Ep. 041 - Shipper's Delight!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 041 - Shipper's Delight!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 041 - "Shipper's Delight!"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 80 min., 01 sec. (1:20:01) - 36.6 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:13:33

03. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:13:33 - 0:14:08

04. 1st Segment: "Macross Round-up - Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again"
Runtime: 0:14:08 - 0:48:39

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:48:39 - 0:49:30

06. 2nd Segment "Romantic Relationships in Mecha Anime"
Runtime: 0:49:30 - 1:37:09

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:37:09 - 1:38:39

08. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:38:39 - 1:45:56

Sneaking in another episode before the deluge of holidays hit, we tackle the dark horse of the Macross Franchise, "Macross II: Lovers Again". Then, we make "Destiny Gundam" proud, turning into shippers & discussing different romances and relationships over many mecha series!

Also, many thanks for the anniversary wishes! Gundamn! @ MAHQ is 2 years old and going strong thanks to your input and support. One of our listeners, Seraphic made us this fantastic piece of artwork that celebrates the podcast and a lot of the in-jokes and memes that often turn up in our ramblings. Endless props go to Seraphic for making us this great picture, and to have a look at it yourself, just click the link below!

Happy 2nd Anniversary by Seraphic!

For more of Seraphic's wonderful art & other works, peep these sites:
- Sera's Art
- GW: The Sword
- Gameplay
- The Lost Citadel

Thanks for listening and for the feedback!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Solar Radio Wave

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
snoops619

Re: Ep. 041 - Shipper's Delight!

Great show as always guys. Coming out with some fantastic topics nowerdays. Congrats on 2 years and here's to many to come.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Wingnut

Macross II. Indeed an interesting entry in the franchise and I think you covered all the bases there. (That other male ace's name was Nexx BTW.)
I also stress that it is much better and easier to watch in Japanese and comes across as all right save for those few WTF? moments. Most concerning the SDF-1.
The bridge surviving is easy enough to see happening (pinpoint barrier and all), but why it was floating instead of dropping like a stone still has me confused. Maybe someone thought they were in space or something and thus gravity did not apply?
I have to agree that it seemed to lack the atmosphere at times that makes a Macross show a Macross show. It's not something you can't really describe in words, but more of a general feeling.
Personally I didn't mind the look of the VF-2SS, but that's just me.

As for the relationship section... I agree on some and disagree on others. Let's just leave it at that and say that conventional relationship thinking goes out the window where Gundam Wing is concerned with the exception being Duo and Hilde. I could rant all day about the relationships in Wing and how many viewers misinterpret them, but I'll spare you all that. This is certainly not the first time where I find myself wondering what the show might have been like had the director/writer/whoever actually felt more comfortable about that aspect of the story instead of just focusing on the political aspect of the story.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
QubeleyMkIII

Pretty Good Show. I am just recently starting to watch SDF Macross, and I will continue with the movies and all if I really get into it. So far I am really liking it. I only recently got into Gundam so now that I've seen all the UC Gundam show's (but within the span of a year) I am on Gundam burn out. I am excited to get into Macross, I can't wait to go back and listen to your Macross reviews from earlier episodes once I've seen it all myself.

I would say Char+Lalah+Amuro is still somewhat of a love connection that I found myself pretty into even if Amuro's connection with Lalah is just newtype connection. It greatly affected Char I think it's very obvious that he did love her it's just a shame they don't show a bit more of it. But It's interesting how kind of horrible Char is with basically every woman he has after Lalah.

But my favorite couple in all of mecha Anime, might have to be Bright and Mirai, minor as it is in the grand scheme of things. I only saw mobile suit Gundam last spring with the Movie trilogy but I felt a strong connection between them just from that. The whole thing between Cameron, Sleggar and Mirai was really interesting but all the while Bright and Mirai kinda keep each other going strong on White Base as the series progresses. I went back and have seen some of the TV version episodes here and there. A great episode is the one where Bright has to leave the bridge from stress and Mirai makes him take a break so he can take over. Then their relationship continues into Zeta Gundam, and their couple is probably the only reason I want to read Hathaway's flash if I ever get the chance.

