Ep. 064 - Straight, No Chaser

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 064 - Straight, No Chaser

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 064 - "Straight, No Chaser"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 128 min., 12 sec. (2:08:12) - 58.7 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:53:07

03. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:53:07 - 0:53:37

04. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:53:37 - 0:54:33

05. Extended Segment: Straight Talk Express!: "The State of the Gundamnation & the Last Days of the Ngee Khiong Blog"
Runtime: 0:54:33 - 1:57:56

06. Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios (YouTube Channel)
Runtime: 1:57:56 - 1:58:56

07. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 1:58:56 - 1:59:45

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:59:45 - 2:08:12

Chris takes us on the scenic route in the Straight Talk Express, as we discuss the recent rumblings in Gundam Fandom due to controversial closing of the Ngee Khiong blog.

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
"The Fantabulous Rap Extravaganza" (Skit) by Deltron 3030
* from the album "Deltron 3030"

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"The Winner" by Miki Matsubara
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory", OP 1st Series Half

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Pride" by HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny", Season Two

- GoDaddy Commercial BGM
"Cold" by Ta-Ku aka Flip
* from the album "TRIBUTE : Dilla"

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM
"Kaerubeki Daichi" by Shigeaki Saegusa
* from "Mobile Suit Z Gundam ~ A New Translation", Part Two

- 1st Segment, Opening Drop
* Rooney Mara, from the film "The Social Network"

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"AXIS" by Shigeaki Saegusa
* from "Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack"

- 1st Segment, Closing Drop
* from the YouTube video "Scarface School Play"

- Judau & the Junkyard Kids! BGM
"Music to Interrogate By" by Lalo Schifrin
* from the Soundtrack "Bullitt"

- Outro BGM
"Mr. Jun, Jun Seba That Is" by DJ BMC
* from the collaborative album "Remembering Nujabes"

- Outro Drop
* from "Macross II: Lovers Again, Episode 1: Contact"

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Pray for the Sinners" by No I.D. featuring Dug Infinite
* from the album "Accept Your Own and Be Yourself (The Black Album)"

- Stinger Drop
"National Movie Review" (Skit) by Deltron 3030
* from the album "Deltron 3030"

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
yazi88

Re: Ep. 064 - Straight, No Chaser

Wow, such a serious episode, well I just want you guys to know that as much trolls there are online, that there are still people that can like all kinds of things about Gundam, I hope Ngee the best and that are more non-trolls than trolls on mechatalk I hope especially amoung veteran posters.

Anyways, excited about Andre in the next episode.

Great job as always and keep up the good work and the Junkyard Kids is hilarious.

Although kind of sad to hear no Dennis. :(

PS: For troll killing/hunting, you guys should do what Jay and Silent Bob did in their own movie and literally go hunt them down individually door to door and beat them to death. :D
jabman025

Hey guys, once again great show.

I would like to throw my 2 cents in on the topic of the state of Gundam fandom.
I would first like to say that I agree with both you and NK’s opinions on the horrible divisions of the Gundam fan base. The UC fans, the SEED fans, the WING fans, ect…., has been one of the biggest issues with the fans today. Now as the “Defender of Destiny” I have to say that I do not consider myself in that category. I love all the Gundam shows to one extent or another, I just personally believe that Destiny is show that is hit with a little too much criticism. But just because I believe that does not mean that I hate everything that is not part of Destiny. If you like one particular show above all others, good for you, but that does not mean that every show besides your own sucks.

I know you will speak of this topic in the next episode but I also wanted to talk about some of the hate that comes out during talk of the Gundam model kits, particularly the recent wave of hate generated by the announcement of the PG Strike Freedom. Fans were enraged by the fact that the kit they wanted was not made into the next PG. Put very simply to those fans I can only say this “You do not run Bandai’s hobby division.” That’s really all there is to it. They are in the business of making money. They currently believe that the Strike Freedom will make a lot of money in PG form. If you don’t like the kit, don’t buy it, but bitching and moaning about it won’t change their mind and won’t stop the kit from coming out.

I would also like to comment on the subject of the trolls. As many of you know I have my own YouTube channel where I do Gundam model kit reviews, and in the grand scale of things it is a minor blip on the Gundam internet fan world. That being said I still deal with the occasional troll. Not too long ago I posted a video about some custom moonlight butterfly wings for the Turn A Gundam Master Grade model kit I had made, and for the most part the response was good. But I still had a troll use a homophobic term to describe me. Despite all the good comments that one bad one stung a little. But in the end I let the comment roll off my back as best I could. I guess I can understand NK’s desire to quit if he was being bombarded by those “stings”. But trolls are called as such because the more attention you give them the worse they get. Killing his website will only excite them and make them believe they are as powerful as they think they are when they type the messages. The best thing to do with trolls is to not even acknowledge their existence. That being said I can’t speak for NK, he was dealing with more trolls daily then I did since I began.

Finally I would like to reiterate something you said during the show. To all fans who read this, go to your favorite websites, be it Gundam or otherwise and thank the people who make them possible. People who run these websites or blogs often only here from the vocal and angry minority and do no hear enough praise from the majority of the fans who enjoy their work they put into their project. I would like to start right now. Thank you very much Chris for MAHQ, it is a huge help to those of us looking for more information on Gundam and other mecha shows. Thank you to Chris, Neo, and Soul Bro for putting on the Gundamn@MAHQ podcast, it is a fun show to listen to and has gained me friends from across the world. Finally, thank you to everyone here at mechatalk.com for helping maintain this site as it is one of the few mecha forums that is made up of decent fans who are mature and sensible.

I’ll quit ranting now, sorry if I took to long but after listening to this episode there were things that I felt I needed to say. Thanks again guys and I look forward to the next episode.

Oh and one more thing, Judau and the junk yard kids get a commercial but nothing for JAB MAN DEFENDER OF DESTINY…..seriously! ……………………… :wink:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

jabman025 wrote:Oh and one more thing, Judau and the junk yard kids get a commercial but nothing for JAB MAN DEFENDER OF DESTINY…..seriously! ……………………… :wink:
Keep listening 8)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kaioshin Sama

I've noticed the whole Gundam infighting thing has especially intensified since the Gundam 00 movie came out. On some of the boards I frequent whether Gundam Seed>Gundam 00 or UC and such is almost all some people talk about. How did we get on this track where instead of Gundam fans appreciating the different intricacies of each franchise entry we just fight about which has superior execution or whatever the hell the point these people are trying to make is. I don't even know what it's all about to be honest...it's just wasteful in my eyes.

Good thing the mecha fans I met at Anime North were nothing like what I'm seeing on the internet as of late and instead had a similar passion for mecha that lead to some epic hot tub discussions about model kits and mecha video games like A.C.E and SRW. :P

I mentioned to a friend that I wondered if Bandai/Sunrise ever anticipated this current state of fandom expression when they decided to start the Alternate Universe idea. He just said to ignore them, but man if they ever don't shut up. Some of the most talkative people in the threads unfortunately. I liken it to that one senator you get on CSPAN who always has to drag all of the attention to himself to make some selfish point nobody else really cares about.

I would find the fact that the fandom is as heavily factionalized as the characters in the shows (Gundam vs. Gundam Seed vs. Gundam 00 in some all out battle of Gundam series) somewhat amusing and be able to laugh it off if it didn't have such a horrible effect on hard working guys like Ngee Khiong, who put all their passion for the franchise into getting the latest to the minute news about it out to "fans" who then use it to attack each other and him. Truly horrible....what the hell? :cry:
jcncasval76

Chris, you are absolutely correct about the difficulties and concerns of bringing Gundamn into video formats on a daily basis. Unless all three of you are in the same location (such as anime convention or inside a studio), the audio format would do just fine.

As for the Marvel original animated movies, I actually saw most of them (sans Dr. Strange), and most of them were quite good. In fact, I have a mini-collection of those movies.

As a fan of Gundam, since I actually watch just about every series on either official releases or bootleg DVDs (actually I did both), I don't mind watching each of them either in the original soundtracks with subtitles or dubbing - as long as dubs are done perfectly. The only concern I have with Gundam is how the new storyline might top the previous series.

On the merchandising end of Gundam model kits, please correct me if I am wrong, that as much as Bandai would love to release all of the suits in all the series, they could only have so much hours of day to come up with designs for those mechas. In addition, some kits sell far better than the rest (such as RX 78-2), and with all the improvements on model kit technology during production, some designs may take a while to come out.

With regards of the NK blog in general & its closing, I thought the blog was great, and since I'm also a Kamen Rider fan, I was thrilled to see all sorts of KR merchandises that came out, even with the Gundam model kits - MG or otherwise. It's a shame to see NK closed it down, since I've only been reading for a very short time.

Teen Tony doesn't work for me either, especially since I've watched the Iron Man animated series & the movie. I enjoyed the entire Spider Man (1990s) animated series, but X-Men counterpart was a bit inconsistent. "Wolverine & the X-Men" was quite enjoyable but no thanks to the merger with Disney, I was disappointed that there won't be having a second season.

on the side note, if you talk about making sports as a lifestyle, just look at English football fans in the UK ...... :lol:
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
The Fowl Sorcerous

Alright,so we're pretty much settled on on the main hosts vis a vis Top gear hosts, but who is the Stig?
[[lorem ipsum]]
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

First thing first, my french makes my english horrible by time.

All that was said during this episode is completely true. It's such a mess to see of the comments of the so-call "fans" of Gundam. It really is a zero sum war and it sucks a lot. I love the UC timeline, but I also liked some of the AU. My favorite Gundam show is, without a doubt Gundam 00, but it doesn't mean I don't like things like Zeta and Victory. Seed was good, and I have A LOT of issues with Destiny (sorry Jabman...), but I also can't stand Stardust Memory. I mean it just comes down to taste and opinion. We should all stand by our own opinion and you shouldn't let anyone try to guide your opinions. Simple principles of life right here.

So that's my two cents about this topic. I hope Ngee Khiong will find something new and fun to do, because this guy doesn't deserved the ammount of crap he got.

BTW: Thank you Chris (again) for having accepted the invitation on our show. It was incredibly funny and you were a great guest. Hope we'll be able to work together again in the future.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Mu La Flaga

On the Bandai and dub stuff and MSG things.
I understand what Chris said when cutting costs but there is small things it does make it sometimes less appealing for companies to accquire it, such as Madman Entertainment who are kind of selective.

Since they don't license certain shows past a certain age or shows that are subtitles only.
It's usually only done when alot of fans request it they sometimes cave in to requests.

As for 90s Marvel series, I have seen Spider-man, X-Men, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Incredible Hulk.

I like most of them except for the Hulk, the animation in the Incredible Hulk was rather rough.

I also would like to note I have seen Hulk VS, which both movies are rather good, I like the Hulk VS Wolverine one though more so, it features Deadpool as well as Sabertooth and Omega Red.

On the subject of Gundam fanbase and the trolls ect.
I don't have much to say but I notice a fair few of them love to reside ovet at gamefaqs forums.
So not much else to add, some of the.
"Gundam this vs Gundam that" is the kind of stuff which stirs up this kind of stupidity.

There is also one youtube user who insult SEED or SEED Destiny fans by calling them gays and all and tells them to suck a male apendage.

If anyone ever knows this dude, his retorts are he calls people gay and reckons they are all gay.
The guy himself sounds like simple minded 15 year old immature kid.

That is all I am saying, I try to keep an open mind on Gundam and their series, the one for me which might be hardest to accept is Turn A.
But on a rethink of a stretech for liking G Gundam(not seen it all), it's one I will get an opinion of it and buy the Bandai DVDs.

I would like to say also Chris, I just want to say thanks for MAHQ and love the site it's a handy compilation of information.

FINALLY also thanks for having Dennis in the end of this episode, now I can HEAR what Dennis Lone sounds like :P
And damn he is not that good, at least the dub voice.
Vent Noir

Every fandom has its share of idiots.

Hating people because they're a fan of something you don't like never made any sense to me. I may not like Gundam 00, but I am never going to insult somebody for being a fan of it. Heck, when I was panels coordinator for Manifest, I had to watch over yaoi panels with rooms full of screaming yaoi fangirls, and even though I'm not into yaoi myself, I actually found their, uh, enthusiasm quite entertaining.

On the subject of fandom being a lifestyle, in sci-fi fandom, FIAWOL (Fandom Is A Way Of Life) vs FIJAGDH (Fandom Is Just A God Damn Hobby) has actually become a kind of meta-rivalry.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Doven

Yeah i hate the whole in fighting in around gundam, I don't even like proclaming im a big gundam wing fan cus i get trolled for likeing it, which really the only reason its to near and dear to my heart is because it was one of the first shows that got me into anime and gundam. I can say the same thing about other animes I like I get trolled over, Im a fan of Naruto, but im called a narutard for enjoying it. I even got into a heated discussion with with few members of an known anime revew site who even went through the trouble to make a video bashing naruto and its fans, and im like why?
If knowing is half the battle then Im going in unarmed.
Hyakushiki

Great show guys,

When Neo mentioned how some see their pastime as a lifestyle, it reminded me of the TheGameOverthinker who made an excellent video addressing that subject. I think he said it best that if your favorite hobby doesn't help you make income or improve your quality of life, then your doing it wrong!
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
bloodyknight

Hey, you guys... Good show as usual... I never really thought that fandom has become this serious... to the extent that it make one quit doing what he likes. Speechless and disappointed, I must say.

One can express his opinion but not in a way that makes others uncomfortable. I can only wonder what has happened to the Gundam Universe. I suppose it has been invaded. If only there is something we can do about it...

Nevertheless, I suppose we will still be stick with this for quite some time. Anyways, looking forward to your next podcast. Take it easy!!!

Signing off from the island of Singapore!!!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:Alright,so we're pretty much settled on on the main hosts vis a vis Top gear hosts, but who is the Stig?

You know noone knows who the Stig is(somewhat).

Anyways, on Gundamn, our Stig would be the Stig's Mecha Piloting Cousin.

"Some say he's made from leftover runners from the Zeta Plus, and he once spent three days at the Char Day Spa without paying..."
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
SolidSpidr

You mentioned codenamev! Ah, he was the first to respond in my art thread when I created it here way back when. I laughed so hard when I read his post. I mean, he was bluntly being a dick and yet he was cheering me on, it was amazing.

I've been a bit removed from all the fandom hate as I tend to stick to just Mechatalk although I have occasionally cruised /m/ now and then. Its really sad to see people go raving mad over a CARTOON ROBOT show. Really people, are we 12?

Its really sad to see Ngee go. I had just started to get into gunpla this year (and had a good job to sustain it) and had been using his site pretty much daily to check out the latest, especially since he updated many times in a day. I'm a lot like Ngee in that I enjoy all the gundam shows I've watched. Sure some have been better than others but that doesn't mean I have to viscously attack the series that are lesser in my eyes. I really is too bad that he ended up closing shop. I can understand though, show your hobby for the world and in return you get insults and death threats (in the case of the pirated gunpla article). That's enough for me to say "F**k you guys, I'm going home" or in his case, "I quit".

And the PG Strike Freedom, I was surprised it wasn't a PG already.
“The school of the undefeated East!”
“The winds of the king!”
“Zenshin!”
“Keiretsu!”
“Tempa Kyoran!”
“Look! The East is burning red!”
-Master Asia

Click me!, Click me!
mobiusdiablo

Man, Ngee quit? That's a shame. I was starting to get used to going there (Why did you have to use him as a news source, Neo? (joke joke)) for merchaindise news, and now he's gone. Damn trolls. I mean, what's the point of trolling someone incessantly over and over like the so called "fans" (both Gundam and in general) do? I mean, there ain't that many fans of Gundam in America compared to other things, so why the heck are we killing each other over what series of the franchise is best?

I remember when I first really started getting into Gundam, I dove into SEED and DESTINY, since it was the only thing I could get my hands on. At first I loved it, and I couldn't see why anyone else so called "hated it" (I was 15 at the time, so young and definitely inexperienced) Couple years later, (around when 00 came out) I found MAHQ while searching for more Gundam. I read Chris's reviews on the Cosmic Era shows, but rather than blatantly troll "Oh my god he's so retarded and Seed is best", I decided to watch both shows again, while watching the other shows (i.e. Zeta, 00, and Wing). Because of that, I realized that although decent, the SEED shows weren't the Ten Commandments handed down by Jesus Yamato. Now I enjoy all Gundam shows and take them all for what they're worth. Why do some people *cough*trolls*cough* have such a hard time with that, I may never understand.

Enough with my ranting. On something COMPLETELY unrelated, I'm curious about this new Transformers Prime, since it'll be CG. Would it be something akin to Beast Wars/Beast Machines, or something like the "metallic vomit" of Revenge of the Fallen?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Crestborne

Due to this subject being really important to me, I made a video response to this Podcast.
This is Me in the video, speaking on the topic of trolls and fixing the "Gundam Fan" stereotype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTEc1iAalTk
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne
MrVince

Definitely this was, as the title implied, a straight shot and a good one at that. You three vented quite a bit, and it was done as cordial as trolls can be discussed.

Certainly the Gundamn podcast will continue to address the pains of trolling. However, as I'm sure fellow long time listeners can agree, I got your point on this matter "way back when" well before this episode. To be more specific:

1. I get that you like compliments like everyone else (including trolls). You earned it.
2. I get that if someone doesn't like what Neo has to say, they should take the first SouthWest flight to Orlando for Megacon and say it to his face. He said it at least twice in this episode!
3. I get that trolls exist, despite not wanting to believe it.
4. I get that I should listen to Pretentious Internet Theater while ordering from Petco.com using the Gundam promo code GUN19.

I realize the cast will continue to make comments about trolls, but that by no means represents all of Gundam/mecha fandom. My constructive feedback would be for the cast to at least say one compliment about what the sensible Gundam fans have done right.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

MrVince wrote:I realize the cast will continue to make comments about trolls, but that by no means represents all of Gundam/mecha fandom. My constructive feedback would be for the cast to at least say one compliment about what the sensible Gundam fans have done right.
Well, I think you didn't listen to the episode that carefully, because we praised the efforts of Ngee and all those who supported him. But unfortuately in today's society, its the trolls who are louder than the supporters. And in no way, were we implying that all Gundam fandom are trolls.

The main point of this episode is how the immaturity and viscious attacks of a select few can ruin it for everyone else. I'm sure Chris could attest he's received more troll mail/attacks than supportive emails/comments. It's just human nature, if we're satisified with something, we tend not to write or comment about it as much or passionately.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

Chris, 30 isn't the end of your life. I'm almost 5 years older than you, and I don't make that comment unless I really think i'm in deep trouble that I won't be survive for too long.

hey, I get your point about not making video podcast under normal circumstances, such as seeing what the living condition is like. However, when it comes to conventions, that idea would be perfect - that is, if nobody breaks anything.

As for Japanese companies' lack of understanding of American market, how many times have we seen their DVD prices is at least twice as much with little or no contents, whether it's in store around places like Japantown or online stores? On Tomino's ego-driven thoughts of only Japan can see the missing episode while American audience couldn't, I could only speculate that he thought the works on that episode was too horrific for anyone to see from the states. Yet, I concur that his thinking would not make sense because we want to see the complete product, even if it means the quality & standard was not good enough.

One thing I have to say to defend George Lucas with his constant revision of Star Wars original trilogy, is that we have to keep in mind that when he wrote the whole saga, the technology at that time was still primitive. So he had to use what he could come up with to make the story believalbe for the audience; now, as we become relying on technology as it improves everyday, he wants to complete his original vision & intent with the saga. Even though some of the "hardcore" fans of the franchises could not understand what the purpose of "updating" the films, since the saga was set in the distant future, shouldn't we just let him perfect that franchise and not fault him for ruining it instead?

Gundam fandom is much like other fandoms from religion to entertainment to sports, there are always fanatics who always want to hold on to what they know and ignore the rest. Just look at the Tea party movement, you can tell what is blinded those supporters from the reality.

One more thing, when I first began collecting the old Gundam shows - and even with the Kamen Rider series, I did obtain the Hong Kong/Taiwan-subbed version, and I agree with SoulBro when it comes with the English subtitle, the English translation was quite horrendous. I had to turn the subtitle into either Chinese (which I don't have any issue with at all) or just turn it off altogether.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)