Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Podcasts » Gundamn! @ MAHQ




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:31 pm 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Or you can play the games they fill in more gaps then the animes do usually.

Also thanks for the spoiler about what may or may not be coming up on Gundamn@MAHQ, DG :P

Even though as I once said in a thread not too long back I do not hate the movie and all.
Hell if anything since no one hears from that Scott reviewer would be nice if someone could re-review it and give it better then 0 stars.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:06 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4618
Location: Miami, FL
Mu La Flaga wrote:
Even though as I once said in a thread not too long back I do not hate the movie and all. Hell if anything since no one hears from that Scott reviewer would be nice if someone could re-review it and give it better then 0 stars.


Why would I have someone go and re-review the movie?

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:12 am 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
Even though as I once said in a thread not too long back I do not hate the movie and all. Hell if anything since no one hears from that Scott reviewer would be nice if someone could re-review it and give it better then 0 stars.


Why would I have someone go and re-review the movie?

Well some people have felt that rating was bit harsh and all.

Not to get in to that tangent, since you've mentioned it before.

I mean even a 2 would have been better then a 0.

I just think, that after time he(Scott) should give it another go.
In all fairness, not everyone agrees with his overall rating, I'm just saying that is how I see it.
But I'm not one of those super vocal types.

I've said it before I started with the movie, I don't see it as a complete worthless piece of garbage.
Thus I disagree with Scott's review.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:22 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4618
Location: Miami, FL
Honestly, am I supposed to care what other people think? I don't care if people think it deserved better than what it got. Why? Because it's a review. A completely subjective opinion. In Scott's opinion, it deserved a zero. If other people think it deserves a higher score, they can write their own reviews on their own sites. But to say that the score on MAHQ should have been higher than what it got is irrelevant, because it's one man's opinion, not theirs.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:32 am 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Well opinions on the Nadesico movie always seem to be mixed anyway.
It's a simillar deal to the Eureka Seven movie, which I have no intention of watching.
But again all I'm going to say is the same as before I don't agree with his review and him refering to it as a travesty.

That is his opinion, mine is different also.
I'm not going to say more on this or it will start going in circles anyway.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 am 
Offline
Mecha Flunky

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:28 am
Posts: 4
I continue to stand by my review of Price of Darkness. Honestly, going into the review, having had seen the movie a year or two before, I expected to give it a 0.5 or 1. But after spending three or four hours watching it and writing the summary as I went, I just honestly could not come up with a single thing I liked about it. As much as I wanted to see the Nadesico crew again, they all felt so out-of-character/marginalized/overplayed that I honestly would have preferred to have not seen them again after all. It left a bad taste in my mouth and the thought that that would be the last we'd ever see of Nadesico was detrimental to my opinion of the show as a whole (I generally find it hard to forgive bad conclusions). So, I gave it a 0. If they had gone on with the sequel they so obviously wanted, maybe things would have been different, but at this point, that will almost certainly never happen.

Granted, that's just me--if you enjoyed it, more power to you, you found pleasure in something I could not, and that's not exactly a win for me.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:15 am 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Not going to deny it has problems with the way it worked or how it did some things.
But the movie did have loose ties to that Sega Saturn game which most people in the US didn't know about at the time the movie came out.

To keep this relatively short and not drag it out, I pose one simple question as my last intended reply on this, how does a movie held in low standards win Animage for 1998?
Well it is Japan after all :P

Sorry for getting defensive on the movie, I just don't see it as something that is horrid that should be avoided.
There is worse things that should be avoided out there.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:35 am 
Offline
Elitist Earth Politician
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:53 am
Posts: 793
Location: Michigan
Mu La Flaga wrote:
Or you can play the games they fill in more gaps then the animes do usually.


I own all 4 current OG games (US versions of the GBA games and Original Generations and OG Gaiden) and have played the games quite a few times over. It's the anime that confuses me at times where things go about in quite a different matter. But that's not a bad thing. It leads to quite some creativity and unique fun moments especially with the Gespenst MK-IIS or Gilliam's Giant Robo summoning of his Gespenst with Black Getter Robo eyes. More fanservice is also always a giant plus. Even if its not always the intended way with Sangar and Elzam at the beach. *Shivering and cringing at the thought*


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 am 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
I've got all 4 game also, but they had to condense quite a bit in to the anime.

