Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Podcasts » Gundamn! @ MAHQ




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4623
Location: Miami, FL
SSGokuJr wrote:
On the women in mech anime mail question, (now correct me if im wrong I couldn't find it anymore) I had read a few times that Heero Yuy was orginaly designed to be a girl, but desided to change it because he/she was very close to design to Rei from Evangelion. (once again not sure if this is true)


I've never heard this before, but right off the bat I can tell you it's not true. Wing started airing in April 1995, and Evangelion in October 1995. There's no way it could have happened like that, so someone definitely made it up.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:06 am 
Offline
Hot-blooded Gattai
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Posts: 8072
Location: Detroit, MI
I think SSGokuJr is getting his factoids mixed up. Confusing Heero intended to be a girl with Heero actually looking like, and I believe modeled after (from the neck up anyway) a real world singer Yuki Uchida

_________________
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:19 am 
Offline
Ill-informed Newscaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Posts: 812
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
TakaTahuNuva wrote:
Can't blame you for not being able to pronounce my username, Neo. Not even I can do it at times. xP

As for Robotech - as I said in another thread, I really didn't find it that bad. Okay, it was worse than Destiny, but saying it's in the same level as MD Geist? Sorry, but no. Maybe it's just my crazy opinion. Maybe it's because it's been a while since I've seen it. Maybe it's me being a nonconformist. I dunno, I thought it was just... average.


If you can't pronounce your name, why have one like that?

And as bad as Destiny was, its much better than DooDoo Chornicles. Like I've stated before, the first 13 episodes of Destiny were pretty damn good. It's just the last half, well, whoa! Cue, Jabman, Defender of Destiny now.

And let's remember with Anime Toilet, there is a rating system (flushes), so any show/movie in Anime Toilet doesn't necessarily mean its as bad as Giest. Since it is football season, think of Giest as the 1972 Dolphins, the perfect champion. Giest is the standard all future toilet entries are measured too, just like Super Bowl champs are measured to the Dolphins.

_________________
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:23 am 
Offline
Defender of DESTINY
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 pm
Posts: 196
Location: St. Louis MO
hawk of endymion wrote:
And as bad as Destiny was, its much better than DooDoo Chornicles. Like I've stated before, the first 13 episodes of Destiny were pretty damn good. It's just the last half, well, whoa! Cue, Jabman, Defender of Destiny now.


Hmmm....what...someone call me.......

_________________
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:32 am 
Offline
Ill-informed Newscaster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Posts: 812
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
jabman025 wrote:
Hmmm....what...someone call me.......


Was there a distrubance in the Destiny Plan?

_________________
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:03 pm 
Offline
Defender of DESTINY
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 pm
Posts: 196
Location: St. Louis MO
hawk of endymion wrote:
jabman025 wrote:
Hmmm....what...someone call me.......


Was there a distrubance in the Destiny Plan?


no its working fine, your destiny is still to fall before me in a debate

_________________
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:27 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:44 am
Posts: 2
Location: San Francisco
When Chris & SoulBro mentioned "Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker", which BTW I have both versions of it, please correct me if I am wrong, but apparently WB was pressured to edit out the death scenes involving Bonk & the Joker and a scene that the aftermath of Tim Drake/Joker essentially ambushed Bruce Wayne at the Batcave due to some events (i.e., Columbine High School Massacre and/or 9/11) during its inital airing on KidsWB/Cartoon Network. For the record, I felt the movie was trying to fit too many things from the old series into Batman Beyond storyline, even though I was thrilled to see what they were trying to tell a side of the story that wasn't even in the series itself.

Most of the new DC comics origin animation movies are quite excellent (although I have missed the last release - Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths), and Batman Gotham Knight was really unique because of each of the 6 mini-movies were drawn by different Japanese anime artists, so each of them showed their own interpretation of what they think about the story. But just out of curiosity, would you also be interested in reviewing all of the recent DC animated series like Justice League/Justice League Unlimited/Batman & Superman?

Lastly, with my comment concerning Shadow Chronicles, since I have only watched Macross, Mospeda, and Orguss individually back in the day, I would have had some sort of interests in watching Robotech had I have cable TV in the 1990s - until I realized that Robotech is just a "experimental project" in trying to combining all of the three series with one single storyline that was really going nowhere due to the differences in the art direction of each of them. From all the evidences the hosts have brought up, the movie was compiled with little or no quality control with graphics and editing. Had I watched that movie, this is my ranking: not only it won't have enough flushes to satisfy my hate, but this piece of work (along with MD Geist) deserves to take a one-way trip to the 20 closest black holes across the galaxy.

_________________
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:38 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 9
Location: The Center of Everything
Dollow! My Man! You diggin' this idea too?

I have been brainstorming since finishing this podcast a few night ago...

Oh, man! I've got some ideas flowin'!

I don't wanna spoil anything...but please Chris, SoulBro if you guys would honor me and want to do a one shot project that could be reallllllly fun, email me at erictkeith@gmail.com, and I promise this will be painless for all of us. >:-3

^___________^ I love it when a good plan comes together!

But, to not be considered a Spammer (*-*);;; The bits you guys spoke on Shadow Chronicles intrigued me...I caught Robotech back on Toonami, then learned of Macross soon after, but never gave the other two shows a try. Time to warm-up the internet box and find me some Southern Cross and Mospeda!

Good Job once again!

_________________
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:08 pm 
Offline
Creepy Bishonen
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 240
hawk of endymion wrote:
TakaTahuNuva wrote:
Can't blame you for not being able to pronounce my username, Neo. Not even I can do it at times. xP

As for Robotech - as I said in another thread, I really didn't find it that bad. Okay, it was worse than Destiny, but saying it's in the same level as MD Geist? Sorry, but no. Maybe it's just my crazy opinion. Maybe it's because it's been a while since I've seen it. Maybe it's me being a nonconformist. I dunno, I thought it was just... average.


If you can't pronounce your name, why have one like that?

Well if you really want to know, it's a portmanteau of the names of two characters in the sci-fi/fantasy series Bionicle...

And yea I agree with what you just said on Destiny, but I don't wanna go off-topic here lol

_________________
ohhhh snap


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:54 pm 
Offline
OMG Doomsday Laser
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:06 am
Posts: 1377
Location: Sydney, Australia
Neo forgets I also somewhat defend Destiny for me it takes a nosedive when Kira Gundamjacks the series fully from episode 35 onwards.
Only a small handfull of episodes I like in those periods of things.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:59 pm 
Offline
Content Specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:36 am
Posts: 73
Location: Riverside, CA, US
Crestborne wrote:
Dollow! My Man! You diggin' this idea too?

I have been brainstorming since finishing this podcast a few night ago...

Oh, man! I've got some ideas flowin'!

I idon't wanna spoil anything...but please Chris, SoulBro if you guys would honor me and want to do a one shot project that could be reallllllly fun, email me at erictkeith@gmail.com, and I promise this will be painless for all of us. >:-3

^___________^ I love it when a good plan comes together!


I like the idea but it is up to Chris and Soul Bro if they want to do it, it is not like I am going to be on the ep, I just would like to edit the podcast ep that way it would not mess with the normal Gundamn eps. Chris is the first person I know to hate on the movie; and I am sure he has his reasons, because I think it would exciting to hear, which is why I would like to hear that podcast, and that debate should be a "Flawless Debate", if you want to know what that means; just google it.

On the ep I would love to hear more topics on mecha/scifi manga, like Crest/Banner of the stars; that was a good anime and the manga based on the anime was just as good.

I never read any of the Seed side stories, I only read the Seed manga and that was it, maybe in the future I will, I like talk of it.

I will have more to say later, but keep up the good work.

P.S.
Crestborne, I am Soul Bro's Man.

_________________
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
GALLIAN LIBERATION FRONT help bring Valkyria Chronicles 3 to the West
Sign the petition here, it doesn't hurt to help just a little


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:14 am 
Offline
Lackey GM Pilot
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:27 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Toronto, On
Soul Bro, I know you have gone to great lengths for the things you love before, and I we have forgiven you for some questionable taste because of that, but seriously? A Palladium game? You'd have a better time just throwing the dice at each other.

_________________
Opinionated nerdy podcast goodness, every other saturday
The first rule of book club is - do not podcast about book club
Irreverent, fast paced movie reviews


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am 
Offline
Pilot's Doomed Girlfriend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 373
Location: Ruins of Dublin, Ireland, UC 0088
Hey guys,

First of all, great show. Like SoulBro, I too grew up with Robotech and only recently watched the originals. I'll definitely avoid Shadow Chronicles, it definitely sounds like the worst to come out of the Robotech venture (the original series, in my opinion, still stands up as a decent attempt to westernize anime). It strikes me as odd that you haven't mentioned what I consider Robotech's strongest point: its soundtrack. Sure, it committed the sin of replacing Macross's excellent one, but it's still of great quality, I find.

Second, regarding your answers to my questions! Thank you so much for giving them such consideration! I really appreciate it. Sadly, I agree with you with Gundam, which is a shame. And you're right, women don't fare very well in mecha anime in general, but as pointed out above, you forgot Patlabor, which is the only big exception that comes to mind.

Regarding my second question, just a clarification: the girlfriend I was talking about wasn't a friend, but a partner. I realised later that in America, 'girlfriend' doesn't instantly imply a romantic relationship (I'm in Ireland). Sadly, your advice won't help me now, since the little cultural exchange this girl and I were having has fizzled out now that we're broken up. Ah well.

Keep on rocking! I'm taking a guess for the next anime toilet:
Spoiler: show
Garzey's Wing, I reckon, it's well-known as a bit TominoFail.

_________________
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4623
Location: Miami, FL
Kosh wrote:
Second, regarding your answers to my questions! Thank you so much for giving them such consideration! I really appreciate it. Sadly, I agree with you with Gundam, which is a shame. And you're right, women don't fare very well in mecha anime in general, but as pointed out above, you forgot Patlabor, which is the only big exception that comes to mind.


Thoughtful questions are always appreciated, so keep them coming.

Kosh wrote:
Regarding my second question, just a clarification: the girlfriend I was talking about wasn't a friend, but a partner. I realised later that in America, 'girlfriend' doesn't instantly imply a romantic relationship (I'm in Ireland). Sadly, your advice won't help me now, since the little cultural exchange this girl and I were having has fizzled out now that we're broken up. Ah well.


As they say, there's always more fish in the sea, so who knows when that advice might come in handy again?

Kosh wrote:
Keep on rocking! I'm taking a guess for the next anime toilet:
Spoiler: show
Garzey's Wing, I reckon, it's well-known as a bit TominoFail.


I can neither confirm nor deny anything about the Tomino-stinky Anime Toilet. :D

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:32 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 1
Great episode guys. i didnt like the shadow chronicle movie at all but im not a robotech fan so what can i say. Although i do feel i could watch that more than md geist.
@chris i honestly dont know how you can blindly hate the return of the joker. it’s pretty good movie and the fact that the dialogue between joker and both the original a new batman was classic. Great fight scene and the stakes were higher than usual. There’s a scene where the joker use the deathray(lol) to vaporize batman and his shots were missing batman but if you notice the citizen was getting cook instantly . it even showed a group of people disappearing after the laser missed the batman, completey different from the last two ep of unlimited where superman tosses darkseid through multiple building and no one get hurt. At least with this you can see the damage. i know it’s your opinion and all but you should consider that some people might have not watch the movie and when they listen to a person who is the greatest of train mechanics of our generation, it gives the viewers the wrong impression on the movie. soul bro should have ultra your ass for saying something as hating the movie . i wish soulbro had defended it more. And the fact that your hate comes from a micro ship that embedded into Tim skin, how can say such a comment even though you yourself love ghost in the shell. A show, were mind swapping is the cliché. i know it’s not the same but still the general idea is. sorry for the essay and the bad grammer but constantly you have said statement that no one had the heart to go against you on.
Do dc as a whole. Its hard for me to read a dc comic cuz most of its boring but watching dc shows an movie is great.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:11 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4623
Location: Miami, FL
DepthCharge:

Tell me exactly how I'm "blindly hating" the movie? It sure sounds to me like you think any opinion that doesn't match yours is blind hatred. I stated some reasons why I don't like the movie, and there are other reasons I didn't get into during the episode. What does Ghost in the Shell have to do with anything? We're not talking about Ghost in the Shell, and the way it does things is different from Batman Beyond.

If someone hasn't seen the movie and has a certain impression of it because of me, that's not my responsibility. I can watch things without being influenced by other people's opinions, and if some people can't do that, it's their problem. I also don't see why you're putting any blame on Soul Bro. It's not his job to defend the movie - we simply have differing opinions about it.

I think you need to be more open-minded. You're asking me to recognize that other people have different opinions about the movie, but you're certainly not showing any respect for my opinion.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 am 
Offline
Mecha Flunky

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 1
@chris dont make me out as the bad guyhere(even though i am). you said " oh god i hate that movie". You also said, the fact that the micro chip that was imbedded in tim head and having the joker suddenly controlling him made it stupid. Do you hate a movie just because it has a less then believable scenario? i hope people dont base the whole movie on a tiny part of the story. Should I hate gundam because kids pilot multi million dollars worth of equipment?
I used ghost in the shell as an example in which mind swapping is used constantly played out in the show. Joker putting his mind onto a chip and having it influence the Tim body over time, until it become his own. Both shows used mind swapping and technology but using it in a slightly(using very loosely) different method, that’s what i meant by ghost in the shell. If you hate the movie fine but the fact that you said it right after you announce the review of anime toilet. Like it or not you are an influential person, people listen to you on whether or not they should watch/buy a product or not. the fact that you are podcaster/reviewer, you do have the position to influence people(as tiny as it is) which you have. And basically calling it garbage tells the audience that the show is in the same field with md geist shadow chronicle or beast machines (imp playing) and that you’re probably you going to review it in your next anime toilet.
I think you’re the one who is having a hard time with people opinion but what do i know im a chump from boston


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:44 am 
Offline
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Posts: 1065
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vent Noir wrote:
Chris wrote:
Yes, after recording the episode, I remembered about Canaria. Zero did have Norma, but she was just a one-dimensional antagonist. And the Macross II Valkyrie bunnies aren't anything more than window dressing. I have to disagree with you about the Meltran issue not mattering. I don't think this is a theme the franchise is actively promoting, but throughout all of Macross, it's almost like they're saying, if you're a human woman and don't have genetically engineered fighting DNA in you, then your job is to sing. You really do have to wonder why there are so few human female pilots in any Macross that don't have Meltran blood in them.


We obviously disagree on how important the Meltran thing is, but considering the power of song in the Macross universe, that could be construed as saying that women are the ones who hold the real power there.


In fact, if I can expand on this, you may have heard about the "power fantasy" type of wish fulfillment (most likely in relation to superheroes). Being a mecha pilot, like being a superhero, is a traditional physical power fantasy, about being able to kick butt and not having anybody push you around.

The "princess" or "idol singer" archetype is also a power fantasy, but rather than physical power, it's about social power, about being loved and adored by and able to influence the masses.

Physical and social power fantasies are generally seen as "masculine" and "feminine", respectively, but I don't believe in strict separations like that.

_________________
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:56 pm 
Online
Bald Wizard
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:20 pm
Posts: 4623
Location: Miami, FL
DepthCharge:

I don't see a point in discussing things any further with you. No offense, but none of your points make any sense, and it just seems to me that you're complaining a lot without actually saying anything. I'm free to dislike things and give reasons for them, and the fact that you don't like my reasons isn't my problem. Any opinion people form as a result of what I say is also not my problem. I can't control people's minds or how they will receive what I say. Despite what you say, it's clear here that you're the one who is intolerant of other people's opinions.

_________________
"What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold." - Xhavalor

PSN: amuromsz006
3DS: 1177-6671-6035


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 pm 
Offline
Mecha Flunky

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 1
chris:
you know what. your right. clearly you wont listen to what im trying to say to you so yeah its over. the fact that you can say a show is stupid because of an chip in someone head, completly make no sense. its fine if you dont like the show but hating it. there has to be better reason to hate it instead of a chip in someone head. at this point i really dont care what your point is anymore. no offense but your reply are verry narrow minded. but what do i know.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Podcasts » Gundamn! @ MAHQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: