Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

Hey Gundamn guys.
Just got 3 question things for the mailbag, 3 short ones.

Question 1.
Neo this question is for you since you missed it in episode 83, the question of hate.(your allowed to channel the General)
Which one is worse in your opinion Rahxephon or Witch Hunter Robin?
I have to get an answer from you rather then Mr Guanche who usurped your mailag and is a supposed mind reader/newtype, I would like to have your answer please.

Question 2.
What is the funniest nickname for a mecha you guys have heard or know of or even created?
For instance one I like Gundamn introduced is for Ideon, 'the God of GMs' and it makes sense.

Question 3.
So as per one of Timbernewtype's mailbag questions if 'the Straight talk express' runs on hate, wouldn't it be properly renamed 'the hate talk express'?
Not to mention Austin, Shouji Ramuro, Emperor Palpatine or Troll would hijack it.
We haven't heard from Troll in a while, Emperor Palpatine seems to have made an unofficial return on Shinjuku Station at the movies.

That is all I've got for mailbag entries, keep up the good work guys, look forward to your answers and interesting topics.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 am, edited 11 times in total.
awesome78

Hey gundamn crew got a quick questions for all of you:
What does bandai have to do for you to stop watching Gundam forever? I don't mean that they give money to you or bribe you in anyway but a show in the Gundam series that is so bad that it makes you want to stop watching the Gundam franchise forever?
Mu La Flaga

I'm going to move this comments entry further down the page and let other people go in front of me.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Frenchman is playing the great scyther today. He's got one quick question about deaths in animes.

You guys have talked about almost any kind of deaths as possible... but what about unsastifying deaths?? Have any character's death's been so... dissapointing, you wish you could bring them back to life to kill them off again in a even more gruesome way.

As for my victim today, I brought Rolo back to life and killed him during the first episode of R2. He tried to brought Lelouch back to him after he regained his memories, but Kallen happened to radiowave him with the Gurren MK. II... My job (and good act to the nation) was done for the day.

(As usual, forgive my english)

Keep up the good work, Gundamn! Nation.

TSRL, out.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
Red Zeta

What would you consider to be the most mistreated machine in Gundam. What immediately comes to mind for me is Kou trashing the Zephranthes before the refit for space. That or the methuss

2. Have there been any series, gundam of otherwise, in which you prefered the original mecha(s) over the season 2/mid-season upgrade mechas? For example, I liked the Strike much more than the Freedom, or Code Geass R1 Knightmares over the R2 versions
Last edited by Red Zeta on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
This signature is three times wittier than the average signature.
Mr Bushido

1) Alright since you mentioned that as time passes, SEED's in development hell movie will hardly have much impact. Would you say that this is heading in the direction of Robotech?

2) In nightmare land, how would you feel if Gundam was somehow now owned by Harmony Gold or 4kids?

3) I know Neo "challenged" the Heart and Soul guy to come on Gundamn and Chris quickly said no. After listening to episode 83, would you ever consider inviting Doug Bendo and have a debate on Robotech vs Macross? Personally I would very much enjoy listening if this ever happened I doubt it would.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
awesome78

1) What is your favorite mech design out of all the Gundam shows?

2) When you do the sound clip for 'Judau and the Junkyard Kids' commercial where did you get the dubbed voices for the characters for Gundam ZZ, because as far as my knowledge goes the show was never released outside of Japan so what gives? Is there a secret dub out there that only you guys know but everyone else doesn't?

Thanks in advance.
Nick Izumi

Hey guys,
Its the "mysterious" Nick Izumi again and I have a strange Gundam pet peeve to ask about.

I own the Gundam movie DVDs, but I was very very distressed with the audio. Not only because they did not include the english dub I grew up with, (which while the technobable and translation were bad, it had some great actors) but mostly because the soundtrack had been gutted and rearranged for the Special Edition release.

Don't get me wrong, I like the movies fine, but I want to see the original cut and I don't like Bandai George Lucasing my product. Do you think the movies with ever be released on DVD with their proper soundtrack?
I AM A MAN!!! *PUNCH*
I review stuff with MS Paint. www.youtube.com/nickizumi
Mu La Flaga

Hey guys.
No big questions this time rather comments, surprise, surprise.

After episodes 83's mailbag I have to say to Chris stop being lazy when it comes to thinking of real robot series to recommend. :P
You could have at least thought of something like say Strain which you have mentioned only in brief 1-2 times on the show and I have watched thanks to you mentioning it.
At least Soul Bro went 4 for 4 with his answers.

So yeah I want to thank Soul Bro for getting me in to and watching DaiGuard from Flip the Script clips and mentioning it on Gundamn.
And Chris for getting me in to and watching Strain by mentioning it, also screw your laziness! :P

Thanks guys, keep up your entertaining podcast.
Dollow

If you had to design a Valkyrie based on a real life fighter jet (Like the F-22 Raptor) or design one that was completely original, how would you make it look?

For all of us who were not there at the time, could you talk about the Coliseum?

Thank you
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
animalia

This question is directed to Chris: In your review of Episode 1 of the original Mobile Suit Gundam you said that animation doesn't matter to you that what you care about is Characters and story, but on several episodes of this podcast you go on and on about the virtues of HD & Blu-Ray, I am wondering how do you explain this seeming incongruity?
Arbiter GUNDAM

A few questions for you guys!

1. What do you think might be the next evolution of Macross ships that will come after the New Macross-class?

2. Why is it that Macross has been less prolific than Gundam?

3. And one purely for Soulbro--You think Ryu should settle down with Chun-li, have a few kids and stop all this Wandering Warrior jazz? :)

4. I don't know if you allow cross-podcast questions but I'd like to hear what Pedro would have to say if he's seen this: Have you seen the British comedy sci-fi series Red Dwarf?

5. Had to include one more because I was listening to the "What would you change in Macross segment?" and the review for The False Songstress movie and I GOTTA ask Neo this question. Okay, hypothetical situation: You're tied to a chair with no way to escape. Across from you, tied back to back are Ranka Lee and an unrepentant serial killer. You have a choice. If you choose Ranka or the murderer, that person will be killed and you and the other will go free. If you don't choose, you all die. What do you do? Now think about this seriously, I don't want any snap judgements. :)
Last edited by Arbiter GUNDAM on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
The Loser Villain

Hey Gundamn!

I've been listening since the beginning of the show and finally had a question to ask for the mail bag. Or at least an observation.

I just finished watching the preview clip of Gundam AGE posted onto the MAHQ twitter feed and is it just me, or do some of the character designs look like they stepped out of the Leiji Matsumoto universe. Particularly the mechanic character, the captain Grudech Aynor and a few others. They seem to posses a look that is usually seen in Space Battleship Yamato, Galaxy Express 999, etc.

The Loser Villain

P.S.

I was in Japan in January for a study abroad on Japanese Film and Media and met Shiro Sasaki who was the Music Director of Cowboy Bebop and a multitude of shows. He gave a lecture on the history of anime and explained his involvement in anime. I PMed Soul Bro about it, but he never got back to me. I was hopping he would have while I was in Japan because I was going to try and arrange an interview for the show. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to.
"Kamille, if it wasn't for you...." Jerid's last words

"You bastard... You don't get it! I'm... I'm special! I'm famous! I'm the king of mock battles!" Patrick
TheGoose

Hello there guys, here are some more questions to keep the mailbag nice and heavy. Though, I hope that if Soul Bro is reading any of the questions, he doesn't skip any of them like he did last time in episode 83. :twisted: Just kidding ya, Soul Bro, everyone can make a mistake.

1. (The question Soul Bro forgot to read) Stylistically speaking, are there elements from American comics that you like over manga (writing, art styles, etc.) Also, are there elements from manga that you like over American comics?

2. I know that Chris and Neo have both called Neon Genesis Evangelion overrated (sorry, Soul Bro, I can't recall in any of the previous episodes if you felt the same way), but do any of you think that there is a part of the series that was actually innovative (in a good way) in the mecha genre or, anime, in general. Just to note that I'm only talking about the original series and not the other versions that have come out after it.

3. Soul Bro, I remember you mentioning in one of the past episodes that you felt that the definitive version of Evangelion was the manga by the character designer of the series, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Why do you feel this way and, in what ways, is the manga superior to the series? Chris, Neo, feel free to throw your two cents in if you have any.

4. What do you guys think of the new Thundercats cartoon?

5. Have you guys ever seen any animated movies by director, Ralph Bakshi (Lord of the Rings, Fritz the Cat, Wizards, Cool World, etc.)? If so, what did you think of them?

6. What do you enjoy the most from recording and being apart of Gundamn!@MAHQ?
Last edited by TheGoose on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
awesome78

Hey look Chris's favorite video game series and favorite shounen anime is getting a crossover:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... 3-revealed
kayone73

I don't think has been asked yet but I could be wrong.

Have any of you seen the the japanese drama series 'Densha Otoko' aka 'Train Man'? If you have then it's obvious why I asked and for those who haven't the TV series in particular (not the movie so much) is an anime otaku who happens to be a hardcore Gundam fan specifically. The show itself shows his room which is packed with gunpla and anime figurines and numerous gundam in jokes sprinkled throughout the series.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Gundam Trio only kind of big mailbag entry this time.
Not trying for a "Mu Magitude" by the way I claim that term of mine.

So here is my question, I'm curious on what your experiences with Transformers series are setting aside these entries you've mentioned or discussed on Gundamn before.
G1, the G1 movie, the Michael Bay movies, Prime and Animated which have been mentioned at least.
I myself am quite versed in Transformers not just the shows themselves, I've seen everything from G1 up until Energon(with the exception of Beast Wars 2 and Neo)
And read a fair few of the comic series Marvel, Dreamwave and IDW have done.

Also I understand the pain of seeing Gee Wunners aka the hardcore stuck timelocked fans.

So my quick opinions on them.
But this is a small note for Chris, if you don't want to read the descriptions just read out the names to make it shorter for time constraints.

Beast Wars: very well made and good continuation post G1, had some well written stories and characters.

Beast Machines: my opinions on this lean towards hating it because it develops characters in odd ways, weird colourful designs and not to mention the end result for the G1 to Beast era/Original continuity.

Robots In Disguise: was a fresh back to basics type series after Beast Machines more in lines with G1 stuff with nothing too gimmicky unlike Armada and Mini-cons.

Armada: Got a little gimmicky with Minicons, but I enjoyed the 2nd half with Unicron and Sideways and all that stuff.

Energon: This one I didn't mind but the CG was off putting and it was a little odd and very gimmicky with all Autobots being able to Powerlink/combine.

So what are you opinions and experiences with the other transformers entries and have you read any of the comics or not been bothered?
Also I will say have seen Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory, but I didn't want to make the list too long.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work, getting closer to the 100 epsiode mark slowly but surely.
NastyNate

Whose is your favorite Main Character from a Gundam and a Macross series?

Whose is your least favorite Main Character from a Gundam and a Macross series?

What do you guys think of Samurai 7 and do you plan on doing an anime round up of it?
If you did watch the show then what was your favorite moment? Mine would have to be when Katsushiro gets his first kill and goes hard corp awesome from that point on.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mr Bushido

1) Something for fun. This is for everyone. You have to kill one of two people:
Soul Bro:
Saji Crossroad or Emma Sheen

Neo:
Michael Bay or Shuuichi Ikeda

Chris:
Nina Purpleton or Kira Yamato

Since I'm still in a Star Wars fix,

2) Seeing as how with the Blu-ray release of both the prequel and original trilogies of Star Wars, of course Lucas made "changes" again. With the change he did to RotJ involving Darth Vader and Soul Bro will know what I'm talking about, how do you feel about it? Cause I'm not a happy camper when I saw this.
Last edited by Mr Bushido on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
raijinz

Sup Gundamn crew, got a jokey question for you this time:

Does Char's relationship to his younger sister Sayla be a direct or indirect cause of the "Onii-chan/Onii-Sama/Big Brother" craze that is going on in Anime these days?

Its just that recently watching MSG, Sayla seemed like a pretty level-headed and normal woman until Char shows up, reducing her to a dribbling emotional mess calling for her big brother not to leave her behind again.

Could that also be a reason for the rumors of Char's love of the lolis? He just misses being the Onii-chan to a cute girl in a mobile suit?

Keep up the good work!
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx