Ep. 076 - The Gospel of Anime Moses

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 076 - The Gospel of Anime Moses

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 076 - "The Gospel of Anime Moses"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 120 min., 14 sec. (2:00:14) - 55 MB - NSFW!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 1:13:07 (Duration: 1:12:24)

03. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:13:07 - 1:14:09 (Duration: 0:01:02)

04. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:14:09 - 1:15:18 (Duration: 0:01:09)

05. Main Segment: Roundtable Discussion: "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Episode 3" (OVA)
Runtime: 1:15:18 - 1:50:30 (Duration: 0:35:12)

06. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 1:50:30 - 1:51:30 (Duration: 0:01:00)

10. "Interlude to Battle" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 1:51:30 - 1:53:33 (Duration: 0:02:03)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:53:33 - 2:00:14 (Duration: 0:06:41)

Join us for an extended mailbag & our discussion of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 3!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Recently, Chris made appearances on several podcasts - one being the long-awaited preview of MAHQ's newest podcast, Laplace's Box & the other was a Mecha-related episode of Tomopop's own podcast, Tomocast!

- Laplace's Box - Episode 000: Introduction - @LaplaceShow
- Tomocast - Ep. 23: Mecha and Robots - @Tomopop

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for the latest episode & more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)
- Chaos Theater Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)
- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32
- Chaos Theater, Ep. 003 - "The Wheel of Time" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13805
- Feedback Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @CTCast

Finally, Shinjuku Station has just started a podcast, reviewing the latest movies in the theaters, films we missed that are now on home video, and classic movies that have left their mark. The assortment of reviewers will vary from review to review, with participants from "Gundamn! @ MAHQ", "Level Nine", "Flip the Script!" and other podcasts!

Shinjuku Station At the Movies
Review 001: Battle: Los Angeles
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 55 min., 25 sec. (0:55:25) - 50.7 MB - NSFW!
Review 002: Sucker Punch
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 62 min., 45 sec. (1:02:45) - 57.4 MB - NSFW!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
* "Ron Swanson: The World's Greatest Public Speaker" from the episode "Jerry's Painting" from "Parks and Recreation" (TV Sitcom)

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Silent Voice" by Jun Hiroe
* Second OP from "Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ"

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Generic Rock-Disco Theme" by Johnny Douglas & Robert J. Walsh
* from the "Transformers: Generation One" OST

- Champs Sports Commercial BGM
"Emergency" by Johnny Douglas & Robert J. Walsh
* from the "Transformers: Generation One" OST

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"UNICORN" by Hiroyuki Sawano
* from the "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" OST

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Merry-go-round" by CHEMISTRY
* Third ED from the "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn" OST

- Outro BGM, Track One
"Retro Tv Series Remix Vol.1(TWE SHELLSHOCKR Entry) Know Your Craft" ("Bewitched" remix) by TWE SHELLSHOCKR (YouTube Channel)
* from the "Retro Tv Series Remix Vol.1" project

- Outro BGM, Track Two
"Retro Tv Theme Remix Series Vol.1 (Ruler Inc. Entry) - Days of Our Lives" by ShinLvlGod (YouTube Channel)
* from the "Retro Tv Series Remix Vol.1" project

- Outro Drop
* "Nina's Objection, Ko's Rejection" from "Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory" (Anime OVA series)

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Park Avenue Beat (The Theme from Perry Mason)" by Bob Crane and His Drums & Orchestra
* from the compilation album "This Is the Return of Cult Fiction"

- Stinger Drop
* "Picard's Flute" from "Family Guy" (Animated Sitcom)

(Props to Bushido for reminding me to update these.)

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 076 - The Gospel of Anime Moses

Ok pretty fun episode and the mailbag was loaded with awesome and funny chatter all in all.
Neo and Soul Bro thanks for answering that question of mine.

I understand why nowadays it would be harder to do compared to the old days when things might not have been so busy.

So for now Shinjuku station at the movies will have to do.
But damn, never knew your older mixer died and all.

Chris nah I don't intend it to be regular at all, hell if anything you have more straight talk express crowd hit and runs on those ones complaining about Stardriver.

I just want to say I try to support releases where ever I can find them if I want to watch something.

I buy from Madman or if I can't get hold of some shows I buy off Amazon.com and import things.

I only rarely if ever torrent things if it's not possible to obtain through the other 2 methods.
Just letting my stance on that be known.

Don't have anything else to add for comments, even though listened to the whole Unicorn episode 3 discussion.
christianwalker

I want a sex robot. Just sayin.
"You might as well called his hotel room Elm Street, cuz I was bringing those nightmares every night." -Soul Bro Ryu
VentZX

I have to say, that honestly dubs are a pretty big incentive (for me at least) to buy anime when I've already seen the sub. Anime dubs these days are usually rather good, and it's rare to hear any of the ear bleedingly bad dubs of yesteryear. Hell, when it comes to something like Gundam Unicorn, I barely give the sub a second look, since the dub is fantastic, and I'd rather watch something that's so beautifully animated without subtitles.