I was surprised you guys didn't really have many thoughts on Four and Kamille since I thought screwed up as it was, there was a little something meaningful there. She got Kamille over his name hatred.

I still have yet to see Gundam 00, but I don't know if I'll be able to take this Saji character serious because I'll be probably be thinking of your podcast every time he's on screen.
yazi88

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned Seabook and Cecily from F-91/Crossbone Gundam. Their relationship was pretty interesting and they really explored it more in crossbone and heck they even
Spoiler
got married and had a kid!
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Hello, gentlemen.

Sorry for the delay, but I have a gift for you.

Thanks for the lolz.

(And P.S. on the last segment: What about Escaflowne?! Van and Hitomi??)
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Wingnut

yazi88 wrote:I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned Seabook and Cecily from F-91/Crossbone Gundam. Their relationship was pretty interesting and they really explored it more in crossbone and heck they even
Spoiler
got married and had a kid!
It didn't really seem like much in the movie, but Crossbone did imply quite a bit with those two.

Nice drawing there, Seraphic. Who's doing the facepalm, Garrod?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
yazi88

Seraphic wrote:Hello, gentlemen.

Holy sweet jesus is is that pedobear I see in the on the left that express about a certain someone NORTH of the border in front of a caveman AKA TROLL with a beam saber?! Also love the drawing of the straight-talk express. :lol:

EDIT:Thanks for the heads up on the troll Sume Gai
Last edited by yazi88 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sume Gai

yazi88 wrote:Holy sweet jesus is is that pedobear I see in the on the left that express about a certain someone NORTH of the border in front of a caveman with a beam saber?! Also love the drawing of the straight-talk express. :lol:
seems to be though I believe the "caveman" is actually a troll.

As for facepalming Garrod I have this odd feeling he's somehow supposed to represent Chris (Saji of course representing Soul Bro and Mwu[?] for ill informed Neo). I'm not entirely sure if there's any meaning to that Haro with Kamina glasses other than being awesom
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
AceWhatever

Happy 2 year anniversary guys!

Personally I found the Goh/Anna relationship to be one of the most poorly done aspects of Godannar. The marriage aspect of it is so superficial that it might as well be nonexistent, especially when practically nothing in the show so much as hints at what lead to Goh getting on his knees and begging like crazy to marry her. 5 years of a relationship that ends in marriage is not something you just keep in the dark and handwave with some very minor flashbacks when considering both characters' circumstances. I might as well just watch the show backwards and it wouldn't look any different.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Sume Gai wrote:
yazi88 wrote:Holy sweet jesus is is that pedobear I see in the on the left that express about a certain someone NORTH of the border in front of a caveman with a beam saber?! Also love the drawing of the straight-talk express. :lol:
seems to be though I believe the "caveman" is actually a troll.

As for facepalming Garrod I have this odd feeling he's somehow supposed to represent Chris (Saji of course representing Soul Bro and Mwu[?] for ill informed Neo). I'm not entirely sure if there's any meaning to that Haro with Kamina glasses other than being awesom
Let's not forget the baddest MS ever, Guntank!! Notice how the Zeta is keeping its distance.
Is Saji the king of wusses? Part of the milquetoast alliance?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Soul Bro Ryu

I just updated the thread here and at Gundamn.net with Seraphic's awesomeness! Thanks a million for that picture, and I fell out of my chair this morning when I saw it. You captured so much that I can't help but be honored by the effort you put into it and listening to us!

I posted it on our Facebook page as well where it is becoming enjoyed as well. Excellent job, man!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Vent Noir

Macross 2 was one of the first anime I ever saw, and I still remember that "culture" speech from it (guess that means it's memorable if nothing else). I liked Sylvie, and don't remember her being that much of a bitch, but it's been a long time...

