Topic Submission Thread Mark II

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Mu La Flaga

Re: Topic Submission Thread Mark II

New idea.
Not like the Death related episode before.

5-10 moments in mecha anime or so that were tearjerkers or outright were so hearfelt.

As opposed to like character deaths that just plain sucked or were unfair.
That is all I have for a new topic submission.
Mu La Flaga

A topic on Super Robot Wars again and a little more in depth.
Since Original Generations characters and mechs were only scratched on a little last time.
Like a little more discussion of them and the games in general, I'm curiious to hear from one SRW fan to another what the Gundamn crew have played.
And same thing would apply to Destiny Gundam if he comes on an episode for Super Robot Wars.

Also perhaps a chance to have Bill Whipton to return for an episode, not neccessarily comedy then? :P
Effect

Not sure if it's been discussed or not yet but a discussion on the show Big O would be interesting to see. Both seasons of course. The positives and negatives. Mecah design. The Batman meets Gundam feel some say they get from it. It's ending and perhaps hope for a continuation.

Still hoping we'll get a discussion about Martian Successor Nadesico unless there already was one but don't think so. I think the movie was discussed once in passing though. Always curious about the panel thought of Akito as a pilot and character. Gai's hot blooded nature as short lived as it was. For what happen to him he still played a big part in the story and Akito's development. Yurika as a ditz girl but a effective and caring captain. How she stacked up against other captains. I'm biased of course as this is one of my favorite mecha anime.

Vandread was also an interesting series that I'm curious if the panel has seen.
Dollow

A discusstion about animation in mecha anime would be cool to hear, and how it has change, some very good and very bad examples. I guess you could debate cel animation and the new animation of today, but that might led to fist fights so watch out.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
thehod

Mu La Flaga wrote:New suggestion idea for the Gundamn crew.
Discussion of a rarer example of an American mecha based series, namely Battletech/Mechwarrior.
Can talk about the games, the novels, the RPG, the one off tv series and all that stuff, not to mention the line up of mechs, weapons, abilities, tactics ect.
dont forget the whole legal troubles with FASA and Harmony Gold.
Mu La Flaga

thehod wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:New suggestion idea for the Gundamn crew.
Discussion of a rarer example of an American mecha based series, namely Battletech/Mechwarrior.
Can talk about the games, the novels, the RPG, the one off tv series and all that stuff, not to mention the line up of mechs, weapons, abilities, tactics ect.
dont forget the whole legal troubles with FASA and Harmony Gold.
Yep that would come part of the whole package deal :P

Buy one product, get Harmony Gold suing you for FREE!
Dollow

Anime Spotlight on Blue Submarine No. 6.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Everywhere I have searched for peace and nowhere have I found it, except in a corner with a book
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Reven

How about an Anime/Mecha spotlight on a more lighthearted mecha series, Megas XLR? I know SBR would have fun with the music for it :twisted:
Chris wrote: Hey, the Guntank a piece of crap. Long Live the Hildolfr!
Dollow

Reven wrote:How about an Anime/Mecha spotlight on a more lighthearted mecha series, Megas XLR? I know SBR would have fun with the music for it :twisted:
Please no.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Dollow

Have to you guy give any ideas into doing a "Character Battle" thing on gundamn? I was on another site and they were doing this for Final Fantasy characters, so I was wondering you think if it would be good to do this for Mecha based characters, like Char of Gundam vs Lelouch Lamperouge of Code Geass, and people on mechatalk would vote for the one to win.

Its just an idea but I think it would be cool to do and be fun for others.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Vent Noir

Will you be doing an episode-by-episode review of the new SRW anime? (I'd like to hear it)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Vent Noir wrote:Will you be doing an episode-by-episode review of the new SRW anime? (I'd like to hear it)
That will probably be Destiny Gundam's thing when he has seen it all.

Anyway I have a big idea to throw in here.
Along the views of super Tomino wars.

Do a spotlight on a mechanical designer, contributor and director.
Masami Obari and some of his work he has done, past, present and future.
Such as Gravion, Dancouga, Dancouga Nova, Dragonnar, Super Robot Wars the Inspectors and designs he contributed to to the SRW games.

Just go a little in depth in this guy, he has made some awesome contributions on various ends and would be worthy of discussion on Gundamn.

Not to mention at least Soul Bro Ryu is a fan of his work at least.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leroy Landers

I have seen that the show sometimes branches out and does other things besides mecha anime. Like reviewing sci-fi shows such as Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, and taking a look at the Star Trek franchise. I would like to see a review of a couple of more obscure series that don't get much attention anymore. I would love for a segment on Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5, Farscape, and Blake's 7. Those shows are somewhat related to previous entries Farscape, Firefly, and nuBSG owe a lot to Blake's 7, DS9 shares the same producer as nuGalactica, Babylon 5 has some similarities to both DS9 and I think the creator of B5 JMS stated that Gundam is one of the inspirations for B5, and Farscape is simply amazing with creature effects by Jim Henson (Dark Crystal anyone?).
Vent Noir

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Will you be doing an episode-by-episode review of the new SRW anime? (I'd like to hear it)
That will probably be Destiny Gundam's thing when he has seen it all.
I was thinking more in the style of the 00/Code Geass R2/Macross Frontier recaps that were done as the shows were airing.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

That would be nice if the other Gundamn crew are going to review Super Robot Wars OGs The Inspector.
Which I hope they are actually.
Dollow

Mu La Flaga wrote:That would be nice if the other Gundamn crew are going to review Super Robot Wars OGs The Inspector.
Which I hope they are actually.
I am pretty sure they said they would never do that again. But I feel, I miss the reviews.
Agent Zero of Team Neo
Dollow's Blog
Dollow's Twitter
Mu La Flaga

If by that you mean large scale reviews then yes, it's a show killer for them.
So not as easy to do.
Chris
Administrator

Yeah, we're not ever doing episode-by-episode reviews for a currently running show again, unless it's something major like Gundam or Macross. And certainly not at the same time. I expect we'll only talk about The Inspector once it's done and have Peter as a guest. In the meantime, you can enjoy his reviews once they get started.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Vent Noir

A more philosophical topic:

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
- Oscar Wilde

I heard that quote a few days ago, and it got me thinking about the role of masks in mecha anime. Often, it's more than a disguise, it symbolises a change in the person himself. Is the man in the mask really Casval Rem Daikun or Char Aznable? Lelouch or Zero? What else can a mask represent?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

Ok so here is something to think about for the Gundamn crew.

Alternate character pairings in Gundam and mecha shows.

What if Kamille ended up with Four if she survived?
What if Kira had stayed with Flay if she survived all the way through SEED?
What if Mirai didn't marry Bright or Hayato and Fraw didn't get married, would Fraw have gone for Amuro?

Same idea applies to other things too.
Like what if say Cagalli and Athrun stayed together as a pair in SEED Destiny?

These are just some example ideas, it's one of those "what if" kinds of topics.