Ep. 034 - Ga-Ga-Ga-Gundamn!!!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Wellman

Re: Ep. 034 - Ga-Ga-Ga-Gundamn!!!

hawk of endymion wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote: Oh, and the reason why ZAFT had a military full of teenagers is because in the PLANTs, you're considered an adult once you turn 13. And considering the coordinator boom was fairly recent, most of the population is that young.
Must fight...evil...want to make pedo-bear reference...breath, breath.

*Starts rubbing hands together*

Good. Use your feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

It is unavoidable. It is DESTINY.
thanatos

Another great episode guys.

I was flabbergasted at the nonsense people were spouting after that Italian con comment about Uni***n surfaced. Especially when it was just a few weeks before that 0081 game snafu got sorted out. I always endeavour to not become one of those fans.

I was interested to hear your GGG segment. I've heard so much about it but after watching the first episode I decided against watching more of it since it seemed to super robot for my taste. Frankly it looked corny as hell.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the mid-season upgrade among mecha cliches. I'm also starting to get sick of the whole "team of gundams" format that crops up again and again.
I didn't agree with disliking the superweapons though. Some of them, such as the solar array, were ingenius. I don't think Neo gave it enough credit since a weapon based on hundreds or thousands of small units, in this case mirrors, would be far more effective than a huge cannon that usually has some weak point. As for the Requiem Cannon from Destiny, wasn't it built on the far side of the moon so that it would be a secret or at least less provocative?
Destiny_Gundam wrote: "S-S-Stupid Char! D-D-Don't get the wrong idea! I-I-It's not because I like you or anything!"
When I first heard that Rei Kugimiya was doing a voice in a Gundam show, my head exploded.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Chaa Chan

Great segment.

I've been listening to Gundamn! for awhile now. And its always been a pleasure.

Episode 31 kept me in stitches but, this episodes review of GoGaiGar made me love that show more than I had before.
Red Comet90

speedstriker wrote:
Seraphic wrote:Related: Age Test. =3

167 isn't all so bad. Otherwise, 20 is about right for me. And women are the most interesting after 30.

D_G: the arranged marriages are also a device for family politics, not to mention the fact of "controlled breeding".

I agree whole-heartedly about including release information along with your spotlights. You've got us all curious, so help us find what you're talking about! Doing this might break out of the realm of discussion and into commercials though. =p
But...I like Miku.... Is it even worse than liking an anime character? I think I like most people have different standards for anime females versus real life females. If we're talking about fictional girls, I think I'd be into yandere the most.

Anyway, how did we get side tracked into talking about fictional girls? What was it we're supposed to be discussin again?
It started off with the talk of kids in Zaft being considered adults by the age of 13 which really isn't so pedo bear ish when you put it in perspective. Cultures around the world have sometimes marked 13 or 15 or 16 as the age when one becomes an adult hence my super sweet 16 and things of that sort. So it doesn't surprise me that in the future that could happen as well since it still happens in other countries besides our own.

About the girls I don't think its wrong to like a girl in an anime show no matter the age since age doesn't seem to be an issue in the shows anyways. Girls at a young age have characteristics of 16 or 17 year old women so its hard to say. Yandere's are scary especially in School Days...*shivers* I'll stick to Tsunderes like Haman.
:mrgreen:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Destiny_Gundam

Actually, Haman is totally a yandere. she started off adoring Char and would do anything for him, but then she started hating him and wanted him dead.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Red Comet90

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Actually, Haman is totally a yandere. she started off adoring Char and would do anything for him, but then she started hating him and wanted him dead.
But she wasn't psychotic about it and didn't live thinking how much she wanted vengeance on him although she hated him. She only killed him once the opportunity presented itself to her. She didn't go out of her way to kill him till they were both on the battlefield or even before that when they all escape from the Guazine or Guadin (however they are spelled).
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Kavik Ryx

Personally, the most annoying cliche is the oh so classic character development/focus=death. There really is no drama when the named grunt who has been around for six episodes gets offed before the audience can actually like the guy.

Though there is always the ever so annoying stupid/evil/incompetent military or Federation. And SEED and DESTINY are the least of how bad it gets. We really need less Colonel Killings and Fats Goodmans in anime. They never are compelling enough to be interesting, passionate enough to respect, or demonic enough to despise on a human level.
thanatos

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Yup, if I recall, ZAFT military training is 2 years. So kids join at 13, and they're in active service when they're 15. So this is why you have a bunch of 15-17 year olds running around in mobile suits. Also explains why Shinn was in full military service after just emigrating to the PLANTS.
That could explain why there are some young pilots or mechanics, but you'd still expect some to stay in those jobs well in to their 20s.

This is especially true of the mechanics. I'm surprised that there's never been a really old mechanic who knows mobile suits like the back of his hand. I'm thinking of someone like the old mechanic friend of Spike's in Cowboy Bebop who built the Swordfish II. Most skilled trades, I assume MS repair would be one, take years to develop the skills which are usually passed on through a sort of master-apprentice relationship.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
Sume Gai

thanatos wrote:This is especially true of the mechanics. I'm surprised that there's never been a really old mechanic who knows mobile suits like the back of his hand. I'm thinking of someone like the old mechanic friend of Spike's in Cowboy Bebop who built the Swordfish II. Most skilled trades, I assume MS repair would be one, take years to develop the skills which are usually passed on through a sort of master-apprentice relationship.
keep in mind by Destiny MS have only been around about three years. so It deosn't surprise me that there wouldn't be many older mechanics
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
speedstriker

Kavik Ryx wrote:Personally, the most annoying cliche is the oh so classic character development/focus=death. There really is no drama when the named grunt who has been around for six episodes gets offed before the audience can actually like the guy.

Though there is always the ever so annoying stupid/evil/incompetent military or Federation. And SEED and DESTINY are the least of how bad it gets. We really need less Colonel Killings and Fats Goodmans in anime. They never are compelling enough to be interesting, passionate enough to respect, or demonic enough to despise on a human level.
This cliche is broken quite a few times already, wasn't it? That senpai, what's his name, in Macross Frontier is a prime example. But then again, that might be more of an in-joke than a cliche being broken.
To the end of the GALAXY!!!!
Damn, why is this line so catchy?
PunchAPeach

Between SBR's choice of music, and a funny comment by Chris, I would like to gleefully thank you guys at Gundamn for peppering the show with Outlaw Star content! My inner fanboy was quite satiated.
Anyway, regarding the MS-piloted-by-children cliche, I think 00 was like a major relief period, seeing as the only pilot in the show that was too young to enjoy a post-battle Chivas was Setsuna. And by the time season 2 rolled around, all of the pilots were 20 or older. On the other hand, I think that there's a serious lack of grizzled veterans in recent gundam shows, save for Segrei Smirnov and Barack Ob... I mean Zinin. A return of the badass veteran element, a-la the Cyclops Team or the Albion's GM Custom pilots, would make for a very interesting new show. (Yes Chris, I think Bernard Monsha is awesome.) :lol:
AceWhatever

Another great episode and a late happy birthday to Chris (though I did you send you an early present if you know what i mean :wink: ).

I happened upon this video which is an amusing watch when you consider the overreactions to the latest Gundam-related.

As much as I love Gaogaigar, I can't agree that it's as accessible any non-mecha fans as Gurren Laggen & Code Geass, at least from what I've seen. Apart from the introduction of new characters, the first half of the show is just too formulaic for some people to trudge through to get to the really good part. I love the combination sequence so much I play it every time I start the final assembly on my model kits, but it amazes me just how Sunrise managed to shamelessly insert that sequence in every episode, including ones that didn't have a battle.

The F91 example in the cliche discussion reminded me of a favorite: Basically any scientist with kids for some reason decides to base his research or secret password on something that he/she does with the kids. Scientist gone and you don't know how to access his files? Just decipher his kid's favorite lullaby!

