Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
jcncasval76

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

I have seen far more Japanese anime series than most Americans (since I've seen at least 40 anime series in Hong Kong), so why is some birdbrain who made a garbage statement claiming watching anything else means they don't know anime? To top that question off, for all these times that ADV's been pimping Evangelion as the "Greatest Anime Series of all time", do you believe Evangelion is also the MOST HYPED & OVERRATED anime series of all time?

Also, speaking of the most overrated anime series, what is your "TOP 3" most hyped & overrated anime series of all time?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Bob Smith

Hey guys,

Turn-A Gundam is probably my favourite franchise entry because of what it does with the core ideas of the series while also having a neat alternate history/retro-future setting.

Imagine if there was to be a "Turn-A Macross," using the same idea of radical mech designs, an unusual setting and interesting characters. What would you put in it?
My Sprite Art - I take requests!
thehod

Greetings Gundamn! crew

I would like to know in your own opinion if Soul Bro's man were a mobile suit what would it be?

My choice is the Methus.
CidHighwind

If you had to pick one opening and closing theme from any past Gundam series to be used for every future series here on out, which would it be, and why?
Mr Bushido

When I looked at the review of Gundam Unicorn on RandomCuriosity, I see a couple of comments saying things like: "There aren't any cute girls in Unicorn." or "The character designs are bad so therefore Unicorn isn't good." When I see these types of comments, I get frustrated because it seems to me that these viewers are only looking for fan-service material and care so less for story. This kind of relates to SEED and SEED Destiny where the character designs are of the bishounen type where these designs become a contributing factor for it being popular as well as any latest anime titles like K-ON! which focuses on "moeness" (which is also popular among the new generation of anime fans).

So my question is, what do you think of these types of comments that dismisses Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn as being a not so good anime because of the lack of cute girls and character designs?
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Bob Smith

Apologies if this one has already been asked, but here goes:

Many modern anime OPs tend to be popular songs thematically linked to the show's premise (for example, Macross Frontier's "Triangular" referring to the love triangle, so it seems), while older shows tended to have an OP directly about how awesome the show was (like Tobe! Gundam, or the SDF Macross theme.)

Which do you prefer? The old style or the new? And would something like 00 be more or less awesome if it had an oldschool super robot style OP?

-

My second question:

Which mecha show, would you say, offers the most convincing and appealing futuristic society to live in, and which has the laziest setting in terms of creating an interesting future?
My Sprite Art - I take requests!
skyknight

OK,

I'm ordering Gundam 00, Code Geass (both seasons for each), and other anime from Amazon. All of them that I previously watch on another media, thus it leads to a couple of questions.

First off, when you do watch the licensed DVD's, do you watched in both Sub and Dubbed? Do you pay attention to the fonts of the subtitles and timing?

Next one, which I think is important, is when you see the anime for the 2nd, 3rd... time, what mind set do you bring in, especially when you have to re-write the reviews for the anime that you have seen. I'm sure most of you know that I was disappointed in Code Geass: R2, and I am trying to give it a second look with the DVD's.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Halite

So I started watching ZZ and I wanted to know why the everyone's cockpits keep getting stuck open when they are fighting on Shagri-la. Even Fa, who is as close to a seasoned pilot as the Argama has, can't close the Zeta's. It's really a good think that Judau and Mashymre didn't start fighting in space or they'd have been sucked right out!
Last edited by Halite on Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcncasval76

Gentlemen,

Almost 2 years since your show discussed the anime industry. I wonder if you would give us an update on the status of the anime industry since the last discussion almost 2 years ago? Also, during the Hater's panel last year, you have mentioned that Central Park Media went out of business, would you mind to give us some speculation on how they took themselves out as such?

Keep up the good work ....

Planet JCN, the long-time (more than 25 years) anime fan from Hong Kong since the 1980s ....
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
hotlimit

Is there a Japanese fan-websites comparable to MAHQ (in terms of Gundam contents only, not necessarily all mecha shows)? Are there any prominent non-English websites that have the wealth of Gundam information that MAHQ does? Do you think Japanese Gundam fans would be impressed by MAHQ or the Gundamn! podcast?
MrVince

1. This is most likely a topic for Gundamn! Confidential 2 as it's a "hoper and dreamer" question. Do you think a dubbed syndicated US release of the original MSG movies immediately followed by Zeta Gundam in mid-to-late 80s would have proven financially or culturally successful with an American kid audience? I'd like to hear your thoughts as to why this wouldn't have worked.

2. This is a more realistic hopeful question. Exosquad was a good demonstration of Americans capable of making an original mecha series which caters well to an American audience. Then IGPX was released which wasn't so inspiring but did show there was some interest out there. Do you think we can expect to see a new American animated mecha series?

Thanks
Last edited by MrVince on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halite

What do you each think Tomino's plan for Char's return in ZZ was if Char's Counterattack never got the green light?

Would we have seen him in silly situations like Noa Bright? Would he have been AUEG or Neo Zeon? Would Amuro Rei have come back? What would the future of Gundam been without Counterattack?
rainman72090

i was recently rewatching my copy of gundam unicorn and noticed something significant that i believe most of us missed. at the beginning of the ova, we are shown the founding of the universal century, with the prime minister of the earth federation at his home, in space. this seems rather jarring when you realize that for all previous works set in the universal century, had the earth government living on earth, yet we clearly see the prime minister living on a colony. could this mean that originally the government of earth was going to be in the colonies, but his death at laplace caused the earth government to fear the idea of living in space?
VF1SValkyrie

I have a couple of questions.

1. As my user name indicates, I'm a big fan of Macross. As stated in episode 46, the probability of any Macross series getting licensed is the next best thing to zero. My question is this: Since both Japan and North America share the same Blu-ray region, what are the odds of there being a (non-Engrish) English subtitle track on the official Blu-ray discs of Japanese series (not necessarily just Macross)? I would love to show my support by legally importing a series, and it seems like a relatively simple way to increase revenue.

2. There are no import stores near where I live. Do you have a preferred online import store that you could recommend? I've tried importing online before, but so far it's all been unlicensed Hong Kong subs (using the term "sub" loosely).

Thank-you very much for your time, and keep up with the good work!
Amuro Ray of v

What do you like and dislike about The Dark Knight?

Edit: Nevermind
Last edited by Amuro Ray of v on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
jcncasval76

For all these times that we (both Gundamn hosts & posters/audiences) have asked this question for numbers of times. And since I have heard so many different answers, so I've decided to quote the question this way (and yes, you are not imagining things):

What is the worst of the worst anime & hollywood titles & anything else, Men In Black 2, Wild Wild West (starring Will Smith), Shadow Chronicles, M.D. Geist, G-Savior or vuvuzela?

Have fun with that. :lol: :twisted:
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yazi88

Since the Gundamn! crew have done spotlights on sci-fi anime like GITS is there a chance you guys might do an anime spotlight on Heat Guy J which has quite a few similarities to GITS SAC and Bubblegum crisis, or even a classic like the hilarious predecessor to Patlabor the ova series Dominion and its sequel NEW Dominion Tank Police. Since I'm going a bit old-school I'll even throw in the timeless gem Appleseed OVA.
TakaTahuNuva

A question that just popped in my head. This one is for Chris.

How do you feel about having the same name as the protagonist from Garzey's Wing, the "Holy Warrior Lord Chris"? Ashamed? Dishonored maybe?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this very important and serious matter.
ohhhh snap
GundamMaker01

Hey Chris,
I was just curious when you and the other hosts of Gundamn! were going to have another episode with Bill Whipton. In my opinion, that was one of the funniest episodes recorded, and I can only imagine the hilarity that would ensue if you brought him back.

Just Curious,
GundamMaker01
I can't stand the weak; They're always nervous about when they'll be next attacked. They can't trust anybody and they never have an opinion of their own. I can't stand such people!

"Hey Nicol! Batter Up!!!" - Kira Yamato

Crestborne

Bah-weep-Graaagnah wheep ni ni bong, Gundamn! (The Universal Greeting)

In the grand scheme of things, there are two powerful Robot/Mecha series in America.

Gundam and Transformers.
(Some point to Power Rangers, but it's a Half-Mecha, half-people-wearing-spandex series and so not relevant to my question)

When you ask Anime fans abroad, you'll get one of these as their favorite Robot shows. (Eva? What the hell is Eva? Isn't she some dead Spanish singer?)

Do you think that if an American company teamed up with Bandai (Like Takara did with Hasbro) and created the first American Gundam show, pumped out Toys, bed sheets, and a new show on Cartoon Network, could that be what Gundam needs to get that good reboot or restart to gain more popularity here in the states?
And do you think the show would work?

Crestborne
MAHQ's Official Resident Brony
Co-Host - Ex Vs The Gundamnation w/ Soulbro
Wheel Of Doom Stream - Monday 7pm EST
twitch.tv/powerborne