Ep. 036 - Final Destination

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
VentZX

Re: Ep. 036 - Final Destination

Just finished the episode. Great episode.

BTW Soul Bro, I'm loving your choice of music this episode. BlazBlue is an amazing game with fantastic music.

As for mechanics, I'd say Astonage is probably one of my favorites. Maintained all of the Argama's MS, co-designed the Zeta Gundam in his spare time, and didn't afraid of anything. By the way, Chris mentioned something about pineapples, I can't remember which, but in one of the language tracks it was actually a salad that was promised. :wink:

As for horrifying deaths, I'm shocked and appalled (not really) that you guys didn't mention episode 19 of RahXephon. "Sayonara Ayato" That to me was one of the most horrifying and shocking deaths in any anime I've seen. The guy is fighting to protect the girl, but in the process is unwittingly indirectly, and violently, killing her. That and the direction of the scene was just superb. Say what you will about RahXephon, but that's one of its stand out moments for me.

Also, Spike Spencer improvising as Shinji at the end there had me cracking up.
ZeroBusterXX

VentZX wrote:Just finished the episode. Great episode.

BTW Soul Bro, I'm loving your choice of music this episode. BlazBlue is an amazing game with fantastic music.

As for mechanics, I'd say Astonage is probably one of my favorites. Maintained all of the Argama's MS, co-designed the Zeta Gundam in his spare time, and didn't afraid of anything. By the way, Chris mentioned something about pineapples, I can't remember which, but in one of the language tracks it was actually a salad that was promised. :wink:

As for horrifying deaths, I'm shocked and appalled (not really) that you guys didn't mention episode 19 of RahXephon. "Sayonara Ayato" That to me was one of the most horrifying and shocking deaths in any anime I've seen. The guy is fighting to protect the girl, but in the process is unwittingly indirectly, and violently, killing her. That and the direction of the scene was just superb. Say what you will about RahXephon, but that's one of its stand out moments for me.

Also, Spike Spencer improvising as Shinji at the end there had me cracking up.
Oh, god, now that was a horrible death scene.
Spoiler
I felt so bad for Asahina. Ayato thought he was just killing another Dolem, but didn't quite realize until right at the end that it was her Dolem. All those messages appearing on the buildings and digital signs, man, I really just felt bad for Asahina in that scene.
Not as tearjerking as Roy or Gai's death, but it was close.
ThaDDeusBonzu

Great episode, and in such a short time too. I found the deaths section paticularly awesome. One you guys mentioned, but really didn't go into detail was...
Spoiler
Nicol's from SEED. The first time you see it, it's kinda sad, but after 50 flashbacks, it gets pretty hilarious.
Another good one is that sniper who was going to assasinate President Glass in Macross Frontier. Not only does he get ripped in half, but his torso is thrown on some random passerby.

Oh Neo. Neo, Neo, Neo. Ill-informed as ever I see. My name is not "the deuce bonzo". Wow, you mangled that as badly as Sai did the Strike. For future reference, it's pronounced "th-ah-dee-us bon-zoo".
A written apology will not be necissary; I will be content with your on air admission.

also, LU-LU LIVES!! 8)
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
snoops619

Fantastic show. A double mention, what more could a boy want!?

As for British TV, it depends what exactly you had in mind. If you want a stint on Big Brother or any reality TV show, you'll have to be "an eccentric" (read "an idiot"). If you want to be on Jeremy Kyle or Trisha (Britain's answer to Jerry Springer and Oprah respectively) all you have to do is "not be the father".
Anything else is going to be a bit of work.

Great segments. My favourite mechanic was Ian from 00. He just had it all going on - even King Arthur came to 'help' him out.

As for deaths, Team Patrick's constant near deaths were great.
Last edited by snoops619 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Myself and Soul Bro have actually figured who on Gundamn would be what hosts on Top Gear.
thanatos wrote:Please share.
Way to leave them hanging, Neo. We were joking about this last week, but we recognized a parallel between us and the hosts of Top Gear

Neo = Jeremy Clarkson (Brash/Uninformed) ^_^
Chris = James May (knowledgeable)
SBR = Richard Hammond (ridiculous & ridiculed, accident prone too)
This is based on show personalities, because I'm better looking and dressed than Jeremy.

BTW, Peter from Windsor, Prince of Darkness is rubbish.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Hyakushiki

I can imagine a segment where you guys each choose a variable fighter then put them through their paces in a series of ridiculous challenges, or you have to get a mecha and find ways to make it three times faster, other than painting it red. Then of course there's the "Star in a reasonably priced Mobile Suit" segment not to mention having to come up with a funny introduction for The Stig every week:

Some say he once piloted a Zudah at it's top speed... and lived. and that his flatulence is composed of Minovsky particles. All we know is he's called The Stig.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Hyakushiki wrote:I can imagine a segment where you guys each choose a variable fighter then put them through their paces in a series of ridiculous challenges, or you have to get a mecha and find ways to make it three times faster, other than painting it red. Then of course there's the "Star in a reasonably priced Mobile Suit" segment not to mention having to come up with a funny introduction for The Stig every week:

Some say he once piloted a Zudah at it's top speed... and lived. and that his flatulence is composed of Minovsky particles. All we know is he's called The Stig.
We could have a challenge were you choose non-MS to drive across Africa.

I choose Guntank
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
yazi88

For horrifying deaths I'm surprised you guys didn't mention Blue Gender, that show had some very gruesome deaths.

I also got to point out that M'quave wasn't mentioned for funny deaths. MY CRYSTAL BALLLLLLLLL!!!!

For Mechanics, the crew of mechanics from Patlabor, those guys always crack me up especially with the veteran one whose name escapes me.

Gundam Wing had some great funny deaths from the old guy in the Aries in Antarctica yelling "THERE'S A GUNDAM DOWN HERE" before being turned into shredded lettuce by the Heavyarms jumbo swiss army knife to Alex and Muller literally being torn apart with Zechs in the Tallgeese. Last but not least with the "Specials AKA OZ" taking out the alliance troops in the beginning, BEEP BEEP BEEP of doom. :lol:
ZeroBusterXX

yazi88 wrote:For horrifying deaths I'm surprised you guys didn't mention Blue Gender, that show had some very gruesome deaths.

I also got to point out that M'quave wasn't mentioned for funny deaths. MY CRYSTAL BALLLLLLLLL!!!!

For Mechanics, the crew of mechanics from Patlabor, those guys always crack me up especially with the veteran one whose name escapes me.

Gundam Wing had some great funny deaths from the old guy in the Aries in Antarctica yelling "THERE'S A GUNDAM DOWN HERE" before being turned into shredded lettuce by the Heavyarms jumbo swiss army knife to Alex and Muller literally being torn apart with Zechs in the Tallgeese. Last but not least with the "Specials AKA OZ" taking out the alliance troops in the beginning, BEEP BEEP BEEP of doom. :lol:
I think it was a vase, not a crystal ball that M'Quve was freaking out about. "Give that vase to Lady Kycillia!" or something like that.
Destiny_Gundam

hawk of endymion wrote:BTW, Peter from Windsor, Prince of Darkness is rubbish.
Neo, please. I know you can do better than that! You gotta make a more outrageous claim! Take my loser villain for example. According to her, I'm some one who barges into a Catholic Church and shouts "THERE IS NO GOD!"

Now that's good comedy.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
exelica

yazi88 wrote:For Mechanics, the crew of mechanics from Patlabor, those guys always crack me up especially with the veteran one whose name escapes me.
That name would be Seitaroh Sakaki.
*bursts into tears* I can't talk about it! It's so horrible! They were-- they were-- the milk! Oh God, the milk! - Ken Hidaka from Weiss Kreuz
Wellman

I'm not even going to put up spoiler tags but a funny death for me would be Freeza killing Krillin in Dragonball Z was hilarious. Because the way I remembered it, he gored him one episode nearly killing him, they healed him and when Goku is finally ready to fight, Freeza then just blows him up just to piss Goku off enough to see his true power level. That was always funny to me.

Since the two major ones in Xam'd have already been mentioned, I think one recent death I want to mention is in Ride Back
Spoiler
The episode where Suzuri gets decapitated by police Ride Backs while trying to do a stunt because she appeared at a protest rally and people thought she was the main character.
Legend of Galactic Heroes Spoiler
Spoiler
When Yang Wenli died, I was stunned. The man had co-starred in the show since the first episode and to go out like that was insane. After watching him for so long and not even liking all his story arcs, it was just horrible.

Although I won't go into detail because it would spoil a lot of the OVA but I think someone should mention the death of the last heroic major character in Giant Robo: The Animation. Now that shit was shocking because the state they were in, who did it and the big reveal right after that. I HIGHLY recommend it for fans of heroic sacrifices cause it has damn near every type.

Oh and shout out to the first episodes of Kurokami: The Animation and Gai Rei: Zero. Gai Rei Zero was a slaughter fest and Kurokami was just mean.
skyknight

Dang, can't find the words after listening to the podcast, yes I was disheartened by the death of Michael Jackson, and shocked by Steve McNair's death, and it all happened within the last two weeks. But sometimes we do find something in death.

OK, first up, mechanics!!! In the real world, your car wouldn't run, your plane wouldn't fly, and your ship wouldn't sail without these guys. Yet, in most mecha shows, very few stand out, i.e. Cyber Formula GPX, in the the TV-series, there is a close relations between the hero and his pit crews, but unfortunately in the following OVA-series, the pit crews are just sideshows with little or no dialogue.

But at least in the Gundam series, there are plenty of memorable mechanics. I think you guys covered all the bases on that. But I gotta ask, is there a visible distinguish between engineers and mechanics in any mecha series? Because sometimes people do misunderstand the difference in between the two, but I'll stop it here.

On to DEATH! In my previous post on Ep.35, I gotta say that JP anime deals with death more often than American animation; I'll willing to bet most Americans here were first shocked by Optimus Prime's death in the 1986 Transformers: the Movie, as it became a culture turning point - Hasbro had to change the script for G.I. Joe the Movie as a response from many fans and parents of young fans. But as I mentioned before, the ending of Dubine, left me in a "big HUH?" moment: what is the purpose of having most of the characters killed??? Well, since I never had watch Dubine from beginning, I can't answer that.

However, after watching Graves of the Fireflies and other JP anime, I do accept death as a norm in certain anime series. Of course, there has to be a balance and a limit to that as well. SEED/Destiny's low point was definitely the overuse of flashbacks of Nicol's death, which I will stop right here. But the massive death scene such as Alaska base being microwaved with both EA and ZAFT units caught in it, does tell you that the war is going out of control, as there is no room for any negotiations - only the total destruction of the other.

Death of certain characters also does something to the series. I do accept the early deaths of Shokyo (Fafner) and Guy (Nadeisco) without any problems. I saw the death of Shokyo as the end of the innocence of the kids living on the island, especially before she takes off for her final mission (admitting the harsh truth that she isn't the biological child of her mother) and the aftermath of her death (her family grave being graffiti!); Guy's death was disheartening, because he was an idealist that swore by the whole Geikiganger cult, which did influence Akito in a huge way.

And sometimes the characters don't know whom they just killed, just like Jim in Outlaw Star and Ayato in RahXephon, which does bring sadness to the viewer.

There are many death scenes that stood out for me, I'll list the ones that are release on DVD for North America:
Code Geass: Eupthy, just watch ep.22 and 23, and you know this is no fairy tale.
Full Metal Panic! S1: the Helmajistan arc (I know it was made for the TV-series), think it is cool to be the sole survivor?
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Kaioshin Sama

Before "Trollwreck" I never had a word I felt could accurately describe what happened to Code Geass R2 in online communities. Now I do. Indeed Code Geass R2 got trollwrecked. 8)
TakaTahuNuva

Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Location: Florida International University (University Park Campus - Graham Center Room 150); Miami, FL
Graham Center? Will you be changing it to "Mr. Bushido Center" for the event? xP
ohhhh snap
Chris
Administrator

TakaTahuNuva wrote:
Soul Bro Ryu wrote: Location: Florida International University (University Park Campus - Graham Center Room 150); Miami, FL
Graham Center? Will you be changing it to "Mr. Bushido Center" for the event? xP
Well played, sir.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:Myself and Soul Bro have actually figured who on Gundamn would be what hosts on Top Gear.
thanatos wrote:Please share.
Way to leave them hanging, Neo. We were joking about this last week, but we recognized a parallel between us and the hosts of Top Gear

Neo = Jeremy Clarkson (Brash/Uninformed) ^_^
Chris = James May (knowledgeable)
SBR = Richard Hammond (ridiculous & ridiculed, accident prone too)
sorry I'm a bit late but Soul Bro you have got some things wrong.
Neo = Is Jeremy Clarkson (Loud/Brash/Impulsive/Passionate)
Chris = Richard Hammond (Angry Short Bloke Syndrome/Very Sarcastic)
Amuro NT1 = James May (Knowledgeable but can get carried away)
Destiny Gundam = Top Gear Dog
SBR = Top Gear Stunt Man (because He always Fails)
The Stig is a emulgamation of Michael Schumacher, the ghost of Ayrton Senna, Char Aznable, Max Jenius,Takumi Fujiwara and with a psycommu built into a it's helmet.
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
chainsandguns

Awesome episode guys. As for my honorable mention of a mechanic, I'd have to go with the leader of the mechanics on Godanner.(I forget his name :lol: ) He was one of those older mechanics that was always telling the other mechanics to stop slacking off, I felt bad for him cause he had to deal with those young mechanics and all their drama.

As for hilarious deaths I'd have to go with Kycilia Zabi's death in the Mobile Suit Gundam anime
Spoiler
As Kycylia tries to escape the impending solar ray attack on A Baoa Qu on her Ship Char launches a rpg at the bridge while waving and smiling.(Everytime I see it I quote Dave Chappelle as Rick James and say "That was cold blooded")
and also her death in the novel Mobile Suit Gundam: Confrontation.
Spoiler
After Char's Rick Dom and the White Base enter Side 3 and corner Giren's limo, Char extends the Rick Dom's arm, and Kycilia jumps out from the cockpit onto the Rick Dom's arm to confront Giren. Then as Giren starts to exclaim "how dare you?" at kycilia, she shoots him in the face with her rifle. Afterwards when the Whitebase crew starts rejoycing Giren's death and the impending end of the war, Char uses the Rick Dom to fling Kycilia(while she's standing in the palm of the Rick Dom's hand) into the air. As Kycilia falls she screams "Damn you Char" then goes ker-splat on the pavement.
Enjoy yasumicon guys and take pictures of hot cosplayers for me. Soul bro I love the Blaz Blu/Guilty Gear music on this ep, and can't wait for the next FTS, Gundamn, and/or Level 9.

P.S. Also thanks for the indirect shout out on Hot-Boxing while listening :wink:
PSN: Ed_The_Crimson
Twitter: @EdTheCrimson
Dropping The X
Destiny_Gundam

Demon Lord of L5 wrote:Destiny Gundam = Top Gear Dog
I've never heard of this show you're talking about, so I have no idea if I should be flattered or insulted.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
ZeroBusterXX

Never heard of Top Gear?! It's the best non sci fi show on the BBC!