Ep. 033 - Last Rites

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 033 - Last Rites

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 033 - "Last Rites"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 122 min., 44 sec. (2:02:44) - 56.1 MB MB
- Remastered Version: Coming Soon!

Special Guest Host: Austin Blake (2nd Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:10:34

02. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:10:34 - 0:11:10

03. 1st Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season Two: Episodes 19-21 Reviews"
Runtime: 0:11:10 - 0:36:10

04. Preview: Next Time on Level Nine! - "Resident Evil Quality Control"
Runtime: 0:36:10 - 0:37:31

05. 2nd Segment "Gundam Round-Up!: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED CE 73 Stargazer"
Runtime: 0:37:31 - 0:54:29

06. Florida Oriental Trading (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:54:29 - 0:56:09

07. 3rd Segment: "Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Season Two: Episodes 22-25 Reviews & Final Thoughts on Series"
Runtime: 0:56:09 - 1:53:04

08. Preview: Next Time on Flip the Script! - "SBR's AMV YouTube Channel Critique"
Runtime: 1:53:04 - 1:55:12

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:55:12 - 2:02:44

In proper fashion, we not only finish our Gundam Round-ups with a discussion about the Original Net Animation, "MSG SEED CE 73 Stargazer", but also our reviews on Gundam 00 come to a close with reviews on Eps. 19 - 25! We'd also like to thank these folks:

- Austin Blake, a.k.a The General: for joining us again on our last Round-up into the SEED universe.

- Edwin Perodin, a.k.a Chaosmeika: for creating the new VOTOMs background for MAHQ's Twitter Account.

- Dale Rausch, a.k.a, the co-webmaster himself: for redesigning the MechaTalk Forums and saving all of our eyes.

- Alex Benson, a.k.a Snoops619: for submitting the Newtype ping sound effect. Soon after he emailed it to me, I couldn't wait to use it. Thanks a mil, Limeyman!

- Kaioshin-Sama: For campaigning "Gundamn! @ MAHQ" at many websites across the dataverse, recommending the show to many folks across different websites. Check out the anime blog that he contributes to, Anime History!

- RRobert184: Director of a great YouTube channel dedicated to building Gunpla, who did a commercial for "Gundamn! @ MAHQ"! In it, he says that it's great to listen to when your building models and we really appreciate the time he took to endorse our show! Peep his YouTube channel @ Gundam.tk!

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - MySpace - FaceBook - Gundam.tk (RRobert184's Youtube Channel) - Anime History (Kaioshin-Sama's Anime Blog) -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Ep. 033 - Last Rites

Wow, 18 months of 00 and the end of the gundam round-up, real milestone there guys. I never really watched Stargazer, but with such shining recommendation as "not as bad as Destiny" I may have to check out.

Oh one more thing: I liked this episode.
[[lorem ipsum]]
snoops619

Loved the newtype censor at 29:48! I thought my TwitterFox had received some tweets!

I agree that StarGazer was a great show and I wish they had've made more of it, even if just a few more eps. I like how the only props that Nena has got over the 1.5 years you've been reviewing 00 has been capping Wang.
And I will defy you all and say that Gundam 00 is definitely in my top five. I don't know where but definitely there.

What would happen if you put Setsuna, Sven and Heero in one room?
Last edited by snoops619 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
manmiles

I want more Troll.
Kavik Ryx

Great show guys. Spot on on both Stargazer and 00.

Actually, when Chris brought up the whole Susanoo being little more than a Union Flag with a mask, if anything, that was Graham's character. Most Gundam series have the masked dude around symbolically as a man who hides more than he gives on. As for Graham and his MISTAA BUSHIDO persona, he was basically little more than the overglorified grunt he always was. He was Anti-Char almost.

About the nitpicks everyone gives, really, Ali did have to go out like a punk. What else could he have done? The GN particles taking everyone to Naked Space (Awesome name by the way Soul Bro) to solve their issues, I hate to say this but it kind of went down a similar line of Evangelion, or perhaps more Ideon. People must solve their issues right there right now, or there would be no hope for humanity whatsoever. And the Gagas, I think I must be the only person out there who really liked the idea.

Yeah, 00 does not reach the level of top 5 Gundam Series. But for all it's worth, it's most definitely in the top 10 animated iterations to date.
manmiles

On the whole 'GN Particles + Naked Space = Deus ex machina' issue brought up in this episode, a lot of these people who throw around words like 'Deus ex machina' really don't understand what a DexM really is or what it really consists of- a plot conclusion or resolution brought about by something unexpected and/or never referenced to through out the story. The martians all dropping dead of the common cold in 'War of the Worlds' is the
perfect example.

Or 'Shark-Repellant Bat-Spray.'

We've been seeing 'Naked Space' for the last ten or so episodes and what it allows people to do and when Setsuna unleashes the full power of naked space to allow everyone to solve their problems, which is what the 00 Gundam was intended to do.
Destiny_Gundam

Not much else to say about Stargazer. I liked it.

So far as the 00 episode reviews went, the major thing I have to say is that episode 22 made Destiny_Gundam a very happy shipper :D

The ending to 00 was certainly very awesome. A great finale. However, I think I'd still say the final battle of Macross Frontier was more exicting (if only because of the better music).

As a whole, 00 has been a great ride. As some one who didn't become bitter after Destiny, I went in with a cheery disposition. While there are some things I'd have changed (I'd have liked more time dedicated to character interactions), it certainly makes it into my top 5, probably even my top 3.

So no more 00 on Gundamn... until the movie, that is. So until then, I only have one last thing to say:

I LOOOOVE YOOOOOOU, I TRUUUUUST YOOOOOOOU
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

manmiles wrote:On the whole 'GN Particles + Naked Space = Deus ex machina' issue brought up in this episode, a lot of these people who throw around words like 'Deus ex machina' really don't understand what a DexM really is or what it really consists of- a plot conclusion or resolution brought about by something unexpected and/or never referenced to through out the story. The martians all dropping dead of the common cold in 'War of the Worlds' is the
perfect example.

And therein lies the problem - people like to casually toss out terms like "jump the shark," "trainwreck," "Deus ex Machina" and "Mary Sue" without knowing what any of those terms mean. It's become a meme, so they think they're making a point by just saying these terms without actually explaining how it supposedly applies to a specific show.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
manmiles

Chris wrote:And therein lies the problem - people like to casually toss out terms like "jump the shark," "trainwreck," "Deus ex Machina" and "Mary Sue" without knowing what any of those terms mean. It's become a meme, so they think they're making a point by just saying these terms without actually explaining how it supposedly applies to a specific show.
Maybe there should be an internet forum IQ tests all people must take before joining a forum. But then a lot of these people must have incredibly simple lives if they can spend so much time spewing vitriol on the fact that Lockon 2.0 and Anew are knocking boots after knowing each other for four months.

Also, they should remember the most important things I learnt from basic school level maths, always show your workings out. Why is Gundam 00 jumping the shark? Why is Kira a Marty Sue?

But I really, really enjoyed 00, one of the better Gundam shows in my opinion and listening to the Gundamn reviews for the second season have been a hoot.
CanadaMan

Great episode guys!

Nice to see SoulBro still holds a candle in his heart for Saji after 50 episodes. Makes me wonder if he'll appear in the 00 Movie?

Nice unintentional rhyme when signing off Chris.

Despite all of the issues you've had in the past with reviewing 00 episodes (looking at you Gundamn ep. 14), it's finally over. From start to finish of 00, you've reviewed so many other series, some of which were also airing at the time. That alone deserves an achievement (or trophy if any of you three have a PS3).

I'm looking forward to seeing what the show will herald from now on.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I know I shouldn't be laughing, but it was very funny to me when Chris said "a wounded Wang". Immature, I know. :roll: And I really liked your old man, "GET OFF MY LAWN" voice, too, Chris. =)

This was a very good episode. Congratulations on finishing your reviews for 00! =o Of course, Gundamn! and Mechatalk as a whole completely spoil everything for me, but I find that I have better opinions of things that you guys talk about first, anyway. I don't really care. I mean despite having heard all the plot points, I really loved Code Geass, or at least what I've seen of it. [AS] has been kicking me in the balls as usual.

No more Gundam to cover?? What to do next? The Big O? Escaflowne?

I think I have a little something for Neo. See that card on the middle left?? Guntank has officially entered its God Mode. Not sure why its treads are wire guided also, though. =p And Soul Bro will find this amusing. I think it's awesome. It showed up in the Random Image thread. Chris's likes and quirks are a little harder to pin down for me. Let's see if anyone else can figure something in my place. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
jroy1117

*please delete this post*
Last edited by jroy1117 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Chris
Administrator

jroy1117 wrote:Speaking of Gundam Unicorn.... oh yee of little faith do you believe now?
What is such a big problem that people have with me wanting to wait for confirmation about something before believing it? It's not enough that there's troll threads on 4chan specifically about this, now I have to hear it here too?
Destiny_Gundam

It's one of those "Where there's smoke" deals. With all the half verified info floating around, it was clear something was going down. Yet you insistantly refused to believe anything until it was 100% confirmed. Which is the smart thing, sure, but you weren't getting excited like 'everyone else'. As such, you kept harshing on their buzz by reminding them that there's the off chance they'll be dissapointed, and they resent you for that. And, now, since it is confirmed, people can hold it over you because they "knew all along."
Last edited by Destiny_Gundam on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
CanadaMan

I think that Chris is one to report the clear facts and big picture, no matter the news, rather than snippets here and there.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Teki

Loved the episode like usually, gonna miss the Gundam Roundups. I was surprised nobody mentioned the epic end battle of 00 with "I am Gundam" Versus "Amuro Ray in his RX-78-2". Mean i missed that whole 0-Gundam's GN-Drive went to Ribbons, so was nice. Agreed the whole idea that series was a good show not the best Gundam but still was great Gundam and great way back into the Gundam Series.

Enjoyed the news talk was very fun about the spider robot in Japan. Hope find more fun topics to talk about and waiting for next episode.
ThaDDeusBonzu

Nice episode. Really had the potential to be a showkiller, but fortunately that wasn't the case. I found it humorous that the roundup for STARGAZER was about half as long as the actual show. The side-story show was an interesting concept, now if only that could ever happen...
No more king arthur until the movie? That makes this fanboy sad. ah well, at least we have Soulbro to pick on.
As for my top five, 00 is in it, maybe as third or fourth. Then again, I haven't finished X, so that's likely to change. all in all, a good episode, keeo up the good work.

Oh, and by the way, what as the song that as played as the outro for the last segment? I'm curious.
SDGO Taiwan ign: RougeMK
Vent Noir

So... onto Macross Roundup now?

To be honest, I'm relieved that the 00 reviews are over with (I've been skipping them for the last few episodes), and we can get on to discussing a greater variety of stuff.

By the way, were none of the news articles I submitted considered newsworthy?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:And, now, since it is confirmed, people can hold it over you because they "knew all along."
Detractors have nothing to hold over my head because I never denied the existence of the Unicorn anime. I just like to have something more solid that Italian blogs, because information translated across three languages tends to get messed up somewhere along the line. As for all these people getting excited over little snippets, they only lead themselves to disappointment by going on so little, as was the case with 0081.
Soul Bro Ryu

ThaDDeusBonzu wrote:Oh, and by the way, what as the song that as played as the outro for the last segment? I'm curious.
Not sure which one you might be interested in so here's all three! Hope this helps ^_^

Track 1: "Caroline, No"
Artist: Bullion (J-Dilla vs. The Beach Boys)
Album: "Pet Sounds in the Key of Dee" (Legally Free Album, Released as a Tribute to Jay Dee)
Used: Right at the start of last segment. (1:55:35)

Track 2: "Searchers"
Artist: Amon Tobin
Album: "Out From Out Where"
Used: During final segment (1:56:54)

Track 3: "Card Sharks" (Theme Song)
Artist: Edd Kalehoff
Used: During Production Sign-off (2:02:16)

Thanks for the comments so far gang, and Seraphic, I'm rockin' the hell out of that picture on my Twitter! Props to you, my friend!

By the way, I've gotta agree with Chris, the internet is full of half-truths and misinterpreted news (if you think these rumblings in the anime industry is bad, the video game industry is far worse as of late). I can't blame him for waiting for the word of God from Sunrise or from a reputable source like NewType. It's absolutely a smart move and in his line of work, a necessity.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu