Ep. 026 - Milquetoast Buffet

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
thanatos

I just finished the segment on Soul Bro's Men.

I don't know if these have been mentioned elsewhere but here's a list off the top of my head:
  • - The young Zeon mechanic from 08th MS Team who asks Norris if they'll ever get back to space before getting killed on the Kerguren.
    - Mamoru Kodate from Fafner (Goubain!!!)
    - Jun Lee from Aquarion (typical computer geek/otaku)
    - Bart Garsus from Vandread (useless and annoying but later becomes respectable)
    - Kyohei Tachibana from Bakuratsu Tenshi (so useless he barely shows up after the first few episodes)
    - Shinobu Saruwatari from Godannar (ignored by everyone, even his own brother, for the entire show)
    - Kojiro from The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (loves planes, terrified of women)
CanadaMan

thanatos wrote:I just finished the segment on Soul Bro's Men.
- Mamoru Kodate from Fafner (Goubain!!!)
No, he's actually fairly decent, mask or no mask. I'd say either Kenji Kondou or Kouyou Kasugai pre-mid-season
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
snoops619

Now that we all know the criteria that we must fufill to get into that elite club known as Soul Bro's Men, we all have something to live for.

I enjoyed the segment on Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. It has been a long time since I saw it and when I did I was about 8 years old and watching it on Cartoon Network when it was showing Gundam in the UK. Good times. The entire segment was like a trip down memory lane. I remember even at that age thinking that the ending was rather disapointing and silly to think that there'd be no more wars just because there were no more Gundams.

I think I may still have it on a tape-recorded VHS somewhere. On a side note, does anyone know when the Blu-ray Gundam Wing Box-set is comming out in the UK?
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Kavik Ryx

I will say this. For all of my ragging on Gundam Wing for being boring and pretentious, I liked Endless Waltz. Everything said in the segment was right on the money. And while it still has many of the flaws of the series, it has the benefit of being especially shallow. It doesn't wallow in philosophy or pleasure itself. Also, it is the one time I actually had even an ounce of respect for Relena for finally dropping her pacifist ideology. It's when she finally got that pacifism is not an ideology but an ideal, an ideal that cannot just be wished into existence. On the downside, EW made Wu Fei out to be an even bigger idiot.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Areku wrote:
Chris wrote:Bruno, Jacop and even the Red Team are too awesome to be Soul Bro's men. It has to be someone even weaker, maybe one of Loran's hometown friends from the Moon.
How 'bout Keith? Keith is certainly a cut above Soul Bro's other "men", but he has a lot of the main traits (underdog, something of an everyman, and not too terribly tied down to either warring faction; he's just trying to get by). He's not a perfect pick, and is more appealing than his potential peers, but if Keith doesn't fit as Turn A's "Man", I don't think anyone does.
Keith's way too cool to be SBR's man. I believe SBR's man in Turn A was chosen during the recording of the roundup.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, as well as the birthday wishes (including those from earlier threads). That "All the Soul Bro's Men" segment and the responses to it are on of the best gifts someone could ask for. ^_^

I thought of someone from Dai-Guard that I couldn't remember originally during the taping. For anyone that's seen it, remember the douche that shows up later on in the series that was a former student of Shiroda, the Daiguard's Military Liason. His name is "Toru Saeki" but he always reminded me of "Alex P. Keaton" from Family Ties, mainly from his look and attitude. The guy started out as such a jerk, but then became cool but the butt of many jokes in the latter half in the show.

My Man Draft Picks - Mecha Anime/Manga/Games:
- Toru Saeki - Dai-Guard
- Johnny Ridden ("The Crimson Lightning") - Mobile Suit Gundam MSV (and Supplemental Stories)
- Bumblebee & Chip Chase - Transformers G1
- Arvin (of the Heavy Armour Tank Wise Duck team) - Tech Romancer (big homage to Bernie Wiseman from "Gundam 0080")
- "Donkey" - 20th Century Boys (this might be stretching it, but since a "mecha" plays a big role in one or the many climaxes of the story, I lumped it in here. (This manga is required reading, especially if you like conspiracy thrillers like Lost, Code Geass, or Heroes!)
- Bowie Emerson/Bowie Grant - The Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross/Robotech Masters
- Kouji Aiba - Infinite Ryvius (another rare case main character pick)
- Koyo Kasugai - Fafner of the Azure: Dead Aggressor (before he became awesome, thanks for reminding me, CanadaMan).
- Cameron Bloom - Mobile Suit Gundam (who came through in Char's Counterattack. See, sometimes my peeps do pay off!)
- Mackie Stingray - Bubblegum Crisis/Crash

Honorable Mentions - Various Anime/Manga/Games:
- Nobuyuki Masaki (Tenchi's Dad) - Tenchi Muyo!
- Yamcha - Dragon Ball Z (since apparently Krillin is too cool for me. When the hell did that happen?)
- Dan Hibiki - The Street Fighter series
- Daniel O'Connell - Master Keaton
- Sie Kensou - Psycho Soldier/The King of Fighters
- Shingo Yabuki - The King of Fighters
- Etoh - Record of Lodoss War (although he becomes pimp later)
- Nobuko Nizaki - Video Girl Ai (one of the few girls to make my list)
- Koichi Hirose - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Series 4)
- Tatsuya Kimura - Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit
- Noboru Yoshikawa - Great Teacher Onizuka (who's based upon Shinji Ikari from Evangelion)
- Touta Matsuda - Death Note (another cat that comes through towards the series' climax)
- Richard Brown - Monster
- Luigi - Super Mario Bros.
- Charlie Brown - Peanuts (obvious)

That's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm sure there's more, and if I think of them I'll add them to the thread. Keep those suggestions coming! ^_^
Last edited by Soul Bro Ryu on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
snoops619

Raoul de Château-Renaud from Gankutsuou.

(I'm not sure if it's mecha but I think I recall you saying that it had mecha in. I'm only on episode 8.)
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
JQuilty

Soul Bro, you forgot Johnny Sasaki from Metal Gear Solid. If that isn't a Soul-Bro man, I don't know who is. :D
Battosai28

You have some awesome picks there soul bro. Cameron Bloom and especially Matsuda are two of my personal favorites. I do have to contest the Johnny Riden pick though. Even though I only know him from Encounters in space, he really did not come off as a punk to me. He did definately get screwed over by Char's infamy though
Like all good things, my 318 days in Japan have come to an end. Thank you everyone for such an awesome year!
CanadaMan

Happy Birthday from the frozen wastelands of Edmonton, Alberta, SoulBro!
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
Destiny_Gundam

Mmmmmm, toast....

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Incidentally, I was baking butterscotch brownies while listening to this ep.

Gundam 00 season 2 certainly gets off to a great start. I still think that scene when the damaged Exia turns around and the rock music kicks in is all sorts of badass.

Endless Waltz is the one consistant part of Wing I always thought was good. While Wing went from great to horrible to stupid fun, EW was always awesome.

Hm, I wonder what's worse. Soul Bro's men, or my perchant to forgive everything and end up liking girls like Proist and Nena.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Kavik Ryx

It just occurred to me that you forgot to mention the greatest part of Endless Waltz, "Last Impression."
AmuroNT1

I dunno if I'd call LI the best part of the film, but it's certainly worth mention. I guess I'm just burnt out because it's all Banpresto ever uses these days in Super Robot Wars.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Destiny_Gundam

White Reflection is waaaaay better. I'm so thankful to YTV for putting the OVA ending on the movie version when they aired it. Introduced me to such a great song.
Kavik Ryx

Destiny Gundam, you're just like my brother.

Oh yeah, in EW you finally get to see Noin really kick ass in a Mobile Suit.
ZeonsSilverStar

Great episode as always it brought back memories. My opinion of Wing has changed over the years but I always liked Endless Waltz.

I also liked how no time was wasted in returning to the action in S2 of 00. I was however alittle angry that I had to wait to see Graham fight again. That being said it was worth it.

And on Soul Bro's I wanna put forth Mashymre Cello , before he became a cyber newtype of couse or maybe Glemy Toto.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
thanatos

Kavik Ryx wrote:It just occurred to me that you forgot to mention the greatest part of Endless Waltz, "Last Impression."
The scene in the movie where Heero picks up the Wing Zero Custom while that music is playing was so awesome when I was a kid (it still is). I'm pretty sure that it was that exact moment when I became hooked on Gundam.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:I'm so thankful to YTV for putting the OVA ending on the movie version when they aired it.
That screwed me up so bad when I finally bought the DVD, wondering where the ending I was used to had gone. Until then I just rewatched the old vhs tape I recorded it on. I still have it somewhere, but it degraded badly from constant rewatching of my favorite parts.
Destiny_Gundam

thanatos wrote:That screwed me up so bad when I finally bought the DVD, wondering where the ending I was used to had gone.
Haha, yeah, me too. I knew the endings were different, but I didn't think they used Last Impression again for the movie ending.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Hm, I wonder what's worse. Soul Bro's men, or my perchant to forgive everything and end up liking girls like Proist and Nena.
***shudder****Your pedo ways are definitely worse.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Areku

hawk of endymion wrote:***shudder****Your pedo ways are definitely worse.
*Senses a "Vices of Gundamn!" special...* :roll: