Ep. 078 - Fire and Gundamnation!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 078 - Fire and Gundamnation!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 078 - "Fire and Gundamnation!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 130 min., 41 sec. (2:10:41) - 59.8 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:43:45 (Duration: 0:43:02)

03. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:43:45 - 0:44:51 (Duration: 0:01:06)

04. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:44:51 - 0:45:29 (Duration: 0:00:38)

05. 1st Segment: "Manga Spotlight - 'Gundam Sousei'" (featured in Gundam Ace)
Runtime: 0:45:29 - 1:13:45 (Duration: 0:28:16)

06. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:13:45 - 1:14:30 (Duration: 0:00:45)

07. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:14:30 - 1:15:39 (Duration: 0:01:09)

08. 2nd Segment: "At World's End! - Our Favorite Apocalypses in Sci-Fi Anime!" (Discussion)
Runtime: 1:15:39 - 1:56:37 (Duration: 0:40:58)

09. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:56:37 - 1:57:06 (Duration: 0:00:29)

10. "Dudes' Flight Out!" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 1:57:06 - 2:00:17 (Duration: 0:03:11)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:00:17 - 2:10:41 (Duration: 0:10:24)

With the End of the World minutes away, we discuss memorable Earth-shattering moments in some of the Animes we've enjoyed over the decades. Before that, we knock the dust off of our neglected Manga Spotlight & wax about the behind-the-scenes parody of our favorite franchise in "Gundam Sousei"!

We also dedicate this episode to the one and only Randy "Macho Man" Savage, one of our favorite stars in Sports Entertainment who passed away a day before we recorded this episode.

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for the latest episode & more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)
- Chaos Theater Ep. 005 - "Chrono Trigger" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)
- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32
- Chaos Theater, Ep. 005 - "Chrono Trigger" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14037
- Feedback Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @CTCast

Finally, Shinjuku Station has just started a podcast, reviewing the latest movies in the theaters, films we missed that are now on home video, and classic movies that have left their mark. The assortment of reviewers will vary from review to review, with participants from "Gundamn! @ MAHQ", "Level Nine", "Flip the Script!" and other podcasts!

Shinjuku Station At the Movies
Review 001: Battle: Los Angeles
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 55 min., 25 sec. (0:55:25) - 50.7 MB - NSFW!
Review 002: Sucker Punch
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 62 min., 45 sec. (1:02:45) - 57.4 MB - NSFW!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drops
* "The Brightslap!™" from "Mobile Suit Gundam" (Anime Series, English Dub)
* "Best of Macho Man Randy Savage part 1" from WWE Entertainment
* "Slim Jim Pizza Box Commercial" (1996) from Slim Jim

- Cold Open Music
* "Pomp And Circumstance March No. I" by Sir Edward Elgar

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"The Final Countdown" by Europe
* from the album "The Final Countdown"

- Macho Man Drops
* "Dial M For Monkey: Rasslor" from "Dexter's Laboratory"
* "Three Minutes of Playtime!" from "Spider-man" (Film)

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
* "Pomp And Circumstance March No. I" by Sir Edward Elgar

- Champs Sports Commercial BGM
"Every Breath You Take/Theme From Peter Gunn (Mr. Ruggerio's Remix)" by The Police & Henry Mancini
* from "The Sopranos - Peppers And Eggs: Music From The HBO Series" OST

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Tobe! Gundam (Fly! Gundam)" by Koh Ikeda
* OP from the "Mobile Suit Gundam" OST

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Char ga Kuru (Char is Coming)" by Kouichiro Hori
* from the "Mobile Suit Gundam" OST

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM
"Its the End of the World as We Know It" by REM
* from the album "Document"

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"In Search of Lost Legends" by Joe Hisaishi
* OP from the "Genesis Climber Mospeada" OST

- Outro BGM
"Strange Games And Things" by The Love Unlimited Orchestra
* from the album "Strange Games And Funky Things III"

- Don Newkirk Drops
* "The Gas Face" by 3rd Bass
* "D.A.I.S.Y. Age" (skit following song) by De La Soul

- Outro Drop
* "Erupting Burning Finger!" from "Mobile Fighter God Gundam" (Anime TV Series, English Dubbed)

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Mic Control" by Soul Position
* from the "Unlimited EP"

- Stinger Drop
* "Mono-e-mono with the Grey Ghost!" from "Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast" (Animated TV Series)

(Props to Bushido for reminding me to update these.)

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Dollow

Re: Ep. 078 - Fire and Gundamnation!

I have this and a listening right now.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Vent Noir

Listened to the news/mailbag segment. I'm on the PSN, but haven't had any money stolen (that I'm aware of). Nevertheless, taking the advice of buying cards from now on seems like a good idea.

One of my friends who's more of a tech-head than I am launched into a long rant about how badly-designed the PSN's security was, and was annoyed that a company as large as Sony would be that incompetent with their security. I didn't understand all the details, but the gist of it was that the PSN is fundamentally broken beyond repair (there's nothing that can be done to stop people from hacking it the same way again), and the only thing to do is release a successor console with a whole new network.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
kayone73

Wow, I never knew this manga existed but withing minutes of hearing it on the podcast I found scans online within minutes and already done reading it. That story had me rolling in laughter and really reminded me of Otaku no Video. All of the characterizations, especially frontman Tomino were priceless. Goddamn it would be awesome to see this animated as an OVA series. Great segment choice and happy memorial weekend guys!
jabman025

probably should have posted this earlier, but for those of you who have not seen it, I present to you the 1/25 scale Straight Talk Express, yeah I went there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CA_wiPaF0I
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

I could almost cry. But it needs a trailer full of my chilled hams and Neo's red-only M&Ms!
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Soul Bro Ryu

jabman025 wrote:probably should have posted this earlier, but for those of you who have not seen it, I present to you the 1/25 scale Straight Talk Express, yeah I went there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CA_wiPaF0I
That is a thing of beauty, Jeff. Then you had to go and blind me with that Destiny shirt. You sly boots. -_-
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Copyrighted Name

I only very recently read Gundam Sousei, but really enjoyed the discussion on it. Itano really was quite the rebel in real life, drawing flying limbs and changing animation behind people's back. He also rethought the way action scenes were depicted during Gundam, as Chris sort of mentioned with him doing a lot of the "fancier battle scenes". For those curious, his work in the original Gundam can be found in episodes 29, 34, 35, 38, 41, and 43 (Japanese numbering).
Arbiter GUNDAM

Episode 78 already? Geez you guys are getting fast! :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
yazi88

Wasn't there a guy in Gundam Sousei wearing a cowboy hat? I think that was Hajime Yatate who was never a real person but rather a pseudonym for the Sunrise animation staff in general.

I was sure you guys would've mentioned the sheer antics of Tomino's sexual harassment exploitations against that female assistant of his. It was too good to pass up. But then again you guys hit every other detail.

Also, wasn't there a guy promoting the bandai gundam toys/kits that looked like Gihren? Its been a while since I read the Sousei manga.
Dollow

Fun ep guys, it really was a pick me up when I needed it, I was feeling down and now I feel that my spirits are up sky high.

For Apocalypses, I think .Hack had a very modern one as it had a Cyber-Apocalypse, where the internet just shut down, and every computer O.S. was wiped out, and from December 25, 2005 to December 24, 2007 in that world no one was allow to be on the internet, and as a result everyone had to change to the new world of cyberspace and most of the software technology of yesterday was gone. And with Cyber crime on the up swing these days, I think it works. Get really for Pluto's Kiss because it is coming no matter what.

For those who was also hit by the PSN Hack, check this out,

PSN Identity Theft Protection Program Kicks Off
Sony's complimentary one year identity theft protection program kicks off today. The offer is available to all PlayStation Network and Qriocity users in America. Enrolment for the program can be done through here.

SCEA and SNE have both worked out a program for customers with Debix to offer AllClear ID PLUS for those interested in enrolling. The service covers identity theft insurance and "hands-on help from expert fraud investigators."

The service is free for twelve months and only those with active accounts in the United States prior to April 20 are eligible.
Overall great show, funny and makes me happy.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Mu La Flaga

MBF-06/ZGMF-X12A Arbiter wrote:Episode 78 already? Geez you guys are getting fast! :)
I was going to say your like 7 days early and only 11 days after episode 77.
Vent Noir

Listening to the Gundam Sousei segment now. You mentioned ultraviolence in anime - if there's an individual responsible for that, it would probably be Go Nagai (Devilman, among other things).

EDIT: You mentioned the possibility of a Star Wars version of Gundam Sousei. I've heard of (but not actually seen) a fan film called George Lucas in Love which is the same general concept (via a parody of Shakespeare in Love), so you might want to try and hunt that down.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Vent Noir wrote:Listened to the news/mailbag segment. I'm on the PSN, but haven't had any money stolen (that I'm aware of). Nevertheless, taking the advice of buying cards from now on seems like a good idea.

