Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.

Moderators: hawk of endymion, Spidey62, Soul Bro Ryu

User avatar
Soul Bro Ryu
Podcast Superstar*
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Soul Bro Ryu » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 043 - "Let's Fire!!!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 115 min., 5 sec. (1:55:05) - 52.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:15:07

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:15:07 - 0:15:42

04. 1st Segment: "Macross Round-up - Macross 7" (TV Series)
Runtime: 0:15:42 - 1:01:56

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:01:56 - 1:02:45

06. 2nd Segment "What Would You Change in Gundam? - The Second Decade"
Runtime: 1:02:45 - 1:45:07

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:45:07 - 1:46:37

08. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:46:37 - 1:55:05

Get ready to rock like Katz as we finally hit you with our Macross Round-up of the Space Rock n' Roll Opera of "Macross 7". Then we continue the second part of our discussion about what we would change in Gundam, this time touching upon the series, OVAs & movies of the 90's!

BTW, MechaTalk.net's own Alex "Snoops619" Benson has just started his own ensemble podcast! He and his motley crew of fellow Englishmen - Scott Horne, Jordan Richards & Jack Maxfield - have come together to form the Unpopular Kulture podcast! Join their roundtable discussions about all different forms of media fandom: Anime, Video Games, TV, Movies, and much, much more! For more information, peep the links:

- Main Website: http://unpopularkulture.blogspot.com/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/UKcast
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SoulBroRyu#/gro ... 0665799676

Episode Two of is up and running! Check out UK and let Snoops know what you think of it! I enjoyed it, and I hope you guys will too!

Thanks for listening & Happy Holidays!
Soul Bro Ryu
SBRmahq@gmail.com

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml


Feedback:
GundamnMAHQ@gmail.com
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu

User avatar
CanadaMan
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Hongcouver
Contact:

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by CanadaMan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:01 pm

That intro had me laughing the entire time, nice stuff there!

Good Gundam change discussion, you all changed what I would have changed from pretty much each series, minus G since I couldn't really get into that series.

And to think that there's only two more episodes of the Macross Roundup to go before it's all over ... these Roundups seem to fly by.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter

User avatar
jabman025
Defender of DESTINY
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: St. Louis MO

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by jabman025 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Neo.....you forgot to give me credit for my link to the Gundam Christmas tree.......you bastard..... :twisted:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025

User avatar
Vent Noir
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Vent Noir » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 am

I's been a while since I've seen Macross 7. I had a hard time getting into it - Basara's whole "singing to the enemy" thing was a stumbling block for me, and I never grew to like him as a character. But once I got past the stumbling blocks at the beginning, I actually got to quite enjoy it. It will never be one of my favourite mecha shows, but I'll never say it's one of the worst, either.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".

User avatar
V2Buster
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by V2Buster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I guess now Neo knows why Tommy Yun of Harmony Gold, who co-wrote and produced Shadow Chronicles, got a pie in the face at an anime con a couple of years ago. Shadow Chronicles is that bad.

And to answer Soul Bro's question, the dickish Colonel from Macross 7 was Colonel Barton.

User avatar
Vent Noir
Okawara x Katoki Love Child
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:30 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Vent Noir » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:27 pm

I actually kind of liked Shadow Chronicles. Of course, Maia Sterling was a big part of what I liked about it...

BTW, aside from the "King Arthur" and "Lelouch dies!" references, mahq.net also got listed under Crowning Moment Of Awesome (the Gundam section) for the Seed sequel April Fools joke.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".

User avatar
snoops619
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:08 am
Location: England

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by snoops619 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks for the support Soul Bro. And Neo - I accept your challenge. Beam-Pistols at dawn unless you be too yellow-bellied. =P
Haha, if only we were competition. And we'd be ecstatic to have any or all of you on when we do eventually cover Gundam or Code Geass (or both).

I really enjoyed the show. Having only seen Gundam Wing, Endless Waltz and a few episodes of X, I haven't much to say but in general, I agree with most of your sentiments. I don't have a lot for Wing, but I do think that if anyone shouldn't have been killed, it should have been Quatra because he didn't bring anything to the show. The ending to Endless Waltz was ridiculous and too idealistic and considering that the Movie had been good, it kinda spoilt it. X seemed good from what I saw so to be told that it didn't get a full run is a bit of a downer.

Thanks again for the plugs, and remember - we don't talk funny, we talk correctly. Hail Britannia.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.

User avatar
skyknight
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by skyknight » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 pm

Dude, I thought you guys were in the middle of recording 60 minutes, except you're missing Homer Simpson knocking the door with an axe! :D

Macross 7, oh it has been over ten years since I saw it on TV in Taiwan, yeah, do have some memories of it. It was actually one of the few animes that got licensed and broadcast within a year after the original JP release; as mentioned in Ep.042 Taiwan did have clean its bootleg and counterfeiting side, and JP did allow more access to new animes to come in. And in the Taiwan TV broadcast, you did have the option to listen the original JP dub using the MTS on your TV.

Like you guys, my cousins didn't really like Mac7, as it was totally different from the previous Macross series. One did complain the lack of a sexy lead lady in the series, I guess no love for Mylene! The battles were never interesting, and I was kinda put off by the human-alien affection in between Basara and (whom?). And most of the music was pop-rock, with guitars, drums, and heavy beats, which does offer a sharp contrast to the pop songs in the previous series. The colors for the Valkyries are probably the most vibrant in all Macross series, flaming red, blazing purple..., which does strongly de-empathize the military theme.

I'll stop here and come back later for 90's Gundam.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100

Taekmkm
Mecha Flunky
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Taekmkm » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:09 am

Looking back, it's really amazing all the great shows Sunrise made during the 90's. So many Gundam shows, plus Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, it was really at its prime wasn't it?

I agree Wing was basically old guys telling the Wing Boys to get off their lawn. Multiple times. Probably works if you made it a slice of life Dennis the Menace style.

User avatar
hawk of endymion
Ill-informed Newscaster
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA
Contact:

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by hawk of endymion » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:29 pm

V2Buster wrote:I guess now Neo knows why Tommy Yun of Harmony Gold, who co-wrote and produced Shadow Chronicles, got a pie in the face at an anime con a couple of years ago. Shadow Chronicles is that bad.

Sounds like he got off pretty light. I tried to watch but just couldn't. Why waste my time of something like that when there's better out there.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

neomahq@gmail.com

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke

User avatar
Ohmygodiamonfire
Lackey GM Pilot
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Ohmygodiamonfire » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Great, now I want an image of that shirt Chris was talking about.
ShadowCell wrote:"...we'll, uh, do the same thing that the original Neue Ziel did."
"Which is...?"
"Crash into stuff."
"...oh."

User avatar
speedstriker
Newtype Emo Guy
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:44 am

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by speedstriker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:07 am

I knew I wasn't wrong for placing my hope in this episode being out before Christmas! Soul Bro's speed and consistency is improving. Thanks for the episode, guys!

Edit: Forgot this episode is going to cover Macross 7! Can't wait!
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?

User avatar
skyknight
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:30 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by skyknight » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm

On to 90's Gundam:

What a coincident, my bro was playing Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2, and he was wondering what happened in the 1990's where we missed out on pre-G Gundam. So he rented a bunch of Gundam on DVD's.

Gotta say the first two: 0083 and F91 were very disappointing. 0083 was a waste for 13-ep series, especially when compare to the 6-ep 0080. The characters weren't colorful nor interesting, so many plot-holes (why Cima, why?), and didn't fit in with the timeline (gee, why is Mark.II such a junk when you already have GP-01~4???). Rewrite the god-damn series, Sunrise!

F91, would like to know how this series would be, even if this was a 13-ep OVA instead of a normal 49-ep series. There was so many moments where you have to yell WTF? What just f**'in happening? just because everything was happening within a short frame of a 2-hr film. Would be awesome if the original work is able to connect to the later Crossbone Gundam manga.

Victory, oh boy, oh... It seems for a few segments that I watch this, I need to watch a few eps of Gintama or Family Guy, just to balance the negative emotions, and I haven't finish the series yet! Dude, a Gundam series shouldn't be this depressing, with death happening too often.

G Gundam, quite controversy with some Asian Gundam fans. Yeah, it does pay tribute to the 70's giant mecha series, but at the same time you do sense the strong JP nationalism in it. My bros and I didn't like each nation having a Gundam, which is worst than 08th MS team IMO, since some designs are just wacky and negative. And of course, the name GOD Gundam, which was changed to Burning Gundam in the North American market. My bro, whom played DW: Gundam 2 even jokes about it, where's your godly powers, God Gundam? Since he said its one of the worst MS to use in the game. Give or take, its up to your taste to decide.