It's been a few months since I've seen King Gainer, but I don't specifically recall that the King Gainer was locked to anyone but Gainer. Didn't Gain try to use it early on and had difficulty only because he wasn't used to it? And I vaguely recall Adette trying to steal it at some point.

I can't see how Chidori would count as a "Girl in a Box". The Whispered technology in her head doesn't manifest itself as a different personality and the whole thing isn't treated as a huge mystery to the viewer, but I'm just nitpicking.

Looking forward to the Bill Whipton segment!
ZeroBusterXX

Yeah, I re-watched it recently and Gain used it briefly in episode 2. Very briefly just to go meet the Wisemen. I think the only reason that Gainer was allowed to use King Gainer was because he threw a fit and complained to Gain.
T.V.

I got to listen to this episode over the weekend and I enjoyed every bit of it.

The start with the Straight Talk Express steaming ahead was great.
Although I have to admit I'd been rather optimistic (read: gullible? :P) considering Unicorn and the apparent confirmation via Italian blogs, a little interjection of some healthy skeptisism by you guys is more than welcome. :)

I haven't seen GiaoGaiGAR (what's in a name?), but from the sound of it I may give it a try, considering I liked Gurren Lagann as well.
Your enthousiasm for the show is at least rubbing off on me, so that may be a factor too.

The last segment about mecha anime tropes was enjoyable too and I could see that easily growing to showkiller size on itself, if weren't for your self restraint. ;)
Personally, I'm amused to see the non-lead superaces quite often being of the glasses wearing bishonen variety with a matching 'cool' allure to them.
Apparently glasses not only stand for intellect, but extreme skill and self restraint as well. :p

Another entertaining episode guys, so I look forward to the next!
Kishiria

Demon Lord of L5 wrote: Adam I told you enough times now that I'm English not Scottish I mean if you said Brit or Briton I would not say anything but you said Scot. I am not A Jock, I am not a Taff, I am not a Paddy I may have lineage to couple of them but I am a Englishmen. You may call me a Brit, a Briton or my favourite a Great Briton but never a Jock (Scot), a Taff (Welsh) or a Paddy (Irish). Or do we have to make a wager on this Soul Cal 4 match we're meant to be having.
But are you a CHAV?

I've added GGG to my Netflix queue. I'm finishing up "Code Geass" right now.
Techno-Viking does not dance to the music; the music dances to Techno-Viking.
Godaiger

Wow, people are actually jumping onto the Unicorn bandwagon without even reading it or before the anime adaptation is released. :roll:

I haven't read it yet so I don't have an opinion.

I've enjoyed GaoGaiGar because it reminded me of the good old times when I grew up watching heroic Super Robot titles like Grendizer and Mazinger Z, the theme song is awesome too.
Who Digs Giant Robots?

I DO! :)
wraith1701

Great show, guys!

Now excuse me, while I track down a copy of GaoGaiGar. You have me excited about checking out this series! :)
Mu La Flaga

GaoGaiGar, it's one of those great series I haven't fully watched it all yet, I need to get the 2nd set.
I'm surprised didn't touch on how, GaoGaiGar was only half dubbed.
Michael Sinterniklas was a good voice as Gai Shisio.

Anyway it's an epic super robot show, it should have got more attention then it did.
Since it is Gurren Lagann's spiritual predecessor.
I love the mechs, every last one of them especially after playing them in Super Robot Wars W and Alpha 3.
Nobuyuki Hiyama is epic as much as his Goldion Crusher was in FINAL.
And yes that thing just kept escalating, I never thought I would see King J-Der get so trashed during the course of things.
Mu La Flaga

Also slight new post relating to something from the episode.

GaoGaiGar&FINAL along with Ideon did show up together in Super Robot Wars Alpha 3.
The only other appearance GaoGaiGar has appeared is in Super Robot Wars W alongside Tekkaman Blade and all them.