Ep. 067 - Tales of Byston Toilet

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 067 - Tales of Byston Toilet

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 067 - "Tales of Byston Toilet"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 151 min., 59 sec. (2:31:59) - 69.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: The Gundamn Mailbag & "Neo's News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:37:51

03. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 0:37:51 - 0:38:51

04. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:38:51 - 0:39:42

05. 1st Segment: Anime Toilet - "Aura Battle Dunbine: The Tale of Neo Byston Well", "Garzey's Wing" & "Wings of Rean"
Runtime: 0:39:42 - 1:38:37

06. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:38:37 - 1:39:30

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:39:30 - 1:40:00

08. 2nd Segment: Roundtable Discussion: "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Episode 2"
Runtime: 1:40:00 - 2:22:49

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:22:49 - 2:24:19

10. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:24:19 - 2:25:28

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:25:28 - 2:31:59

The time has arrived! First, we flush the three OVA follow-ups to the world introduced in Aura Battler Dunbine, "Byston Well", down the Anime Toilet. After we wash our hands, we finally get our mitts on the latest episode of Gundam Unicorn!

Also, Chris recently appeared on one of our favorite podcasts, I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside! He joined Mechatalk.net regular - The Fowl Sorcerous - and co-host David in a discussion about the popular novel series from Jim Butcher, the Dresden Files!

I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside
Episode 7: It's a Wizard Thing
MP3 - Facebook - @SBOPodcast on Twitter

After listening to Gundamn, make sure you check out our friends @ I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside by visiting their website, downloading their latest episode, reply on it's thread & join them on Facebook! Much props & thanks goes out to The Fowl Sorcerous for inviting Chris to participate in this episode, and when you visit, make sure to let them know that Gundamn! @ MAHQ sent you!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
* "Real Versions of Movies: Deep Impact" from Chappelle's Show

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Tozasareta Sekai" by THE BACK HORN
* OP from "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 ~ Awakening of the Trailblazer"

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Qualia" by UVERworld
* ED from "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 ~ Awakening of the Trailblazer"

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Aura Road (OP of 'Aura Battler Dunbine')" (Live) by MIO
* from the concert album "Super Robot Spirits - Live 99"

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"MY FATE" by ANNA
* ED from "Wings of Rean"

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Echo" by The Thrill
* from the album "08"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"UNICORN" by Hiroyuki Sawano
* from the "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" OST

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"Everlasting" by Kylee
* ED from "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" Episode 2

- Outro BGM
"Love Supreme" by The Thrill
* from the album "ХОРОШO"

- Outro Drop
* "Chris's First Soul & Body Conversation" from Garzey's Wing, Episode 1: "The Other World" (English Dub)

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Roundball Rock" by John Tesh
* from "NBA on NBC"

- Stinger Drop
* "Real Versions of Movies: Deep Impact" from Chappelle's Show

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Koshernova

Re: Ep. 067 - Tales of Byston Toilet

Yay first commenter! Great job as usual lads, listening to the podcast today while walking around town doing errands, in the snow! Which is unusual for Dublin this time of the year. Hell, when I moved here, 10 years ago, ANY snow was unusual, let alone snow that sticks.

Ahem, anyway. Deeply enjoyed the show. Very disappointing to hear that all Dunbine sequels are crap! That's a big shame as you said, considering the potential.

Thanks for reminding me that Unicorn Ep 2 was out, I guess I forgot in the big mire of stress that my life has been lately, so I'm now pretty damn excited. You mentioned in the episode the moment when
Spoiler
Banagher meets with Full Frontal
, which would normally occur later in a 'regular' series. And it made me remember the fact that, while the 'Side 6 moment' of a Gundam show is always a great moment to see, the best space opera in which I've seen it done was, of course, Legend of the Galactic Heroes. In which they do a few but, of course,
Spoiler
the season 2 one, when Yang and Reinhard finally meet, is one of the best written situations of this sort I've seen.
I'm sure I had more to say, but I can't remember right now. D'oh!
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Mu La Flaga

Ah 2 of my questions got answered.
Little disappointed you guys couldn't do question number 2 like character themes for music and all that stuff.

But as for the Mark Hildreth one, I just quoted tv tropes in this one instance.
I'm not a regular browser as much as I used to be.
As for Nina, well I tried, I'm not trying to apply it to every Gundam character out there, it's just Nina seem to always be imbalanced mentally.

It's the same thing for Flay from Gundam SEED.

On the whole Japan restriction things for individuals posting items and all I heard on the news they ARE working on something better which will son lift the restrictions on liquids.
Scanners to detect the chemicals in the liquid itself.

Some of them are over reacting, but it's just going to be like that for now until technology improves which it is doing.

I will edit this with more of my thoughts later on.

Suicihi Ikaeda vs Keith Silverstein as Full Frontal as Neo brought up I think this dub choice for Full Frontal was a great selection, the guy has one of those voices which can catch your attention and keep it.

I also found it a little odd, none of you mentioned that Full Frontal himself has the same scar Char has about his right eyebrow.(I've been talking to a friend who HAS seen Unicorn episode 2)

Just to note that.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr Bushido

Great review on UC ep 2. I also thought from just looking at Daguza's character design, he might have been the asshole type but apparently he wasn't which was surprising.

Though I was kinda disappointed not to hear Soul Bro's new man since Geara Zulu pilot from ep 1 got punked.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
gundamtype0

Great podcast guys. I'm in the same boat as Chris since I was trying to get my friend to send me some Kamen Rider toys for the holidays. Looks like it'll be AmiAmi until Japan Post and DHS change their minds.
ninshadow

Another good episode guys. I watched "Wings of Rean" and found the show just weird. I never watched any Dunbine shows before but now I know just to watch the first Dunbine.

And this goes out to Neo its just nin-shadow not Trent Reznor or Nine Inch Nails shadow. Its just so funny when you say all that stuff about my username.

Guys keep up the good work.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:I also found it a little odd, none of you mentioned that Full Frontal himself has the same scar Char has about his right eyebrow.(I've been talking to a friend who HAS seen Unicorn episode 2)

Just to note that.
Well...
Spoiler
Given that Full Frontal really isn't Char Aznable, the scar and everything else about him is a red herring, so it's not that big of a deal to have to mention.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

So is your theory that this Char is only Char more so in physical appearance then actual personnality?

Despite having his memories implanted in him?
If yes then that is an interesting point, I have kind of discussed that with my friend also.
Since for one thing he doesn't have any desire to drop asteroids on Earth and all just yet :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

ninshadow wrote:Another good episode guys. I watched "Wings of Rean" and found the show just weird. I never watched any Dunbine shows before but now I know just to watch the first Dunbine.

And this goes out to Neo its just nin-shadow not Trent Reznor or Nine Inch Nails shadow. Its just so funny when you say all that stuff about my username.

Guys keep up the good work.

Well, don't allow the aminated turd that is Wings of Rean stop you from checking out Dunbine.

And you killed your gimmick, but I will still call you Nine Inch Nails-Shadow.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:So is your theory that this Char is only Char more so in physical appearance then actual personnality?

Despite having his memories implanted in him?
If yes then that is an interesting point, I have kind of discussed that with my friend also.
Since for one thing he doesn't have any desire to drop asteroids on Earth and all just yet :P
Spoiler
It's not a "theory" because we know that he is definitely not Char Aznable/Casval Rem Deikun/Edward Mass. Even with the same personality, memories, voice and scar, he is still physically not Char, and that's what matters.
jabman025

great episode guys, never had the chance to watch much of Aurua Battler Dunbine, so thanks for letting me know what I should avoid.

As for Unicorn episode 2, I have to agree with a lot of what you said in the discussion. Banager is quickly climbing my favorite pilots list due to his actions thoughout this episode and his interactions with Full Frontal really impressed me. But I must say despite the amazing battle sequences in this episode, my favorite parts were the discussions between Banager and Full Frontal on the impact of information as it relates to changing the world and Banager and Marita in reguards to Zeon replacing God in the Universal Century. Both conversations reminded me of the speech made by Vist in the first episode reguarding Newtypes and how their perceptions have changed over time. All of these conversations really seem to wrap all of the Universal Century shows together and makes other shows make a little more sense when viewed throught that prisim.

The only real beef have with this show is that 30 bucks for a Blu Ray with not much content is a bit of a rip. Still I bought it...and I'm going to buy episode 3 so I can't say too much.

Well great job guys, looking forward to the next episode, hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving.

Oh and one more thing, Neo I could sense the fear in your voice......its only a matter of time now.... :twisted:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
mobiusdiablo

Wow, nice episode! Especially loving the reviews of Unicorn, it's certainly living up to the awesomeness of the first episode. I wouldn't mind waiting longer for episode 3 if it keeps this kind of quality up.

Neo, I agree with you, Shuichi Ikeda is by far the best voice of Char. Always has been, always will be. It is a terrible shame that we can't get him for the English dubbing too, but oh well.

I'm actually surprised that neither Dennis or the Emperor Palpatine made an appearance today. Did you guys record sometime besides 2 PM Eastern Standard Time on Sunday afternoon? Or did they go on a road trip to Redmond, Washington and never come back?

Oh god, about the LIVE crap...It's ironic that I was told like a week ago that I was getting a 360 for Christmas (NOT for Mobile Ops). I've always preferred the PS3, but mine is currently still dead...And I've never understood why Microsoft (or Nintendo for that matter) use their point systems when it's simply more convenient to go the route the PS3 has.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

mobiusdiablo wrote:I'm actually surprised that neither Dennis or the Emperor Palpatine made an appearance today. Did you guys record sometime besides 2 PM Eastern Standard Time on Sunday afternoon? Or did they go on a road trip to Redmond, Washington and never come back?
They were both arrested at the Canadian border for possession of marijuana and haven't been heard from since.
jabman025

Chris wrote:
mobiusdiablo wrote:I'm actually surprised that neither Dennis or the Emperor Palpatine made an appearance today. Did you guys record sometime besides 2 PM Eastern Standard Time on Sunday afternoon? Or did they go on a road trip to Redmond, Washington and never come back?
They were both arrested at the Canadian border for possession of marijuana and haven't been heard from since.
I was expecting a story, about Palpatine and the TSA.....and something about junk.....
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Mr Bushido

jabman025 wrote:
Chris wrote:
I was expecting a story, about Palpatine and the TSA.....and something about junk.....
That Youtube vid on TSA making that little boy take off his top. Yeah... that was Palpatine's doing. :P
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
raijinz

Another great ep! My highlights were Neo's Xbox embargo, the promotion of Suicihi Ikaeda above all other languages, and a very informative Anime Toilet!

I guess the fact that even someone as great as Tomino had an off day (or decade?) gives hope to those aspiring writers out there!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

raijinz wrote:Another great ep! My highlights were Neo's Xbox embargo, the promotion of Suicihi Ikaeda above all other languages, and a very informative Anime Toilet!

I guess the fact that even someone as great as Tomino had an off day (or decade?) gives hope to those aspiring writers out there!
It's not so much an embargo, as it is an opinion on a bad business practice. Even if a company is lying, at least give more of a reason than nothing. Soul Bro will tell you I don't mind spending a few bucks if I need to, the cost isn't the issue. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to raise the price of XBL, when you major competitor (PSN) offers the same thing for free. I'm not getting anything that I can't get somewhere else. In essence, I'm paying for another game each year, without getting that game. And let's not even mention the 2.5 milliion Kinnects sold in one month. It's stupid and will probably hasten the demise of the 360. I mean, let's honest, what's Xbox's next console, all downloadable games? Fine, that's the future, let's see how well that does without Blue-ray. Good luck.

This post is dedicated to General Hate, "Hate We Can Believe In".

Now the only thing that would make this post better is if Suicihi Ikaeda would say it.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
frezik

Hey, my question made the cut.

Part of what I was trying to get at with the "contradictory sources" part is that even if you cleared out the trolls and people writing whatever pops into their head, the Gundam section of Wiki would still be a mess. Especially since a lot of these sources (e.g. model kit info) can't be easily cited by Wiki, even if a decent translation exists.

Completely agree that highly detailed info on Gundam doesn't belong on Wiki. That goes for any other series, too, be it Star Trek, Star Wars, Lost, or Lord of the Rings. And a lot of those do have very good wikis of their own. The Lost producers once said that they would sometimes reference Lostopedia when their main cannon guy is out sick. If only a Gundam wiki could be that good.
jabman025

frezik wrote:If only a Gundam wiki could be that good.
we already have one, its called mahq.net!

that'll be five dollars Chris :lol:
TakaTahuNuva

First of all, a small correction for the ill-informed Neo - there are actually seven million people here in Israel. :P (and at least one mecha fan!)

Completely agree with you guys on Neo Byston Well - it's very very very mediocre, and the plot is so cliché that it deserves to be in the Anime Toilet section. I'm actually the one who wrote the entire Wikipedia entry for this series, haha.

It actually felt like a Final Fantasy or D&D anime near the end... an adventurous hero in a magical land, and his group of friends, fight a water-snake-monster thing in order to save the princess from the evil kingdom. I haven't finished the original Dunbine series yet, so I didn't get the stuff with Shott Weapon, but I get the feeling I didn't miss much.

On Garzey's Wing - I must've seen it three or four times by now, just because of the dub. It and Macross II are the only anime I've seen that have made my cry from laughter. It's that bad.

I do disagree on Wings of Rean, though. Yes, the plot made little sense, and it's really hard to keep up with what's going on. And the ending was meh, but those are the only problems I have with it. IMO it suffers from the "F91 Syndrome" - too much stuff going on, too little time. The same story should have been spread out to 12 episodes, I think.

Haven't listened to the Unicorn review since my copy hasn't arrived yet, so I'm avoiding spoilers for now.
ohhhh snap