Ep. 069 - Stark Raving Madhouse!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
jabman025

Re: Ep. 069 - Stark Raving Madhouse!

hawk of endymion wrote:
Kosh wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:And is that crusier called Mon Calamari, as in "I'll start with the calamari", what the hell?!
Yeah, cos it belongs to admiral Ackbar's race, the Mon Calamari. You know, these guys:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/specie ... /eu_bg.jpg
I know Admiral Ackbar, he almost became the mascot at Ole Miss. Didn't know the race of him though, not a huge Star Wars fan, big Empire Strikes Back fan though.
ITS A TRAP!

sorry couldn't resist
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
kayone73

great podcast guys.

First of all

1. Iron Man anime - I've only watched a couple eps so far, it's pretty clear what you guys think of it, I'm going to reserve mine until I finish the series, hopefully by next week.

2. deaths in comic books - since they already violated the rule of never bringing back Bucky or Jason Todd, i'm just *waiting* for Marvel to pull some ridiculous crap to 'bring back' Uncle Ben. Honestly death's of major comic book characters means virtually nothing now since every one written seems to be done purely as a cash grab and not as a natural evolution of the character's story. Not that we should take comic books seriously anyway, they're comic books after all, but really, the mainstream (Marvel & DC) industry has really degenrated into something quite sad. No wonder mainstream interest in Indpedendant comic book/graphic novels is at an all time high. People will actually write stories and create characters with no compromise and real depth & punch.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hi guys. I was real glad to see this episode come out. Over the course of the winter break I was just sitting by myself in the dark because my girl was away visiting her parents. Gundamn! was on break and I was just wasting away my time with a terrible video game. It was absolutely terrible, haha.

But you know, I picked her up from the airport just the other day, and lo and behold, Gundamn! has a new episode up, too. I guess good news comes in waves, lol.

My only exposure to the original Tron was through Kingdom Hearts II where it was very bland and I just wanted to get through Space Paranoids and leave with my new keyblade as fast as possible. Then again, that was my general impression of most of the worlds in KHII. The only things I enjoyed in that game were spamming my dual keyblades in Valor form and witnessing the pure unadulterated RAEP that was the Final form. Good times. =3

So, I saw Legacy without any bias for the original. It was pretty much a mindless action flick with a good effects budget. I mean, they just shoved the main character into those death games with no real explanation. I enjoyed all the little Zen tidbits, but outside of that I was not expecting much from the film. I do think it made a heartfelt attempt at connecting its characters together, and I do praise it for that.
gundamtype0 wrote:Agreed, but I still don't understand the point of Libra. Romefeller called a new symbol to unite Earth. It's just a big laser of doom that's hovering around the earth sphere and if someone went of line, you get fired upon. Great.
Libra was a technological marvel and the most powerful weapon in the earth sphere. If you haven't noticed, the factions in GW like to organize themselves behind powerful symbols. For instance, the Alliance had the Noventa Cannon (a super badass artillery/AA cannon if I've ever seen one), OZ had the battleship Barge, and various other organizations used the Gundams to represent them.

White Fang would not fire on their own colonies like some of the other organizations seen in other Gundams. As far as I can tell, having this battleship is kinda like the US having its stache of nuclear weapons. They're not for use in keeping the citizens in their place, but have practical use against enemies and symbolize our technological and military strength.

I had something to mention about superweapons, but I have forgotten what I was going to say. Anyway, yeah, stop letting crazy people control your evil superweapons.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
MrVince

Thanks for the episode. Interesting perspectives, as always.

I know the cast more or less give a pass to the original Tron, but i wanted to toss in a footnote. With the technical limitations of early 1980s hardware, the CG was limited to just under a total of 20 minutes. The lines in that original movie weren't great, but with less action and more lines a viewer will have a greater license to interpret any which way.
Mu La Flaga

So here is that spill.com review of Watchmen I mentioned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Q3zgfp0X4

So Leon is the guy I was trying to remmeber for 3 hours he never says he was bored yet he rates it as a rental.

I remembered wrong, but I still get one of those similar feelings from him.
Him out of the 4 spill reviewers is usually the hardest one to impress.

That and I think it was good idea to post this up relating to Sould Bro talking about the Watchmen review spill.com did.:P
Chris
Administrator

MrVince wrote:Thanks for the episode. Interesting perspectives, as always.

I know the cast more or less give a pass to the original Tron, but i wanted to toss in a footnote. With the technical limitations of early 1980s hardware, the CG was limited to just under a total of 20 minutes. The lines in that original movie weren't great, but with less action and more lines a viewer will have a greater license to interpret any which way.
I don't think we gave Tron a pass at all. We went on at length about how it's not the masterpiece people think it is, and that it's just a simple sci-fi action story using computers as a backdrop. As I said in the episode, even compared to just sci-fi movies that were released in the same year, it doesn't hold a candle to Blade Runner or Star Trek II.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Hyakushiki

Great show,
I think one awesome but useless super weapon that wasn't mentioned in this thread yet is the Grand Cannon from Super Dimension Fortress Macross. It's a fixed cannon that can hit fleets in orbit, only if they are facing the right side of the Earth and takes a long time to charge and fire. Worst of all UN Spacy depended on this one weapon alone to save them from possible invasion. By the time it was ready they not only miss the target but the Zentradi fleet wipes out most of the planet anyway!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
kayone73

Oh I checked out that loser on youtube giving the scathing Transformers Prime review. It's pretty clear he's just a fulltime youtube troll and unfortunately, I came out that experience slightly dumber for having watched it. I'm not even sure he believes what he says, either he's a genuine angry nerd who is holding onto something nobody else cares about, or he just wants as much attn as a balding guy without a real job, living in his mom's basement can get.
Chris
Administrator

@Hyakushiki
I'll admit the Grand Cannon slipped my mind. However, though not really touched upon in the series, there were multiple Grand Cannons across the world, but if I'm remembering correctly, the one at Alaska base was the only one in operation at the time. If they had a functioning network across the world, that'd make it a more viable superweapon.

@kayone73
I think this guy is the real deal. Believe me, I've encountered plenty of dead end G1-ers over the years, and these are all the sorts of things they say. I don't think this guy is clever enough to just be trolling those hardcore fans with some caricature. There are plenty of people his age who when it comes to Transformers, the world never moved beyond 1984.
Furious Rodimus

Chris wrote:@Hyakushiki
@kayone73
I think this guy is the real deal. Believe me, I've encountered plenty of dead end G1-ers over the years, and these are all the sorts of things they say. I don't think this guy is clever enough to just be trolling those hardcore fans with some caricature. There are plenty of people his age who when it comes to Transformers, the world never moved beyond 1984.
[rant]
I sometimes hate being a Transformers fan b/c nothing is ever "good" enough. People hate both Bay films b/c they have too much action/lack of story, and then IDW releases comics that are slower paced, more thought out and people rag on them for not having enough action. Or telling a story that that individual fan wouldn't have (which I am even more thankful for). I like G1 but there are some pretty laughable episodes in there. I generally enjoy most of the series with Masterforce being my overall favorite currently.

Overall the biggest problem seems to be that nobody can be happy b/c it's not exactly the same as G1, but I know for a fact that if it was exactly the same those same people would complain b/c nothing new happened. Grrr! [/rant]
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Mr Bushido

On the part with Transformers, I grew up with G1 and I'd say that's really how I got into robots which eventually led me to Gundam. I love Transformers and I've watched all incarnations up till Transformers Cybertron. To me I thought TF: Cybertron was lame whereas Armada I liked and Energon I thought did alright. Personal favorite would be Beast Wars. Anyways I watched that guy's video and I couldn't finish it cause it was pretty bad.

I thought about it for a bit and I thought that super weapon at Heaven's Base did it's job although it was restricted as technically being an AA gun.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
kayone73

Ok, I finished the Iron Man series and my concise thoughts.

Animation/Action - I actual prefer the cleaner CG'ed look to the power armor combat than what was portrayed in the original hand drawn fully cel animated trailer. It helps keep the look and motion of the armors pretty consistent thruout the show.

Story - yeah the zodiac theme got pretty repetitive and the 'monsters of the week' were dispatched way too quickly. I like the general underlying conspiracy story but its frankly a bit transparent and easy to call from a ways away.

Characterization - at the start, I thought Tony Stark was very...Tony Stark, but as the series went on...he became much more of a japanese type anime character and losing his western snarkiness.

Other than that, I just like the fact that this show was still dominated by real adults with a noticeable absence for teen sidekicks or cute kidding moe characters (with the exception of the ONE episode, you'll know what I'm talking about).

I thought overall it was a decently noble effort. I really like the soundtrack and OP song arrangement.
MrVince

Chris wrote:
MrVince wrote:Thanks for the episode. Interesting perspectives, as always.

I don't think we gave Tron a pass at all. We went on at length about how it's not the masterpiece people think it is, and that it's just a simple sci-fi action story using computers as a backdrop. As I said in the episode, even compared to just sci-fi movies that were released in the same year, it doesn't hold a candle to Blade Runner or Star Trek II.
Based on what you said and what was said in the episode, it sounds like the cast felt the original Tron wasn't great nor awful. That's why I sad the cast gave it a "pass". Perhaps there's something which was cut from the original podcast episode?

Anyway, I'm hoping and dreaming for that Blu Ray release to come sooner than later. =)
Chris
Administrator

MrVince wrote:Based on what you said and what was said in the episode, it sounds like the cast felt the original Tron wasn't great nor awful. That's why I sad the cast gave it a "pass". Perhaps there's something which was cut from the original podcast episode?

Anyway, I'm hoping and dreaming for that Blu Ray release to come sooner than later. =)
You're using the phrase "give a pass" in a different context than how it's normally used. I see now that you meant it in a pass/fail sense. But when people usually say "give a pass" they mean letting it get away with something, or dismissing criticism of something.
muppetgundam

Congrats on the new sponsor! As a former hobbiest podcaster, if you don't mind my asking, I'm curious, how do you guys solicit sponsors (or are they knocking down your doors)?
Am I a Muppet, or am I a Gundam?
If I'm a Gundam, that makes me a Muppet of a Gundam.
mobiusdiablo

muppetgundam wrote:Congrats on the new sponsor! As a former hobbiest podcaster, if you don't mind my asking, I'm curious, how do you guys solicit sponsors (or are they knocking down your doors)?
Yeah...I doubt that they're barging in and holding them hostage until they agree to put plugs into the episodes. Otherwise we'd be hearing a lot more good stuff about Bandai lol. But that is an interesting question, how the hell does one go about getting sponsors, especially for something like a podcast?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
jcncasval76

hawk of endymion wrote:
Kosh wrote:Just quickly: You guys got the Return of the Jedi Death Star all wrong! They shoot capital ships with it, they destroy a whole Mon Calamari cruiser with it in fact (Lando: "That blast came from the Death Star! It's operational!").

One ship is not very good results for the resources put into the Death Star. This is why the Empire Strikes Back is the only movie that matters, no Death Star or superweapon of any kind.

And is that crusier called Mon Calamari, as in "I'll start with the calamari", what the hell?!
thank god there are no stupid hunk of junk weapons flying around in the most recent version of 007 movies, because I think "Die Another Day" may have killed off any chance of stupid weapons returning.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
hotlimit

Great episode guys, I finally broke into my 2011 MAHQ podcasts after getting through that neat 2010 retrospective episode.

I love the talk about the super-weapons, especially all those goofy Zeon reject Mobile Armors. I know it's certainly not a super weapon, but I'm surprised the Zakrello didn't get another mention, hahaha.

I also liked Chris's take on all the nostalgia BS, I think when it comes down to it, if you don't have a substantial case for why you enjoyed something old, you can't go comparing it to one of the current release (and in Neo's case, don't go comparing it on video and then upload it to youtube, hahaha- man you really have it out for these dudes). Along with "heart and soul", I'd like to add "charm" to the list of nonsense words people use when they can't explain why they like something with any competence.

Specifically, I can't say anything about Transformers G1 (a little too young, that was my brother's generation), or Tron (I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, though I'm learning). I will say that when I first heard about the remake, all I could think was, "Really, Tron? Is that something people still care about?"
Yazan Gable

I apologize if I'm not supposed to post in threads this old.

My one hitch with the podcast was when the Metal Gears were mentioned. Snake is a clone of the greatest soldier, so him being able to destroy a Metal Gear is not that ridiculous. The Metal Gear RAYs weren't real since they can get upwards to 20 attacking Raiden and, even allowing for Arsenal Gear to actually carry 20 RAYs, the ship would have been torn to bits from continuous attacks. Arsenal Gear itself is also not a "super weapon"; it's a massive (massively massive) ship that serves as a massive fortress meant to control information (as in television, internet, radio, etc.) and to house GW. It was slammed into Manhattan because Emma's virus threw GW out of wack and Revolver Ocelot took advantage and sent Arsenal Gear flying into the island to destroy GW for sure. Outer Haven, the stolen Arsenal Gear, was like the first except it now had an awesome Mount Snakemore front to it, GW was rebuilt to take over The Patriots, and REX's Railgun was stolen to mount on Arsenal Gear to shoot down the satellite housing the Patriots. Unlike the Death Star which seemed to take one missile in the right hole to blow up, the first Arsenal Gear took the work of Raiden, Solid Snake, Otacon, and Emma Emmerich, the first two master soldiers and infiltrators and the latter two master hackers to take out; Outer Haven took Snake, Otacon, Meryl and Johnny, Sunny, Naomi, Drebin, what remained of the US Military, and a WWII battleship captained by Mei Ling to stop it.

In short, the REX was defeated by a clone of the greatest soldier. The RAYs were not real. Neither Arsenal Gears were actual super weapons in the sense of the other listed weapons and were also much more difficult to destroy and disrupt than any other.

Other than that, great podcast!
I'm going to violate you.
Chris
Administrator

I'm sorry but what is the point of this nitpicking here?