Ep. 023 - Checkmate!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Kavik Ryx

hawk of endymion wrote: And of course, CC lives on in the CC body pillow.
I wouldn't go that far, but CC has quickly become both my favorite female character and non-villain character in anime.

Also: Bless me Neo for I have sinned. I shipped for Macross Frontier :twisted: :wink:
Rurushu Ranperuji

I prefer This but it's the same principle.

Honestly, had Lelouch lived it would have ruined the ending for me, I just found the notion of the ultimate sacrifice for the people he cared about incredibly romantic. Also I believe Soul Bro mentioned he thinks this show deserves a type of epilogue, I'm almost sure we'll get one with some of those picture drama's that are coming out on blu-ray, gorgeous and full HD picture drama's at that =)
snoops619

Rurushu Ranperuji wrote: I prefer This but it's the same principle.
:shock: And I thought my C.C. body pillow was sutably NSFW...
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Rurushu Ranperuji wrote:
I prefer This but it's the same principle.

Honestly, had Lelouch lived it would have ruined the ending for me, I just found the notion of the ultimate sacrifice for the people he cared about incredibly romantic. Also I believe Soul Bro mentioned he thinks this show deserves a type of epilogue, I'm almost sure we'll get one with some of those picture drama's that are coming out on blu-ray, gorgeous and full HD picture drama's at that =)
I think you'll more use out of the mousepads.

In terms of an epilogue, I'm good the way it is. The creators of Code Geass (I believe) wanted people to come to their own conclusions on the characters endings. Doing an epilogue or follow-up might cheapen the show. You don't always have to know everything about the characters for a show to be standout. People get caught with the characters in show too much and forget that the characters, for the most part, are part of the story. The story doesn't always have to be about the character's background or experience, it's about how the character is using those experiences in the current.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Rurushu Ranperuji

hawk of endymion wrote: I think you'll more use out of the mousepads.

In terms of an epilogue, I'm good the way it is. The creators of Code Geass (I believe) wanted people to come to their own conclusions on the characters endings. Doing an epilogue or follow-up might cheapen the show. You don't always have to know everything about the characters for a show to be standout. People get caught with the characters in show too much and forget that the characters, for the most part, are part of the story. The story doesn't always have to be about the character's background or experience, it's about how the character is using those experiences in the current.
I can certainly see where your coming from, but at the same time, and mind you I acknowledge this may be blatant fanboyism, but I really am just not ready to let the show go. So even if it's some cute little 3-5 minute short about Kallen's school life, or maybe even something as simple as a Super Robot Wars appearance, I just want to see more. Then again, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd really rather not see another Gundam Seed:Destiny fan service cop out. =/ Looks like I'll just have to find another show to have a love affair with.
CanadaMan

Wow, that's one hell of an episode. 4 hours ... took me this long to finish it.
Good job on the segments guys, and nice job AmuroNT1. Thanks for the attempt to answer my question. Maybe one day they'll release C.C.'s real name.
Now Advertising for Gundamn! in Vancouver
Twitter
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Rurushu Ranperuji wrote: I can certainly see where your coming from, but at the same time, and mind you I acknowledge this may be blatant fanboyism, but I really am just not ready to let the show go. So even if it's some cute little 3-5 minute short about Kallen's school life, or maybe even something as simple as a Super Robot Wars appearance, I just want to see more. Then again, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd really rather not see another Gundam Seed:Destiny fan service cop out. =/ Looks like I'll just have to find another show to have a love affair with.
I understand you desire for more, I'm just against the attitude we see lately, that if we don't know everything about a story's character's, then the story is lacking or sub standard. Based on your comments, I can presume that if we never receive an epilogue, your appreciation of Code Geass will be the same.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
hotlimit

Kaioshin Sama wrote: And it's more or less Heero and the Wing Gundam's theme. Each of the characters and their Gundam's essentially has their own theme that plays for them in the early episodes. They're the first five tracks on the Gundam Wing OST.
That would explain why it plays that song whenever I launch Heero or the Wing hahaah.

I listened to the Gundam Roundup portion of the show and I've got to agree, from what I've heard the Wing soundtrack it's great. I even like the Gameboy Advance rendition of Just Communication, though I'm not a huge fan of the actual song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec5WkUTiwM0

I had no idea that there were girls who watch this stuff just for the guys. I know some people that probably got into SEED and whatever because a lot of the popular anime at the time had similar artwork, but they definitely knew all about the different mobile suits and stuff.
neoei3318

So I'm 2:36:39 into the show right now, and I'm taking a break. Great show so far...

- I appreciated the analysis on the "Death" and "Resurrection" of Nunnally and how much it affected Lelouch and how much it progressed his character development. At the time of Turn 18/19's airing, I was in the "I think Nunnally is dead, but I'm not going to rage if she reappears" camp, so I wasn't really surprised when she did reappear at the end of Turn 22. Heck, I was banking on it. I'm just glad that the payoff was seeing Lelouch do some serious damage without being constricted by his moral compass.

I also liked how it was noted that Rolo's sacrifice played a small part into transforming Lelouch into a more selfless character. By having the "rag" that Lelouch despised so much sacrificing himself for him, it was that event that propelled Lelouch to become more determined than ever to stop Charles.

On a side note, as for Soul Bro, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of obscure TV or pop culture, at least on this side of the Atlantic. Putting the Theme song to "Are You Being Served" as the background music to the Florida Oriental Trading commercial gave me great lulz in my commute between Philly and the 'burbs. Thank you.

I will now go to my night gig listening to the rest of the the longest show-killer in Gundamn! history.
aka Bushido Black
Jack-O

never mind
Last edited by Jack-O on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wingnut

Jack-O wrote:I'd hate to draw a comparision between Wing and 00
Then don't. Please, for the sake of the sanity of the readers/listeners. It's caused enough trauma for the hosts already.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

Jack-O wrote:I'd hate to draw a comparision between Wing and 00 but 00 is starting to turn into faction of the arc enemies. 3 super powers => A-Laws => Innovators (possibly). Let's just wait and see what happens.
This isn't something especially original, even when Wing did it, so there's really no reason here to draw unnecessary comparisons.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Areku

Not only is it not original to Wing, but I think 3 factions in 5-6 years is a very different case from 4 factions in 1 year, and I think it's somewhat inaccurate to count A-LAWS/Innovators as 2 separate factions. The transitions between the factions are important (and different) as well.
LightningCount

Hey, all! Overall, I thought the Gundam Wing Roundup was a fair overview. It was good of you to bring in AmuroNT1. However, I do think there were some sweeping statements made that were a bit shaky, and that a lot of subtle, key elements were missed. To each their own, but here’s what I would have added/argued:

*Gundam Wing is “simple.” You would think so with all its flashiness; but with each viewing, I pick up something new. There’s a lot of key, complex subtleties. In brief, just 2 you might not have picked up on:

1--“People with two names”: By the end, Heero Yuy and Millardo Peacecraft, in their own ways, have come to represent the original Heero Yuy from space and King Peacecraft of the Earth. It is ironic, since both come from such bloodstained backgrounds, yet each is representing an assassinated leader of peace. If you have read Episode Zero, which were intended to be episodes 27 and 28, you learn that Heero is even adopted by the man who made the “mistake” of killing the original Heero Yuy (this is Odin Lowe, who teaches Heero the only way to live a good life is by your emotions) making things even more interesting.

2--“Teddy Bear”: You see Relena dust a teddy bear off in the opening. This teddy is from the destruction that Heero caused that killed the young girl and her dog in Endless Waltz. This is explained in Episode Zero. That event, one of the first times a face—and thus consequences, were put to a mission—made Heero realize the tragedy of war and turned him numb/suicidal. Throughout the series, he slowly regains his humanity via Relena and the other pilots; and in the end, it is a teddy he gives to Relena, who is the girl who makes up for the one he accidentally killed, and symbolizes his desire to be human and not kill.

*Gundam Wing preaches about, but doesn’t show the “horrors of war.” While there is a lot of nameless grunt/MS trashing, there is a compelling amount of horror shown or noted: The Noventa family’s tragedy; Zechs’ cold-blooded revenge against the Alliance officer; Heero’s attempts at suicide from his life as a teen soldier; the atrocities caused by Alex and Mueller; Une dropping Septem out of a plane and shooting him; Sally Po’s men blown or torn to bloody messes by Boont’s Chinese/OZ forces (Ep.12); Otto’s sacrifice for Zechs, the assassination of Heero Yuy and King Peacecraft; the twice-burned Sanc Kingdom; the death of the alliance space force soldier who finds Quatre floating in space; Quatre’s father’s death; Quatre’s killing spree with Wing Zero; the flood of refugees from episode 42; Wufei’s clan/colony destroyed; the OZ Taurus pilot who dies via kamikaze fighting White Fang in episode 43; the Romefeller Foundation’s presentation of war as a game of money and power; the disgruntled OZ soldiers rounding up colonists in episode 43…

* The “organization of the week” biff: In real life, each year, there are new rebel groups of various sizes that spring up in countries around the world. Super-size that to focusing on the entire Earth and the colonies, and the state of chaos and technology in the Wing world, and it accounts for the possibility of many factions arising in a year’s time. I found this to be a refreshing and organic element of Wing, that the world was always changing as actions were taken. (action=reaction). Plus, these groups had a logical progression. Romefeller/Duke Dermail didn’t appear out of thin air in the latter episodes; Romefeller and Dermail were introduced visually as early as episode 14, and Romefeller was referenced before that. OZ was connected to the Alliance via the Specials, and was backed by Romefeller as their military branch. When OZ—via Treize—refuses to carry out Romefeller’s demands, Romefeller has to take more direct authority. White Fang’s build-up is spoiled some by not having Episode Zero animated so one knows Quinze’s background, but the angst in the colonies and the Treize Faction is made known at many points in the series, so it’s foreseeable that a rebellion might occur in space. The Libra would be a tempting target, after all. In conclusion, in the end, it’s not entirely ”new” forces fighting at the climax, but a World Nation brought about by Romefeller and led by the original OZ villain Treize, versus the disgruntled space colonies, once represented by the Gundams, now by Zechs, also formerly of OZ. Thus, it builds and blends all the developments that happened previously into the climax.

*Gundam Wing pilots mission/lone wolf status: In episode 5, Dr. J says that Heero’s fighting against OZ, the war-makers, “will lead directly to peace.” Operation Meteor was originally conceived as “revenge for Heero Yuy” by Dekim Barton; however, in the series, the Gundam pilots are essentially making their own definition of Operation Meteor, forwarded by the Gundam engineers, to eliminate war and oppression by destroying OZ. This proves to be a narrow-minded solution, but world-changing is the goal. Therefore, don’t go the other way and give Gundam 00’s Celestial Being undue credit, while at the same time saying Gundam Wing is “UC on cliff notes.” UC Gundam, Gundam Wing, and Gundam 00 are only connected by various SURFACE similarities. But, as you said, where comparisons are appropriate, valid comparisons should be made. I need to see A LOT more of Gundam 00, but I think it’s fair game to point out these similarities of Gundam 00 and Wing, since people have been hell-bent for years to point out the UC references in Wing.

On that note, I’m always surprised when it’s insinuated that having a “Gundam team” is a positive, and separate pilots are a negative. Personally, I liked the unique, lone wolf nature of most of Gundam Wing, as it covered more ground of events happening in Earth and space from more perspectives. Again, this moved it away from “simple,” as you had to be able to follow all the pilots and organizations. Soul Bro pointed out the constant switches from Earth to space and back, and the rag-tag, separated pilots facilitated this (instead of focusing on one White Base-style journey from Earth to space and back again). When all the Gundams are bunched together, they’re usually focused on one element at a time. I wished Gundam X, as much as I love it, would have had more of this, as the Roby and Witz episodes were among the best.

*I think AmuroNT1 was right about Zechs and White Fang. AmuroNT1 mentioned some of the notes where Zechs lets on his intentions with the “true natures” quote, and you see that he can’t go ahead and kill Noin to stop Peacemillion from plowing into Libra. Plus, when Heero and Relena meet with Zechs’ hologram, he hints strongly that he wants Relena to pick up the pieces when people realize the tragedy of fighting wars. It’s another subtle thing. Gundam Wing doesn’t throw everything in one’s face, but it leaves enough room for more understanding upon repeated viewings.

*AmuroNT1 mentioned the care in background characters. I’d also note the care in background machinery, from fighter jets, to military jeeps, to shuttles, it’s all very detailed and has its own sort of matching After Colony aesthetic.

*Regarding the action in the series, rather than talk about the mobile suit combat, I’d like to note that it does bold things like the following: In episode 19, Heero tricks the Mobile Dolls into killing OZ soldiers; in episode 29, Sally’s prison break with Noin; Heero takes a Virgo carrier and after reporting “no survivors,” plows into a Libra hanger bay (ep.46); Trowa being chased on a bike and leaping onto a clothesline to escape; Quatre and Heero jumping off a plane with machine guns to take over an OZ ship on the sea. These are wild things you don’t see in most Gundam series.

*“Relena”: Yeah, she can be annoying, but she serves her role well. The reason she develops into a serious girl from a snobby one is the events that occur around her regarding her father, Heero, and Zechs. I thought she was developed well in that regard. In the end, when things are calmer, you see hints of her old self when she refuses Heero’s teddy bear.

*Ko Otani of Gundam Wing and Shadow of the Colossus also did the stellar soundtracks of Outlaw Star, Night Warriors: Darkstalkers’ Revenge, and Zoids: New Century ZERO.

*As should be apparent, I am a “real” fan of Gundam Wing. I’ve seen its flaws over the years, but I’ve also found more to enjoy about its story and characters. I think a lot of things in this series are missed by people because of the flashy action. (And, sadly, a good deal of underlying story is lost without Episode Zero being read). I don’t get the whole “pretty boys” phenomenon. I’ve never even thought of it, though I constantly hear it. It was good the podcast didn’t focus on it too much. I mean, sure the characters are stylish, but they’re nowhere near as overly “girlish” as what has been seen in Gundam SEED, and Wing’s pilots are *definitely* not bishonen ala Benton from Cyber City Oedo 808. I say this to people who get hung up on the pilot’s looks: take away the Gundam pilots, and you still have a compelling world and plot.

For the record, other than Zeta and Victory (which I’ve seen parts of) and ZZ, Turn-A, and 00, I’ve seen all the primary animated Gundam TV series/OVAs/Movies. And, overall, Gundam Wing still feels the most complete and enjoyable to me at this point. After that, Gundam 0080 and G-Gundam, with their emotional plots, are close seconds; and 08th Team’s military presentation and Gundam X’s engaging atmosphere and cast are also high up. I’m looking forward to seeing Gundam 00 (despite the unfortunate spoilers I’ve run across around here).

Anyways, sorry about the length, and keep up the good work!!
thanatos

I love these long episodes. It makes my shift at work just fly by.

I appreciate the attempts to treat Wing objectively since it is somewhat polarizing in the Gundam community. I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'd probably fall into the category of fanboys worshiping at the altar of Relena.

I found it kind of disingenuous to put so much hate on Wing-00 comparisons while feeling free to makes Wing-0079 comparisons without hesitation. There's as much commonality between Wing and 00 as there is with Wing and 0079. The first thing everyone always says is: Zechs is just like Char. Sure, they are quite similar, but masked men are common throughout the Gundam franchise. After that, similarities fall apart. Who is analogous to Amuro, Bright or Matilda in Wing? Were there people like Trowa, the Maguanac Corps or the Gundam scientists in 0079? I'm sorry, but comparing Wing and 0079 is just not valid.

I completely agree with the respect shown to music from Gundam Wing. When I remember watching the show for the music, then I would go to bed. Over time I stayed up and watched the actual show (Wing was broadcast at like 9:30pm in Canada).
One vibe that I got from Wing that I never really got from any other Gundam show (except maybe Seed/Seed Destiny) is the total worthlessness of grunt suits. When I watched 0079, I was amazed that Zeon units would get upset when they lost a few Zakus. Wing had conditioned me to think that anything without a yellow V-fin on its head was disposable.

There was one notable exception to your discussion: there was no mention of what is quite possibly the most beautiful MS, possible the most beautiful mecha ever: The Tallgeese.

Final Note: I loved Heero's character. It annoys me when people complain about Gundam leads being too whiney or 'emo'. Along come Heero with relatively no emotions at all, and people still complain about it. If anything, I want to see more cold-hearted killing machines become Gundam protagonists. I've never seen it subbed so I'll have to check that out and see if Heero comes off differently in the Japanese voice.

Sorry for the long rant.
Again, good job guys.
Kavik Ryx

I had no idea there was Relena worshiping. I mean I know she's treated as a saint in the anime, but in real life, she is among my least favorite characters in all anime. Right up there with Kaifun from Macross.

Funny really, I may be a pacifist in real life, but I just can't stand them in anime.
Wingnut

Kavik Ryx wrote:I had no idea there was Relena worshiping. I mean I know she's treated as a saint in the anime, but in real life, she is among my least favorite characters in all anime. Right up there with Kaifun from Macross.
Now that's just an uncalled for insult right there.
NONE are as bad or even coming close to the hatred I have for that prick, and any comparisons to him for another character must be obviously justifiable. Relena is not one of those characters.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Leos and Tauruses are my favorites, too. =) Damn, I really wish I could have gotten of kits or figures of them. By this point, I'll probably have to hire someone to custom make them for me.

I have to say, I never understood the Wing-00 comparisons. I haven't seen 00, but I know for a fact that both shows don't feature "fighting to end all wars." That's never happened in Gundam Wing, and it's mostly due to the various agendas of different factions and parties. The Gundams targeted OZ because it was dangerous and corrupt. They fought Rommefellar because they tried to take over the world. They fought in the Sanc Kingdom OUT OF SELF DEFENSE, not to impose their views on other people. White Fang, again, was amassing military power to attack the Earth. And Zechs' goal was to make the whole of humanity become sick of FIGHTING/VIOLENCE and just give it up entirely. And Relena's agenda was to end the use of violence and weapons, which thus LEADS TO the end of wars, but her direct goal was never "the end of all wars." The goals of each Gundam pilot were always separate and diverse, so we could never just lump them all together. So saying the ambition of the Gundams in Wing was "the end of all wars" is just a superficial crock of shit. Bam!

I really like Zechs' character. It was fascinating to see a man struggle to find something to fight for. He even acted as Sanc's representative when he first went to space, if anyone remembers that. However, I felt that his development waned somewhat the moment he got hold of the Wing Zero. I can't really say why. And I know his sudden change of heart at the end of the show and his leadership of White Fang confused and put a lot of people off. It wasn't extremely obvious, but he didn't do it for no reason. Before that happened, Zechs was banking on his sister's leadership of the Sanc kingdom, but when the country was destroyed for the second time, he lost all hope in humanity, and so that's why he made his choice. I just wished they could have developed his thoughts on that more.

I understand why you don't like Wufei, Chris. Personally, I always understood why he behaved the way he did, and I sympathized with him, but the way his character was played off in the show was just pretty terrible. I don't know how that happened. His chapter in Episode Zero was really heart-breaking, but how did he come off as a complete dick in the show? Pretty strange. I guess any character who fights with morals as his motivation will always catch a lot of flak from viewers.

(On that note, it's unfair to bring Episode Zero into the review for GW. Gundamn! is only reviewing the show, and can't cover all the books that go with it as well. The same should hold true for all the other shows.)

Heero is my favorite character, which should be obvious to anyone, but hell, even I am confused as to why. I think it's just his ability to get shit done. His strength of resolve is quite literally a source of inspiration to all the other characters in the show. The problem I find in him is that he gets absolutely zero development. Yeah, they say he becomes more human, and they say he has a good heart, but I have a bit of trouble seeing it. And they say Trowa never emotes, but Heero is just a friggin' mystery. At least Trowa says out loud what he is thinking (because he narrates to himself??) but the audience never knows what is going through Heero's mind, and it's hard to guage what his motives are. What I think is the most fascinating aspect to him is his role as the Perfect Soldier, and his internal conflicts with that fact. He is quite literally a living weapon. He was forced to leave behind his humanity, and grips onto the few emotions that he has. All he has left is this war on his shoulders. Violence and battle are all that remains for him, and it's quite obvious that Heero hates his life, but these are the only things he is able to attach himself to. This is one of my favorite parts in the show, but when Heero and Quatre return to the Earth, Heero joins forces with a guerilla faction and pilots a Leo with them. It's not because he wants to help them really, but only because he CAN'T EVER STOP FIGHTING, regardless of how hopeless things are. He says to himself, "I've been fighting longer than anyone else." Can you imagine living a life like that? And of course, there's his famous line, "Life is something that's cheap--especially my life." I guess it's the intensity of his character and his internal conflicts that makes me like him so much.

And yes, I do find that GW as a whole has little character development, but it's quite unnecessary when the characters you have are already fascinating. The Gundams pilots aren't involved in this through accidents, and they all have their reasons for throwing themselves into the fight. It's that resolve that makes them interesting. And it's never that they want to fight for selfish reasons either. If you look at other mecha shows, who does the main character fight for? Himself? His friends? His family? His girlfriend (who he fails to save anyway, haha)? It's nothing like that in GW. These characters have not an ounce of selfishness in them. They fight for EVERYBODY, and not just themselves or the people they care about. It's the point that EVERYBODY is important, and everyone matters. Duo literally fights to "bring the smiles back to people's faces." He suffers and he kills to move humanity forward. Do you know anyone else that would stick their own neck out like that for you? It's one of the only shows where I felt the cast was made of genuinely good people.

That's a fraction of my thoughts for the podcast. More on that later when I get to it. =)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Chris
Administrator

thanatos wrote:I found it kind of disingenuous to put so much hate on Wing-00 comparisons while feeling free to makes Wing-0079 comparisons without hesitation. There's as much commonality between Wing and 00 as there is with Wing and 0079. The first thing everyone always says is: Zechs is just like Char. Sure, they are quite similar, but masked men are common throughout the Gundam franchise. After that, similarities fall apart. Who is analogous to Amuro, Bright or Matilda in Wing? Were there people like Trowa, the Maguanac Corps or the Gundam scientists in 0079? I'm sorry, but comparing Wing and 0079 is just not valid.
I thought I'd made it clear in the episode, but let me delve into it some more. No one is making comparisons between Wing and 0079, because Wing borrows elements from multiple UC series. These similarities are easily identifiable, and I won't get into them here because I already discussed them at length. I'm fine with comparing anything to anything as long as it's a valid comparison. What bothers me in the case of Wing and 00 is people going out of their way to force connections, and these forced connections find a way of becoming group think. This is made all the more apparent when you've got things like ANN writers declaring as if it's a fact that 00 is a second take on Gundam Wing. Or how people are saying that season 2 is another Zeta. Like I said in the episode, it's like trying to smash the square block through the circular hole when you were a kid.
Seraphic wrote:I understand why you don't like Wufei, Chris. Personally, I always understood why he behaved the way he did, and I sympathized with him, but the way his character was played off in the show was just pretty terrible. I don't know how that happened. His chapter in Episode Zero was really heart-breaking, but how did he come off as a complete dick in the show? Pretty strange. I guess any character who fights with morals as his motivation will always catch a lot of flak from viewers.
Therein lies the problem with Episode Zero. Yes, his depiction is better there, but Episode Zero was written after the show, so as far as judging the show by its character development, it's irrelevant. I just don't like him as a character. He always comes off as arrogant, self-righteous and conceited, with a shade of misogyny. I just find him to be almost completely unlikable until the end of Endless Waltz.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
AmuroNT1

Sorry for the lack of responses everyone, but AT&T screwed up and I've spent the last three days without webwebs. So here are some belated replies.

Kaioshin Sama: I wasn't really saying that "all" Western fans aren't fans, nor was I referring to the current crop of the "Big Four" (Geass, Gurren Lagann, Frontier, 00). Mostly I was just voicing frustration at the way Gundam Wing "fandom" is. You've got girls who don't care about any aspect of the series other than the cute guys, and even then not their real personalities, as witness all the horrible fanfiction and fanart out there. Then you've got the people on the outside who look in, see those fangirls, and assume that that's the entirety of Wing's fanbase. I don't think GW is the best show evar, but it's certainly a lot deeper than people give it credit for (as evidenced by LightningCount's rather thorough post).

Kavik Ryx: I dunno if I'd call it worship, but it bugs me when people act like Relena is only worthy of attention as she is in Endless Waltz, mainly because IMO that's when she's at her most boring; it reminds me a bit of the people who like Lacus when she's in full "Holy Mother Mode" in Destiny, when she's got all the personality of wet cardboard. In the earlier parts of Wing TV you get to see a lot of flashes of humanity from Relena, including sarcasm, wit, playfulness, and other traits that really made me like her. In Endless Waltz you can see some flashes of her old attitude when Wing Zero shows up and she starts making incisive comments at Mariemaia ("You're trembling. Are you afraid?"). I'm probably opening myself up to a lot of abuse here, but I think the reason I like Relena so much is because she's got a lot of the qualities I find attractive in a woman, which I was fortunate enough to discover when I met my girlfriend. ^_^

thanatos: I like the comparison I once saw where Zechs was considered "what would happen if Quattro pretended to be CCA Char".

If I think of more, I'll be sure to reply. But for now, thanks for all the response!
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power