Ep. 039 - Attack of the Roundups!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 039 - Attack of the Roundups!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 039 - "Attack of the Roundups!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 70 min., 35 sec. (1:10:35) - 39.7 MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:18:27

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:18:27 - 0:19:02

04. 1st Segment: "Gundam Round-up - MS Igloo 2: The Gravity Front"
Runtime: 0:19:02 - 0:34:32

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:34:32 - 0:35:25

06. 2nd Segment "Macross Round-up: Super Dimension Fortress Macross"
Runtime: 0:35:25 - 1:03:55

07. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:03:55 - 1:04:30

08. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:04:30 - 1:10:35

This time we bring you not just one, but two, round-ups! First, the rodeo returns to Gundam as we discuss the latest 3 episodes in the CG OVA series, MS IGLOO 2! Say goodbye to Space Nazis and hello to Fatalistic Feddies! Then, Chris rustles up "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" as we finally kick off our first Macross Round-up!

Also, be on the lookout for Gundamn cameos on other podcasts! In the near future Chris will be appearing on "Solar Radio Wave" while Neo will be joining in on the convo on "Anime Addicts Anonymous". Plus, Valentine & Mitsugi, the co-hosts from Anime Addicts Anonymous will be appearing on a upcoming episode of Gundamn! as well! Both are excellent podcasts as well as our friends at SSAA Podcast, 2G Radio & Tomocast and are well worth the time spent while waiting for new eps of "Gundamn!"

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Tomopop.com - Tomocast - Japanator - Anime Addicts Anonymous - 2G Radio - SSAA Podcast - Solar Radio Wave

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
VentZX

Re: Ep. 039 - Attack of the Roundups!

Oh yay! You guys finally get to MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity EVERYONE DIES Front.

BTW: That intro (Neo's mispronunciations, etc) made me laugh out loud. Thank you.
Vent Noir

I've been looking forward to the Macross roundup!

Good show, as always, guys.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
CanadaMan

An excellent episode, with more roundups! Reminded me of the old days for some reason, with the episode by episode summary of 00, Frontier and Geass.

I'm eagerly waiting for episode 40!
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

VentZX wrote:Oh yay! You guys finally get to MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity EVERYONE DIES Front.

BTW: That intro (Neo's mispronunciations, etc) made me laugh out loud. Thank you.
No Japanese name is safe in my mouth.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Wingnut

MNF spoof starting off the show posted on a Sunday. Coincidence or planned all along? Funny either way.

One thing about Macross that interested me that you guys didn't mention that concerning Quamzin and Laplimiz after the end of Space War I. Although they were just as affected by culture as any other Zentradi and even embraced it to a degree (several mentions of "making culture" together comes to mind), they were still warriors who longed for the battlefield and the old ways of doing things. The only thing different was wanting to work with the Meltrandi instead of competing against them. Ultimately this spelled their end when they made their ill-fated attack run on the Macross at the end of the show.

I wonder if Corematta will somehow make it into the next IGLOO set (if there is one) when the EFF moves into space?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
CanadaMan

hawk of endymion wrote:No Japanese name is safe in my mouth.
Apart from that sound so very wrong, I'm tempted to see how well you'd butcher my name.
Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

CanadaMan wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:No Japanese name is safe in my mouth.
Apart from that sound so very wrong, I'm tempted to see how well you'd butcher my name.
There's only one way to find out.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
skyknight

Will have to pass on IGLOO, since I never saw the series.

Back to Macross, or according to some ignorant people that still calls it Robotech. Wait, first, lets settle this once for all (or at least trying), should the show be called Macross or Robotech? I know ADV did release the original, un-cut version about a couple years ago, but I can't find it now - unless I go on-line, and guess which one clogs the shelf? ROBOTECH!

Heck, I still meet people who insists the American-release series, which includes Southern Cross... as the "official" story, but most of them are also BattleTech/Mech Warriors fans. I wish they could at least watch the original series first. Again, I maybe an idiot for asking this, who actually owns the right of the Macross series and what is preventing the releases of other Macross series?

Macross is one of the series that I wish I have time to watch.

Hey, let's talk about something about merchandising related to Macross/Robotech, anybody know how popular it was back in the 1980's (for US only)? I remember as a young kid, visiting my cousins living in CA, they had a bunch of Robotech model kits that I was never allow to get near! People keep saying that Gundam Wing was the zenith of anime model kits in America, but did Robotech reach that height?

Videogames are evil! NOT!!!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Amuro Ray of v

I like the new Macross Round-up, new I will learn more about Macross that isn't Plus or II. I don't play games as much as I used to, but then I grew up with them in my life, so I understand why he says they are evil. I like the round ups, I can't wait for Plus and II.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
Soul Bro Ryu

CanadaMan wrote:I'm tempted to see how well you'd butcher my name.
At least he'd get your last name right :)
skyknight wrote:Back to Macross, or according to some ignorant people that still calls it Robotech. Wait, first, lets settle this once for all (or at least trying), should the show be called Macross or Robotech? I know ADV did release the original, un-cut version about a couple years ago, but I can't find it now - unless I go on-line, and guess which one clogs the shelf? ROBOTECH!
Oh, Robotech. What a weird trip it's been.

There's two camps when it comes to SDF Macross, there the "Purists" and the "Protoculture Addicts". For the longest while, I was the latter, as I was exposed to Robotech when it originally aired in syndication in 1985. I learned of the original three shows that comprised Robotech in 1988 though when I read a little book called "Robotech Art 1". It had also incidentally exposed me to the term "Anime" and also mentioned a the franchise most of us love called Gundam. Even though I was empowered with this knowledge, it was the Robotech universe I knew best, and what I decided to stick with, reading the novels & comics as well as watching the series Harmony Gold had adapted.

My first brush with Macross outside of the Robotech series was only a few years later when I watched "Do You Remember Love?" in middle school. (My first anime bootleg I borrowed, by the way.) If I could slap my younger self, I would, because he didn't like it one damn bit. Totally immersed in Robotech at the time, I couldn't accept another continuity of the story I grew up with. Still, it was over a decade before I watched "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" in it's true form and before it, I'd be exposed to the lackluster Macross II and the breathtaking Macross Plus. The latter of which, piqued my interest in seeing the original Macross series uncut.

Finally, the nail in the coffin that made me seek out "SDF Macross" was the "Do You Remember Love?" game on the Sega Saturn that I borrowed from a friend. If you were deep in the gaming scene in the late '90s, you imported games or knew friends who did, and I got my hands on any anime-licensed title I could get my hands on. For this game to be based on something remotely connected to Robotech was an added bonus.

It had been ages since I had seen DRYL and when I did, the 13 year old that I was didn't appreciate it. Seeing reanimated & remastered clips from DRYL in the game as I played it as 20-year-old lead me to find the movie again. Needless to say, upon re-watch, I realized how much of a fool I was, borrowing the original SDF Macross series from another and finally seeing what I had been missing out on all that time.

Here I am, now in 2009, that far off year that the SDF Macross space folded to the great beyond and fully exposed to both sides of the Macross coin. On one side, there's Robotech, and how compromised it's version of "The Macross Saga" compared to the original, I still love it, if only on sentiment alone. At the time, the changes that were made to it might have robbed Americans of the true translation, but for the kind of show it was, for it to air in 1985 amongst all the merchandise-heavy animated series, Robotech was a bolt out of the blue. Certainly, it had it's own merchandise to sell, but the drama displayed in "The Macross Saga" was nothing like my 8-year-old eyes had ever witnessed in a cartoon. Life. Death. War. Romance. Obsession. Transforming Mecha. Aliens. Total Devastation. Human Emotion. True Love. As distilled as Robotech was, it showed me that animation was capable of being a lot more than an entertaining toy commercial or anthropomorphic characters engaging in wacky adventures.

On the other side of that very coin, there's the Macross franchise as it was intended. With it's more edgier side restored, I grew into Macross and all it's spin-offs as an adult that could fully appreciate it's uncensored content. Watching SDF Macross was like a family reunion of sorts for me, where I was reunited with all these characters I thought I knew, but this time they were more mature and deeper than before. Where the Robotech saga seems to lose it's luster to me as it marches on from it's point of origin, the Macross universe becomes more enriched with every chapter that unfolds, and therein lies the difference for me.

Robotech and my exposure to it will always be a major footnote in my life. I consider it my first true anime-watching experience and I'll always be grateful to my exposure to it at sure a young age. I'm almost certain that I wouldn't be the Mecha anime fan that I wouldn't be without it. I also see it though as the imperfect translation it is; a relic of a time where anime had to be watered down to coast our airwaves. This doesn't mean I condone Harmony Gold's interference in allowing for the other Macross series to see the light of day here in the states, but that a diatribe for another day. (I'm sure we'll get into that during one of our round-ups...)

Your Robotech-minded friends are probably the ignoramuses that I used to be when it comes to the series true origins. All I can say that exposure to Macross in it's pure form might entice them out of their Robo-exclusivity . Take it from me, a recovering addict.

Now only if I could get those damn names straight. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Vent Noir

I'm a huge fan of Macross, but I can still enjoy Robotech as well.

I have a close friend who prefers Robotech because he says he can't buy the "music saves the human race" thing in Macross. (On a related note, I gather that a lot of Robotech fans are particularly derisive of Macross 7)

One interesting thing that I noted in a post on mechatalk a while back is that society in Macross and Robotech seems to be developing in opposite directions... while in Macross, the Zentradei are integrating with humanity and becoming more cultured, in Robotech, as time goes on, humanity seems to be becoming a more martial society (I guess being invaded four times within 50 years of so will do that). A scene that sticks in my mind is one between Alex and Marcus in Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, where Marcus asks Alex if he ever wondered why he joined the military, Alex says "To impress the girls, right?", and Marcus replies, "The only girls we know are pilots like us". (Incidentally, when I discussed this with a friend, he asserted that the Japanese would never allow humanity to become a warrior society in one of their shows... although come to think of it, Fafner almost did it, although the main protagonists were trying to hold on to normal society as much as they could)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
skyknight

Well, given the wide access to Japanese products these days (regardless of the methods used), I would think that Harmony Gold would lay down their hands if Bandai was to release further Macross series that go beyond the original series. But no, that's why I am questioning the "authenticity" of Robotech, given that the Japanese original has been release in the US.

Its not that I hate Robotech, I still have fond memories of watch bits of it with my cousins, but I wish people would respect and honor the original show as it is. I am pondering what should happen to allow other Macross series to be licensed in the US.

Back to an unanswered question in my previous post, merchandise! I don't know many of us here were just old enough to remember the model kits that were released in the US. As I mentioned before, I still have memories of the kits that my cousins had. Since the series was released in the early 80's, I'm pretty sure the toy design weren't advance as of today (i.e. TF: Animated), and model kits should've played a big role at that time. Any of you that have some memories of the model kits that were released in the US?
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Doctor

Good stuff. Loved the episode. I was aware of the whole Robotech and Macross thing before watching either. I was young enough to not be able to watch Robotech on TV and I never saw Macross. So, I purposely watched Robotech before watching Macross. Since I am older and nostaglia is not an issue, I thought it would be best to judge the shows like that. Results: I only ended up liking the Macross Saga and this before even watching Macross.

Now I have to patiently wait for the Macross 7 roundup.
Kaioshin Sama

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
There's two camps when it comes to SDF Macross, there the "Purists" and the "Protoculture Addicts".
Oh man, for a second there I thought you were going to say the "Sheryl Shippers" and "Everyone Else", but then I remembered that comes later.....maybe.
CanadaMan

Kaioshin Sama wrote:Oh man, for a second there I thought you were going to say the "Sheryl Shippers" and "Everyone Else", but then I remembered that comes later.....maybe.
Wait ... what's wrong with Sheryl?
Twitter
Red Comet90

CanadaMan wrote:
Kaioshin Sama wrote:Oh man, for a second there I thought you were going to say the "Sheryl Shippers" and "Everyone Else", but then I remembered that comes later.....maybe.
Wait ... what's wrong with Sheryl?
I think he meant how some people just like Macross for the possible relationship Sheryl will have with Alto. :?
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Taekmkm

It's just Tae with kay-em kay-em. lol. So many vowels that don't exist.
hotlimit

I had a theory the second I heard about Tomino calling video games evil. Hayao Miyazaki made several comments in an old New Yorker article about how all this modern stuff was destroying young kid's imagination (sorry this is only a small excerpt- http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/0 ... act_talbot )

Recently, Miyazaki has sunk low enough to put his name on a few video games and I think Tomino is grasping for some of that sweet moral high ground by talking crap about them about 20 years too late. I'm sure Tomino would love to be taken as serious world-wide as Miyazaki is.
Destiny_Gundam

Finally got around to listening to this episode.

Neo, it's pronounced "Tech-um-see" (or at least that's how I say it). The town is named after a native american war hero. I haven't lived in Windsor for 17 years, but Tecumseh shares a boarder with the city, and we're considered to be a part of it. If you address a letter to "Windsor" instead of "Tecumseh", it'll still go to the right place. No one knows where Tecumseh is, so it's just easier to say Windsor.

And yeah, Strike Witches is great. It's not my favourite, but it was highly enjoyable. I look forward to buying the DVDs when released.

I still haven't seen the original Macross, and I doubt I ever will. I've only seen some of Robotech, but I have seen DYRL. For me, that movie satifies my desire for the original (I'm well aware of the differences).
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."