I'll put Gundam W and EW together on this. Would be better to know the background of each Gundam pilot, since the series was very vague on it, and EW showed only bits of it - would be nice to incorporate some of Mission Zero's storyline into it. Cut down the invincible Gundam and one-shot kill grunts element, please. More battles against enemy aces and a more definite final villain, instead of evil org of this arc is welcome, too. The relationship between Heero and Relena should be better defined, though I don't see these two as a couple, please cut out that BS quote about total pacifism at the end of EW.

08th MS team, did post my thoughts on that in the roundtable ep; definitely would like to know what the original script was to be. I have no problems with several down-graded Gundam in a series. IIRC, Advance of Titans did have a plot about putting Gundam heads on GM's to test psychological effects on the enemy. Would be interesting to know if the Zeon really feared the horned MS.

X and Turn-A, just bring the whole series to the world, Bandai, and probably most will forgive you for forcing people to become UC elitist!

Nuff said on G Savior, plus didn't see the film, no need to talk about it.
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100

User avatar
Seraphic
OMG Doomsday Laser
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:56 am
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.
Contact:

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Seraphic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:35 am

Does anyone know Soul Bro's favorite color? I have to decide what color to make Emma's bikini. And no, you can't say "transparent" because I know that'd be an outright lie! :P I'm really swamped with current projects, but a color version will roll by soon enough.

I liked your use of "Legend of Zero" to intro the second segment, Soul Bro. I'm still waiting to hear the ITA Gundam Wing opening though, haha.

I'm sure I had a lot to say, but I'm drawing a blank now.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel

User avatar
Soul Bro Ryu
Podcast Superstar*
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 pm
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Soul Bro Ryu » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Seraphic wrote:Does anyone know Soul Bro's favorite color? I have to decide what color to make Emma's bikini. And no, you can't say "transparent" because I know that'd be an outright lie! :P I'm really swamped with current projects, but a color version will roll by soon enough.

I liked your use of "Legend of Zero" to intro the second segment, Soul Bro. I'm still waiting to hear the ITA Gundam Wing opening though, haha.

I'm sure I had a lot to say, but I'm drawing a blank now.
Royal Blue, for certain. Navy Blue is a close second ^_^

Thanks for the props on the music and to everyone, thanks for the many replies, guys!

BTW, you'll be hearing that Italian Gundam Wing opening in the near future on Gundamn! The next episode will be another Fire Bomber musical explosion, however. Strap-in!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu

User avatar
jabman025
Defender of DESTINY
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: St. Louis MO

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by jabman025 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:42 pm

Hey, I finished the episode! Yeah I know I took awhile.

Anyway I pretty much agree with with everything said about changes to gundam in the 90's. I will say that I liked the ending of 8th MS team as is, I would toss out the last episode as it really was not needed. I would like to get rid of the whole newtype dolphin story from After War Gundam X as it was just not needed and was pretty weird. I wish Turn A gundam would have moved a little faster in the middle of the story. For a good time this show is just dull. Once the get into space things really pick up and get interesting again, I just wish we could get there about 10-15 episodes earlier.

Anyway I am looking forward to the next episode, I tend to defend Seed Destiny (to a point) and I am looking forward to taking on the the guys at Gundamn as they bash the hell out of it.

P.S. thanks for the props Soul Bro, see ya on Xbox Live.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025

User avatar
hotlimit
Creepy Bishonen
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:20 pm
Location: America

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by hotlimit » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:13 am

Good episode as usual, you guys are just cranking them out!

That intro was great, but you missed one Soul Bro: "I am the lawww!"

User avatar
jcncasval76
Mecha Flunky
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:44 am
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by jcncasval76 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:18 am

skyknight wrote:On to 90's Gundam:

What a coincident, my bro was playing Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2, and he was wondering what happened in the 1990's where we missed out on pre-G Gundam. So he rented a bunch of Gundam on DVD's.

Gotta say the first two: 0083 and F91 were very disappointing. 0083 was a waste for 13-ep series, especially when compare to the 6-ep 0080. The characters weren't colorful nor interesting, so many plot-holes (why Cima, why?), and didn't fit in with the timeline (gee, why is Mark.II such a junk when you already have GP-01~4???). Rewrite the god-damn series, Sunrise!

F91, would like to know how this series would be, even if this was a 13-ep OVA instead of a normal 49-ep series. There was so many moments where you have to yell WTF? What just f**'in happening? just because everything was happening within a short frame of a 2-hr film. Would be awesome if the original work is able to connect to the later Crossbone Gundam manga.

Victory, oh boy, oh... It seems for a few segments that I watch this, I need to watch a few eps of Gintama or Family Guy, just to balance the negative emotions, and I haven't finish the series yet! Dude, a Gundam series shouldn't be this depressing, with death happening too often.

G Gundam, quite controversy with some Asian Gundam fans. Yeah, it does pay tribute to the 70's giant mecha series, but at the same time you do sense the strong JP nationalism in it. My bros and I didn't like each nation having a Gundam, which is worst than 08th MS team IMO, since some designs are just wacky and negative. And of course, the name GOD Gundam, which was changed to Burning Gundam in the North American market. My bro, whom played DW: Gundam 2 even jokes about it, where's your godly powers, God Gundam? Since he said its one of the worst MS to use in the game. Give or take, its up to your taste to decide.

I'll put Gundam W and EW together on this. Would be better to know the background of each Gundam pilot, since the series was very vague on it, and EW showed only bits of it - would be nice to incorporate some of Mission Zero's storyline into it. Cut down the invincible Gundam and one-shot kill grunts element, please. More battles against enemy aces and a more definite final villain, instead of evil org of this arc is welcome, too. The relationship between Heero and Relena should be better defined, though I don't see these two as a couple, please cut out that BS quote about total pacifism at the end of EW.

08th MS team, did post my thoughts on that in the roundtable ep; definitely would like to know what the original script was to be. I have no problems with several down-graded Gundam in a series. IIRC, Advance of Titans did have a plot about putting Gundam heads on GM's to test psychological effects on the enemy. Would be interesting to know if the Zeon really feared the horned MS.

X and Turn-A, just bring the whole series to the world, Bandai, and probably most will forgive you for forcing people to become UC elitist!

Nuff said on G Savior, plus didn't see the film, no need to talk about it.
I literally have to call the 0083 movie as a promotional movie for the OVA (i did the reverse in watching these two) and that OVA still looks weak, i concurred with the assessment of Victory Gundam with the first 12 episodes, why are they still stuck at Uso's cabin and that decimated neighborhood? Am I watching "Groundhog Day" or Gundam? Also, I would rather change the frequency of death in that show. I stopped watching it for awhile, and subsequently skipped a few scenes just to get to the finale, and that really kicks in my depression ....
As for G Gundam, i won't change much except not having the Domon-led Shuffle Alliance fight in Hong Kong. then there's Gundam Wing's organizations are perplexing as to who are those kids are fighting against, and i wish Wufei was killed in that duel against Heero in Endless Waltz. Gundam X needs to go back to the original timeslot & have all those missing episodes produced & F91 needs to be lengthened into either OVA or a TV series.
G-Savior should have been made as an alternate calender TV-movie without those hokey cliche, or made as an animated series ....
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)

User avatar
Bullet_beast
Mecha Flunky
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:48 am
Location: Dancing on the Planet Dance
Contact:

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by Bullet_beast » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:47 am

Awesome stuff guys l loved the episode. I haven't finished Macross 7 yet, but it seems awesome so far.

In 0083, at the end when Kou sees Nina I jumped off my couch and was like, "BITCH YOU'RE STILL ALIVE I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!11!!111!".(For some reason I thought she was dead) I wish when the Dendrobium did its epic cannon ramming attack to Cima's Gelgoog, it was done to Nina(by herself) instead, and for added effect have Kou hung by a lynch rope in the Dendrobium's cockpit. :twisted:

As for Gundam Wing, when I first saw this when I was a little kid I liked Wufei, but after seeing it again(now 20) I realized he was the pinnacle of douchbaggery, and I only liked him back then because I liked his Gundam.

Though I'm not done with Gundam X, I say it definitely needed to lose the dolphin episode.

Also Soul bro what exactly is the "experiment" you were talking about?
Shorty From Scary Movie wrote:Yo, party at Cindy's house! DRUNK WHITE WOMEN FOR EVERYBODY!!!

User avatar
UC fan
AEUG Slapping Boy
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Ep. 043 - Let's Fire!!!

Post by UC fan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:50 am

Dag, I never knew there was such venom for the characters in 0083.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest