Ep. 069 - Stark Raving Madhouse!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 069 - Stark Raving Madhouse!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 069 - "Stark Raving Madhouse!" (Version 2.0)
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 136 min., 41 sec. (2:16:41) - 62.6 MB
(Version 2.0 - Corrected Error in Closing Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:49:39

03. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:49:39 - 0:50:29

04. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 0:50:29 - 0:51:30

05. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight - Iron Man (Marvel Anime Series 1)"
Runtime: 0:51:30 - 1:25:08

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:25:08 - 1:26:07

07. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:26:07 - 1:27:16

08. 2nd Segment: "Roundtable Discussion - Big Dumb Super Weapons!"
Runtime: 1:27:16 - 2:07:12

09. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:07:12 - 2:07:42

10. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:07:42 - 2:09:12

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:09:12 - 2:16:41

Welcome back, Gundamnation! Kicking off the new year with a brand new anime, our first segment of 2011 is our review of the inaugural Marvel Anime, Iron Man! Then, thanks to a topic suggestion by listener GundamMaker01, we explore the litany of not-so Super Weapons that have appeared in various series & movies over the years.

Many thanks go out to GundamMaker01 for his topic suggestion and to submit your own, simply post it in the ongoing thread in the Gundamn! @ MAHQ Forums at Mechatalk.net!

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)

- Chaos Theater, Ep. 001 - "Earthbound" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)

- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32

- Chaos Theater, Ep. 001 - "Earthbound" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13628

- Feedback Email: [email protected]

- Twitter: @CTCast

Many thanks for listening & Happy New Year!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
"3030" by Deltron 3030
* from "Deltron 3030"

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"End of Line" by Daft Punk
* from the "Tron: Legacy" Motion Picture Score

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Rinzler" by Daft Punk

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Separate Ways" by Journey
* from the "Tron: Legacy" Motion Picture Soundtrack

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
* "Activation" from the "Iron Man" Original Anime Score

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
* "The Fight Never Ends" from the "Iron Man" Original Anime Score

- Champ Sports Commercial BGM
"The Next Spot" by The Herbaliser
* from the album "Same As It Never Was"

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
* "Track 8" from the "Mobile Suit Gundam: Symphonic Suite"

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"Legend of Zero" by Kô Ôtani
* from the "New Mobile Report Gundam Wing" Original Anime Score

- Outro BGM, First Selection
"The Game Has Changed" by Daft Punk

- Outro BGM, Second Selection
"C.L.U." by Daft Punk

- Outro Drop
* Ep. 26 - "The Show Must Go On" Excerpt from "The Big O" (Anime Series)

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Derezzed" by Daft Punk

- Stinger Drop
* "Not You" by DoctorDoctorMD (YouTube Channel)

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
gundamtype0

Re: Ep. 069 - Stark Raving Madhouse!

Another great podcast Gundamn gang. It was interesting that you mentioned comic book characters that defined superheroes that wouldn't normally be brought back to life like Uncle Ben. One that came to mind during the segment was the Ancient One from the Doctor Strange series. He mentored Doctor Strange and gave him the title of sorcerer supreme after his demise but Marvel brought him back as villain. It was a little weird that they'd bring this character back.

As for super weapons, I remembered a few from Gundam like Libra from Gundam Wing, the cannon that breaks after its fired; the Statue of Liberty Cannon from Neo America in G Gundam and Angel Halo from V Gundam. It can also be argued that the satellite cannon loaded on the Gundam X is a super weapon too since it depends on the moon being out and the relay station not being on the other side of the moon to charge the weapon.

The weather machine super weapon is still the funniest one of all no matter what media its presented on.
Vent Noir

I think that you had the nostalgia goggles on yourself when you said that only the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was good. Sure, the series had its low points (Turbo, Operation Overdrive), but it also had high points (In Space, Time Force).

While I'm on the subject, I may as well plug Linkara's History of Power Rangers video reviews.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

gundamtype0 wrote:As for super weapons, I remembered a few from Gundam like Libra from Gundam Wing, the cannon that breaks after its fired;
I wouldn't count Libra's cannon breaking down as stupid because it wasn't a result of bad design, it was deliberate sabotage put into the design by the Gundam engineers.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
jabman025

Great show guys as always

First off thank you for using the Straight Talk Express to shed some light on the controversy surrounding Tron Legacy. I am a big fan of the original Tron and I really enjoyed Legacy, but I hate when people complain about the Legacy lack of “depth” or as you put it “heart and soul”. The original Tron was fun, entertaining, and for its time technically amazing, but it was far from “deep”. Tron Legacy was the exact same thing. Expecting a Tron movie to be full of a deeper meaning is like expecting a deeper meaning in an episode of K-ON. Its movie that is meant to be enjoyed….not analyzed.

Now on to the topic of Super weapons, and to start us off yes Requiem was a pretty stupid super weapon…..that followed in a long line of stupid Gundam super weapons. The biggest problem with a super weapon is that it always has one major league flaw; most of the time that flaw is that you can only use it once. Once more you can’t test it before hand because as a super weapon you can fire it without a lot of people taking notice. Soul Bro mention the Psycho Gundam as a super weapon but I don’t think it qualifies; it is more a weapon of intimidation. Its Seed Destiny counterpart the Destroy Gundam is a super weapon but like other is could only be used once. Once the world saw how Shin (really Kira) had taken it down the rest of the world had a blueprint on how to do it. Truth be told I always thought that the Solar System Solar Ray was the dumbest super weapon I have seen so far. A weapon with thousands of moving parts, that takes tons of calculations and planning before even setting up the thing. It requires hours of pin point accurate positioning of the mirrors which can take forever to set up. Then you have to get whatever the hell you’re firing at into position and then you fire. Oh and it only fires once.

P.S. Up yours Dennis (was it Dennis or the Troll who told me to suck it?........oh whatever) :lol:
Last edited by jabman025 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
gundamtype0

Chris wrote:
gundamtype0 wrote:As for super weapons, I remembered a few from Gundam like Libra from Gundam Wing, the cannon that breaks after its fired;
I wouldn't count Libra's cannon breaking down as stupid because it wasn't a result of bad design, it was deliberate sabotage put into the design by the Gundam engineers.
Agreed, but I still don't understand the point of Libra. Romefeller called a new symbol to unite Earth. It's just a big laser of doom that's hovering around the earth sphere and if someone went of line, you get fired upon. Great.
Mu La Flaga

So where to begin.

SRW Z2 the line up is huge, Neo got some of the new and old series muddled up along with names, maybe next episode Neo should do a Gundamn apology to that.

Power Rangers to me I kind of agree what Neo said, Zeo and Turbo were low points.
But In Space practically revived Power Rangers and it had some awesome Megazords.

Also on Transformers G1, there were some horrid episods, there were some great episodes.
But I am not going to say it can outdo Beast Wars or animated.
That is all I'm saying on that for now.

On the heart and soul thing or generic comment critics seem to use nowadays.
Yeah I agree to an extent it seems to be their generic defense.
The Watchmen review also has some contradictions if you watch the youtube video, the other 2nd black guy on that apart from Korey.

So it's one of those things he said he enjoyed the movie but by contradiction he gave the movie a mattinee rating.

On super weapons.

Requiem: It almost worked if Yzak and Dearka hadn't blown up one of the relay stations it caused the shot to miss the PLANT colony Durrandal was on, so their miss was a stroke of bad luck.

I thought it was an interesting for a surprise attack as Chris said, but after that they know where to find you :P

Nibhellung: It was a good idea of being more like a turret then a stationary target and it did wipe out the inbound forces and I think a few of the orbital ships.

Apsaullus: It was somewhat silly it was just made to blow a hole open in Jaburo but it had some huge glaring flaws in it's defenses, as the fuel tanks Neo noted.

Adzam: That was one of those oddbal ones, it kind of worked against the RX-78, but didn't last.

Psyco Gundam: It was a good idea, transformable had beam shielding, but it was designed to scare more then wreck things, because Four could never deal with Gundam Mark 2, let alone the Zeta Gundam later.

The Psyco Gundam Mark 2: it was an improvement but it suffers the problem with the pilot again more so.

The Destroy Gundam: Yeah they had a hell load of arnaments, but they did use it rather silly way, why not go out in assualts on ZAFT bases.
Or in space, also it's got Beam Shields and everything on top of it's armor.

Again the problems lie simillarly in the pilots.

Also you guys missed like Big Zam I noticed, that one was rather effective though unlike Zeon's other ideas.

On other super weapons.
Goldeneye is one of my favs for Super Weapons and the characters, simple idea, nothing too complicated just an EMP kill satellite.

Star Wars I agree on the Death Star, but I'm surprised you skipped over Super Star Destroyer the Executor.
Although to it's credit, facing a huge fleet and a Death Star didn't seem like a good idea.

Dr Wily is one of the masters of super weapons as well as robot masters.
He probably gets his funding for supplying weapons to various criminals and all sorts of things.

Dr Wily was a little short sighted and he also made Zero don't forget him along with Protoman and Bass. :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Koshernova

Hey guys! Great show as always, enjoyed it tons.

Just quickly: You guys got the Return of the Jedi Death Star all wrong! They shoot capital ships with it, they destroy a whole Mon Calamari cruiser with it in fact (Lando: "That blast came from the Death Star! It's operational!"). The whole difference about Death Star 2 is that it's precise enough to aim at starships. Also, re: superweapons never having the ability to protect themselves, the Death Star has the starfighter capability of a couple of fleets of Star Destroyers, IIRC. The stupid aspects of the Death Star are more a) its unyieldy size and b) the expose weak points (hit for massive damage).
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Mu La Flaga

Kosh has a good point, the Death Stars could defend themselves against starfighters with the TIE Fighters it had aboard, but TIE Fighter pilots don't seem to do well.
And sometimes also starfighters would get picked off by a Turbolaser Cannon.

Y-Wings more vunerable to this, X-Wings could manage better due to their speed and all.
I forget in Return of the Jedi it was an A-Wing which took out the Super Star Destroyer Executor.
Chris
Administrator

And yet for all the Death Star II's defenses, it still got taken out in one hit by a tiny ship. So all that improved weaponry counted for exactly nothing in the end.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kosh wrote:Just quickly: You guys got the Return of the Jedi Death Star all wrong! They shoot capital ships with it, they destroy a whole Mon Calamari cruiser with it in fact (Lando: "That blast came from the Death Star! It's operational!").

One ship is not very good results for the resources put into the Death Star. This is why the Empire Strikes Back is the only movie that matters, no Death Star or superweapon of any kind.

And is that crusier called Mon Calamari, as in "I'll start with the calamari", what the hell?!
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
mobiusdiablo

Oh yes, a new episode! Been looking forward to this for quite a while. I'm surprised that the Iron Man anime was that bad, but then again, I kinda dropped it after the second episode due to beginning SRWOG: The Inspector. Sorry you guys had to sit through that, but at least it's not Anime Toilet quality.

As far as ridiculous super weapons go, I think we're also forgetting the Alvatore (and by proxy) the Alvaaron, piloted by none other than the dandy himself, one Mr. Corner. As far as I can recall, the damn thing really didn't do anything at all! A random GN-X took out the Ptolemaios and it was Graham that inflicted so much damage on the Exia. Let's not even go into how god-awful tacky the design and color is...
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Vent Noir

Mangaged to listen to the entire show now.

For ridiculously impractical superweapons, since Power Rangers got brought up earlier in the episode, how about Serpentera, Lord Zedd's massive zord of destruction that apparently ran on two AAA batteries given how long it could operate before the power ran out. And then ended up jobbing to a motorbike in Forever Red?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:And yet for all the Death Star II's defenses, it still got taken out in one hit by a tiny ship. So all that improved weaponry counted for exactly nothing in the end.
Death Star 2 actually eleminated the exhaust port fault.
The 2nd one was ONLY destroyed because it was still under constuction and thus had easy access to it's reactor core.

Where as the 1st if you shot the exhaust port hole it just caused a massive chain reaction down to the core.

And Neo dude as I said.
You DON'T count the Executor as a super weapon?
It's bigger then normal Star Destroyers.
Chris
Administrator

That doesn't change anything at all. What's the point of having a super planet destroying weapon if its reactor isn't kept under guard? It's still the exact same weakness, just in a different way. There's no point building such a stupidly huge thing if you can't defend its most critical part.
Mu La Flaga

If it was complete it would be completely different so I say to you someone who knows the Emperor's logic.
Universal conquest would have been possible if it were finished on schedule :P

Besides it had a fleet of Star Destroyers, the shield would have also kept anything away from it.
But as you said the idea of building the shield generatort on Endor was pretty stupid.
I mean it tethers it to Endor, otherwise if it leaves, it haa no defensive shield.

But yeah, I don't know why they never put any defensive turrets inside there.
The Empire sure knows how to blow their money at times.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu

UPDATE!

Thanks to a slip of the brain, I forgot to add the websites and links in the closing segment of this episode. It's fixed in this updated version (which has also been linked above in the Episode Information in place of the original MP3).

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 069 - "Stark Raving Madhouse!" (Version 2.0)
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 136 min., 41 sec. (2:16:41) - 62.6 MB

For those completionists out there that are collecting every episode, you might be interested but if you've already listened to episode 69, there's not much your missing. Aw hell, grab it anyway, you'll make our ratings blow up for the month with all the extra downloads.

I know how to start the year in fine fashion! Thanks for not blowing up my spot for it, gang. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Koshernova

hawk of endymion wrote:And is that crusier called Mon Calamari, as in "I'll start with the calamari", what the hell?!
Yeah, cos it belongs to admiral Ackbar's race, the Mon Calamari. You know, these guys:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/specie ... /eu_bg.jpg

Anyway agreed, despite the fact that the Death Star did have a good amount of defenses (turrets, starfighters), it's pretty stupid that the core was so exposed. Especially in the second one, I mean, who builds a power reactor and leaves it exposed like that? With plenty of room inside to manouvre a ship??

Also yeah, the Executor (Darth Vader's flagship) also kinda counts as a superweapon. After all, it's kinda the Dolos of the Star Wars trilogy: unwieldy and massive.
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
Mu La Flaga

In all fariness the Death Star 2 was much bigger then the original so of course it's going to take a VERY long time to cover all the holes in it, as evidence by 1/4 of it not being finished/framework. :P

At least the Executor has mulitpile bridges on it, but that A-Wing crashing in to it caused critical damage somehow.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Kosh wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:And is that crusier called Mon Calamari, as in "I'll start with the calamari", what the hell?!
Yeah, cos it belongs to admiral Ackbar's race, the Mon Calamari. You know, these guys:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/specie ... /eu_bg.jpg
I know Admiral Ackbar, he almost became the mascot at Ole Miss. Didn't know the race of him though, not a huge Star Wars fan, big Empire Strikes Back fan though.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke