Ep. 059 - Ghosts and Geists

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 059 - Ghosts and Geists

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 059 - "Ghosts and Geists"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 161 min., 01 sec. (2:41:01) - 73.7 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:44:38

03. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:44:38 - 0:45:29

04. 1st Segment: ""G.I.T.S. Round-up!: 'Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex - 1st Gig' (2002)"
Runtime: 0:45:29 - 1:32:29

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:32:29 - 1:33:17

06. 2nd Segment: "Comic-Con 2010 Wrap-up with Dale!"
Runtime: 1:33:17 - 1:49:49

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:49:49 - 1:50:18

08. 3rd Segment: "Anime Toilet - 'M.D. Geist"
Runtime: 1:50:18 - 2:35:25

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:35:25 - 2:36:55

10. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:36:55 - 2:41:01

The Round-up continues as the boys finally discuss the first TV series of the Ghost in the Shell franchise, "Stand Alone Complex"! Then, MAHQ's own Dale reports the action-packed experience he and his wife shared at this year's Comic-Con! Finally, the shenanigans continue with the debut of a new re-occurring segment on Gundamn! - "The Anime Toilet"! A segment where we subject ourselves to the worst Mecha and Sci-Fi anime Japan has to offer, what better way to kick it off than with one of the most atrocious OVAs that ever was, "M.D. Geist"! A True Classic! (*Flush!*)

BTW, I recently appeared on a new ensemble podcast that is hosted by long-time Gundamn! listener EggMan (A.K.A Crestborne on Mechatalk.net, @E66M4n on Twitter) called "12 Volt Revolt!" He, his co-hosts & I talk about several topics, ranging from internet piracy, anime news, video games, and have a heated discussion about the recent movie blockbuster, Inception (loaded with spoilers)! Check the show out at http://12voltrevolt.com!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Re: Ep. 059 - Ghosts and Geists

Wow!! Great episode yet again. Now I have no excuses to not watch GITS SAC. Seems like an awesome show. My sci-fi need will surely be fill with that XD

I seriously have a suggestion for an Anime Toilet:
Dragonaut the Resonance :twisted:

Keep up the good works guys, you are awesome as usual.

BTW: Did you guys went to Yasumicon??

'Til then, TRIP D's out
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
mobiusdiablo

Now, does the Anime Toilet have to be mecha/sci-fi related? Or are the sewers of Gundamn open to all? Either way, here's one for after Shadow Chronicles- SD Gundam Force. Yeah, I went there.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mu La Flaga

On a note or 2.
Firslty Neo I didn't like to the Turn A article in Neo's News did I?(I did briefly discuss it just a little I think)

I did post a link to the SRW OG The Inspector Anime coming along.

As for the whole "what will be next?" well it spawned it's own topic and instead of reposting my whole reasoning again here is a linkt to the thread for those interested.

http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13085

And I argued though simillarly like Chris, that how does ZZ come next logically when Turn A being the first release was an alternate universe release.

So I'm just going to leave it at that for my post for now.
I may edit later to add more in for the other bits (currently listening to the podcast)

Edit: Sounds like MD Geist is one to avoid because of how horribly generic, inconsistent and just shitty it is.

In Dale's segement it sounds like Thor and Captain America are coming along well, I am curious to see what Joss Whedon does with Avengers.
I mean he is a guy with talent and if you give something like Avengers he should do pretty well with that.

Over all not a bad episode, an interesting one.
GITSAC is one I have had some vague interest in, all I have watched of Ghost in the Shell as mentioned before is the movie for Ghost in the Shell.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
yazi88

Am I the only one who finds it very amusing when you guys went from talking about one of the best animes of all time: GITS SAC, and pulled a complete 180 by talking about the of the WORST animes of all time: MD Geist. It kinda balances out the episode in a really freaky way cause you guys gotta counter the crappiness of MD Geist with the awesomeness of GITS SAC.

For some reason when Neo and Chris started mimicking Geists voice I thought that they were impersonating old salt Dennis from Macross II and start talking about "not knowing anything about culture." :D

I've personally never seen MD Geist but I've seen clips from it in a really bad AMV a couple years ago and man I felt pretty sick and my head started hurting from even watching the damn clips from the AMV. I think I've laid from a lot of AMVs since then.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

yazi88 wrote:
For some reason when Neo and Chris started mimicking Geists voice I thought that they were impersonating old salt Dennis from Macross II and start talking about "not knowing anything about culture." :D

I've personally never seen MD Geist but I've seen clips from it in a really bad AMV a couple years ago and man I felt pretty sick and my head started hurting from even watching the damn clips from the AMV. I think I've laid from a lot of AMVs since then.
Dennis was a deeper character, even though he didn't last long.

And I bet that AMV was better than Geist itself.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jabman025

Hey guys great show as always

I must admit that Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex was by far my favorite iteration of the Ghost in the Shell franchise. I have often said that no matter how good the story is (and this has some great stories) it will never work without good characters and this show has them in droves. Each character has their own personality and are very different from each other, which is why when they interact it makes for great story telling. Like you guys my favorite character was Togusa as he was the guy that most of us could relate to, but I think the most over looked characters are the Tachikomas. They acted as the “straw that stirs the drink” in this show. Each character has a different perception of the Tachikoma as relates to Section 9. Ishikawa looks at them as students to be taught. Saito looks at them as nothing more than co-workers. Batou looks at them as children or friends. The Major looks at them as weapons and tools. Togusa looks at them as glorified toaster ovens. However as the show moves on each character plays of the Tachikomas and you get to learn more about them. I love this show as a whole and is one of the few anime that I will break out once a year or so just because I enjoy watching it over and over again.

As for MD Geist like you guys I remember watching it back in the early 90’s and didn’t even remember what it was until you talked about it in this segment. I remember seeing it on Starz or some TV channel and I remember giving up on it about half way through. From the sound of things I am glad I did and find it a little disturbing that there was a sequel made to that pile of trash.

PS. If (and most likely when) Gundam Seed Destiny ends up on Anime Toilet I vow to invade Shinjuku station and prove to you and to everyone that the show gets a bad rap and is not as bad as it is made out to be! I WILL BE HEARD!!! :wink:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Mu La Flaga

I would also like to vouch for SEED Destiny's defense if it gets put on anime toilet spotlight sometime.
That show had potential and it showed until it got hijacked as we all know and character derailment and other things.
Mr Bushido

Great episode! I got a good laugh out of your new Anime Toilet segment and especially the toilet flush rating. The only thing I know about MD Geist was seeing it being on the top 50 worst rated shows on ANN but after listening to this episode, I'm not sure I want to tackle this show at all.
Mu La Flaga wrote:I would also like to vouch for SEED Destiny's defense if it gets put on anime toilet spotlight sometime.
That show had potential and it showed until it got hijacked as we all know and character derailment and other things.
Would Destiny even be on Anime Toilet cause to me it would be just a second review seeing as how MD Geist was a just a review but with Anime Toilet slap on it's segment.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Mu La Flaga

Hopefully not, but if it gets redone for Anime Toilet Spotlight I just want to make my defense of SEED Destiny known here and now. :P
Vent Noir

I think I've mentioned before that I liked Shadow Chronicles... I know, I know, there are people who actually liked MD Geist too, but as far as I can tell the general opinion of Shadow Chronicles seemed to be "It's okay, but nothing special".
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:I seriously have a suggestion for an Anime Toilet:
Dragonaut has been suggested before, but that would mean having to actually finish the series, which I just can't bring myself to do.

For those worrying about DESTINY, worry no more. As bad as parts of it are, as a whole it's not bad enough to qualify for Anime Toilet. For those who like Shadow Chronicles, well, sorry in advance!
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

LMAO Shadow Chronicles and Harmony Gold deserve what they get :P
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Chris wrote:
TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:I seriously have a suggestion for an Anime Toilet:
Dragonaut has been suggested before, but that would mean having to actually finish the series, which I just can't bring myself to do.

Well damn... just keep that suggestion as a backup plan XD
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Mu La Flaga

You know what WOULD be a good idea.
Get General Hatorade aka Austin on for some of the future Anime Toilet episodes :P
The guy probably needs an outlet for his hatred somewhere or another. :mrgreen:
Dollow

I want to listen to this again before I give my take on the this ep, but I can say this, I love the hate that was in this ep.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

I'd have to listen to the review episode again, but I don't know where anyone's getting the impression that Destiny will make Anime Toilet.

The three of us actually enjoyed it to a certain point.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jabman025

hawk of endymion wrote:I'd have to listen to the review episode again, but I don't know where anyone's getting the impression that Destiny will make Anime Toilet.

The three of us actually enjoyed it to a certain point.
okay maybe I overeacted, I am just so used to debating people who claim that Destiny is something that belongs in a toliet I heard "anime toliet" and reacted.

seriously though I was just joking around, I just enjoy being the defender of Gundam Seed Destiny
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Taekmkm

Wait, I don't understand how you put Transformers's story done less times than Evangelion. Eva's done an animated work three times (with EoE being counted as separate, and Rebuild still going) while Transformers has had at least 8-9 animated series not counting Beast Wars franchise.

And Gundam is far more confusing than Evangelion when it comes to the "Where do I start" syndrome for new fans. Not even close.
Destiny_Gundam

Finally got through my Gundamn backlog!

So I'm the easiest to hate, huh? Well, the Nanoha fandom would certainly agree with you there! :lol:

Anyways, I enjoyed GitS SAC and thought it was extremely good. I liked the Laughing Man plot and felt the mix of that and the stand alone episodes made me like it more than 2nd GIG. Also, I just can't watch GitS subbed. All the dialouge makes me drowsy, so I need to watch it dubbed in order to absorb it all better.

Never saw MD Giest so I have nothing to say on that.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."