Ep. 106 - The Brave and the Butthurt

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 106 - The Brave and the Butthurt

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 106 - "The Brave and the Butthurt"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 152 min., 14 sec. (2:32:14) - 69.7 MB

Join the Conversation about this episode @ Gundamn.net!

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo's News"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:29:05

02. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:29:05 - 0:29:44

03. Second Opinion Games (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:29:44 - 0:30:44

04. 1st Segment: Roundtable Discussion: "Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Episode 5" (OVA)
Runtime: 0:30:44 - 0:58:05

05. Be a Part of "Gundam: Rise From the Ashes"! (Special Manga Project by Eric Keith & Mike Fonteccio)
Runtime: 0:58:05 - 1:00:37

06. 2nd Segment: "The Do's & Don'ts of Fantasy Mecha!" (Discussion - Topic Submitted by Yokozuna Bulldozer)
Runtime: 1:00:37 - 1:42:57

07. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:42:57 - 1:43:47

08. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 1:43:47 - 1:44:59

09. Outro: "Closing/Soul Bro's Shoutouts!/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:44:59 - 2:32:14

Behold the final review for Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn in 2012! Join us as we rap about Episode 5 of the long-awaited OVA series! Then, we discuss a user-submitted topic, delving into Fantasy Mecha series that worked & ones that didn't! Many thanks to Yokozuna Bulldozer for the excellent Topic Suggestion!

Our hearts and thoughts go out to the victims of the July 20th shootings in Aurora, Colorado. For those who are interested in helping the victims please visit these websites:

- ColoradoCrimeVictims.org
- GivingFirst.org

Also, don't forget to participate in Gundamn Fan Chat! Organized by NastyNate, there are several ways that you can let him know that you want to be a part of the next session:

- Participate in the Gundamn Fan Chat Thread @ Mechatalk.net!
- Become a part of the Gundamn! @ MAHQ Facebook Group!

Make sure to peep their latest pow-wow below!
- Ep. 001 - Favorite Mecha Anime Relationships (The Premiere Episode!)
- Ep. 002 - Top 5 Mecha Final Battles (NEW! Feat. Soul Bro Ryu)

Want to ask us a question that could be played during a future episode? Call the MAHQ Google Voice Line @ 305-792-8324 and leave a question (or message) that's no longer than 4 minutes. Make sure that at the beginning you leave your NAME specify that your message is for "GUNDAMN! @ MAHQ" also! We're looking forward to hearing from the Gundamnation and answering your voicemails!

Peep these Podcasts also!:
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 027 - The Films of Pixar (Mechatalk Thread)
- Chaos Theater: Ep. 028 - Torchwood (Mechatalk Thread)
- Fighters Ready!: Ep. 004 - Show 'em tha' Guap, man! (FightersReady.net Thread)

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music featured in this Episode:
Details coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Fighters Ready! - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - Facebook group - Spill - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - MichaelBay.com: The Official Domain of His Bayness

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://feeds.feedburner.com/Gundamn

[email protected]

Voicemail Hotline: 305-792-8324
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
yazi88

Re: Ep. 106 - The Brave and the Butthurt

Does the Dragon's Heaven OVA count as fantasy mecha? Cause I can't really tell if it's in a regular setting or a fantasy. Then again it used regular weapons like machine guns and cannons and beam weapons, so oh well.

Oh yeah, you guys should check out Knight of Knights Ryu Knight, it is a standard and kind of cliched fantasy mecha show that is pretty light hearted and has over a 50 episode TV show, and a two OVAs, one that is a sequel and the other is a retelling.

There is also the very mediocre Cybuster anime that is also Fantasy mecha, at least I think it is, but I haven't seen it cause I've read its really not all that good let alone decent.
Chris
Administrator

Dragon's Heaven is technological and a standard post-apocalyptic setting, so it doesn't count as fantasy.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
kayone73

In addition to Ryu Knights, I offer its other comtemporary counterpart OVA show: KO Century Beast Sanjushi aka The Three Beastketeers.

it's kind of a mix of fantasy/post acpocalyptic and talking beast-men. I think it loosely falls under the realm of fantasy mecha since the Beast mechs are worshipped as semi-sentient gods.

It's a great show you guys should do a future segment on as well. Only 7 eps.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Favorite quote from this ep. has got to be "It figures that it would take an American film, directed by a Mexican guy to make a Japanese woman the main pilot of a giant robot."

And holy crap, Chris changed his avatar! What does this mean?!!
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
xaos

I haven't heard of that Indonesian movie Raid before and I'm kicking myself for not hearing about it. As for the name of the martial art of Indonesia it's called Silat. There's Pencak Silat etc. as well. You don't see that much in movies it sounds pretty cool.

Oh, and I liked Street Fighter 2 V and I know I'm not the only one. I guess that's a guilty pleasure for me then.
Kaioshin Sama

Funny Chris should mention the whole harem situation thing and mecha anime of late cause it's been driving me nuts too. It's especially annoying when it feels like that's the actual focus of the show and it's the mecha that are the afterthought and you get these generic looking CGI mech designs thrown together with this half-baked storyline that only kicks in at about the halfway point or later anyway and it's all only to support the cheesy romantic love triangle stuff. Don't mean to insult Sir Bay on Neo here, but it kind of reminds me of the sort of thing that fucked up Pearl Harbor...how I expected to see a movie about Pearl Harbor and instead got love triangle story between Ben, Josh and Kate with the Pearl Harbor attack and aftermath almost feeling like a topical backdrop.

Simply put though it's not what I got into mecha shows for and the fact that mecha almost seems to be evolving into that to match other current popular trends is kind of worrisome to me.
Hyakushiki

At this year's Otakon I attended the screening for Gundam Unicorn episode 5, afterward there was a Q&A session with Shin Sasaki of Sunrise, Tetsuya Kakihara, and Micheal Sinterniklaas who both voiced Angelo Sauper. It was explained that the little bow after Angelo's moment of pwnage was not in the original storyboard but was added in by animation director Jun Shibata who has a habit of adding scenes that were not storyboarded but are awesome anyway. Kakihara san explained originally he read for the part of Banagher and was excited he would be the pilot of a Gundam but then he asked to read a couple lines for Angelo he realized then he may not get the part. Despite not getting the lead role he vowed to all his effort into being the best Gundam antagonist ever! Mr. Sinterniklaas then told the story of how he had to audition for his role despite being the ADR director and that he to tried out for Banagher and ended up being Angelo instead. They were both surprised that they both voice Leonardo in the Ninja Turtles series as well. It was also the first time Kakihara san and Mr. Sinterniklaas have ever met face to face and they immediately became bros afterward they felt it fated since they voiced the same characters, during the audience Q&A, someone asked now that the voices of Angelo and Leonardo have met will collaborate in the future. Their response was to turn to each other then shout cowabunga! those guys were so awesome. It was great to see the some of the people behind the making of Gundam.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Mu La Flaga

Don't have much to say for this since only got Gundam Unicorn episode 4 out here just recently :P
So I am an episode behind.

For fantasy mecha series Broken Blade may or may not interest me, kind of had a small interest in Dunbine can't think of any really that weren't talked about.
steeltamashii

Great ep guys, this was the one I was waiting for. I love me some fantasy mecha :D

I just recently found out about Broken Blade, so I'll definitely be buying that movie box set off RightStuf at some point. Also glad to find out I'm not the only guy who watched Magic Knight Rayearth and enjoyed it, and also considered it a mech show as well (particularly part 2).

Anyways looking forward for the next episode!
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
zerokirei

My pick for Obama's gundam: the Hyaku Shiki. Originally intended for transformation/change, but it didn't quite work out. Still likable, though. I agree with SoulBro about the Trump machine, except I would think he'd give himself a natural hairdo instead of a toupee. As for Romney, I agree about the Reborns Gundam, because he can't decide what stance he'll stick with.