Ep. 060 - Ice Cold Haterade!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 060 - Ice Cold Haterade!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 060 - "Ice Cold Haterade!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 129 min., 42 sec. (2:09:42) - 59.4 MB
WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE!!!

Special Guest Hosts: Austin Blake (All Segments)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:41:19

03. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:41:19 - 0:42:07

04. Extended Segment: "Irritating Characters in Mecha & Sci-Fi Anime that Bring the Show Down"
Runtime: 0:42:07 - 1:59:38

05. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:59:38 - 2:00:47

06. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:00:47 - 2:09:42

With SBR absent again, the Hateful General himself, Austin, swoops into his place, bringing a wave of despicable with him. He joins Chris & Neo in a venomous discussion about the characters in mecha & sci-fi anime that are hated so much, they bring down one's enjoyment of that show. Sit back, relax, pour yourself a glass of ice cold haterade and soak in the resentment!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube!

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios - 12 Volt Revolt

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Soul Bro Ryu

Re: Ep. 060 - Ice Cold Haterade!

Oh, and Austin, this video is for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0XrbEwNc

You're mad welcome ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
jabman025

Oh Crap its Austin again....
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Hyakushiki

I have to say this was one of your more entertaining episodes because it was such a train wreck. :lol: I was thinking of a character that really annoyed me she was from the series The Mars Daybreak. She spent most of her time in the show being self righteous as if she knew what was best for everyone, refusing to listen to anyone, even ignoring orders when they didn't suit her. All the she kept lecturing the main character about his lifestyle as if it was his fault that a bad economy and lack of jobs forced him to become a pirate because he couldn't get by otherwise.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jabman025 wrote:Oh Crap its Austin again....
You know you love the hate.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
yazi88

I'm kinda surprised to hear no Nazi hate cause you guys forgot about the MS IGLOOs'.

Loved the Dennis marathon though. :D
Has he become a staple of Gundamn?
Dollow

yazi88 wrote:Loved the Dennis marathon though. :D
Has he become a staple of Gundamn?
He has been one since Macross II roundup.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
DepthCharge

I think you guys need to classified evangelion as religion and bann Eva talk. Nothing good come from it   

Austin should be one of the sith lord an soulbroryu as Merlin and duke it on the battle ground. Having a flashlight war

I hate lelouch and he is one of the worst characters I've had to suffer watching. Almost as bad as rocsi from gurren lagan and Sam from orginal transformer
Flame-X

What an awesome ep! :shock:
Aside from the characters that were mentioned in the segment, the one that irritated me the most is Chidori from Full Metal Panic. She always has this short tempered attitude, abuses Sousuke (poor guy), and she's too inept to admit her feelings for him.
Mu La Flaga

Just finished listening to this episode again! :P
This episode is loaded with awesome bashing on characters who for the most part deserve it and who better to do it with, then having the General be there to lay down his hatred.

Also Neo has accumulated his own fanbase of hate we know about.
Kind of appropriate the General is there when Neo lays down his hatred. :mrgreen:

This episode was GREAT and pretty damn funny.
And yes thanks Soul Bro, I don't think Gundamn would ever be able to escape Bernie's Lament.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote: Also Neo has accumulated his own fanbase of hate we know about.
Kind of appropriate the General is there when Neo lays down his hatred. :mrgreen:

This epise was GREAT and pretty damn funny.
And yes thanks Soul Bro, I don't think Gundamn would ever be able to escape Bernie's Lament.
Well, the General has that aura that inspires people, especially hate.

Gundamn's not triying to escape Bernie's Lament, but I think sometimes Soul Bro is. My dream is for Soul Bro to do, Ryu's Lament, that would probably make everyone forget Bernie's Lament(especially the General).

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Taekmkm

There's nothing wrong with being critical with shows, Eva, Gundam, Geass, otherwise. I will certainly be the first one to point out the dumbest flaws and crappiest episodes (Especially episode 10.)

It's just the Gainax blaming that's bugging. That's like blaming Bones Studio for rehasing Zeta: A New Translation. I hope you understand it that way.

Enjoyable show, though no one tell Soul Bro Daigo's coming back to the states in October.

And Gundam compilations, ironically, was done well the first time and the rest...eh to horrible.
Soul Bro Ryu

hawk of endymion wrote:Gundamn's not triying to escape Bernie's Lament, but I think sometimes Soul Bro is. My dream is for Soul Bro to do, Ryu's Lament, that would probably make everyone forget Bernie's Lament(especially the General).
Still proud of that video, no matter who wants to misconstrue it. Plus, it's my most watched AMV on YouTube, even before we started Gundamn! @ MAHQ.

Kinda sucks that the other 11 AMVs I've made (one of them award-winning) are rarely brought up or mentioned, especially since 5 of them are also Mecha related.

Too much to hope for I guess.
Soul Bro Ryu
Wingnut

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Kinda sucks that the other 11 AMVs I've made (one of them award-winning) are rarely brought up or mentioned, especially since 5 of them are also Mecha related.

If it makes you feel any better, the only one I clicked on to favorite was "Credit is Due". Which is my personal favorite out of all those you made then.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
Well, the General has that aura that inspires people, especially hate.

Gundamn's not triying to escape Bernie's Lament, but I think sometimes Soul Bro is. My dream is for Soul Bro to do, Ryu's Lament, that would probably make everyone forget Bernie's Lament(especially the General).
That is what you say, but Chris seemed to hate having that embarassing AMV brought up, hence my reasoning as to why Gundamn(refering to the show, rather then just Soul Bro alone) trying to escape it :P
I mean sure your more neutral minded to it though.

Soul Bro looks at it his own way, he has 1 AMV which won something, while on the other hand Bernie's lament is like one of his more infamous AMVs, such a contrast heh.

Also on a side note, now I know probably 1 of the other NUMEROUS reasons I would never get addicted to WoW(World of Warcraft), the fact there is a town dedicated to just that kind of thing is sad.

The General has a simple point try to do something every now and then in real life, go to the movies(like I did tonight in fact)
hawk of endymion

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Gundamn's not triying to escape Bernie's Lament, but I think sometimes Soul Bro is. My dream is for Soul Bro to do, Ryu's Lament, that would probably make everyone forget Bernie's Lament(especially the General).
Still proud of that video, no matter who wants to misconstrue it. Plus, it's my most watched AMV on YouTube, even before we started Gundamn! @ MAHQ.

Kinda sucks that the other 11 AMVs I've made (one of them award-winning) are rarely brought up or mentioned, especially since 5 of them are also Mecha related.

It's the gateway AMV of Soul Bro.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

mobiusdiablo

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Oh, and Austin, this video is for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0XrbEwNc

You're mad welcome ^_^
Nice selection, Soulbro!

I really liked this episode, especially with the suprise guest of ze Emperor Palpatine himself. Seriously, Chris, you got some VA talent between him, Troll and Dennis.

BTW, I finally watched "Bernie's Lament", and I think it isn't that bad as most of you make it out to be. It could be worse, especially if he had the dialogue included.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Destiny_Gundam

About the straight talk segment, like I said before Neo you're always groaning when Eva is mentioned and you never say anything nice about it. That's why people think you hate it. Yeah, you have been critical about other shows, but you also balance that out by saying good things too. With Eva however I can't remember you saying anything positive about it.

So Neo if you say at least three things nice about Eva (and no cop out answers like "Asuka, Asuka, Asuka" or "it ended"), never again will I accuse you of hating it.

Though I still think it's unfair to use it as an example of something that's been retold over and over again. There are worse offenders out there.

At the same time, Neo, don't treat those who defend Eva and who may actually think it's the best anime ever as retarded fanboys with no grip on reality.

Moving on, Neo I find it amusing you say Ranka is self centered and egotistical when Sheryl is far worse in this regard. She's the one always bragging about how she's the great galactic fairy and generally had a high and mighty attitude, which is why she fell so hard when Ranka rose as a star.

Of course other things you like about Sheryl probably outweigh that, and your hate for Ranka compounds it. But still.

About the segment as a whole, I feel you guys quickly got off the point. You just ended up listing characters that annoy you, rather than talking about how they brought the show down. Well, it was still amusing anyways.

I'd agree on Dragonaut to a point, but there were 3 characters I actually liked, which is why I ended up watching the show to the end.

A character I think that ruined a show was Akito in Nadescio. Everything about this guy was irritating, from his voice (especially the way he screams), his basic patheticness, his wishy washy attitude who can't make up his mind about if he wants to be a cook or a pilot, he's got so many girls after him but he doesn't treat them very well and would rather lock himself up in his room. The dude's supposed to be in his 20s too, so that makes it even worse. With such a main character it's no surprise I don't like the show very much. The movie improved on him so much by turning him into a badass who gets things done.

Another character that stands out that I absolutely hated (not from a mecha show though) is Black Star from Soul Eater. Man that kid was annoying as hell. He's always shouting and running his mouth off about how he's the best, how he's greater than everyone. And then he gets his ass kicked but he still runs his mouth. He's supposed to be some stealthy ninja, but he utterly fails at it because he can't keep quiet so he'll just charge in screaming. But some fights he does end up winning easily even though he shouldn't have. Certainly doesn't help that his weapon partner is the best chick on the show, so she has to suffer through his crap for the whole series.

Oh, there's Kamina too. Glad he died sooner rather than later.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Taekmkm

Sheryl had to learn humility, and rose from her darkest times all by herself, unlike Ranka who became a lover of Bug Aliens until the very last episode. When she was dying, she didn't mope around, she rose the spirits of people in terror during attacks and helped others in their time of need. Shery's effect on people outweigh what was the cliche beginning of a diva star.

Akito doesn't have a harem, watchu talking about? The only girl that really loved him was Yukino, which he came to with his feelings in the end. He was a normal civilian thrust into being a pilot, so of course he's not "manly" or experienced like the others. He has a lot of brave moments, including throwing himself against two enemies with just teleporting stones, not knowing if he'll be fine. If that's not brave, I don't know what is.

He always wanted to be a cook, but because of circumstances, he knows he has to protect the ship. Calling him terrible is also calling Amuro and every other Gundam pilot in the same situation terrible.

The movie destroyed him. I don't know how making a character emotionless, and taking away his two passions (Yukino and cooking) makes him more "awesome."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:TL;DR
Can we finally put this pointless debate to rest? Whether you like it or not, Neo is going to keep citing Eva as an example of something being told over and over again because that's what he thinks. That you disagree with him is not going to change his opinion, so why do you keep wasting time trying to debate the point?
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his