Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

Chris wrote:
Seraphic wrote:Chris, can you please clarify the difference between the Mailbag Drop Box and the general topic suggestions for Gundamn! segments? Is it merely the brevity of the question/subject or is there something more? Thanks. =o
Topic suggestion is to suggest topics. This is to ask specific questions that we will answer on the show.
Sorry. I guess I got a little confused when the suggestions here for Mailbox looked a lot like the other thread.... =/

Here are some questions:

1. I've heard the suggestion that most UC elitists are really fans that started off with Gundam Wing, but avoid their original viewing material because it's not as respected. To what degree do you think that can be true? How do you think that affects the Gundam Wing fandom, if "old fans" are potentially avoiding it since they may seem immature for liking it?

2. Chris, you've mentioned that you've dabbled into Japanese cinema and Kurosawa films. Do you have any recommendations?

3. Do you think MAHQ would benefit from having a "technology" section for Gundam? I feel it can be useful to have a more authoratative and consistent explanation of all the tech instead of relying on everyone's bad memory. It would be a lot of work, but otherwise, bad physics and misconceptions are rampant on the forums.

4. Outside of Gundamn! what is your favorite section of MechaTalk? Are there any memorable threads or exchanges that left an impression on you?

5. Has there been any fan work (art, fiction, or otherwise) for Gundam that you've found to be worthy of mention?

6. What do you dislike about Gundam?

7. What do you dislike about Gundam fans? :lol:

8. Do you have a favorite mechanical or character designer in the industry?

9. Do you have a weird or obscure anime that you really like that you think few people know about? Tell us about it. =)

10. How many times must I kill that girl and her dog?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Visch

1) Why does it seem that the more "realistic" gritty series (08th MS team, 0083) are all shorter OVAs and take a back seat to the 50~ish episode almost pseudo-realistic series (00, Wing, SEED)?

2) Any thoughts of gundam games and any unique story lines you think would make an awesome anime? (Senki, Gihren no Yabou, Side Story 0079)

3) Do you think there could be any possible way to savage ZZ's horrible rep with a movie(s) akin to Zeta's A New Translation?

4) I know they tried this in a way with SEED but, do you think it would be good or bad if they actually remade the original MSG and do you think it would ever happen (perhaps even following the original story with G-3 etc)?

5) Favorite quote from any Gundam series.
snoops619

I may get banned/shot for this one but I'm being genuine and not trolling:

Why do you dislike Neon Genesis Evangelion? Is it just because it's been pimped out in countless different versions (super-Samoan-ultra-director's-cut), because of the fanboys/fangirls hyping it up too much or actually something to do with the show itself?

If the latter then what specifically?
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
bertman4

Just finished listening to Special 008. It was hilarious. Great clip show! But why is there no topic in Gundamn! forum?

In it, you recapped quite a bit of various Gundam deaths. Death by Asteroid! Hilarious! I loved it. But it got me to thinking, "What is the most gruesome mecha anime death scene?" I'm sure the little girl's head being blown off by bazooka in Space Runaway Ideon is in there, but what else?

Also, I have a question. If we want to send something via snailmail to the hosts for Gundamn!, do you have a PO Box or something?

Thanks,
Bertman
jcncasval76

Here's my question for Neo: what is your isssue with Rahxephon that you have disliked so much? btw, before you answer this question, here's a list about this series for you to think about:

1. Rahxephon is made by Bones Studio (the same studio that brought us Full Metal Alchemist & Wolf's Rain
2. According to the director, Rahxephon is supposed to be the modern-day Raideen
3. Not all anime reviews claimed Rahxephon "a clone" of Evangelion
4. Rahxephon uses more elements from Megazone than Evangelion
5. Rahxephon borrows elements from other shows like Escaflowne, and Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures.
6. Rahxephon adds various cultural & mythical reference into this series.

Granted that the director concurred some parts of the argument that current state in anime that the focus leans toward making safe remakes than creating new ones; still, I believe Rahxephon is a better series than you claimed. Please clarify why your dislike toward that show. Thank you.

"PTI" Jeff Ng
San Francisco, CA
**found those points in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RahXephon# ... ther_anime
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Vent Noir

In my response to episode 44, I made the comment that IMO the Gundam franchise has gone backwards in its treatment of female characters as time has gone forward. I've stated that I think Tomino does a very good job with female characters, the 90s series had some good ones, and that Seed/Destiny and 00 are the weakest series in this respect (well, I though Seed wasn't that bad in this respect, but I have a friend who begs to differ). Do you agree?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
The White Knight

In my response to episode 44, I made the comment that IMO the Gundam franchise has gone backwards in its treatment of female characters as time has gone forward. I've stated that I think Tomino does a very good job with female characters, the 90s series had some good ones, and that Seed/Destiny and 00 are the weakest series in this respect (well, I though Seed wasn't that bad in this respect, but I have a friend who begs to differ). Do you agree?
I don't want to get in an argument here, but I think you might have it wrong. The women of Tomino's series' were balanced between weak and strong. In 00 many of the female characters are quite strong. Sumeragi is extremely talented in strategy and creativity, however she is human and has issues. Kati is just as bright, and in many cases has a better understanding of the battlefield then her male counterparts. Marina is a much better pacifist then Relena Peacecraft in that she acknowledges that she has to follow her own path, but conflict will always exists.

The women in seed are not quite there with their 00 counterparts, but only because Talia Gladyis suffers space madness at the end. Badgerule is more discplined then many of the male characters in gundam, and Meerielia is very articulate in independent.

Every series has weak characters of every gender, but Gundam 00 became the A-pex of gender equality in Gundam.
Chris
Administrator

White Knight: Please read the rules for the Mailbag. This is NOT a thread for you to discuss things, only for people to leave questions to be asked on the show.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
phillosmaster

1.) Where did Lelouch get that ridiculously specialized helmet? You think he made it himself or did he geass some poor costume designer?

2.) Who is a better trainer, Coach Ohta from Gunbuster or Micky Goldmill from Rocky.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Well... I got some questions (again). (Pick anyone of them: one, two or the three of them, I don't mind).

1. With the past segment of people that you wish didn't died if you had the Dragon Balls, what about if you have the Death Note and you can kill someone who didn't died during the run of the show. I think I know one of the choice of Chris... For me... KIRA YAMATO!! (name at least one person)

2. Did anyone one of you watched Bokurano? If yes, what's your opinion about it.

and

3. What's your favorite Opening theme song of all time??

Also, with all the jokes that we made about Soulbro and his men, what about Neo's ugly ms (aka Guntank). Neo, do you like ugly mobile suit that much??

(Sorry for my english again)
Last edited by TheSuspiciousRedLamp on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Toxicity

I've been watching Turn A Gundam recently, and as I've been watching each episode I'd check the MAHQ review just to make sure I hadn't missed anything, and I've noticed that you say alot that it is difficult to keep track of who is who regarding Dianna and Kihel, but I personally haven't had any trouble at all keeping track of them at all. Surely you realized at some point that you could tell them apart at a glance by simply looking at their eyes?
Last edited by Toxicity on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelwingzero

Some SRW OG stuff here:

1) Chris, how disappointed were you that the PS2 Original Generations didn't make it over here?

2) Do you think they'll make an OG3?

3) What Banpresto originals could they pu in og3 if they made it? (I've only played the OG series not counting the DS games)

4) Do you think the second Endless Frontier game will be released in America like the first one was? (I sure hope so)
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Furious Rodimus

What has been the biggest failure of an anime you have ever watched every episode of?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
jcncasval76

Do you think that Gundam 00 showed in some aspects of the Four Horsemen and the Apocalypse from Revelation in the Bible?

But seriously, what is your favorite Gundam model kit that you have built? and which mobile suit would you prefer to see it made into a model kit?
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
phillosmaster

Question 1) Will you guys be doing any other western scifi shows?

I enjoyed your discussions on BSG last episode. I wouldn't mind listening to a discussion on DS9, Firefly, Farscape or B5. Please don't interpret this as a request. I'm just curious about what we can expect for the future.

Question 2) Is anyone else sick of the Gundam Unicorn trailer yet?

I've watched it way too many times as an advert before ANN, Crunchy Roll, youtube ... shows. They should have produced a couple varients to switch things up a bit. I think I can draw the trailer from memory at this point.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
raijinz

I have a question that could lead into an interesting discussion regarding the state of mecha anime and anime in general.

The portrayal of Black characters in anime (and other ethnic minorities) in varying degrees over the years. Some shows rely on established stereotypes to quickly signpost those characters, with little thought of actual personalities, while a few do a really good job of creating characters that viewers can empaphise with (Macross being one that springs to mind).

I'm not naive enough to believe Japanese anime will ever pay much mind to how these types of characters are shown in their shows any time soon, but do you think there will be a time when we'll ever see a "convincing" Black or ethnic main character front a mecha show?

PS
Keep up the good work guys! You rock harder than a Brightslap!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
wielder

Have spoilers significantly affected your anime viewing experience? In other words, do you actively seek them out or do you prefer to avoid them as much as possible?
Soul Eater, the True Rune
SwordBits

I only have one question in particular:

Of all the themes and mythos in the Gundam franchise, none have been as prevelant as the theme of humans trying to reach out to each other and come to an understanding, thus rendering the end of conflict as we know it. This has gone about in a number of ways over the years (Intense telephatic connections between newtypes, and as of recently, The 00 Raiser's Trans-Am Burst acting as a cataylist for the characters to move past their petty differences and grudges), but while on a blog, someone was ranting about how much of an artifical plot device it is, a deus ex machina to make certain plot points happen (simplying it to TOMINO SAYS YOU'RE IN LOVE NOW etc). I was wondering what you folks at Gundamn thought of this particular theme in the franchise we have come to know and love over these past 3 decades. Thank you very much in advance.
Destiny_Gundam

Moe has become a hot topic in recent years. Why do you think this is? Cute, big eyed anime characters date back to Tezuka and everyone from Miyazaki to Obari uses them, so why do you think people have a problem with it now? Why is it now "the cancer killing anime" when it has been an integral part of anime since it's conception? Will people not be satisfied until anime is populated by ugly characters? Does the experience of watching epic space battles between giant robots some how diminish in quality if there are cute boys/girls in the cockpit?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Red Comet90

Recently on Mechatalk there was a thread where people started to discuss what Char's real reasons were for starting up Neo Zeon. I figure I'd ask what the Gundamn Trio thought of this and what you three think Char's real reason for creating Neo Zeon whether it be actually following his father's ideals or merely out of a selfish desire to beat Amuro. Thanks.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn