Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
jabman025

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

There have been those that have criticized movies such Avatar the Last Air bender and the Prince of Persia for their use of White actors in roles that were at based on either Asian or middle eastern characters. There has been a lot uproar among fans about the race of the actors who play these characters. In a recent comment on Twitter Soul Bro Ryu was one of the ones who were against this move.

What is the big deal here? Avatar the Last Air bender is set in a mystical fantasy world is it really that important on who plays the characters. As long as they stay true to the story I really don’t care who plays what. I mean if they ever made a live action Evangelion or Gundam movie and the story is not set in Japan with Japanese actor would there be an uproar?

It may just be a case of me being a white guy and not fully grasping the importance of race, but for me at least it really doesn’t matter. The source material for these movies has references in Asian and Middle Eastern culture but they are vague at best.

Am I crazy or am I the only sane man left?
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
mobiusdiablo

I just heard something about "having to be better than 'Pundam' (sp?) in one of your podcasts to get a Neo salute", and I was wondering
1. What is Pundam/what podcast was it in and
2. Has anyone topped it?
Thanks for reading and considering this to be used in one of your future podcasts.

Edit: Sorry, I just thought about this, but what does it mean by "Suzaku did it"? I know it's a Code Geass reference, but I don't get it.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
anubis

This is a question I've been wondering about since I started hearing your podcasts.

You guys have complained/criticized about the way certain shows fanbase. From the top of my head, Evangelion fans (and ADV itself) calling Evangelion the best show ever. Chris has also made some remarks about star trek fans. This leads me to wonder- do you guys have any other shows in which your enjoyment of a show has been "lessened" so to speak by the fanbase and the way it was marketed? or does the fanbase really not affect how you enjoy a show at all?

Second question is completely unrelated and to soul bro himself.
Soul Bro, when blazblue continuum shift comes out, are you going to pick it up? You really should, its the superior game.
kkofthefunkoff

Ok this has been bugging me for some time, but at the end of the First Season of 00, we see that Allelujah gets defeated by Soma Peries, and what's left of Kyrios with him in it is taken back to Earth, but what happened to the remains of Kyrios, did the Alaws use what was left to get a better idea of what the Gundam's were capable of, or did they just take the pilot interrogate, and imprison him?

Thanks guys, I love the show keep on rocking.
Kira Yamato is nothing compared to Amuro Ray.
Strike Zero

I've got a question:

Do you guys know personally any female fans of mecha or science fiction anime, and if so, do they differ in any noticable fashion from male fans of mecha anime?

EDIT: Another questions occurs: if G-Saviour had been produced as an animated movie or series, or filmed and produced by a Japanese film studio instead of a Canadian one, would it have been any better than it is now? If so, how so?
Last edited by Strike Zero on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
mobiusdiablo

Okay, I got a question. We have Pedobear North and Pedobear South, but who are Pedobears East and West? What makes a person a Pedobear in your eyes? I know what a pedobear is, but what makes a Gundamn Pedobear?
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Koshernova

'tis me again:

-Have you guys considered doing a spotlight on Xenogears? I understand it's a controversial game, but I find that it's unique in being an RPG tribute to the history of mecha anime, from the past (you got your giant monster and super robot style mechs), the recent past (lots of grunt-like Real Robots) to the very recent (slightly wanky religious-symbolism-laden storyline). Hell, at one point they throw in the most blatant Macross reference ever (Superdimensional Gear Yggdrassil!). Aside from that, the game's storyline plays out very similarly to 80s real robot storylines, almost a cross between Gundam, Evangelion and Dunbine. I'd love to hear you guys talk about it.

-Has any of you guys ever met Tomino in one of his american con appearances?

-The questions from my last post were awesome. Made you look!
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
White_Glint

-Have any of you guys ever heard of the PS2 game MS Saga: A New Dawn? It was a turn based Gundam RPG with good gameplay mechanics but kind of a clichéd story. If you have, would you recommend any other games like it to someone who likes mecha and RPGs?

-Also, purely curiousity but I was wondering where a certain sound bite used in the podcast comes from. It's the one where an angry young woman chews out a lazy sounding guy who eats too much pizza. It sounds like it's from Welcome to the NHK but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks guys.
Rosetta Stoned.
DepthCharge

Would it be possible to have a spotlight episode about James Cameron career due to his love for scifi( terminator avatar alien and more). Aswell speaking about the upcoming movie battle angel. Also can speak about the American influence on mechs and/or robot and if America is Will ever have the same passion for it like in the 80s
yazi88

Since you guys have talked about American shows like BSG and Firefly, will there be a spotlight about Megas-XLR?

Also even though this show is a bit old now have you guys seen Vandread and is it also on the list of the Gundamn crew for a topic. If you guys end up doing Vandread I would like to point out at the beginning of 1st season and at the end of the 2nd season of Vandread that there is a captain of a ship that looks exactly like Bright Noa and I believe he was also voiced by him too just to point that for some easter eggs.

You guys never end the enjoyment of the podcast and I look forward to every episode so I wish you guys the best of luck.

P.S: For Chris I have an idea to get rid of that troll that keeps possessing you, you get a bunch of nude pictures of Bernard Monsha from 0083, one of your beloved characters from mecha anime, with his personal contact number and place them as seals on that portal of 4-chan so that the troll will be trapped there forever and won't bother you again. :D
Koshernova

Some more:

-Has SoulBro started watching LoGH? If so, who are some of his SoulBro Men in the show? So far, most I've seen aren't pathetic enough, but Fork certainly seems to qualify.

-Considering how fad-driven the anime industry is, isn't it strange that we haven't seen a number of LoGH-like shows? Sure, there's a few similar sci-fi stories (like the Crest of the Stars saga), but it's surprising that it didn't spawn a new genre of anime, as far as I know. For example, the original Gundam created not only the concept of the anime Real Robot, but also a certain plot structure that many of its 80s followers tried to copy. Perhaps it's because LoGH is a bit too complex to imitate? Any thoughts?
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
DepthCharge

I made an error in my early post and what really wanted to say: would it be possible to do a spolight on James Cameron mechs an robots influence in movies such as avatar terminater and aliens.
The Fowl Sorcerous

what do you think the announcement of Turn A Gundam being licensed for US release bodes for other unlicensed Gundam series? Also if Gundam X get licensed does that mean Soul Bro's petition worked? And will he do a victory dance in vindication of all the teasing he has suffered at his co-host's ribbing on the subject?
[[lorem ipsum]]
Dollow

With HDTV and Blu-rey movies being made, I have notice the black bars are almost completely gone now. How do you feel about the bars being not there in the video? It feels weird to me as my mind still thinks the video was once in full screen and not wide screen.

I was reading about Unicorn and something hit me, we know that Chris knows what happened to Amuro and Char at the end of CCA, but would any of you like an official story (Unicorn or something else) from Sunrise on what happend to them?

If you could have a show or OVA to make a comeback, what would you pick? Example: For me it would be Patlabor, I love it to death.

Who is you favorite animation studio? (Go Production I.G!)
Last edited by Dollow on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
prince_of_zeon

I know you guys have mentioned it on occasion, but what are your thoughts on the pretty good Eureka seveN TV show and the not so pretty good movie? As the show that got me really into anime, I would really like to know your feelings about it.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Furious Rodimus

What lines of dialogue from Gundam have really stuck with you for their sheer awesomeness, and which have stuck with you for their utter craptitude?
It's the stronger who create the weaker!

I am the (Color) (Object/Natural Element), Ace of (Organization) Fear Me!
Dollow

With the new Gundam 00 Trailer out, I was wondering if the Gundamn had any predictions about what might happen in the Gundam 00 movie or how you feel about the movie with the new Gundam 00 Trailer? As it seems like it's going to a place that Gundam has ever gone before (I.E. ELS).
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
yazi88

Since there is a Gundam and Tetsujin 28 statue in Japan, would there be a chance for a Mazinger statue with the Mazinger Z doing his pose for Rocket Punch or Breast Fire?

Also can Neo do his news while impersonating Dennis? I can't get enough of Dennis. He's so much better than the Robotech narrator.
Vent Noir

yazi88 wrote: Also can Neo do his news while impersonating Dennis? I can't get enough of Dennis. He's so much better than the Robotech narrator.
God, please no. It was funny in small doses. This episode the Dennis voice was overused and got annoying.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Since this is the mailbag I'm just going to make a small comment and leave it at that unless I have a mailbag entry.

"moderation is the key"

That goes for Dennis voice.