Ep. 080 - Rage Against the Gundam AGE!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
jabman025

Re: Ep. 080 - Rage Against the Gundam AGE!

great show guys,

I really enjoyed the show and your talk about Gundam AGE, like you said its way to early to make any judgements on AGE. Is it aimed at younger audience then 00? Yes, does that mean that show is automatically going to suck? Hell no!

By the way Walter Winchell.... I mean Neo, if I ever show up on Chaos Theater....THAT will pitty any apperace you ever make anywhere XD

Oh and one more thing, Nasty Nate
NastyNate wrote: Neo you said that this show we might think this show is bad now but later in life think that it is a classic. When will we ever like Gundam Seed Destiny? jk keep it up guys.
Some people already think it is
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
NastyNate

jabman025 wrote: Some people already think it is
Jabman don't you know Cagali is crying. lol
Anyways I hear ya bud I just thought it was funny neo said that. But I enjoyed destiny the first time I saw it. I even bought each volume individually. Savior Gundam was my favorite gundam from that show.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Chavelo

Even though Age looks more like a kids show then we're used to. I am still gonna watch it! And even the haters will still watch it. And the creators know this. Which is why they're dipping into even younger audiences, because they can still keep older audiences at least mildly interested xD
AceAttorneyGundam

This was the episode I have been waiting for since the rAGE began. I didn't see why there was so much hate and I knew you guys would address it!

Neo - "Again, You're making sense!"
kayone73

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:
What exactly is the point of the Straight Talk express and or Slaying the sacred cow?
I understand that you're perhaps procuring a different perspective on the respective subject, but what's the use in b*tching about other peoples' b*tching?! In actuality, it tends to annoy me hearing you whine for extended periods of time about something you have no control over, nor can change.

The fact is irrespective of whether or not you feel the need air a different opinion, people will continue to vehemently cast criticism based on their subjective beliefs and ideals. And unfortunately, theres nothing you and or your b*tching can do about that.
Not exactly sure why you have such a problem with the Straight Talk Express segment. Maybe I've just been in the fandom too long and just as tired and sick of the stupid sh** that is seen repeatedly in the bad side of fandom. It delights me to hear something that resonates with my annoyance and find it a good thing that someone from a prominent anime podcast openly call people out on the crap they like to perpetuate and say unchecked.

Referring to an earlier segment addressing the problem with the 'sensible silent majority' is that its useless for reasonable ppl to stay silent while jackholes who spread nonsense based on ignorance are the only ones heard. The Chris & Co do is say what many of us are thinking, and hopefully this inspires other similar minded reasonable fans IRL and on the internet to offer to counterpoint to help keep in check those idiots who don't do anyone a favor saying what they say. Hopefully it'll give some perspective to some of the more intelligent ones and teach them to think a little before they speak. If one less troll emerges because they hear it straight from someone else, gives them pause to think and make the decision not to be a vocal idiot, then it is a good thing.
Kaioshin Sama

The part of this podcast that absolutely had me dying with laughter is when Chris talked about what raging Gundam fanboys seem to want. I actually started getting excited when he said keep on chasin' that dream and was thinking like, "Oh man, he knows, he's going to talk about it", but then his theory was actually a little more detailed than mine, which made it even better.

I always thought that the people Chris was talking about want a clone of the 08th MS Team only with a female main character cause I always see the raging fanboys going on and on and on about how great 08th MS Team is and why can't there be more shows like the 08th MS Team etc. That and they seem absolutely obsessed to the point of tunnel vision with the whole idea of "real robots" which they seem to take to mean that everything is on the same tier, even though I honestly couldn't even describe to you what I think that is supposed to look like and neither could they most likely cause I don't think it's really possible. God help Sunrise if a Gundam wins a fight over a bunch of grunts lately cause there will be bitching and nothing else about the episode will matter cause "God dammit since when is Gundam a Super Robot show". Chris touched upon this and the whole female pilot obsession, but then he went on to talk about something I kind of knew subconsciously.

Raging fanboys do indeed seem to want Gundam shows that are about robots that are run down and dirty and gritty, though I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody mention them being piloted by old men. The whole bit he did had me imagining an entire cast of characters that look like Bully Kidera from the Kummen arc of Votoms though and that was hilarious. :lol:
Chris
Administrator

Kaioshin Sama wrote:Raging fanboys do indeed seem to want Gundam shows that are about robots that are run down and dirty and gritty, though I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody mention them being piloted by old men. The whole bit he did had me imagining an entire cast of characters that look like Bully Kidera from the Kummen arc of Votoms though and that was hilarious. :lol:
I don't literally mean "old men" as in somebody's grandpa, but rather adults who are older than your typical teenage protagonist. It's an outgrowth of the complaints that Gundam protagonists are always so young and pretty. Every once in awhile you'll hear someone bring up the example of James Links from ZOE, a 40-something drunk who isn't too pretty to look at, but is the main character and pilots a pink orbital frame.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
vick86

There'll never be an adult main character but most of the recent series have had an adult piloting a Gundam at some point, not to mention the hundreds of enemy red shirts who are piloting regular mobile suits. The fandumb should just shut up and get some perspective because they clearly don't understand this franchise.
Koshernova

Great show as usual guys!

While I enjoyed the troll-kill AGE segment, I really liked the Caprica one.

Basically, being a huge BSG fan, I somehow never got too interested in the idea of Caprica. Everything I saw kept reminding me of the 'black market' episodes of BSG, you know, whenever they deal with the seedy underbelly of the fleet. I find those episodes BORING as all get-out, and the shift in tone and genre is way too much for me. I hate them to the point that I skip them during re-watches, which means that all of a sudden,
Spoiler
Billy is dead
between episodes. I don't mind missing such a plot development if it means I get to skip the suck-ass episodes.

When I saw Caprica being that, I was all 'no thanks'. Also, I saw the teaser for the aborted second season, which you guys reference. Yes, it looks like that'd be an interesting show to watch, but I have to put in a complaint here about the pitiful CGI. I always found the CGI in BSG to be quite good, especially by series 4, although they never managed to get very good at having CGI cylons interact with human characters. If anything, what we see in those last minutes of Caprica looks worse! The virtual church scene looked like something out of a 1990s CD-ROM adventure, with hammy acting, corny writing, and terrible CGI. If they ever made a second season, I would have hoped they'd have made a better effort with the CGI Cylons, otherwise whatever weight and seriousness the show had would go out the window.

In other words: when I wanna watch tokusatsu, I'll watch tokusatsu, not a Galactica spin-off!
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jabman025 wrote:great show guys,
By the way Walter Winchell.... I mean Neo, if I ever show up on Chaos Theater....THAT will pitty any apperace you ever make anywhere XD
What will you do Jabman? Sit in your house, playing with your Rey doll. You talk your mess and do nothing, like Destiny, ha, zing.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Arbiter GUNDAM

hawk of endymion wrote:
What will you do Jabman? Sit in your house, playing with your Rey doll. You talk your mess and do nothing, like Destiny, ha, zing.
That sounds like a CHALENGE!! :twisted:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
prince_of_zeon

hawk of endymion wrote: What will you do Jabman? Sit in your house, playing with your Rey doll. You talk your mess and do nothing, like Destiny, ha, zing.
Oh boy, don't bring Eva into this or you'll get an even bigger mess on your hands...like MD Geist 2 Colon Death Force (you see what I did there?)
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
jabman025

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:
That sounds like a CHALENGE!! :twisted:
indeed
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
hotlimit

Man, a full episode of hate without the General or the Emperor, you're gonna put them out of work!

I already gave my non-position on Gundam AGE on the mechatalk AGE board, so yeah, I have seen the horror that is Gundam-series announcement-backlash.

On DestinyGundam's question, I couldn't tell you about any horror/mecha anime, but the very definition of horror and mecha to me is Xenosaga. That game totally creeped me out, and it certainly had plenty of mecha and running from monsters.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

hotlimit wrote:Man, a full episode of hate without the General or the Emperor, you're gonna put them out of work!
Well, the General is on assignment and the Emperor in jail.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
hotlimit wrote:Man, a full episode of hate without the General or the Emperor, you're gonna put them out of work!
Well, the General is on assignment and the Emperor in jail.
I reckon old admiral Sho/Shoji Ramuro could outdo your attempts at hate, if he came around that is.

Then again neither does Austin :P
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote:I reckon old admiral Sho/Shoji Ramuro could outdo your attempts at hate, if he came around that is.

Maybe, but Sho hasn't reached Admiral status. You know we just don't give out titles.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:I reckon old admiral Sho/Shoji Ramuro could outdo your attempts at hate, if he came around that is.

Maybe, but Sho hasn't reached Admiral status. You know we just don't give out titles.
Well that is what you called him on FTS or are you going to deny that and call him something like Commander? :P
hawk of endymion

Mu La Flaga wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:

Well that is what you called him on FTS or are you going to deny that and call him something like Commander? :P
Can't confirm or deny that. That was a long time ago and I was probably drunk.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote: Can't confirm or deny that. That was a long time ago and I was probably drunk.
You've also said such noticable lines such as when he he beat BoiWonder.

"Long live the king!"
Pretty sure that time you weren't drunk, just on meds, because you were really nasally.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.