Ep. 071 - The False and the Forgotten

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 071 - The False and the Forgotten

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 071 - "The False and the Forgotten"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 155 min., 4 sec. (2:35:04) - 70.9 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:47:55

03. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:47:55 - 0:48:54

04. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:48:54 - 0:50:03

05. 1st Segment: "Roundtable Discussion - 'The Great Mecha & Sci-Fi Anime Franchise Revival!'"
Runtime: 0:50:03 - 1:30:04

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:30:04 - 1:31:11

07. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:31:11 - 1:32:02

08. 2nd Segment: "Macross Round-up! - 'Macross Frontier: The False Songstress" (Movie)
Runtime: 1:32:02 - 2:25:56

09. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 2:25:56 - 2:26:45

10. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:26:45 - 2:27:14

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:27:14 - 2:35:04

Tell Wifey that Valentines' Day is on hold! A new episode of Gundamn! @ MAHQ is here and in this episode we explore what Science Fiction and Mecha Anime properties that we wish would be renewed domestically. Then Macross Round-up returns with our discussion of the 2009 movie re-imagining of Macross Frontier!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for the latest episode & more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)

- Chaos Theater, Ep. 002 - "One Piece" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)

- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32

- Chaos Theater, Ep. 002 - "One Piece" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13735

- Feedback Email: [email protected]

- Twitter: @CTCast

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
* "DC Douglas: Albert Wesker Voicemail and Ringtones" from DirectorSmiley (YouTube Channel)

- Cold Open BGM
"Theme of Albert Wesker" by Hideyuki Fukasawa
* from the "Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds" Original Video Game Soundtrack

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Rojiura no Uchuu Shōnen (Back Alley Space Boy)" by The Cobratwisters
* from the "Chikyū Bōei KiGyō Dai-Guard" Original Anime Soundtrack

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Trust You Forever" by Yoshifumi Ushima
* Season Two OP from the "Mobile Fighter God Gundam" Original Anime Soundtrack

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Theme of Taskmaster" by Hideyuki Fukasawa
* from the "Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds" Original Video Game Soundtrack

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Kon'ya wa Hurricane (There's a Hurricane Tonight)" feat. Kinuko Oomori by Kouji Makaino
* from the "Bubblegum Crisis - Ongaku-Hen" Original Soundtrack

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Silent Wind" by Eri Sugai
* OP from the "Argento Soma" Original Anime Soundtrack

- Champs Sports Commercial BGM
"Blackwater Drive" by The Herbaliser
* from the album "Same As It Never Was"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"Universal Bunny" by Sheryl Nome starring May'n
* from the "Macross Frontier the Movie: The False Songstress" Original Animated Motion Picture Soundtrack

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"Obelisk" by Sheryl Nome starring May'n
* from the "Macross Frontier the Movie: The False Songstress" Original Animated Motion Picture Soundtrack

- Outro BGM
* "Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Theme of Phoenix Remix by Asis Galvin" by AsisGalvin (YouTube Channel)

- Outro Drop
* "Duel of the Snipers" from "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society" (Anime Movie)

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Put It On Tape" by The Herbaliser
* from the album "Blow Your Headphones"

- Stinger Drop
* "Extended version - ESPN Ole Miss Star Wars Commercial" by ESPN

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
mobiusdiablo

Re: Ep. 071 - The False and the Forgotten

As a note in general, Chris's audio quality didn't sound that good this time around. Was there something wrong with the equipment?

I actually went and paused the show to watch the Macross Frontier movie, then listened to what you guys had to say. Honestly, I didn't like Sheryl that much in the show, and although I liked her more in the movie, I'm siding with Soulbro on this one. The fact that Ranka and Alto knew each other before the events of the movie, and their interactions with one another made their relationship feel stronger. Not only that, but I feel that during the movie, Alto and Sheryl had more of a professional relationship, and Alto alludes to that in the train scene with Ranka. Granted, the moments with Sheryl (lol date on Segways) and the later half of the film make it so that Sheryl is falling for Alto and maybe vice versa. We shall see for the second movie, but I will proudly state I am on Team Ranka.

Other than the aforementioned audio quality, great episode, liked how Chris and Neo braved the hell of "Candyland". Personally I would love to see Megas XLR released somehow for home video...yeah never happening.

P.S.: Yes, Neo, Soulbro has been wrong in the past and will be in the future, but you're not called 'ill-informed' for nothing. And your prognosticating is still sometimes off :-)
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Chris
Administrator

mobiusdiablo wrote:As a note in general, Chris's audio quality didn't sound that good this time around. Was there something wrong with the equipment?
My internet connection stopped working, so I had to call into Skype from my cell phone.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

mobiusdiablo wrote: P.S.: Yes, Neo, Soulbro has been wrong in the past and will be in the future, but you're not called 'ill-informed' for nothing. And your prognosticating is still sometimes off :-)
My "Ill-formedness" has nothing to do with this. Plus my prognosticating is about 50%, which is good odds in sports betting.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mr Bushido

Probably my favorite part in the episode was everyone stealing all of Chris' waifu choices. Simply hilarious lol
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Mu La Flaga

Neo yep got the humour down pegged I am 1/2 Brittish from my parents, it's that kind of humor you take it in good humor and not be offended by everything.

But as for our wildlife Sould Bro Ryu is right, don't forget to watch out for those Drop Bears.
Vent Noir knows I mean ;)

On the Code Geass thing, I don't share Chris'es sentiment or feel over exposed on Johnny Yong Bosh, I agree with Saber, he did pretty good in the role, I've heard Yuri Lowenthal in more roles or games then Johnny Yong Bosh.

On the whole choosing a wife thing from a meha series, I would have a few potential candidates in mind :P

But I need to give it some in depth thought as to who, but I share Neo's sentiment of multiple wives.
So expect to see edits later on :P

Also Chris having distored audio for this and on Chaos Theater, remminds me of the good old G-Gundam episode :P

For ones which need license rescues.
VOTOMs yeah it needs it especially with all the nice OVAs out there to it nowadays.
GaoGaiGar and thus give FINAL a release also, see Gurren Lagenn's predecessor.
Macross if we could get around Harmony Gold, the US boxset costs an arm and a leg.
Bubblegum Crisis since 2040 is out of print over here, BGC the original would be nice too.
Chris, Soul Bro, don't put down 2040, I know it's not as good as the original but it's still good in it's own right.
If you are going to at least be fair and put down some reaosns as to why.
I don't consider this remake to be inferior, I consider it nearly as good and in some ways better to BGC.
That is all I'm going to say, just making my opinion, I don't like seeing 2040 get bashed on just because it's a remake.
Giant Robo Would be nice as it's one I have interest in.
Dunbine Bring it back maybe.

Daiguard I've always had interest in.
Gasaraki I have before it went out of print.

Neo: Were you thinking of Detonator Orgun?, not Orguss.

I can think of a bunch of series for ones that should come over.
Steel Jeeg
Gaiking Legend of Daikyu Maryu

Also just to say I have suggested Fafner for an anime spotlight before, I might not be the only one though.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I think I'd pick Nia Teppelin. After timeskip, of course. She's just an overall awesome person and a real beauty.

So Chris literally 'phoned it in' this time?

I really liked the dub for Code Geass, and I thought Johnny did a great job for Lelouch. A few times in R2 he started sounding like Ichigo, though. =p

The music in this ep was great, Soul Bro. I'll be patient and wait for the track list.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
The Fowl Sorcerous

speaking of candyland wishes for re-released classic sci-fi anime: Captain Harlock(everything: original series, arcadia of my youth, SSX, endless odyssey, etc.) and Galaxy Express 999 (movies and tv series)
[[lorem ipsum]]
jabman025

Great show guys

I have had the original Bubblegum Crisis on DVD for a long time I never knew it was all that rare. Speaking of candyland wishs, Rahxephon complete series on Blu Ray, the original MSG movie trilogy with a dub on Blu Ray, Captain Harlock, and of course Megas XLR.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Hyakushiki

Great show,

I was thinking since we're digging into the crates for forgotten shows that should be revived how about Project A-ko, it was one of the first anime I saw and I have been wanting to add it to my collection for a long time. A remastered box set would awesome. Another would be the Gall Force OVAs, luckily I bought them all on the cheap at a convention years back but they deserve the BluRay treatment as all of Kenichi Sonoda's women should!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
TheGoose

hawk of endymion wrote:My "Ill-formedness" has nothing to do with this.
No, it has everything to do with this. Plus, since you seem to be dodging your mistake, I think you're also, "ill-equipped," to handle all the ribbings you've gotten. :lol: Weird to see you stumble remembering the stuff you have and haven't talked about. Since your hair is falling out and your memory is going I think you might want to collect more social security. After that, Chris/Soul Bro, I think it's time to send Neo to work for Wal-Mart. :twisted:

Also, I have to stand up for Soul Bro. Shouldn't knock the man down until he makes an actual mistake. I didn't see any problem with him talking about a British man being cast for Superman. Though, I wonder why you brought it up in the first place for Straight Talk. I haven't heard many problems from people concerning the casting, so no troll blood was spilled when you took the reins. For shame, Neo. :|

Besides that, I enjoyed the episode. Unfortunately, I had to skip the Macross movie segment since I haven't seen it yet. I was surpised about some of the anime you guys mentioned. Robot Carnival would be an excellent one to get licensed. It'd be nice to have it with all the those Katsuhiro Otomo anthology movies (Neo Tokoyo, Memories) already released here. But, I don't see it getting licensed since it's only marketability is Otomo's name and nothing else. One correction I have to make though is that Giant Robo is still licensed and you can still get the entire OVA and the Gin-Rei special on DVD (I should know since I got my copy last Christmas). The Dirty Pair movies and OVAs were released by ADV, but since ADV is gone, they're hard to come by. On the other hand, the Dirty Pair TV series has been released by Right Stuf. International and can be bought.

Stuff I'd love to see released would be Space Runaway Ideon and Galactic Drifter Vifam.
gundamtype0

Great podcast gents. I'm in the same boat as Chris with the Orguss DVDs. By the time I was about to buy them, the company yanked them out. A couple of shows that need to be released again from old ADV are Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter Robo.

Oh yeah, go team Sheryl.
Mu La Flaga

Been giving this some thought for the Wife Gundam part.
Let's see.

Zeta Gundam.
Sarah, despite her small flaws she is a loyal woman or she can be and I love that pink hair of hers.
Possibly Mouar also, but Jerrid has her.
Kiki from 08th MS Team.
Minmay from Macross definetely.
Yoko from Gurren Lagann.

SEED and Destiny.
Lunamaria, Cagalli, Flay, Stella, Meer.

SRW OGs:
Excellen, Leona, Rio, Mai, Aya, Luune, Seolla, Kusuha.

Code Geass:
Shirley, Euphemia, CC, Karen/Kallen, Cecile, Viletta.

And that is my list for that part as promised before. :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

TheGoose wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:My "Ill-formedness" has nothing to do with this.
No, it has everything to do with this. Plus, since you seem to be dodging your mistake, I think you're also, "ill-equipped," to handle all the ribbings you've gotten. :lol: Weird to see you stumble remembering the stuff you have and haven't talked about. Since your hair is falling out and your memory is going I think you might want to collect more social security. After that, Chris/Soul Bro, I think it's time to send Neo to work for Wal-Mart. :twisted:

Also, I have to stand up for Soul Bro. Shouldn't knock the man down until he makes an actual mistake. I didn't see any problem with him talking about a British man being cast for Superman. Though, I wonder why you brought it up in the first place for Straight Talk. I haven't heard many problems from people concerning the casting, so no troll blood was spilled when you took the reins. For shame, Neo. :|
I think I've admited enough mistakes, I'll put a full page retraction this Sunday in every major newspaper, damn the budget.

Soul Bro needs to stand up for himself.

And I think you missed the point of my comments of British Superman, you might want to listen to that part again. And Soul Bro wasn't being knocked down.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Soul Bro Ryu

Seraphic wrote:The music in this ep was great, Soul Bro. I'll be patient and wait for the track list.
Dreams do come true! J/K

Eps. 69 - 71 are now updated with music credits! Enjoy ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
TheGoose

hawk of endymion wrote:Soul Bro needs to stand up for himself.

And I think you missed the point of my comments of British Superman, you might want to listen to that part again. And Soul Bro wasn't being knocked down.
How can a man stand up for himself with you knocking him down for no reason? :lol: You misused the Straight Talk express and jumped on Soul Bro for trying to talk even though you brought up Superman for no other reason than to get people to post more. Later, in the first segment, you call Soul Bro an idiot for mentioning you guys never talked about Orgus in a segment. Even though he was right and you guys never did talk about Orgus in a segment. Did you forget? Is your memory really going? :twisted:
hawk of endymion

TheGoose wrote:How can a man stand up for himself with you knocking him down for no reason? :lol: You misused the Straight Talk express and jumped on Soul Bro for trying to talk even though you brought up Superman for no other reason than to get people to post more. Later, in the first segment, you call Soul Bro an idiot for mentioning you guys never talked about Orgus in a segment. Even though he was right and you guys never did talk about Orgus in a segment. Did you forget? Is your memory really going? :twisted:
Sorry, Chris about the Straight Talk Express. Oh, right your not Chris, so where do you get off telling I missed used anything, especially the Straight Talk Express. The Superman thing was a play on pass Straight Talk Expresses about people like you over analyze everything.

Ok, yeah, I want people to post on MechaTalk, that's the whole idea. MAHQ has supported us and I want to support it. And guess what, you posted, so who won in the end.

So I misspoke about Orgus, sorry, I know we haven't talk about it. We've done over 80 shows and I'm not expected to remember each show, segment, and episode number. The three of us at times remember different segments and episodes more vividly than others. But I know you've never misspoken in public before, so I'll remember to live up to your standards in the future.

I don't where this "Defend Soul Bro" mentality comes from. Believe me, Soul Bro can defend himself, I'm sure he appreciates the help, but doesn't really need it in the end. Everything that is said between the three of us is all harmless. And the three of us are adults, where there is something that crosses the line, we address it ourselves.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Mu La Flaga

I assume Soul Bro defending himself is calling out his army/Soul Bro's Men for battle formation Neo? :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawk of endymion

I don't know what's up with the Soul Bro Defense Force.

But I may need you and Dollow soon.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

TheGoose

hawk of endymion wrote:Sorry, Chris about the Straight Talk Express. Oh, right your not Chris, so where do you get off telling I missed used anything, especially the Straight Talk Express. The Superman thing was a play on pass Straight Talk Expresses about people like you over analyze everything.

Ok, yeah, I want people to post on MechaTalk, that's the whole idea. MAHQ has supported us and I want to support it. And guess what, you posted, so who won in the end.
I don't have a problem with you wanting people to post on the site. I'm fine with that. Though, I just didn't know your reasoning for bringing up something like the casting of Superman. Especially, when Soul Bro didn't know you were making a pass and tried to talk about it. How was I to know you were just joking about that?
hawk of endymion wrote:So I misspoke about Orgus, sorry, I know we haven't talk about it. We've done over 80 shows and I'm not expected to remember each show, segment, and episode number. The three of us at times remember different segments and episodes more vividly than others. But I know you've never misspoken in public before, so I'll remember to live up to your standards in the future.
I was just joking about you forgetting you didn't talk about Orgus. I don't see why I can't kid when you and many others do it all the time.
hawk of endymion wrote:I don't where this "Defend Soul Bro" mentality comes from. Believe me, Soul Bro can defend himself, I'm sure he appreciates the help, but doesn't really need it in the end. Everything that is said between the three of us is all harmless. And the three of us are adults, where there is something that crosses the line, we address it ourselves.
I don't have a problem with ribbing on Soul Bro. I just thought you needed a reason to rib on him to do it. Since you didn't really have one, I wanted to defend him. Though, now I see that fun ribbing without a reason is alright.