Ep. 062 - Sewing Shadowy Seeds

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 062 - Sewing Shadowy Seeds

Wow, it's always great to see a new troll checking in.

Your attack on Chris' opinion is so cliche. So what if he doesn't like the Batman, what's that do you or the world? It's his opinion and if I remember correctly he gave several reasons for his opinion. I could see attacking him on a baseless opinion, but that's not the case. In terms in influence, that's up the listener and not what we're about or even portray. So stop, get a grip and enjoy life its passing you by.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

Vent Noir wrote:This seems to apply to Japan as well. Almost every Super Sentai show (the only exception being Sunvulcan, IIRC) has at least one female team member, often two, and they never get told they shouldn't be fighting or aren't worthy of being on the team because they're girls... why is it that kids' shows do a better job with gender equality than adult shows?
There's another point that applies to this: The "never have a female Gundam lead thing" mainly comes from the fact that usually the protagonist matches the target audience. However with tokusatsu shows like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, which are for kids, the heros are usually in their 20s. In fact, there's hardly been any kids in the Kamen Rider shows I've seen, but the franchise is still insanely successful. So main character = target audience isn't always the only way to success.

Besides, animes these days put far more emphasis on the female characters so a female heavy Gundam series with a female main character would be better for merchandising. Sunrise has had past success with doing so, such as with My HiME, My Otome, and Sora Kake Girl. If there was a female Gundam main character, I doubt many would complain.

And now I actually have a bone to pick with Soul Bro *Gasp*! I take issue regarding your comments about Metroid Other M. Lots of people have been clammoring about what they think is sexism and the 'ruining' of Samus, but it's all ridiculous. They made Samus subserviant to a man? So what? He's her commanding officer! He had every right to kick her off the ship (she's still a law abiding bounty hunter) but he let her stay if she followed his orders and worked with his team. Samus clearly respected Adam (this was very apparent in Fusion too) so of course she has no problems listening to him! Samus doesn't listen to him because he's a man and she's a woman, she listens to him because he's a ranking officer and she respects him! That's not sexist.

Samus was based off Ripley, yes, but how does Other M wreck that image? Remember Aliens and how Ripley was following orders, listened to and was friendly with Hicks and the others? Other M is no different. Samus still kicks ass and can handle herself, but still needs a little help in a couple of situations, just like Ripley did.

What Other M did was make Samus more human, but still badass. It's not the 'chickification' others think it is.

On the DC movies: Superman Doomsday was great for the first act. The actual fight between Superman and Doomsday is a must see. I love Return of the Joker, and the DNA chip thing works just fine considering the advanced and downright alien technology that exist in the DC universe. Heck, if Brainiac could do it, why not the Joker?

On the Astray mangas, I own what there is to own and have read Destiny Astray. I really enjoyed the series and don't have much else to say about it.

Can't say anything about Shadow Chronicles since I've never seen it (or the rest of Robotech for that matter).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

DepthCharge wrote:chris:
you know what. your right. clearly you wont listen to what im trying to say to you so yeah its over. the fact that you can say a show is stupid because of an chip in someone head, completly make no sense. its fine if you dont like the show but hating it. there has to be better reason to hate it instead of a chip in someone head. at this point i really dont care what your point is anymore. no offense but your reply are verry narrow minded. but what do i know.
Whatever, keep acting like a fool. Why can't you recognize that I don't like the movie and have valid reasons for thinking so? Everything you're accusing me of is exactly what you're doing. Also, why are you so hung up about the reasons I don't like the movie? Christ, I swear it's like I'm talking to children sometimes with the level of immaturity that can pop up here.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
DepthCharge

neo:

honestly how am i trolling? chris is putting the movie in a catagory that it doesnt deserve. i dont care if you didnt like it but if some ask you how did you felt about g gundam. an you have said it was stupid and i hate it to death. i would go in the impression that its not worth my time watching and skip it. even though its a good show, i would miss out on the show based on what you said. all im saying is the words you use can influence on a person. and using words like hate is pretty strong to describe. again chris said it himself in numerous ep saying at first he hated shows like g gundam an turn a but he change his mind an found it pretty awsome over time. if he had reviewed those shows with the mindset back then and i heard him saying he hated turn a. i would completly dissmiss it. in my experience i watch turn a gundam based on his reviews and if he had the same mindset back then i would completly ignored the show. like it or not people listen to you guys on what anime or gundam to buy. *sigh* guys im tired of typing and trying express my opinion. its not like im forcing my opniion on you but it would be nice if you use the word hate on shows that actually deserve it. if im a troll by saying then stamp /b/ on my forhead and bann me. if you still feel like im trolling then im sorry if i didnt make it clear enough. honestly you can bann me and delete me of your forum. im still going to listen to you but im just tired of thinking. so plz bann me, i wont lose sleep over this. hope your show continue to grow
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Once again, you're missing the point, Chris' opinion is his opinion and it shouldn't prevent others from watching a movie. We all have things we like and others don't and vice versa. You must remember, people sometimes are more interested when someone trashes something, due to the curiosity factor.
You have a point though, Chris may change his opinion in the future, but that future is not now.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

DepthCharge

neo:

i completly understand what you mean. from reading my posti do sound like child/troll. i didnt mean to get it out of hand. people opinion is there own and you cant change it or interpret into your liking. once again mah bad my dude
hawk of endymion

That's ok.

As reformed troll, you should help our battle against trollines.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

skyknight

OK, ladies first!

I do agree that having a female lead in Japanese mecha anime is hard to find, and look at the Gundam franchise, only in the OVA that we had a woman piloting the lead Gundam (Gundam ZZ and SEED Destiny only have "hand-me-downs" for the ladies!). Macross isn't that much better, heck, look at Code Geass: R2, all the ladies took the back seat (SBR, this should be offended than Samus' beginning) after kicking serious butts in S1. As the world continues to change, I do hope Japanese are being aware the rise of women status around the world, even their neighboring countries like South Korea and China + Taiwan are having women in prominent roles in real-life.

On war and peace + child soldiers in Gundam, I do agree with Chris' view about Tomino's background, which does influence the storyline for all Gundam series. It is crucial that adults try to make the best solutions for a better world for children to grow. A critique about Japanese history lesson, is the whitewashing of events leading to World War II (or the Great Asian Pacific War for Japan) and the mentality of the Japanese people during that period. How to prevent future war and ensure hope and peace are not lost, is something that I think mankind can never easily figure out, and so there will continue to be struggle, as shown in most Gundam series.

Astray manga, man, is that series gone astray, literally! I do agree Lowe and Gui are more interesting than emo Kira, as they offer a different light about human survival in a global warfare - either live by what you can salvage or be the best hired-gun to stay around. Unfortunately, the series has gone out of control for me to follow, as I was able to only read the original Astray manga. But I do prefer the Red/Blue Frame designs over Strike Gundam, as I dig the "exposed" inner works of the MS.

You guys know where I stand in Macross vs Robotech, so no need for me to go any further. If its something that have gone rotten over time, just toss it out, and come out with something fresh!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
kayone73

Thanks for the breakdown of the Astray franchise, it was a really nice coverage of the Astray saga in all its various forms. I've seen the red/blue frame animated shorts and read bits of the Astray and Astray R translated mangas, but getting the global explanation makes a lot more sense.

Concerning the Shadow Chronicles: i too was a little suckered in by the Nostalgia factor, but when I took a step back and looked at the movie with more objective eyes, it really is a bit crap and I never noticed how they avoided ANY Macross era related imagery/references.
hawk of endymion

kayone73 wrote:Concerning the Shadow Chronicles: i too was a little suckered in by the Nostalgia factor, but when I took a step back and looked at the movie with more objective eyes, it really is a bit crap and I never noticed how they avoided ANY Macross era related imagery/references.
It did that to everyone. I wouldn't been hard on it, if it had a decent story, Robotech or not.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]