So it's not surprising it comes off a little confusing at some points and all that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4618
Location: Miami, FL
Mu La Flaga wrote:
To keep this relatively short and not drag it out, I pose one simple question as my last intended reply on this, how does a movie held in low standards win Animage for 1998?


Award =/= quality. The fact that some people decided to bestow an award on something doesn't mean that everyone will think it's good. Pointing to awards I think is a poor argument. To follow this line of logic, do you have to like every movie that wins the Oscar for Best Picture? Does that mean they're all automatically good because they won that award? Or to keep in line with your colonial experience, what about things that win a BAFTA? Are each and every single one of them good just because they won that award?

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 am 
Offline
Der Bigen Slicen
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 2622
Location: Cruisin' the Universe w/Spaceman Spiff!!!
Besides there has to be something on MAHQ that has a zero rating! :wink:

_________________
Thundermuffin wrote:
AMURO: What? Don't be ridiculous- Tomino is just an abstract construct, he doesn't really exist.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 am 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
To keep this relatively short and not drag it out, I pose one simple question as my last intended reply on this, how does a movie held in low standards win Animage for 1998?


Award =/= quality. The fact that some people decided to bestow an award on something doesn't mean that everyone will think it's good. Pointing to awards I think is a poor argument. To follow this line of logic, do you have to like every movie that wins the Oscar for Best Picture? Does that mean they're all automatically good because they won that award? Or to keep in line with your colonial experience, what about things that win a BAFTA? Are each and every single one of them good just because they won that award?

I'm not saying I do that with all movie or anime viewing experiences.

I just used it as one of those things to throw out there for that.

It's just at times, it seems like most people hate on POD movie seem to outweight the people who like it(such as myself and maybe DG?), by the sounds of it at times in some places around the net.

I mean I don't know what everyone else's opinion on it is.

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:
Besides there has to be something on MAHQ that has a zero rating! :wink:
True, but so far it's only thing to really get that rating.

I mean the only thing which comes close to it is the moon moon epsiodes of ZZ.
And can some people really say that this whole movie is as bad as those 2 episodes?, really? :P


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 am 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4618
Location: Miami, FL
Mu La Flaga wrote:
It's just at times, it seems like most people hate on POD movie seem to outweight the people who like it(such as myself and maybe DG?), by the sounds of it at times in some places around the net.


So what? People are free to like or dislike whatever they want. Not everyone is going to like something because you like it, and vice versa. If x number of people dislike PoD, it doesn't change the fact that you like it, so what do you care that a lot of people don't like it?

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:09 pm 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
It's just at times, it seems like most people hate on POD movie seem to outweight the people who like it(such as myself and maybe DG?), by the sounds of it at times in some places around the net.


So what? People are free to like or dislike whatever they want. Not everyone is going to like something because you like it, and vice versa. If x number of people dislike PoD, it doesn't change the fact that you like it, so what do you care that a lot of people don't like it?

I don't know, maybe it's because I share DG's mindset of sometimes not just hating on something just because alot of other people's opinions tend to disagree with mine.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, not sure why I get defensive over it when I know I have seen worse or things I did genuinely dislike or enjoyed less.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:20 pm 
Offline
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Posts: 1064
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Chris wrote:
Award =/= quality. The fact that some people decided to bestow an award on something doesn't mean that everyone will think it's good. Pointing to awards I think is a poor argument. To follow this line of logic, do you have to like every movie that wins the Oscar for Best Picture? Does that mean they're all automatically good because they won that award? Or to keep in line with your colonial experience, what about things that win a BAFTA? Are each and every single one of them good just because they won that award?


I think a better question is, has any work that has won an Oscar/BAFTA/whatever been completely devoid of any merit whatsoever? That's what a zero rating implies to me (unless the reviewer gives negative ratings, which MAHQ doesn't). Sure, the Nadesico movie has flaws, but I don't think it's completely worthless.

_________________
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:44 pm 
Offline
Canada's Finest Lolicon Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 pm
Posts: 4632
Location: In the back of the Party Van
Mu La Flaga wrote:
I mean the only thing which comes close to it is the moon moon epsiodes of ZZ.
And can some people really say that this whole movie is as bad as those 2 episodes?, really? :P


You can't compare those two things because the ratings were given by two different reviewers who have a different set of standards.

While I don't agree with Scott's reviews it's still his right to give whatever rating he thinks is appropriate even if others aren't happy with it. People have criticized my reviews in the past for being too generous with Divine Wars and the OVA but I'm not about to become harsher on every show I review in the future because of it.

Mu, I understand the desire to stand up for something constantly being picked on. Kinda that inate desire to protect the weak and downtroddened. I've got several shows I like more because of that, but this isn't the case with POD. I saw it long before I knew how hated it was and I loved it on my first watching.

Anyways, the funny thing about me and Neo on Nadesico is that our usual roles are reversed: I am critical of the TV series while he isn't.

I suspect my views on the show will pit Soul Bro against me too ^^"

_________________
From the abyss blacker than darkness, it is the shadow cast by the light of science.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:09 pm 
Offline
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4618
Location: Miami, FL
Vent Noir wrote:
I think a better question is, has any work that has won an Oscar/BAFTA/whatever been completely devoid of any merit whatsoever? That's what a zero rating implies to me (unless the reviewer gives negative ratings, which MAHQ doesn't). Sure, the Nadesico movie has flaws, but I don't think it's completely worthless.


Again, as I've been trying to say, this is a completely subjective issue. You think the movie has merit, and Scott doesn't. Thus it has the rating that he gave it. Everyone is free to think what they want about the movie, but the for purpose of the MAHQ review, Scott as the reviewer found it completely without merit. What's the issue here?

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 pm 
Offline
Podcast Superstar*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Posts: 504
Location: Orlando, FL
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
I suspect my views on the show will pit Soul Bro against me too ^^"

I hate to say it, Petey, but you'll have no dog in that fight ^_^

_________________
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 pm 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Sydney, Australia
Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
I mean the only thing which comes close to it is the moon moon epsiodes of ZZ.
And can some people really say that this whole movie is as bad as those 2 episodes?, really? :P


You can't compare those two things because the ratings were given by two different reviewers who have a different set of standards.

While I don't agree with Scott's reviews it's still his right to give whatever rating he thinks is appropriate even if others aren't happy with it. People have criticized my reviews in the past for being too generous with Divine Wars and the OVA but I'm not about to become harsher on every show I review in the future because of it.

Mu, I understand the desire to stand up for something constantly being picked on. Kinda that inate desire to protect the weak and downtroddened. I've got several shows I like more because of that, but this isn't the case with POD. I saw it long before I knew how hated it was and I loved it on my first watching.
True and on reply to the 2nd part, was I actually saw it like ages before I came here and like 1-2 years before I used to go to another forum and all.

So my POD experience predates having that mindset, it's just everywhere I went 75% of people tended to hate on it as I said.

So just being clear on that small detail.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:28 am
Posts: 4
Quote:
True, but so far it's only thing to really get that rating.

I mean the only thing which comes close to it is the moon moon epsiodes of ZZ.
And can some people really say that this whole movie is as bad as those 2 episodes?, really? :P


I may be alone on this, but as far as numerical reviews go, I honestly treat them as a set per series. A 3 star episode of Nadesico is not necessarily the same thing as a 3 star episode of ZZ Gundam. Stars are useful to compare episodes of a series to other episodes of that series, but far less useful when crossing series boundaries. There were years between my reviews of Planetes and my reviews of Nadesico--there was no possible way that 3 stars was going to mean exactly the same thing, even if the two shows weren't so entirely different in what they set out to do. If you're trying to be scientific about it, the only thing those numbers can really measure is that I enjoyed episode 13 was significantly more than episode 19. And really that's only because I like crazy plot twists more than I like fanservice episodes. Others may disagree, it doesn't make them any more wrong or right than it makes me.

Also, I would imagine that the reason nobody else has used a 0 rating is because if a show had a point so low that person would rate it 0, they probably wouldn't really want to review the show in the first place. I reviewed Nadesico in spite of the fact that I would have to review the movie as well--I suppose I could have just cheesed out on reviewing the movie (Chris doesn't exactly pay well :D ), but I really don't like leaving things half-done. The upside of it is that I did gain a small measure of internet infamy out of the deal. I'd be lying if I said I didn't kind of enjoy that.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Podcasts » Gundamn! @ MAHQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: