Ep. 028 - Marky Mark & The 30 Bunch!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
jntymuron31

I've watched SPL on DVD a few years back, the action was amazing. In any event, I've watched G-Savior as well, and now that I've heard about the comments from the podcast, I share most of the sentiments that was on the show. Particularly, if we are talking about UC0083, I could understand why the suit would look that bulky, but we are talking Universal Century "bloody" 223, shouldn't the technology be far more advanced than looking like something from the old Battlestar Galatica show? The script, meanwhile, wasn't that bad although they could have skipped the hooky stuff. Now as far as the story goes, my only complaint is that they could have done something that would link the last 80 years between V-Gundam and this stuff, specifically, I wished someone who was just as capable as Tomino could have written that script.

As far as my Master Grade model kits goes, I have a dislike with the earlier model kits, as well as the Gundam Wing 1/100 kits, it got loose rather quickly on arm joints or leg joints (or both). The later versions was much nicer although throughout my building on each of those kits, I rarely (or almost never) use the rub-ins.
Valmanway

SPL? Oh yeah, that's awesome. VCD doesn't do it justice, which is what I watched it on. I second Seraphic's recommendation. The fights are freaking intense.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Valmanway wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote: Actually, I would've liked it more Canadian, like maybe incorporating a Neil Pert drum solo throughtout the movie.
Or maybe even Canadian Super Group Rush doing the OP!
We could only wish. But there's still hope with 30th anniversity show.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Jack-O

I've been stuck in my home for three days due to ice and Gundamn is getting me through it. Great show guys :D
ZeroBusterXX

This one was hilarious. It is weird knowing what everyone sounds like. I actually put off watching G-Savior until last year and I should have put it off a few more years. You guys are exactly right, and I hope we don't get another stinker move for the anniversary this year *cough* SEED Movie *cough*
hotlimit

I'd love to build a Gunpla while listening to Gundamn, some day...

I'm only to the end of the G-Savior segment, but I can see how Destiny Gundam can like the show. The first time I saw a proper sampling of sci-fi Anime when I was at someone's apartment where they had cable. Cartoon Network showed Cowboy Bebop, 0083:Stardust Memory, and Pilot Candidate. Cowboy Bebop freaked me out (the episode where they were turning people into monkeys), 0083 put me to sleep (the episode where Kou gets all pissy in Hong Kong and later helps rebuild an MA with Kelly), but Pilot Candidate had some interesting characters and they were kids in a school and I could relate or whatever.

Granted when I finally saw the rest of Pilot Candidate around 6 years later, I have to say I wasn't impressed. There isn't much of a story, all of the characters fall into lame anime archetypes, the schoolkids thing has been redone to death, etc. I can accept that it's a pretty bad show now, but I can also look back on it as one of the first shows where I was like 'huh, this is different' and not in a bad way (like just from 10 minutes of 0083, I was put off by Kou's character).

Is Cowboy Bebop better? By far, but at the time it was giving me nightmares about being turned into a monkey while Candidate was giving me slightly more pleasant dreams about effeminate guys and catgirls. It's the whole 'bad feeling'/'good feeling' thing Destiny was talking about. To this day when I see the opening of Candidate, complete with its goofy theme song I still get that nice 'hey I remember the first time I saw this' feeling, even if by the end of it I'm saying 'hey this was a bit of garbage'.

So yeah, I wouldn't make any attempt to defend Pilot Candidate, just like I don't think anyone should try to defend G-Savior, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone would like it. As for it being cannon, one thing I've had to come to terms with in being a Gundam fan is that there is a lot of stuff that is total cannon that wouldn't have a chance in hell if it had to be backed by an American fanbase. I'm talking comic books and novels and even G-Savior. I've found if you're gonna love Gundam you gotta love the whole package.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Jack-O wrote:I've been stuck in my home for three days due to ice and Gundamn is getting me through it. Great show guys :D
Glad to help! I guess there was enough heat coming off the G-Saviour segment to keep you warm.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

Kavik Ryx

Well Neo, if Pilot Candidate is the worst you've seen, I might as well pop it in right now. Though it can't be that much worse than MD Geist.
hawk of endymion

Kavik Ryx wrote:Well Neo, if Pilot Candidate is the worst you've seen, I might as well pop it in right now. Though it can't be that much worse than MD Geist.
It's worst I've seen in its entirety. I've only seen the first episode of Geist.

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

skyknight

Another highly-caffeinated ep dudes, thanks!

I won't comment on the whole G-Savior thingy, since I haven't seen it at all (may see it if anyone gives it for me for free). The main point should be whether or not Sunrise did the right decision to go for a live-action film for the 20th Anniversary, as there are limitations on live-action verses animation; Roger Ebert did a segment on animation and CGI on his show several years ago, which I thought was quite good as he compared Batman both in film and in animation.

The viewer's call-in's are quite interesting, who would Lulu killed to save the world, I think a better question should be between Eupthy, Nunally, or C.C. (NOT Rivalz), as each lady is pretty significant to Lulu himself. Gunpla kits are getting better in details, and after watching my bros abandoning their 1/144 Gundam W kits, PLEASE avoid the 1/144 Gundam W series. The HGUC line is still good, it's a shame that I don't have resource and time to build'em.

The 30th Anniversary... well Sunrise can do several things at once as they did for the 20th; I'm on the wagon for a animated Unicorn, as it should bring the needed closure for the UC timeline; an OVA adoptation of the Gundam: Origins should be considered as a way to introduce the fans to the original Gundam without being turned off by old animation/themes. A movie compilation of 00? Could work, but make sure everything is done with attention for high quality.

Cliches that I want to see eliminated from mecha shows, plenty... boy who pilots mecha by chance, please end that! I do want to see a girl/young lady to take the lead in a Gundam series for once. The motive of the evil dude, does it have to be to rule the world or the total elimination of one specific group? And the damn Gundamjacked! It should've ended with Gundam SEED/Destiny, yet it happens in Code Geass S1 and R2, if you are to have a special unit that can change the balance of power, you better damn protect it!

As for anime, man there's so many to choose. I do hope there could be a round table discussion between mods and users for each quarter of the year, it can be about whether the series was over-hyped or was it ground-breaking, who would enjoy the series...

But I'll stop here, thanks guys, and I do hope that I will the opportunity to do a call-in in the future.
AceWhatever

skyknight wrote: The 30th Anniversary... well Sunrise can do several things at once as they did for the 20th; I'm on the wagon for a animated Unicorn, as it should bring the needed closure for the UC timeline; an OVA adoptation of the Gundam: Origins should be considered as a way to introduce the fans to the original Gundam without being turned off by old animation/themes. A movie compilation of 00? Could work, but make sure everything is done with attention for high quality.
In what sense would animated Unicorn be closure to UC? Certainly not chronologically that's for sure.
skyknight

Hmm, should've been UC universe, instead of timeline.

The UC era ended with F91 and Victory + G-Savior, of course, many hardcore UC fans aren't satisfy with that, so Sunrise could produce a series that can attract fans of UC and alternative universes.
Tipsy McStagger

I actually own G-Savior and everything you guys said about it is true. I'm watching the originial Battlestar Galactica on T.V. as I type this out and the sets and production are better than G-Savior and that was in 1978. Hell Degrassi is even a better made Canadian show.
Soul Bro Ryu

Tipsy McStagger wrote:Hell Degrassi is even a better made Canadian show.
Oh, no! You said the magic word. Degrassi. Neo's adoration for that show is endless. Then again, he isn't alone, otherwise Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes wouldn't have made so many apperances on it. Wonder why he forgot to mention Degrassi during the discussion ~_~

Personally, You Can't Do That On Television had better sets than G-Saviour. YCDTOTV is the single greatest achievement of Canadian Television programming, so says this American. Only second to Danger Bay ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Battosai28

Wow, I can't believe that it took me a week to finish that episode. I love hearing myself talk, so I'm surprised it took me so long. I loved the G-Saviour segment, and can't wait for SEED.

Now to explain myself for taking my sweet time. I was busy filling out applications to study abroad the next academic year in Tokyo, which took a long time because some of the forms were clearly designed to be filled out in Kanji (they seriously gave about half an inch for "country of origin")

Now assuming that I do get accepted, I promise to climb the 20 million yen Gundam statue and have a picture taken of myself waving a gundamn flag (or at least stand next to it)

Also, I have to ask Neo if there is a spot open for "Asian correspondent" in the Gundamn News Tower"
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
hawk of endymion

Battosai28 wrote: Also, I have to ask Neo if there is a spot open for "Asian correspondent" in the Gundamn News Tower"
You get Gundamn an interview with Tomino, I'll make you "CHIEF Asian Correspondent"!

B.A., M.A., PhD,

[email protected]

CanadaMan

hawk of endymion wrote:
Battosai28 wrote: Also, I have to ask Neo if there is a spot open for "Asian correspondent" in the Gundamn News Tower"
You get Gundamn an interview with Tomino, I'll make you "CHIEF Asian Correspondent"!
Whereas if you get an interview with Fukuda, you'll only be "CHEF Asian Correspondent"
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Demon Lord of L5
Location: DARWEN IN THE COUNTY OF LANCASHIRE IN THE KINGDOM OF ENGLAND

So I'm guessing that I would be the European Correspondent

On another note can people stop saying Soul Bro Ryu and his Merry Men,please? pretty please? Due to my over active ,twisted imagination is giving me a images from Mel Brooks' Robin Hood:Men in Tights with Soul Bro dressed like Robin Hood serenading Emma Sheen dressed like Made Marion and all of his men dressed like the Merry Men and singing and dancing to Men in Tights.
COME AND HAVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR HARD ENOUGH!!!

BECAUSE I THE DEMON LORD OF L5, ODENST
WILL NOT BACK DOWN TO THAT CHALLENGE
Battosai28

Demon Lord of L5 wrote:So I'm guessing that I would be the European Correspondent

On another note can people stop saying Soul Bro Ryu and his Merry Men,please? pretty please? Due to my over active ,twisted imagination is giving me a images from Mel Brooks' Robin Hood:Men in Tights with Soul Bro dressed like Robin Hood serenading Emma Sheen dressed like Made Marion and all of his men dressed like the Merry Men and singing and dancing to Men in Tights.
And of course Saji is Little John

Also, what promotion do I get if I can somehow obtain Tomino's psychological records. (OK that was in bad taste even for me)
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
thanatos

Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Oh, no! You said the magic word. Degrassi. Neo's adoration for that show is endless.
Has he been made aware of Degrassi: The Next Generation? It's just like the old show (whether that's a compliment or not depends on your opinion).
Soul Bro Ryu wrote:Personally, You Can't Do That On Television had better sets than G-Saviour. YCDTOTV is the single greatest achievement of Canadian Television programming, so says this American. Only second to Danger Bay ^_^
What? No Reboot? No Kids in the Hall? Maybe they never made it down to the states.