Ep. 029 - Physics with Captain Ramius!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Vent Noir wrote:Really enjoyed the SEED segment. It's nice to see some actual INTELLIGENT discussion of the show for once.
Yeah, right. Talk about a landmark event.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Leroy Landers

I enjoyed SEED despite its flaws, I have some nostalgia for it since it aired on Toonami too bad it didn't do to well and was exiled to the 5am death slot. It was also the last Gundam to be given an awesome Peter Cullen narrated promo.
skyknight

Ok, I need a FACT check:
Given that two Sony Music singers who sang the OP themes for the series also did some voice acting in it: T.M. Revolution's Takanori Nishikawa as Miguel Aiman and Vivian Hsu ("Moment," and from Taiwan, my old place!) as Aisha; was Nami Takami ("Believe" and "Realize") ever slated to do some VA for the series. There are reports that she was do a VA as Yzak subordinate in SEED+Destiny, was any truth to this?

There are many themes that got thrown off (or taken out) as the SEED advance, one being Evidence 01 (the "wing whale") and the other was SEED factor. I thought the producers overshot themselves with Evidence 01, which could go into extraterrestrial lifeforms - is a Gundam series brave enough for that? And SEED factor, well is the SEED from the title, yet the producers didn't bother to offer any explanations/suggestions for it, the only thing that we got was the researcher at Orb typing the acronym of it and then DELETE it!

I don't know how many of you have seen director Mitsuo Fukuda's previous work, Future GPX Cyber Formula, which I was fortunate enough to see it on TV in Taiwan, and watch the whole series in the US. You could see some similarities between the series, such as entering the zone of "Zero"/SEED, where the driver/pilot's sense are heighten to a greater degree; and the bad part - as more series came out (4 squeals were made for GPX SF), the plot became irrelevant from the original source (like Destiny!).
Destiny_Gundam

skyknight wrote:Ok, I need a FACT check:
Given that two Sony Music singers who sang the OP themes for the series also did some voice acting in it: T.M. Revolution's Takanori Nishikawa as Miguel Aiman and Vivian Hsu ("Moment," and from Taiwan, my old place!) as Aisha; was Nami Takami ("Believe" and "Realize") ever slated to do some VA for the series. There are reports that she was do a VA as Yzak subordinate in SEED+Destiny, was any truth to this?
Yeah, apparently she was supposed to play Shiho in Destiny, but she declined, which is why Shiho is in a few scenes, but doesn't speak. I don't know the name of the person who plays her in Never Ending Tomorrow.
skyknight wrote:I don't know how many of you have seen director Mitsuo Fukuda's previous work, Future GPX Cyber Formula, which I was fortunate enough to see it on TV in Taiwan, and watch the whole series in the US. You could see some similarities between the series, such as entering the zone of "Zero"/SEED, where the driver/pilot's sense are heighten to a greater degree; and the bad part - as more series came out (4 squeals were made for GPX SF), the plot became irrelevant from the original source (like Destiny!).
On a similar note, the previous mecha show from Fukuda/Morisawa was Gear Fighter Dendoh. It's a pretty awesome super robot show. Fukuda is definitely in his element doing a SR show, which is why some of the Gundams in SEED tend to be over powered and invincible.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

skyknight wrote:Ok, I need a FACT check:
Ah, the rumor that she was to voice Shiho and for some reason didn't, and thus the character is occasionally seen but never heard. I've heard that one too. Rumor also has it that not having a famous VA helped her avoid a similar fate as Miguel and Heine.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
thanatos

skyknight wrote:I thought the producers overshot themselves with Evidence 01, which could go into extraterrestrial lifeforms - is a Gundam series brave enough for that?
After Turn A flopped, originality, innovation and experimentation had no place in the Gundam franchise.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

skyknight wrote:
I don't know how many of you have seen director Mitsuo Fukuda's previous work, Future GPX Cyber Formula, which I was fortunate enough to see it on TV in Taiwan, and watch the whole series in the US. You could see some similarities between the series, such as entering the zone of "Zero"/SEED, where the driver/pilot's sense are heighten to a greater degree; and the bad part - as more series came out (4 squeals were made for GPX SF), the plot became irrelevant from the original source (like Destiny!).
I've seen Cyber Formula, it didn't seem like if suffered from the pacing problems the first part of SEED suffered from.

I agree the sequals of Cyber Formula did lose their appeal, but they weren't as bad as Destiny.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Vent Noir

So... what have we got left in Gundam Roundup? MS Igloo, Destiny, Stargazer. Will there be one for 00? Given how much it's been discussed on the show, is it really necessary? Anything I've missed?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

There will be no Roundup for 00, as the whole point of the project was to cover every other Gundam series while we review 00. In the future, there will be occasional Roundups for stuff like IGLOO 2, Evolve and SD Gundam.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hawk of endymion

Come on, Chris, you mean you don't want to review 00 again? Especially the last three episodes of season one, it would be what the third or fourth time?

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

wielder

That's probably a good way to handle things, considering 00 will continue getting lots of regular attention until S2 wraps up. Maybe some kind of retrospective a couple of years or more into the future could be interesting, if Gundamn! is hopefully still around by then in some way, shape or form, but it's obviously too soon to contemplate any of that.

As for SEED and all the discussion about it...never was much of a fan and didn't keep up with its original airing, which meant not watching it until Destiny was already on the way. I've only seen it once, but I like the fact that the series is technically self-contained and has a fairly conclusive ending. You don't need to watch Destiny if you don't want to and, seriously, you're probably better off that way too. :lol:

That said, even the original SEED is nowhere near my top Gundam series list...but I recognize the basic story turned out okay and most of the characters were alright. It's just nothing special.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
skyknight

hawk of endymion wrote:
I've seen Cyber Formula, it didn't seem like if suffered from the pacing problems the first part of SEED suffered from.

I agree the sequals of Cyber Formula did lose their appeal, but they weren't as bad as Destiny.
I didn't mention about the pacing problems in Cyber Formula, in fact I did like the aspect of a protagonist growing through the series: from being a rough talent to a true racer in the end; and it have many interesting characters, though the female side was very few. But yeah, the sequels did lose the original appeal as it went on, but not like the disaster of Destiny.

Looking back at SEED and comparing it to 00 and other series, I would dare to say that Lacus is more of Joan of Arc than Virgin Mary, as she knows the necessary measures that are needed to for the alliance to survive and prevail, and she is seen as a symbol opposite to Patrick Zala (Athrun's dad). I mean Lacus did take a huge risk for her beliefs, losing her status and her father at the same time, but she did make it in the end.

As for future discussion topics, I do hope Chris and everyone can look at other mecha anime (how about Macross/Robotech for a start!?) and do a roundtable discussion similar to the current Gundamn!, I am sure there are plenty of mecha anime fans around that would like to listen to live-audio discussion about every aspects.
hawk of endymion

skyknight wrote: As for future discussion topics, I do hope Chris and everyone can look at other mecha anime (how about Macross/Robotech for a start!?) and do a roundtable discussion similar to the current Gundamn!, I am sure there are plenty of mecha anime fans around that would like to listen to live-audio discussion about every aspects.
Don't worry Macross will get its do in the future.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]