Chris makes a good argument that watching something as it was originally intended to be watched is preferable. But I also posit that when the animators are making these shows, they are not doing so thinking that people will be reading lines of text at the bottom of the screen at the same time. In that sense, I feel that dubbing it in the language of a viewer is getting closer to how something is "intended to be watched."

All that aside, I also agree with you guys. Using a lack of an English dub as an excuse not to buy a western release is just scapegoating, and the people that use this argument are more than likely not to purchase a western release anyway. I personally haven't let something like that stop me before. I own both box sets for GaoGaiGar, and that's despite the second set not being dubbed. I also have the initial dubless release of Gurren Lagann, but I plan on going back and buying the Anime Legends set at some point that has the dub on it.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I'd personally rather have a dub on the disc than not, but I won't have that be an excuse not to buy something.

On to Unicorn episode 3, what more can be said, it was great. The stock footage is such a non-issue. We get two fantastically newly animated battle scenes (Palau and the Atmosphere fight) and a mostly new fight involving the Kshatriya, and people focus on a few seconds of re-used footage? Priorities. How do they work?
Mu La Flaga

You know I forgot to add this note earlier, it might be a marketing tool or make a series look more appealing with a dub, but in the instace of Madman, they tend to not always get series subtitled, they usually pick titles out if they have a dub and all.

So just a small thing to add there.
raijinz

The in-joke about sex robots has clearly stuck a chord with the masses!

I think I'll submit it as a topic about sex-dolls, dating sims, and the general increase of humans finding solace in inanimate objects and technology over real people (a la Chobits).
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
kayone73

VentZX wrote:
Chris makes a good argument that watching something as it was originally intended to be watched is preferable. But I also posit that when the animators are making these shows, they are not doing so thinking that people will be reading lines of text at the bottom of the screen at the same time. In that sense, I feel that dubbing it in the language of a viewer is getting closer to how something is "intended to be watched."
You do make a good point there, nothing is animated taking into full account people with be reading text at the bottom of the screen, but I think the preference to dubs vs subs is mostly a generational/ethnic background thing.

I know most hardcore anime fans starting in the 70s, 80s and early 90s strongly prefer subs over usually inferior dubs while the more current generation of anime fans prefer dubs because yes the quality has gone up, but also because far more anime is avail and introduced first in dubbed form on TV.

I'll admit I started watching fullmetal alchemist in english on tv first and actually prefer some of the english voices after hearing some of the japanese voice cast, but at the same time, if it's available in the original language, I have to watch it that way because the show and dialogue was created first & foremost in that language for that audience. Plus I like watching other european and asian (korean, HK, taiwanese, japanese) films and tv shows in their original languages and no way could I tolerate listening to those dubbed in english, I feel the same about anime as its a 'foreign' production
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

To dub or not to dub, that is the question.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Chris
Administrator

VentZX wrote:Chris makes a good argument that watching something as it was originally intended to be watched is preferable. But I also posit that when the animators are making these shows, they are not doing so thinking that people will be reading lines of text at the bottom of the screen at the same time. In that sense, I feel that dubbing it in the language of a viewer is getting closer to how something is "intended to be watched."
An interesting argument, but I don't agree. Anime is not some kind of special category here. Foreign films have been subtitled for decades and will continue to be in the future. It's a slight accommodation to overcome the language barrier, as opposed to changing the language altogether.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
yazi88

hawk of endymion wrote:To dub or not to dub, that is the question.
If it involved Dennis's english VA from Macross II then I'm all for it. :lol:
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:To dub or not to dub, that is the question.
If it involved Dennis's english VA from Macross II then I'm all for it. :lol:
Hell yeah, especially after he's enjoyed a three day weekend.

America!
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
yazi88

Dammit, I can't find the name of Dennis's english VA.

...CULTURE!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Well, another great episode for the legends! Thanks for answering my question guys, I could tell you were having a lot of fun with it(and with the rest of the news and the other questions). I wasn't expecting Chris to throw in a third Valkyrie, but that was still awesome. Just so I have everything you said straight:

Neo: VF-22 Sturmvogel II, VF-27 Lucifer and VF-0S Phoenix
Soul Bro: VF-1J Valkyrie, YF-19, VF-1S Valkyrie
Chris: VF-11 Thunderbolt, VF-1S Strike Valkyrie, VF-17 Nightmare

Well, since I asked the question, I'll tell you mine even though the only Macross series' I've seen so far have been SDFMacross and Frontier.

VF-1J Valkyrie: This plane just screams "this is the X-Wing of Macross" to me.
VF-4 Lightning III: I just like the way it looks. :)
VF-25F Super Messiah: Again, I just like the way it looks and I really wanted it to tear the Lucifer apart.

So there you go. I actually have a picture of what my VF-1J would look like, colored by Dark Duel.

I liked the crack about Star Trek fans arguing over which Enterprise. :D Besides, I'm pretty sure that the RX-78-2 could tear apart a whole battalion of AT-ATs.

