Ep. 028 - Marky Mark & The 30 Bunch!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

Robo Jason Mk1 wrote:
Demon Lord of L5 wrote: On another note Soul Bro we need to organize our Soul cal 4 Battle.
Can I get in on that Soul Cal 4 Action? My 360 is not working right now, yet my GT is Van Dusk.
I don't know this is quite a seeded rivalry which at this moment in time is a war of words until when me and Soul Bro pull our fingers out and get this over and done and Soul Bro's pride is destroyed by yours truly
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
anubis

Great episode! and I was glad to be on. But man, I have a bad habit of my mouth going ahead of my brain and it kind of showed during my response to the model kit question thing. I'm also a fast talker so that didn't help. Oh well, glad that you guys seemed to like my questions.

Good job on the G-saviour review. I'd like to apologize on behalf of all Canadians for subjecting the world to it.

Also, didn't know the demo was out for mobile obs. I gotta download and and my GT is Anubis 32 (original I know).
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

anubis wrote: Good job on the G-saviour review. I'd like to apologize on behalf of all Canadians for subjecting the world to it.
Don't worry about it, Canada was tricked like the rest of us.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
thehod

I got G-Savior on my shelf and have yet to watch it. I kinda want to but at the same time dread seeing it.
Destiny_Gundam

Nice to see that my arguments have persuaded so many people *sarcasm*

Meh, I've never been that persuasive anyways. I just hope it's because my arguments are weak, and not that people dismiss what I say regardless.

Anywho, I have yet to listen to the full ep yet. Three hours is a long time.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Nice to see that my arguments have persuaded so many people *sarcasm*

Meh, I've never been that persuasive anyways. I just hope it's because my arguments are weak, and not that people dismiss what I say regardless.
I don't what was worse your weak defense or Soul Bro's assumptions.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Soul Bro Ryu

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Nice to see that my arguments have persuaded so many people *sarcasm*
Don't worry, Pete. As someone who's found himself in the hotseat many times on the show, I know how you feel ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Destiny_Gundam

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Don't worry, Pete. As someone who's found himself in the hotseat many times on the show, I know how you feel ^_^
Yeah, Chris and Neo like to team up and bully us, don't they? :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hawk of endymion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Don't worry, Pete. As someone who's found himself in the hotseat many times on the show, I know how you feel ^_^
Yeah, Chris and Neo like to team up and bully us, don't they? :lol:
Only when you bring that weak stuff in the lane.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

CanadaMan

Now if it were Neo and Destiny on the hot seat I could understand with the common Canadian background, but last time I checked, SoulBro hasn't been over the border.

Great podcast guys, I'm even more sorry now that I missed the Call-In segment. I should have pulled a WingNut and e-mailed a question or two in. And as for G-Saviour, sometimes you just have to distance yourselves from the fact that it's meant to continue UC and just watch it as a live-action mecha show. Oh, and ignore the reused Starship Troopers stuff.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Areku

I've only listened to the first two segments so far. I wish I'd known you guys were taking multiple questions, 'cause I was torn between a few right up til the end (and it showed!). Oh well, now I know. :wink:

On G-Saviour.... I don't know, I think you guys (Chris and Neo) were a little too harsh towards it. You didn't cross over the line into bashing it, but there were a few parts where, while they were legitimate complaints, almost felt like you were making a mountain out of a molehill. For example; yeah, it's in UC, but so what? Aside from having a UC date and mentioning the now-defunct Federation, it might as well have been an AU with UC origins. After the near-apocalyptic events in Victory, who's to say that weapons technology wasn't purposefully repressed? Not in the sense of arms treaties, but in the sense that scientists and weapons developers might have scrapped a vast majority of Mobile Suits and destroyed much of the blue-print materials on such designs, leaving the next generation with vague memories of what the MS of old were capable of, but otherwise starting from scratch when it came to MS design. Of course, with the knowledge that something like beam shields were possible, there might be some technological developments that seem out of order with prior development cycles.

Or it might have been something radically different from that. The way I see it, it's precisely because we're given so little insight into history (from the perspective of G-Saviour's time frame) that it's ultimately a practice of arbitration and nit-picking to say that G-Saviour doesn't fit with previous UC events. Does the fact that I have to read so heavily into such possibilities indicate weak writing? You betcha. But by the same token, that very vagueness leaves the possibilities wide open to the point that saying "technology has regressed" as if it's a blatantly negative thing comes off as overly-aggressive to me.

*I'm not even going to touch on the disadvantageous circumstances surrounding the movie's production, as D_G already summed them up nicely*

Is G-Saviour good? No. Is it bad? Yes. I myself hated the movie the first time I saw it. But several years ago, I went back and rewatched it, due in part to the fact that it's only 93 minutes. And in knowing what I was in for the second time 'round, I enjoyed it significantly more than that first miserable time I watched it. It was still bad, but in knowing it was bad, it was much more enjoyable the second time through because I wasn't restricting myself to "what Gundam should be". Ultimately, I'd have to say that it's not deserving of the hate that many feel for it, nor even the amount of criticism Chris and Neo brought to bear in this segment. Guys, your complaints were individually valid, but it was the overwhelming manner in which you presented them that rubs me the wrong way. I can tell nothing I say will make you like the movie, and it's unlikely that you'll be able to sway my opinion of it either (or rather, my opinion of your opinion), but I think we can all agree on one thing; like Quess, at least you only have to put up with it for 90 minutes, which is more than what can be said for a few other weak installments in the Gundam franchise.

More comments to come when I finish the episode.
Vent Noir

Always enjoy the show, guys.

I would have liked at least some discussion on the news stories instead of just reporting them (it doesn't have to be a long one). BTW, release date for Super Robot Wars K is April 2nd.

The topic of "mecha cliches that need to be put to bed" came up - a personal one of mine is the "brainwashed female enemy pilot/love interest" (Four, Stella, Marie...) Though I didn't have it clear in my mind when it first came up, this is probably the root cause of my dislike of the whole Marie thing - do the antagonists HAVE to brainwash people for their super-pilot programs? Isn't there anyone who will volunteer to be made into one? (The idea of this was the basis for an RPG character I mentioned in the fanfic section)

To be nasty, how about having said character pretend to have been brainwashed and go over to the protagonists' side, and then betray them?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
hawk of endymion

What people must understand is that I do not hate G-Saviour, but I really can't find any real positives in it. I'm pretty forgiving of weak movies. But G-Saviour broke the cardinal rule, it you're gonna have a weak story, compensate with action, which it did neither.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Nick Izumi

I agree with the caller who commented on the having to skip episodes to avoid spoilers. I don't watch fansubs, its just not my thing and its a real bummer to only get to listen to only parts of the podcast.

I liked the G-Savior bit but I honestly wish you guys would have talked more about the poor quality movie itself rather than the chronological implications of it. Numerous as they were. Much like a review I did of F91, the only defense I ever heard related to Crossbone Gundam, but I wasn't reviewing how it related to that, I was reviewing that movie and just that movie.
I AM A MAN!!! *PUNCH*
I review stuff with MS Paint. www.youtube.com/nickizumi
thanatos

This is how I like my Gundamn!: extremely long and featuring me.

The questions everyone asked were excellent so my hats off to you all.

As for G-Saviour, I must tell you that for a Canadian movie (a Canadian sci-fi movie at that) this is pretty outstanding. Try looking for some of the other fine films produced by the Great White North. You can find them by sifting through the dumpster behind your local Blockbusters.
I believe that 50% of G-Saviour's problems could have been fixed with better management while the other 50% could have been fixed by cutting them a bigger cheque. While D_G was grasping for straws at the end of the show, he was right about the money. When it comes to movies, a bigger budget is likely to give a better product. Especially with sci-fi movies where a lot has to go into the sets and computer graphics. It isn't fair to compare it to Clerks or other low budget movies.

I also didn't think that the story was particularly bad. It could have used some changes (especially more MS action) but most of that could be solved by creating some sort of continuity with the previous series. Of course, I felt the same way about F91 and V (of which I saw the first 20 or so episodes). They introduce entities (Zanscare, Cosmo Babylon) that, like CONSENT, just seem to pop out of nowhere.

I think the movie sufferred from so many weaknesses, that it was doomed from the start. I like to think of it as an experiment. Experiments don't work out the way you want them to all of the time, but as long as you learn something from it, than it was not in vain.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

hawk of endymion wrote:What people must understand is that I do not hate G-Saviour, but I really can't find any real positives in it. I'm pretty forgiving of weak movies. But G-Saviour broke the cardinal rule, it you're gonna have a weak story, compensate with action, which it did neither.
Kinda like Sha Po Lang (aka KillZone in the US), right Neo? I guess that video should come with a spoiler and violence warning, but what do you expect out of a knife fight? Donnie and Wu are awesome. You probably need to watch that more than once to fully appreciate the speed and choreography. The dub for the movie was terrible! Especially the little girl. She made my friends burst out into uncontrolled laughter. I can't help but feel the story had potential though.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The length was really wearing me out, though the questions and discussion were good. If I were to use three Gundams, they'd be Epyon, Wing ver. Ka (not Zero. I can't touch that.), and finally the Ex-S (because I'd be the equivalent of satan). As for a non-Gundam, I really like GM Customs, so I would use this Full Vernian variant. I probably should have followed Wingnut's example and emailed a question or something.

As for topics, I've been meaning to put up this thread for a G Gundam discussion about something specific. I've been waivering between just starting a thread in the Anime forum down below or just submitting the topic directly to Gundamn! since I'm sure the hosts would enjoy it a lot. Maybe you guys can just participate in the thread rather? What do you think should be done??

The G-Saviour segment was a doozy. I didn't know you guys could bicker so much. I wish the discussion was a little more focused instead of amounting to you guys nitpicking over details. I too suffered over the movie years and years ago, but I've been meaning to rewatch it lately. I'm scared, to tell you the truth. I actually like the aesthetic design of the G-Saviour very much, especially Mark's lineart for it. But yes, it's function is pretty stupid. So heavy that you have to drop armor and look like a chicken?? *shakes head*

I do agree with D_G on a certain level. There can be a difference between how good something is and how much I happen like it. For instance, I would never tell anyone that Gundam Wing is the best Gundam out there, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's the series that I appreciate and like the most.

Anyway, I think that's all to that. I'll try to get my ass onto commenting on the other episodes I missed comments for. I'm glad Soul Bro likes his new avatar. I had actually made an identical one and was considering presenting it to him, but I got shafted by the avatar rules suddenly changing. :lol: I guess Areku beat me to the punch, that rascal. =p
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hawk of endymion

thanatos wrote: As for G-Saviour, I must tell you that for a Canadian movie (a Canadian sci-fi movie at that) this is pretty outstanding. Try looking for some of the other fine films produced by the Great White North. You can find them by sifting through the dumpster behind your local Blockbusters.
I believe that 50% of G-Saviour's problems could have been fixed with better management while the other 50% could have been fixed by cutting them a bigger cheque. While D_G was grasping for straws at the end of the show, he was right about the money. When it comes to movies, a bigger budget is likely to give a better product. Especially with sci-fi movies where a lot has to go into the sets and computer graphics. It isn't fair to compare it to Clerks or other low budget movies.
Once again, I don't think the fact that the movie was made in Canada was the issue. Good film can come from anywhere, your point of management was my main arguement. Actually, I would've liked it more Canadian, like maybe incorporating a Neil Pert drum solo throughtout the movie. If that happened, G-Saviour would be one of the greats.

Regarding the budget, lets' not forget, G-Saviour was a TV movie. The amount spent should be sufficient.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

CanadaMan

Nick Izumi wrote:I agree with the caller who commented on the having to skip episodes to avoid spoilers. I don't watch fansubs, its just not my thing and its a real bummer to only get to listen to only parts of the podcast.
I also agree, though not about the fansubs part. In my case it was about Code Geass, I had actually jumped on the bandwagon of R1 after R2 started, and it took me until episode 9 or 10 before I was finally caught up. It was even more difficult since that was when I met Chris, Neo and SoulBro at Yasumicon. However, that situation was more my fault than anything else since at first I had dismissed Code Geass without giving it a chance.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Valmanway

hawk of endymion wrote: Actually, I would've liked it more Canadian, like maybe incorporating a Neil Pert drum solo throughtout the movie.
Or maybe even Canadian Super Group Rush doing the OP!
jntymuron31

RE:

[color=yellow][quote="Seraphic"][quote="hawk of endymion"]What people must understand is that I do not hate G-Saviour, but I really can't find any real positives in it. I'm pretty forgiving of weak movies. But G-Saviour broke the cardinal rule, it you're gonna have a weak story, compensate with action, which it did neither.[/quote]

Kinda like [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZs48lJX ... re=related]Sha Po Lang[/url] (aka KillZone in the US), right Neo? I guess that video should come with a [color=orange]spoiler and violence warning[/color], but what do you expect out of a knife fight? Donnie and Wu are awesome. You probably need to watch that more than once to fully appreciate the speed and choreography. The dub for the movie was [i]terrible![/i] Especially the little girl. She made my friends burst out into uncontrolled laughter. I can't help but feel the story had potential though.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The length was really wearing me out, though the questions and discussion were good. If I were to use three Gundams, they'd be Epyon, Wing ver. Ka (not Zero. I can't touch that.), and finally the Ex-S (because I'd be the equivalent of satan). As for a non-Gundam, I really like GM Customs, so I would use [url=http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/hobbyj ... 79n-fb.htm]this Full Vernian variant[/url]. I probably should have followed Wingnut's example and emailed a question or something.

As for topics, I've been meaning to put up this thread for a G Gundam discussion about something specific. I've been waivering between just starting a thread in the Anime forum down below or just submitting the topic directly to Gundamn! since I'm sure the hosts would enjoy it a lot. Maybe you guys can just participate in the thread rather? What do you think should be done??

The G-Saviour segment was a doozy. I didn't know you guys could bicker so much. I wish the discussion was a little more focused instead of amounting to you guys nitpicking over details. I too suffered over the movie years and years ago, but I've been meaning to rewatch it lately. I'm scared, to tell you the truth. I actually like the aesthetic design of the G-Saviour very much, especially Mark's lineart for it. But yes, it's function is pretty stupid. So heavy that you have to drop armor and look like a chicken?? *shakes head*

I do agree with D_G on a certain level. There can be a difference between how good something is and how much I happen like it. For instance, I would [i]never[/i] tell anyone that Gundam Wing is the best Gundam out there, but I wouldn't hesitate to say that it's the series that I appreciate and like the most.

Anyway, I think that's all to that. I'll try to get my ass onto commenting on the other episodes I missed comments for. I'm glad Soul Bro likes his new avatar. I had actually made an identical one and was considering presenting it to him, but I got shafted by the avatar rules suddenly changing. :lol: I guess Areku beat me to the punch, that rascal. =p[/quote][/color]