Ep. 050 - Gundamn Five-Oh!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 050 - Gundamn Five-Oh!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 050 - "Gundamn Five-Oh!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 148 min., 48 sec. (2:28:48) - 68.1 MB

Special Guest Host: Andres Cerrato of Tomopop.com! (1st Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:41:55

02. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:41:55 - 0:42:25

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:42:25 - 0:43:54

04. 1st Segment: "Gundamn Boy Modeling School! - The Wide Wild World of Gunpla!"
Runtime: 0:43:54 - 1:33:16

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:33:16 - 1:34:09

06. 2nd Segment "Anime Spotlight - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Vol. 1"
Runtime: 1:34:09 - 2:22:13

07. Row Row Fight Da Powah! (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:22:13 - 2:23:16

08. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 2:23:16 - 2:23:52

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:23:52 - 2:28:48

We've finally made it to the Golden Episode! The Big 5-O! And in this milestone, we regroup with our favorite Gunpla expert, Andres Cerrato of Tomopop.com, as he takes us on a journey of all the different Gunpla lines Bandai has to offer! Then, in an "unexpected" move, we delve into the anime that mustn't be mentioned, the first OVA of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn!

Many thanks go out to all our listeners that have supported us throughout our run so far, and here's to 50 more! Also, many thanks to Andres for taking the time to record with us again, and when you have time check him out at Tomopop.com!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah!

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
hotlimit

Re: Ep. 050 - Gundamn Five-Oh!

Congratulations and thanks for 50 awesome episodes (and several specials)!

I'm with all of you on the gunpla, we need more AU kits!
CaptainBright

Well, well, well. It seems that this spectacle has reached at least 2 years in production.

Back in 2008, both of you guys sounded kind of alright at first(I mean Neo and Ryu), but I didn't know whether I wanted to keep up with the 'cast. Then when Chris came on the bandwagon(along with the awesome Straight Talk Express and the Troll), the show became just perfect.

Anyways, congratulations on your 50th 'cast.
Mu La Flaga

Found it interesting to hear small review of Unicorn it sounds like a series I would look in to when it comes out over here and all.
NastyNate

Great ep guys congrats on the 50th. I also wanted to mention that unicorn deserves recognition for is its music. It is an epic sound through out. Also were soul bro said that unicorn could be shown to people who have never seen UC stuff I can testify. I invited some guys over and used this movie to introduce UC to them one of them had never even seen Gundam before and they all were able to follow. The movie explains the one year war and the whole plot very well it is a great movie. Def will preorder the next vol!
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
VentZX

Great episode guys and congrats for hitting fifty numbered episodes. I got giddy hearing my question being read, and in such a fitting episode, too. In regards to my question, I pretty much agree with your feelings. I would love more anime on Blu Ray being released at the same time as its Japanese counterpart. I of course purchased Unicorn, so I'm certainly open to the idea of buying some more HD anime (FLCL on Blu Ray is most likely my next purchase as soon as that comes out.) As for my thoughts on the first episode itself, loved it, and it is SO worth the price when viewed in HD on a nice set.

On modeling, a nice and informative discussion for newbies looking to jump in. I personally stick with MGs, though I am now looking to get into the HGUC and other HG lines since it has way more variety than MG. Also, I would love to see a pic of the KING OF SWORDS 00 Gundam when it's done, Andres! Will be browsing Tomopop in anticipation.

Oh, and just a minor nitpick, but this time it wasn't just Neo pronouncing things wrong :D . Banagher is pronounced with a soft g, instead of the hard g in girl for example. So basically, Banajer is how you'd pronounce it.
JQuilty

Thanks for the question plugging, although Soul-Bro didn't quite disagree with my assessment over who his man for the DCAU was.
Arorn0086

and there goes another milestone... congrats on getting ep.50 guys!

found the section on gunpla intresting, never knew much about the different scales (aside from size) as i think ive seen two model (think it was a 1/100 Haman Kahn Qubeley, and possibly 1/100 ReGZEE) outside of the endless waltz models back in their hayday. i knew that there was 1/60, 1/144 and 1/100 (and of course 1/48) from browsing sites but never knew about that EX or hardgraph.

far as unicorn goes i liked it but as Neo says the whole "Fall 2010" thing is annoying, but even worse, i have looked on a number of main stream sites and have you to find a british dvd or blueray to buy... so much for "worldwide release"... anybody got any idea when the UK is ment to get it at all?

anyway congrats again on getting to 50 guys and keep up the good work!
"Lockon Stratos, targeted and firing!" - Neil/Lyle Dylandy, Gundam Meister

"Free will is an Illusion"

The Scotsman from Wales

PSN/XBOX: Arorn
snoops619

Congratuwelldone on 50. Hard to believe that it's been so many. Great episode as always.
I personally prefer 1/144 kits as they're quick, of decent quality and save on space. Although nothing can topple my 1/100 MG RX-78-2 Gundam O.Y.W. Colours in my heart.

As for the Unicorn discussion, all I can add is that it didn't get that world-wide release as advertised. We (UK) haven't got it yet.
Beez (pretty much Bandai UK) have it, but the online store, it's sole outlet for sale, has it backed-up. Really sucks 'cause I want to support it but if it takes any longer, I may slip.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Arorn0086

snoops619 wrote:As for the Unicorn discussion, all I can add is that it didn't get that world-wide release as advertised. We (UK) haven't got it yet.
Beez (pretty much Bandai UK) have it, but the online store, it's sole outlet for sale, has it backed-up. Really sucks 'cause I want to support it but if it takes any longer, I may slip.
you sure they even sell it? cause when i checked it said "item is no longer avaliable" :/
"Lockon Stratos, targeted and firing!" - Neil/Lyle Dylandy, Gundam Meister

"Free will is an Illusion"

The Scotsman from Wales

PSN/XBOX: Arorn
jabman025

Congragulations to the Gundamn@mahq gang on 50 episodes here’s hoping for 50 more episodes.

I must also say that this might be my favorite episode of Gundamn to date. This was just an all around great episode.

First the Gundamn boy modeling school, I am a 1/100 guy, its all I really build. That being said I have to agree the new is Real Grade line is nothing but a gimmick line. I think the first kit will sell like crazy as everyone will want to know what the new grade is like. After that I am willing to bet the line will go off into obscurity. I would also like to say that the 1/100 line from Gundam 00 was night and day. The first season kits were rather poor. The Virtue, as mentioned in this episode, sucked while its season 2 counterpart the Serave was a great improvement. I am MG collector for the most part and have well over 50 kits at this point. I agree that it is the best of the lines as it has the best balance of quality vs price. I am big fan of the Strike so one of these days I’ll probably relent and fork over the cash for the PG kit. I have been building model kits since I was in elementary school, but mostly it was cars and planes and such. Therefore I had no issues with the EX line, I have the White Base and the Eternal, but you have to have a good deal of experience building kits besides Gundam kits to be able to work on these.

Also the rifle pose for the MG Wing Zero Custom was mentioned, for the love of god will someone explain how to pull this off because I can’t pull it off. Anyway good segment looking forward to more, oh and the Lacus’s Zeong…….it haunts my dreams……..but I must see it!

Now as for Unicorn, I really loved this show. I agree with Soul Bro that this was basically a love letter to the UC fans. The animation was as slick as anything ever made in Gundam and the battles were truly stunning. The soundtrack was really epic as well.

I was thinking about how nobody seemed to care about the Zaku in the museum. Is it just me or are the people in UC have poor memories it seems that in every series there are people that have forgotten was has occurred less than 10 years ago, what is wrong with these people! Also as mentioned the discussion of newtypes was really interesting and it really made you think about the definition of a newtype and how it has changed throughout UC.

The only problem I have with Unicorn is it was too short and we have to wait too long for part 2.

Well I think I have ranted on enough, great show guys looking forward to episode 51!
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Wingnut

jabman025 wrote:oh and the Lacus’s Zeong…….it haunts my dreams……..but I must see it!
Okay, here it is.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
jabman025

Wingnut wrote:
jabman025 wrote:oh and the Lacus’s Zeong…….it haunts my dreams……..but I must see it!
Okay, here it is.
AHHhhhhherrmmmmm......mmmm......ya know its really not as bad as I had feared.....
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
jcncasval76

Andreas, had I been able to read your articles about MG models, I wouldn't get so much version 1 of many of those early kits .... and I must have mentioned on ep. 48 about the later model kits are much more structually sound. I should mentioned that when i bought those kits, it was when the announcement of producing version 2 weren't made. Still, now that i listened to this podcast, I really regret about buying those kits back then (yes, the buyer remorse), even with the Katoki version of MGUC (make it worse when I actually broke a piece for left leg area). Coincidently, I just so happened to also build 2 Sazabis, and I'm actually looking forward to get the upcoming kits in the near future. ...

As for the UC OVA goes, I'd rather wait til the boxed set collection comes up then watch them all, even if I have to wait for a long time for the rest of them.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Red Comet90

Another hilarious/ informative episode!

I loved how the episode began with that little intro adding in all the names of the Gundamn crew. It was hilarious.

The model kit segment was informative since I haven't been keeping up with all the latest kits and such. I'm really looking forward to the 1/144 God Gundam. Hopefully they bring out the Gundam Spiegel at some point in 1/144. Turn A model kits would be nice especially a Turn X. You guys mentioned the gold Sumo from Turn A. I actually have the 1/144 scale model kit of it. Its one of the worst kits I have along with the 1/144 scale Mercurius from Gundam Wing. I'm also glad Andres liked the Catharon colored Flag I made. :mrgreen: Now I feel more accomplished since someone besides my friends and family said it looked good.

You guys pretty much covered everything I thought about Unicorn. I have to agree with Neo's point though. When something like that is dragged on for that long people tend to forget about it and move on to other things before coming back to it. It can be a negative, but I think Gundam is too big in Japan for people to forget about it for that to happen to it. I felt Banagher was rather odd for going out of his way to feel like he belonged by helping out Minev....Audrey. The UC tropes aside I thought it was great and the SBR seal of approval should definitely be on this OVA in my opinion. 8)

Edit: Forgot to mention that the new layout for MAHQ looks great!
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Vent Noir

Congrats on 50 episodes!

As someone who wasn't enthused enough to buy Unicorn as it comes out, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of having to wait 2 1/2 years for the compilation. I'm also hoping it's not gonna hold up a possible new series...
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
LockonStratos

Congrats on #50!
Hyakushiki

Congrats on episode #50!

I wish this podcast was around when I bought my first Master Grade because it was the Zeta Plus C1 and it is a horrible kit. I had no idea how bad it was till after I finished it, I only bought it because it looked cool. By comparison the Zaku II 2.0 was a pleasure to build and looks impressive especially for a grunt unit.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

snoops619 wrote:
As for the Unicorn discussion, all I can add is that it didn't get that world-wide release as advertised. We (UK) haven't got it yet.
That maybe, but you get the new season of Top Gear before us. I have to wait (wink, wink) for BBC America (wink, wink) to bring it over. I'd take Top Gear over Unicorn any day.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jcncasval76

Hyakushiki wrote:Congrats on episode #50!

I wish this podcast was around when I bought my first Master Grade because it was the Zeta Plus C1 and it is a horrible kit. I had no idea how bad it was till after I finished it, I only bought it because it looked cool. By comparison the Zaku II 2.0 was a pleasure to build and looks impressive especially for a grunt unit.
same sentiment here, I literally have possession of not only Zeta Plus, but also the first generation of model kits which includes the infamous ZZ Gundam that I can't even get the backpack on without breaking that connector piece, I even had GP01 to GP03, at least the good news is that I've got some of the version 2. I sincerely hope Bandai will come up with the newer version of ZZ Gundam and other suits they have made before.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)