Speaking of the casting problems in Hollywood, I just went to see Thor today and I noticed something funny. Now, I don't know anything about Avatar but it's supposed to be based on Asian or Indian backgrounds right? And they put a bunch of white Disney kids in it. Well I go watch Thor, based on a comic which is based on NORSE mythology, and all of a sudden there's multiculturalism in Asgard. I don't think Hollywood knows what to do with itself.
I know Soul Bro has seen the Mr. Plinkett reviews and I think on his Star Trek 2009 review he said that 96% of movies released in the last few years have been sequels, reboots, remakes, re-imaginings or just plain ripoffs. I could believe that.

Lastly, I thought that Unicorn episode 3 was awesome. Complaining about 3 seconds of stock footage? Oy, what is the internet doing to our culture? Nevermind about that, it was an hour of awesomeness. 'Nuff said.

Oh and the Turn A Gundam will explode out of a Mayan pyramid at 12:01 AM, January 1, 2012 and cross universes and use that thing that the Ideon used to slice Earth up into 50 wedges.

I'm out.

P.S. Speaking of culture, I think the next character that should freeload off Chris should be Captain Falcon. Why? Why not.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
VentZX

Chris wrote:An interesting argument, but I don't agree. Anime is not some kind of special category here. Foreign films have been subtitled for decades and will continue to be in the future. It's a slight accommodation to overcome the language barrier, as opposed to changing the language altogether.
I'm going to have to agree with you on foreign films. I don't think that live action films should be dubbed for the fact that it's impossible to match a language to the mouth movements of a different language. It feels unnatural when you're seeing someone speak a language they clearly aren't supposed to be speaking. However, i feel it works better for animation (and this extends to all kinds of animation, not just anime, and also video games) because you lack the problems associated with live action.
jabman025

Great show guys

I loved the which valkeryie would be your valkeryie bit, a true mech nerd conversation if I ever heard one.

I really liked the third episode of Unicorn, great story and great battles. For some reason though I felt it was lacking the surprise of the first two. Now this was probably due to the spoilers that can not be avoided on the internet. Still I really enjoyed the Unicorn vs. Kyshatryia fight and like you guys I saw some parallels between the Zero and NTD systems. Oh and thank you for finnaly coming over to my side. Using stock footage is not the end of the world. Every show does it, some shows hide it better than others. Even the Alpha and the Omega Disney has used Stock footage, and they will again. Hell if you think about it, CG movies like Toy Story use it in almost every scene.

Straight Talk coming soon :wink:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

jabman025 wrote:Oh and thank you for finnaly coming over to my side. Using stock footage is not the end of the world. Every show does it, some shows hide it better than others. Even the Alpha and the Omega Disney has used Stock footage, and they will again. Hell if you think about it, CG movies like Toy Story use it in almost every scene.
We didn't "come over" to your side because that's always been what we've believed. We're still going to bash ridiculously obsessive uses of stock footage, which means DESTINY. Sorry to disappoint. :twisted:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
frezik

Interesting that Soul Bro had the same problem with MSG on DVD that I did (vol 5, right?). I had ordered it through Amazon and got it backordered for so long that I eventually just canceled. Best Buy didn't have it for the longest time, too. I bought the whole rest of the set, but didn't watch it past vol 4 until I finally tracked down a copy of vol 5.

I skipped ahead to Zeta and CCA. I found that CCA is a lot better when you understand the context between Char, Amuro, and Lah Lah that's set at the end of MSG.

Anybody know why there seemed to be a big supply problem on this one particular volume?
jabman025

Chris wrote:
jabman025 wrote:Oh and thank you for finnaly coming over to my side. Using stock footage is not the end of the world. Every show does it, some shows hide it better than others. Even the Alpha and the Omega Disney has used Stock footage, and they will again. Hell if you think about it, CG movies like Toy Story use it in almost every scene.
We didn't "come over" to your side because that's always been what we've believed. We're still going to bash ridiculously obsessive uses of stock footage, which means DESTINY. Sorry to disappoint. :twisted:
you will all be on my side eventually mu ha ha ha :twisted:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Nick Izumi

Hey guys, I just started the episode but I'd really like to praise everyone, especially Chris on his brilliant rant against elitist anime fans and their stupid justifications for not buying anime they "like." I've been saying the same for years, but you phrased it so well.

I also want to praise all the guys for decrying the stock footage complaints about Unicorn 3. The emotional impact of the Banagher vs. Marida fight was so intense and emotional that I'm really surprised people actually got vehemently upset such limited use of stock footage.

Keep on rockin' guys!
I AM A MAN!!! *PUNCH*
I review stuff with MS Paint. www.youtube.com/nickizumi
Mekton GM

the whole thing with the reused animation in Unicorn is just a trolls outlet for something to bitch about. last time i checked noone bitched about Simon's Giga drill break being identical to Kamina's. besideds they robots are robots they mosy likely have preprogrmed with set moves; in f91 seabook needed to grab the rifle from the mount on the ship, when he tryed he missed then the technition told him to use the automatic program. stock footage for a move like throwing the sheild is beleiveble but the enemy being in the same spot for your shot every time looks so fake (ie seed and destany) Also sorry for the bad spelling im typeing this on a cellphone
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214