Ep. 034 - Ga-Ga-Ga-Gundamn!!!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
JQuilty

Re: Ep. 034 - Ga-Ga-Ga-Gundamn!!!

No Soul-Bro's man for GGG?
AceWhatever

That's easy: Sunou Takayasu
Soul Bro Ryu

AceWhatever wrote:That's easy: Sunou Takayasu
He's right. ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Kaioshin Sama

The way it seems to work is that if following the mass citing of an unofficial source, the information turns out to be false or miscommunicated, it's everybody's fault but one's own that they bought into it and the official source (in the case of Gundam 0081 Bandai) is considered to have "trolled" the fans. It's basically a way for people to run wild with rumours and trends and generally behave like total jackasses and figure that they can opt out once the game is no longer playable. Unfortunately this wouldn't actually work if anime fans didn't seem to be becoming more and more like 4channers by the month in how they just run with whoever has the loudest voice, instead of who has the most sensible one. As it stands I've found that it's just not worth it to try and counter the whole studio trolling the fans trend whenever it crops up since anybody that actually believes in it is probably too closed minded to accept reality anyway. It's one of those things you just have to laugh at.

Of course if they come to you with it then it's an entirely different story.

By the way, you really should have inserted "Without Us" into the episode. Yeah I actually got the Family Ties reference.
snoops619

I should really check out GGG, it sounds fantastic. Loved how many cliches we all take for granted there really are.

Oh and SBR - your welcome ^^. That sound effect is getting some serious air time. Glad it's being put to good use.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Wellman

Just 90 minutes. Man, I can still remember the days when it took me almost a week just to listen to an entire podcast an hour or two at a time.
Destiny_Gundam

AceWhatever wrote:That's easy: Sunou Takayasu
Who was he?
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
AceWhatever

Mamoru's nerdy classmate who tries to show off his wealth and knowledge but always gets upstaged by the rich girl.
Destiny_Gundam

Oh yeah, that kid. Yup, definitely Soulbro man material.
Kavik Ryx

Glad to see all the love for GaoGaiGar. I remember watching six or seven episodes a day, trying to finish it up before Summer Vacation started. It is probably one of the only series out there that can stay so fresh after 49 episodes of almost pure repetition. And, yes, the cast is perfect.

On Final, I'd have to agree with Destiny that the middle portion is a little weak compared to the first and last episodes. But still, Goldion Crusher is still up there with Tenkyuu Love Finger (or whatever it was called) from G Gundam, and all the galaxy flinging from Gurren Laggan. If ever there was more GaoGaiGar, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Also, GaoFaiGar is the coolest one.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Chris, the thing the Sol Masters were after was the Pas-Q machine. Pisa-Sol was the name of the Sol master that fused with the Sun and used the machine.

I had a feeling I'd gotten that wrong, but it's been awhile since I saw FINAL, so I guess I should've looked up some terms beforehand. Oh well.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Kavik Ryx wrote:Tenkyuu Love Finger (or whatever it was called) from G Gundam
Erupting Burning Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyouken

But yeah, there's epicness on a small scale like that, but then there's epicness on a large scale, like FINAL. In regards to Gurren-Lagann, though, even though it was supposed to be on a galaxtic scale, it felt like a small scale instead, since TTGL and the Anti-Spiral mech could have easily been normal sized and it wouldn't have made a difference.
AceWhatever

But then we wouldn't have the scene of the enormous Anti-spiral looming over Earth followed by Dayakka grappling it while yelling "Bitch! Stay away from my wife!!". ^_^
hotlimit

For a Gundam-less show, that was an awesome episode, I loved the whole half hour of talking about how awesome GaoGaiGar is, even though I'm barely familiar with the series. I don't know if you guys are doing Overman King Gainer soon or if you already did it (beyond one of the Tomino segments), but I'll be looking forward to that.

The straight talk express was great as usual, but I have to say, this was a real special appearance for me. I'm always reading some post on game forums where someone is like:
'Dude, this Gundam game is gonna suck if you can't be the Crossbone Vanguard in it', or
'No Sentinel? What's the point..."

Do people even know what Sentinel is?! I thought it was a fan-fiction accompanied by high-res gunpla photos, but apparently anything can become cannon in the Gundam universe. I'm pretty sure people just post this crap to flex their fanboy obscurity muscle because they always get replies like, "I only want Sentinel if -even more obscure side character- is in it".

Soul Bro: what's the final track that plays from 26:40 and on? I've never heard it before, but it's a hot beat.
Soul Bro Ryu

hotlimit wrote:Soul Bro: what's the final track that plays from 26:40 and on? I've never heard it before, but it's a hot beat.
Man, did I have to dig in some serious crates to find this one!

Title: "Who's That" (Instrumental)
Artist: Khrysis (Producer), Hall of Justus/The Justus League (Original Artists)
Album: "Khrysis: On The Boards With The Heat Vol. 1 (Mixed By DJ E-Nyce)"

Glad you guys really dug this episode, btw. I was a little worried that we would have caught hell for not even having one Gundam-centric-segment after so long, but instead it looks like everyone enjoyed the break ^_^
Kaioshin Sama wrote:By the way, you really should have inserted "Without Us" into the episode. Yeah I actually got the Family Ties reference.
You have no idea how close I was to doing it. I had the track potted up in Audition and everything. At the last minute, though, I decided to spare Neo a Keaton Family flashback. :P
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:I was a little worried that we would have caught hell for not even having one Gundam-centric-segment
ZOMG WHERE IS MY GUNDAM?! HOW CAN YOU HAVE GUNDAMN WITHOUT GUNDAM?! GUNDAMN WITHOUT GUNDAM IS JUST THE LETTER N! YOU SUX! I AM NEVER LISTENING AGAIN! GUNDAMN HAS JUMPED THE SHARK!

... Something like that?

Don't worry. I thoroughly enjoyed the letter N.
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Sun May 10, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyknight

OK, I am ready for post-Gundam Gundamn!

@ Gundam Unicorn: I will confess that I am excited about the series, but for GOOD reasons. First, as something to take out IGLOO as the final UC universe series, I never like IGLOO one bit, please give me a better UC series! Second, a chance to tie up some things from the original triology - the post-Char & Amuro period, who will be next ace? Also, the life of Minerva in post-ZZ, how would she be as a young woman without anyone using her as a puppet? And last, but not least, HAJIME KATOKI!!! Haven't seen his Gundam designs in any animated series since Endless Waltz and 08th MS Team; yeah, his designs were used for Gundam FIX, MG Kai version, and SRW - but I want his Gundam design in animation!

@ GGG: I will confess that I never saw the series, BUT I did watch most of the Brave series while I was in Taiwan. Man, it was every kid's dream to be able to control a gigantic robot - whether you were piloting from the inside or giving orders from the outside. And yes, the toys were expensive, even from the Brave series. IIRC, at the time I was in Taiwan, the main robot from the Brave series would cost at least NTD $5500, which was about USD $171 at the time, you bet'cha that no mom is willing to spend that money on toys like that. And for the most part, these toys weren't much better than the Transformers from the 80's: they were much bigger and that's it!

OK, can someone tell if the ENTIRE GGG series is released in a boxset? I don't want to spend time track 1 DVD disc at a time.

@ cliches: yup, there are some that I don't like. It's quite rarely for you guys not to mention some cliches that were picked up in Western Sci-fi, such as the naked girl in a box, which happened in the pilot of Firefly (man that show was good!). As for teens being the focus of the series, well you really can't blame them producers, can ya!? I mean would teens like to watch a series where a bunch of middle-age men/women trying to save the world? And let's never forget about sex appeal in mecha shows!

Well, I wish a late happy birthday to Chris, and let's not forget about our mothers!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
Destiny_Gundam

skyknight wrote:OK, can someone tell if the ENTIRE GGG series is released in a boxset? I don't want to spend time track 1 DVD disc at a time.
Here's the thing. GaoGaiGar was being released on individual discs, but it didn't sell so well. Only the first half of the series was dubbed, and it was released in one box set. Then the 2nd half of the series was released in a single box set, subtitled only.

So to answer your question, there are 2 season box sets.
Red Comet90

Just finished the cliche's segment and it was hilarious and at the same time so true. One cliche that was forgotten that doesn't only apply to Mecha anime but anime in general is the girl who is really mean to everyone including the main character but on the inside is really a nice girl. Kaname from FMP would be an example of that.

The "announcement" Chris made about Unicorn was too funny, but its so true that the amount of complaints is inversely proportional to the number of fans. I remember back in the day when DBZ first came out on Cartoon Network and some people in my class loved the show and once everyone hopped on the band wagon they hated it for no reason and said it was better when no one liked it. I don't know how someone could say that. It boggles me beyond comprehension.

GGG sounds like an awesome show that I have to pick up once I finish my Gundam DVD collections.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
ZeroBusterXX

Should we rename the Gundam Uni**** topic to something more censored? To keep up the non-acknowledgement policy? :D