Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
m121akuma

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

For this post, I PROMISE I will not ask Soul Bro any fighting game related questions (I DID just leave a doozy over in the Fighter's Ready drop box though, so I look forward to the response for that).

So...Neo and Chris, what are YOUR favorite fighting games?

On a more serious, on-topic question for all three of you: How do you guys handle your shopping at conventions? Are you a bit more willing to spend money on things you may not otherwise purchase, or do you try to avoid purchases that you weren't interested in before you walked in the dealer's room door? Do you give yourself a budget before going to the con, or do you just play it by ear? Also, what is your most prized con purchase?
Mr Bushido

1) Which is worse? The ELS or the Borg?

2) I've been playing Star Wars The Old Republic MMO and I've been following the updates on their main site and their facebook page. As usual you have your constant complainers bitching how the game sucks even though it's now only 4 months old and goes as far as saying they're unsubscribing because with a previous patch, Siths can use blue/green colored lightsaber crystals and Jedis can use red calling it destroying the lore. My question is, not just with this game specifically but with all games, why do these morons keep shitting on anything new, and threaten to cancel their subscription or stop playing for even the smallest reason even though no one gives a shit. I realize that with any new thing coming out you will have that divide in public opinion but I want to know what drives them to hate X item. Why must they push themselves to hate something that's less than half a year old.

3) What are your thoughts on the pricing for the Unicorn ep 5 Blu-ray on Amazon? Me personally I thought the pricing is disgusting...
Last edited by Mr Bushido on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
angelwingzero

Hey Gundamn! crew, I've got a couple diverse questions today.

1) What are each of your favorite super robots and why?

2) Have any of you seen Shin Mazinger? Its a nice re-imagining of the original story with a surprisingly deep plot, possibly worth a discussion?

3) I also produce a tech podcast for my job. We're having no success getting on the Zune network through their normal submit process. Is there anything else we can try to get up on the Zune outlet?
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Gundamn team.
Got something simple to ask, what are your thoughts of robots or robotics or things along those lines comics?
I'm thinking Western Comics specifically.

You have a few interesting villians and heroes who make use of it.
For instance Sentinels, Spider Slayers, Ultimo, Ultron, the Ghost(Iron Man villian), the Bettle(uses an advanced mechanical flying exoskeleton)

And for the heroes you have like Vision, Cable, Deathlok, Iron Man, War Machine.

I admit I'm not overly familiar with DC though, Marvel has been my thing more.
So what are your thoughts?

Thanks guys and look forward to your answers.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
xaos

Hi Gundamn crew. This question is for the three of you. Yep, all three of you. If giant robots were to be used for military or police purposes what do you imagine they would be realistically be like? Would they be piloted or remote controlled? Would they be in the style of Gundam, Macross or Patlabor or something totally different?
tehprognoob

1. Who would you least want to wake up next to after a drunken night at the bar?

Cima Garahau (the black haired crazy woman from 0083), Flay Allster, Haman Kahn, Kycilia Zabi, that old lady from Unicorn (forgot her name)

2. Does Zabanya Gundam from 00 the Movie outdo Kira in the spam department? It Does have 3 lockon screens.

3. A proxy message relayed from our Dear Leader, Hatsune Miku:

Resistance is Futile
Last edited by tehprognoob on Wed May 02, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Wingnut

tehprognoob wrote:3. A proxy message relayed from our Dear Leader, Hatsune Miku:

Resistance is Futile
Oh crap, he's right!
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Cardinal_Gundam

Here are a few questions for the Gundamn crew:

First I've noticed that a lot of the designs for characters and mecha seem to be very similar to ones from other shows. A few examples I've noticed:
1. Emily looks more than a little like Sayla Mass from MSG
2. The Diva transforms into what could account for a redesign of the White Base, they even refer to it as a "Trojan Horse".
3. The AGE-2 transforms into G-Strider mode similar to the Wave-Rider mode of the Zeta Gundam
4. The AGE-3 image on MAHQ evokes flash backs to the ZZ Gundam. (This might be my imagination stretchign though.
Do you think the show is an homage to the MSG, Zeta and ZZ Gundam series?

For my second question, I want to ask whether you think sci-fi and mecha series benefit or suffer when they don't explain how the technology used in the show's world work. For example, going back to Gundam Age, there hasn't been any explanation about how the mobile suits are powered or proprelled around space, or about why the AGE-System doesn't work on anything except the Gundam, and so far it hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the show.

Thanks for answering my questions and keep on with the awesome show.
J A 38

3 more riveting questions for my favorite 'casters.

1. I just recently rewatched Gundam 00 S2 and then watched the movie for the first time. Whilst I was viewing those, I would listen to the podcast for the episodes I just watched. My question is that I don't think you guys really addressed the whole FeldtxSetsuna thing, so what are your thoughts on that?

2. SoBroul (sic), I recall on an episode of Flip The Script you all talked about The Price is Right, and you in particular said that the show would not work without Bob Barker. So now that Drew has been on the show for a while, what are your thoughts? Has it worked out, or have you proclaimed Drew Carey to be the Anti-Barker?

3. Neo, where is the Larry King School of Journalism located? Is that just what the journalism department at Full Sail is called? Also, if a Journalism school were to have sports teams what would LKSOJ's be called?
Gundam420

Hey Gundamn crew, I was wondering if you guys have seen Sgt. Frog? If so, what are your thoughts on the show? The amount of Gundam references in that show is quite staggering, not to mention one of the characters is voiced by Shuichi Ikeda.

Also, a question for Neo. We all know how much you love Bad Boys II, but what film of Sir Bay's would you say ranks in 2nd for you?
Last edited by Gundam420 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
TheGoose

Hey there guys! Before I get to my questions, I'd like to give you a belated congratulations for doing over 100 episodes. I've been listening to the podcast since 2008 and it's been an entertaining ride these past few years. Thanks for all the hard work. I raise my drink to all of you.

1. When I asked you guys what were some of your favorite moments while doing the podcast back in episode 99, I had originally meant the question to be answered by all of you guys, not just Neo and Chris. Sorry for the confusion and I'll try to be more clearer next time I ask a question. So...Soul Bro, what are your favorite moments while doing Gundam@MAHQ? Since it's been 100 episodes of Gundamn, you don't have any restrictions imposed on you, unlike Chris and Neo when they answered this question.

2. Have any of you seen the new Spider-Man cartoon, Ultimate Spider-Man? If so, what do you think of it so far?

3. Neo, why have you decided to stop reading any news involving Neon Genesis Evangelion during Neo's News? I know you said that since the series was covered in episode 100, it would be pointless. However, episode 100 didn't cover the last two films that are apart of the new Rebuild of Evangelion films. So, why wouldn't you cover any new news that involves those two new films or any other Evangelion related news since you haven't covered all the entries in the series?

Just to note, I am not asking this question to annoy, troll, or anger any of the hosts. I'm saying this because of the one of the questions that was asked about Eva from episode 100. None of the questions that I've asked about Evangelion, from prior mailbags, were ever intended to antagonize any of you guys. I am simply asking this question because I'm curious. Also, Eva is one of my favorite anime (Just one of my favorites. I don't think it's the best show ever) and I'm sad you won't be covering it anymore. I always looked forward to hearing any new relevant, anecdotal, or funny news about it. Though, I'm not saying any of this to sway your minds. I'm simply giving my you guys my honest feelings.

4. Neo, being an Iron Man fan, you must be pretty privy to some of the armor Tony Stark has worn over the years. So, what are some of the armors that you've liked? What armor haven't you liked? Chris, Soul Bro, feel free to give your two cents if you have any.

Once again, congrats on 100 episodes and I hope all three of you succeed in your future endeavors.
Last edited by TheGoose on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Vent Noir

Given your passion for Sir Bay, I have to ask this...

I don't know if you guys watch any of the That Guy With The Glasses videos, but in the Nostalgia Chick's Top Ten Guilty Pleasures, she mentions that she believes that Michael Bay is changing filmmaking in the way that George Lucas did with the original Star Wars trilogy. Do you agree, and would this be a good thing?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
The Fowl Sorcerous

as spin off of the above question; what do you consider to be your guilty pleasure movies and anime?
[[lorem ipsum]]
angelwingzero

Got a Gundam Wing question now that I've read some of Glory of the Losers. Which set of designs do you guys like better for the Wing Gundams? The basically invincible, infinite ammo Okawara TV versions? Or maybe the more militaristic, Katoki versions that switch their equipment to suit their mission, which also eventually upgrade to the Endless Waltz versions?
"So he's wearing an all black pilot suit and you put him in the CRAZY MACHINE. In the mental state that he's already in, does that seem like a good idea?" - My favorite Chris quote.
daigundam lagaan

Have you guys heard of or checked out Shoji Kawamori's AKB0048? If you haven't, it's about an idol group (starring the actual members of the idol group AKB48) performing around the universe in a time where most entertainment is banned, and it has mecha in it. What I want to ask is, What are your thoughts on the show given if you have watched it? If you haven't watched it yet, would this be something you guys would maybe check out in the near future? And finally, have you ever even thought of connecting this even a little with Macross (of course given if you have seen it)?

If this is read, thank you guys! Keep up the good work!
Last edited by daigundam lagaan on Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Still waiting on seeing those tears of time.
haro_meister

Hi! I'm probably the only listener of Gundamn here in the Philippines. Anyway, my question is: if you were to pick a gundam show to be adapted into a live action movie, what would it be? I'm thinking that Gundam 00 is probably the most realistic of them all. Thanks for this awesome podcast and please, invite Austin more often. :-)
Gundam420

haro_meister wrote:Hi! I'm probably the only listener of Gundamn here in the Philippines. Anyway, my question is: if you were to pick a gundam show to be adapted into a live action movie, what would it be? I'm thinking that Gundam 00 is probably the most realistic of them all. Thanks for this awesome podcast and please, invite Austin more often. :-)
No you're not the only one.
PSN: (Japan Account) gundaminator
tehprognoob

Disclaimer:
Spoiler
  • Neither I nor any other Evangelion fan on this board are connected in any way, shape, or form. Whatever irrational posts exist above my own are not necessarily views held by all Eva fans, nor are all Eva fans unable to use Spell-check. This post is not intended as a challenge towards the views held by GUNDAMN! on the subject of Neon Genesis Evangelion, nor is it in any way, shape or form, an attempt to proselytize either the GUNDAMN! hosts or the listeners of GUNDAMN!.
  • All opinions expressed below are regarding the running of the podcast itself and is not a discussion about the relative merits and demerits of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Do not forget: Read the sentences in tiny font
First, I'd like to congratulate you on having at least hit all of Eva's major sore spots. However, I'm afraid that I was disappointed by how you allowed yourself to fall to the level of the "trolls." I had expected an intelligent, calm dissertation of the pros and cons of Eva, followed by a final passing of judgement, which would explain to me the reasoning behind the views held by GUNDAMN!. Instead, there was a brief description of the core of the cast, and then it's right onto the rage train making brief local stops at each of Eva's problems. It did not feel like the GUNDAMN! that was so reasonable during the magazine-scan drama of Gundam (R)AGE.

I would have liked a greater emphasis on the rather major plot and problems with character development that Eva had. Those were huge. The podcast mentioned them, but with far too little detail when, in fact, they are Eva's most vulnerable weak points. You addressed them, but they were not the focus of the attack, when they ought to have been. Why talk about bad corporate behavior and a bad fandom when you could have devoted the largest portion of the podcast to specific instances of bad writing? You were, in your own words
Chris wrote: ...rambling as Eva itself.
(1)

Still a decent episode; 'twas refreshing to hear a dissenting voice on the subject of Evangelion. Thank you for reviving my somewhat cooled passion for that show.

Footnotes:
Spoiler
(1). Chris, GUNDAMN! Episode 100: Neon. Genesis. Evangelion. 1:46:53-56
(2). Most of us go by the Platinum Edition when it comes to the TV episodes, I think.
(3). I guess I just like vague, open endings?
A quick thought:
Gainax is a company. It exists to make money. It doesn't exist to please you. IIRC the fact that entertainment is not for the sake of the fans was spoken by you yourselves.

In the end, whatever we say here, Gainax still gets the last laugh.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

eanetdude

1. I don't remember any discussion about Outlaw Star. I just started watching it this month after happily putting on my nostalgia glasses with Toonami's return. I'm really digging the enthusiastic characters and art style. What does the Gundamn crew think of this series, did you catch it during the Toonami era? Please skip this if you've already discussed it.

2. Regarding mecha anime tropes, have there been any tropes that have been invented in the past decade that have seemed to catch on somewhat?
YokozunaBulldozer

HELLO!

Aside from the ZOIDS series I cannot recall a lot of mecha shows that have non-humanoid mechas as the main feature. Can you guys remember any shows where non-humanoid mechas were the main focus, and if so, which ones did you guys like? Also, what type of non-humanoid mecha would you guys like to see as the protagonist's weapon of choice in the future?

P.S. Thanks for picking my question regarding the Char Custom. Here are a few other Char Customs I found after listening:

CHAR CUSTOM SCOOTER
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwlah ... o1_500.jpg

CHAR CUSTOM ZAKURELLO
http://www41.tok2.com/home/yaccho/guest/hishozakur2.jpg

CHAR CUSTOM TANK (with three times the firepower)
http://2chart.fc2web.com/2chart/pic/sha ... sensha.jpg
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER