discussion / Submitted by TheMechaMessiah)
Runtime: 0:30:39 - 1:04:47 (Duration: 0:34:08)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:04:47 - 1:05:55 (Duration: 0:01:08)

07. Next Time on "Shinjuku Fight Club: Ep. 002 - Fighting Freaks!" (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:05:55 - 1:06:54 (Duration: 0:00:59)

08. 2nd Segment: "Anime Spotlight - 'Bubblegum Crisis'" (OVA Series, 1987, Available w/ English Dub on HuluPlus)
Runtime: 1:06:54 - 1:50:42 (Duration: 0:43:48)

09. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:50:42 - 1:51:32 (Duration: 0:00:50)

10. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:51:32 - 1:52:01 (Duration: 0:00:29)

11. Outro: "The Gundamn Mailbag!/Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:52:01 - 2:27:26 (Duration: 0:35:54)

After a long wait, we finally tackle our favorite ladies-in-cybernetic armor, the "Knight Sabers", as we finally talk about the OVA Series "Bubblegum Crisis". Before that, however, we discuss some of the most prolific killers of notable characters in mecha anime! Many thanks to TheMechaMessiah for his awesome Topic Submission and for everyone who contributed to the news & mailbag as well!

Peep these Links also!:
- TomoCast: Episode 032 - Macross (featuring Chris Guanche!)
- IkariCast: Season 3 - Episode 22 (#100!!!) (featuring Soul Bro Ryu!)
- Chaos Theater: Episode 014 - Fairy Tail (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Episode 015 - Redline (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 003 - Kamen Rider Fourze (Mechatalk Thread)
- Shinjuku Fight Club: Episode 002 - Fighting Freaks! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
prince_of_zeon

Re: Ep. 087 - Killer Knights!

Mecha Murder #1-Chirico. Does god count as a named character?
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
TheMechaMessiah

Holy crud. I didn't think anybody had noticed my post. Thanks for the response. I'm downloading immediately to see what you came up with.

Edit:

These are just my thoughts on the segment itself.

Very funny. I knew you guys would have a good time with this topic.

Ali man. You gotta love Ali. You guys hit it right on the head. I honestly have nothing more to add.

I also cried when Katz died. I cried tears of joy. And I also stood up and gave a standing ovation and cheered. The only way it could have been better is if he had died sooner.

I suspected Kira might be on the list. When I first made my post I tried to come up with ways to rule him out because of guys like the underwater mech noob. I think he shows up for one episode and dies. At some point in a future gundam show I want to see underwater mech plot actually result in a gundam getting taken out because it wasn't designed for underwater combat. Heck maybe an underwater mech show might be interesting.

Lelouch definitely belongs on the list. I don't really have much else to say their. You guys pretty much nailed it. He was predisposition-ed to murder from the very beginning. In a way he always wanted to go on a massive killing spree and from the very first episode we are shown that rather ordering the troops to stop fighting and let him escape instead he tells them all to kill themselves. I ate that shit up.

Gundam X has been pretty sweet. Been watching it after viewing your segments on it in previous shows. Their is a lot less SPACE MADNESS in it in comparison to other Gundam shows. And I actually like the way they utilize newtypes in the show. I've noticed specifically though that more people on /m/ have come to like Gundam X and see it as being either worthy of the gundam name or even being among the better gundam shows. Some even go so far as to say it has the best cast of any gundam show. Just thought you might find that interesting. I look forward to the Frost Brothers killing spree.

I've never watched Ideon or Dunbine but when you tell me everyone murders everyone else all of a sudden I feel like watching it. I've yet to watch Victory Gundam either. I knew Katejina Loos was up there on the list but damn.

I think Gauron actually got a pretty high kill score himself in FMP. It's been a while since I last watched it but I do remember he wiped out a full squad of named characters and killed a few more. He is very similar to Prince Ali in terms of character as well. I liked Gate as well.