One of my friends who's more of a tech-head than I am launched into a long rant about how badly-designed the PSN's security was, and was annoyed that a company as large as Sony would be that incompetent with their security. I didn't understand all the details, but the gist of it was that the PSN is fundamentally broken beyond repair (there's nothing that can be done to stop people from hacking it the same way again), and the only thing to do is release a successor console with a whole new network.

My whole point of bringing up my situation was just awareness. I had always used cards in the past to avoid this happening but I got lazy. I can't say that my card being nicked is due to PSN, but it is the card I used.
I also wanted to bring to people's attention that there's always a risk of using credit cards online, no matter service you use(I've been hit using Amazon, a few years back). Since PSN is a FREE service I can't be too mad that it hacked, imagine the number of attacks they deal with on a daily basis.
And yes, I would be more irate if XBL got hacked, because I expect a higher level of security on a service that I PAY for(especially with the recent price increase). And believe me when this happens, I don't think XBL customers will be as civil as the PSN customers were.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Vent Noir

Listened to the Apocalypses segment now. One memorable one for me what didn't get mentioned was Stellvia. I really liked how humanity managed to rise from the ashes after civilization got devastated by a supernova, and not only rebuild but make it better than before.

Other ones... a recent one was Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
Spoiler
Timeline 4: Madoka turns into a witch that will destroy the Earth, and Kyuubei's response is "Well, we've filled our quota for this planet. See ya!"
And also, partly because it was so unexpected, Heartcatch Pretty Cure. The bad guys had talked about their plan to turn the world into a desert, but I never expected them to actually succeed!. It's one thing for an apocalypse to happen in a darker show aimed at older otaku like the aforementioned PMMM, but in a traditional magical girl show aimed at young girls? That probably shocked me more (even though it got fixed in the end).
hawk of endymion wrote: My whole point of bringing up my situation was just awareness. I had always used cards in the past to avoid this happening but I got lazy. I can't say that my card being nicked is due to PSN, but it is the card I used.
I also wanted to bring to people's attention that there's always a risk of using credit cards online, no matter service you use(I've been hit using Amazon, a few years back). Since PSN is a FREE service I can't be too mad that it hacked, imagine the number of attacks they deal with on a daily basis.
And yes, I would be more irate if XBL got hacked, because I expect a higher level of security on a service that I PAY for(especially with the recent price increase). And believe me when this happens, I don't think XBL customers will be as civil as the PSN customers were.
Depends on your definition of "free". I always regarded the cost of my PS3 as including paying for use of the PSN. Granted, I'm not a big gamer (and have never used the PSN for online play, just DLC), but a hypothetical seperate fee for accessing the PSN sounds to me like "being charged to spend money", which I object to.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

snoops619

Great show as always guys.

Thanks for the tips Neo. I've never used those cards but in light of what happened, I think it would be wise
on my behalf to be purchasing them.
I can't believe you didn't mention the greatest anime of all time ever, Neon Genesis Evangelion. That was set in a post-apocalyptic world, was it not? I jest.

Keep up the great work.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
jabman025

hey guys great show

wanted to mention another option for those worrying about the PS3 hack, if you do want to use a credit card, get one with a very low limit. That way you are not risking too much and you can buy things when you want them.

I really enjoyed the conversation about the apocolypse in media. Trigun has always been one of my favorites as you know something horrible has happened to the earth they were on but you had no idea what. Only as the series goes on do you realized what is really happening.

Oh and one more thing, Neo if you really were the "King" of America I have little doubt that you would send us all to an apocolyptic end within 24 hours
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Vent Noir wrote:Depends on your definition of "free". I always regarded the cost of my PS3 as including paying for use of the PSN. Granted, I'm not a big gamer (and have never used the PSN for online play, just DLC), but a hypothetical seperate fee for accessing the PSN sounds to me like "being charged to spend money", which I object to.
Well, definition of free would be no additional cost after the initial purchase. Remember you only get one month free of Gold when you purchase an Xbox, after that it's $60 a year, every year, till they raise the price again.
jabman025 wrote:hey guys great show
Oh and one more thing, Neo if you really were the "King" of America I have little doubt that you would send us all to an apocolyptic end within 24 hours
Well, you would never know. Because you'll be "taken care of" in the first wave.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
yazi88

Shin Getter Robo Armageddon is also a very good example of a post apocalyptic series hence the Armageddon in the title. Everything in that show is set in a post nuclear devastated wasteland left by Getter Rays. Its also quite dark but not as dark as New Getter Robo.
kayone73

In the Gundam Sousei segment Chris mentions a character in the manga who looks like Shoji Kawamori, I'm assuming that's the panel in chapter 13 referring to future anime filmmaking greats. I'm guessing the short, grinning guy with glasses in that panel is supposed to be Miyazaki?