I gotta get off now but I'll see about updating this after college tomorrow with more of my thoughts and any questions.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Would it be fair to say that Sylia is somewhat of a female Tony Stark? Speaking of Tony, I wonder what would happen if Iron Man tangled with the Knight Sabres?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Would it be fair to say that Sylia is somewhat of a female Tony Stark? Speaking of Tony, I wonder what would happen if Iron Man tangled with the Knight Sabres?
He would try to bang all of them (and maybe succeed with some).
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Maybe Linna and Nene, I don't think Priss would give him the time of day. Can't say anything about Sylia. :wink:
But how would the Iron Man suit would stand up to the Knight Sabers' hard-suits.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

I would give honorable mentions to Zechs and Shinn for ammount of kills attained over the course of time.

Also I hope you guys do 2040 sometime.
And the number 1 Ikaeda and Bay Fan returns

The original BGC I want to get and am seriously hoping Madamn rewnew it for distribution.

So, a fun episode.
Hyakushiki

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Maybe Linna and Nene, I don't think Priss would give him the time of day. Can't say anything about Sylia. :wink:
But how would the Iron Man suit would stand up to the Knight Sabers' hard-suits.
I think Sylia would be intrigued more by his mind than anything else, probably negotiating a joint development project Tony will be still trying to negotiate her into his bed though.

As far as the Iron Man armor it would far exceed the capabilities of the Knight Sabers if only going by the movie version. It's also more flexible in combat since it has both lethal and less than lethal capabilities.

@Chris: In the BGC OVAs Linna was a fitness instructor, in 2040 she was a Office Lady.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
kayone73

Cool listening to the BGC segment, I figured you guys would get around to it eventually. Love the fact Soul Bro squeezed in BCG soundtrack songs in every segment insert possible from start to end. Sadly I still remember almost which ep every song was featured in. Used to own 3 of the individual ep soundtrack CDs with the BGM, and then the famous 2 vol BCG song collection CD set, which became incredibly hard to find in import form by the mid 90s. Ah the days prior to mp3 players...

One thing I'll throw in that I don't think was mentioned in the segment was the character Vision in ep 7. As you guys clearly stated, the series was cut short from an original planned 13 eps, and the intent for Priss in ep 6 was to actually die tragically against his fight with Largo. Vision, on schedule was to be introduced as her replacement in ep 7 and presumably become formally a member of the team later. This was alluded to in ep 8 during the movie theater seen where Vision is an actress in some action movie wearing a vaguely familiar looking power armor. Oh what could have been if BCG was allowed to make its full run.

I miss the hyper action 80s and early 90s style of Masami Obari's action anime, although by mid 90s it started getting a little out of control. Soulbro: I assume you've watched all the Garou Densetsu (Fatal Fury) animes.
Chris
Administrator

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Maybe Linna and Nene, I don't think Priss would give him the time of day. Can't say anything about Sylia. :wink:
I think a reckless playboy like Tony might be exactly what Priss would go for, especially since nice guy Leon isn't making any progress with her.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

Iron Man's suit and the KS Hardsuits are nice examples of the Western and Asian approaches towards power armor suits.

While Iron Man is pretty sleek, its still essentially a fast flying, heavy armament suit and isn't really depicted as much in hand to hand melee combat

Whereas the KS suits are definitely more sleek, melee suits that don't pack as big guns (that's what the Motoslaves are for) and would be at a disadvantage in a more remote fire fight. Plus they can only hop, not fly.
Vent Noir

Bubblegum Crisis was one of my first anime, too, and in fact one of the reasons I got into anime was seeing an article on it in a magazine (in my case, I think it was Anime UK (later Anime FX) - anyone else remember that one? Good mag). Yep, still a classic, all right.

(Incidentally, a friend of mine asserts that "Say Yes" is the single most 80s song ever recorded)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
ZeonicFreak

I jumped for joy when I saw you guys were covering BGC, which is my number one favorite anime (above Gundam can you belive it). I wish you threw in some Mad Machine as BGM music, but its all good. My favorite episode to this day is Revenge Road aka "The Mad Max episode" ie "The one with the car". Yea i know Moonlight Rambler and Red Eyes are the best of the 8, but Revenge Road has a soft spot for me.

As for Oomori Kinuko, its said that her VA career was cut short due to her finishing up High School, but that didnt stop her from singing. In the early 80's she was in a girl group called "MILK", then later did SILK and did cover songs for Rajin-Oh and Gunsmith Cats:

Oh and Soul Bro, I have that Animerica Issue of Priss on the cover, even got pics for your and everyones enjoyment. Even had it signed by Trish Ledoux back at Animazement 09: http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2 ... erica.html
HALP! IM TRAPPED IN THE YEAR 2000 WITH ALL OF THIS ANIME, WOULD SOMEONE LISTEN TO MY PLEA!!!! - http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/
kayone73

ZeonicFreak wrote:
Oh and Soul Bro, I have that Animerica Issue of Priss on the cover, even got pics for your and everyones enjoyment. Even had it signed by Trish Ledoux back at Animazement 09: http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2 ... erica.html
I remember that issue of Animerica as well. Takes me back.
NastyNate

I was surprised Amuro was not mentioned as a mecha murderer. I remember one scene where actually counts off as he is blowing people away with his OP Beam rifle.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
steeltamashii

Awesome, finally a review on Bubblegum Crisis from the fine folks of Gundamn! Just bought a DVD box set off Amazon for $30 containing the whole OVA, can't wait to watch it again :D

Anyway, great episode, and can't wait for the next one! 8)
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
bertman4

Damn, that was a good episode.

Re: Steve Jobs and the Straight Talk Express.

This is something written by Maggie Koerth-Baker (journalist and writer for boingboing.net) on October 11

"Here's where I get all contrarian about the death of Steve Jobs. Making nifty gadgets, and figuring out how to design those gadgets so that they're easier for people to use, is cool. But it's really not this massive, selfless gift to mankind.

Not like, say, donating millions to fund programs that tackle preventable diseases in the third world and save the lives of children and adults who would have otherwise died from things that are just minor annoyances to gadget-loving Americans.

In other words, I love my Mac, but I'm going to be a hell of a lot more choked up when Bill Gates dies."
animalia

Hey guys thanks for answering my question. I totally missed that Chris used the qualifier "Much" in his review, and because of THAT I thought your HD praise was an incongruity, I Never thought that good animation and good story were mutually exclusive, I just MISTAKENLY thought that you were being contradictory. I Apologize for my mistake, and thanks for clearing this matter up.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

bertman4 wrote:Damn, that was a good episode.

Re: Steve Jobs and the Straight Talk Express.

This is something written by Maggie Koerth-Baker (journalist and writer for boingboing.net) on October 11

"Here's where I get all contrarian about the death of Steve Jobs. Making nifty gadgets, and figuring out how to design those gadgets so that they're easier for people to use, is cool. But it's really not this massive, selfless gift to mankind.

Not like, say, donating millions to fund programs that tackle preventable diseases in the third world and save the lives of children and adults who would have otherwise died from things that are just minor annoyances to gadget-loving Americans.

In other words, I love my Mac, but I'm going to be a hell of a lot more choked up when Bill Gates dies."
And that right there was the reason of the Straight Talk, it's not how you make the money that matters, but how you use it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jabman025

good episode guys

I liked the Straight talk Express on Gundam AGE, I for one do not like the art style of the character in this show......but that does not mean that show is going to suck, and it really doesn't mean the show will suck even before we have seen it. I have only seen a couple episodes so far and still can't get a feel for the show good or bad.

Also thanks Chris for admiting that Kira Yamato is a bad ass, knew you would come around sooner or later.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025