On relationships:

The bad ones:
- I've complained about the whole Soma/Marie/Allelujah thing before, and will resist the temptation to go off on another rant about it.
- I actually quite liked the Alto/Ranka/Sheryl triangle a lot, which you guys didn't seem to, although I totally understand wanting a resolution (hopefully the movie will provide one).
- As for Seed, I'm not a yaoi fan, but I felt that Kira had more going on with Athrun than Lacus... there's a scene in I think episode 39 where Kira and Athrun get out of their Mobile Suits and approach each other, and I just wanted to yell "Kiss him, you fool!"
- Mylene/Basara from Macross 7. Again, it's been a while since I saw 7, but Gamlin seemed far more suitable, and IIRC, that got sunk seemingly for no other reason than to have the two leads hook up.

The good ones:
- Renton and Eureka (Eureka 7) is a memorable one for me.
- Of course, the classic Hikaru/Misa/Minmay triangle from Macross
- Zagato/Emeraude in Magic Knight Rayearth, and the Hikaru/Lantis/Eagle triangle from season 2 (of course, since this is Clamp we're talking about, Lantis/Eagle is just as viable an option as Hikaru/Lantis or Hikaru/Eagle)
- And since I mentioned Clamp, Lelouch and C.C.

EDIT: One more thing... you speculated whether some ideas from Robotech "contaminated" Macross 2, with the similarities between the Marduk and Robotech masters. For a while now, I've been wondering the same thing regarding Frontier, with the Vajra and the Invid. Hmmm....
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

The perfect gattai of Haro and Kamina's soul is the embodiment of mecha fandom. It also transforms into a battroid mode.
hawk of endymion wrote:Is Saji the king of wusses? Part of the milquetoast alliance?
Damn, I wasn't expecting this kind of retort. It really made me laugh. An no, he's not just part of the Milquetoast Alliance, he's their glorious and magnificent leader. I'm a little surprised no one has spoken a word of Emma yet. It's my first time ever drawing anyone in a bikini, so either it looks really terrible and no one wants to say anything, or it's just that no one wants to admit they've been staring really hard at that part of the picture. :lol:

I know I'm longwinded so I'll keep this short. I'm glad I could get everyone's expressions drawn properly. I usually do it by thinking of what the person might be saying or thinking. For instance....

Saji: "RAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!" (Or alternatively: "This is my FAPPING hand!!" lol, sorry. I didn't realize this until after I had finished drawing the picture, but there's something inherently hilarious in exclaiming something like that in a complete rage.)

Emma: "...Come closer, Soul Bro~...." (I was thinking of giving her an "SBR <3" tattoo, but that might have laid on the joke a little thick. Or maybe she does have the tattoo and you'll just have to guess where it is.)

Mwu: "Sup?" ('Cause Neo's cool that way. The picture shows how he's perfectly okay--perhaps even better off than normal--despite having been killed in a MS explosion.)

Garrod: *heavy sigh* "...Why did you do that?" (A difficult drawing, but perhaps my favorite part of the page. The expression is just great, despite not being able to see his face much.)

The troll under the bridge with the Straight Talk Express driving over was a bit of a vague reference. And even more vague is Chris's beam saber as mentioned in Mr. Whipton's account of the 3-way fight to the death between the hosts.

Peter, lol.

And of course, Guntank and Zeta. Guntank is surprisingly fun to draw.... I had no idea I could fit so many references and in-jokes on a single page. It's just too bad I ran out of space.

I'm glad everyone got a kick out of it. One of my favorite things about drawing is that you can basically do anything you want with it. I gotta say I'm slightly embarrassed that my links are being spread around with this episode. Everyone's going to see what a huge dork I am, especially with my fiction and doodles. >,<
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
hotlimit

Whoo! More Gundamn! What was the song at 48:40? (during the GoDaddy ad?)

Poor Soul Bro being ganged up on! You had him spitting out lines like, "There's a lot of non-kissing in anime!"
Red Comet90

Another hilarious episode. Two years of Gundamn and still going strong. Let's hope Gundamn is far from its end. :mrgreen:

A few other good/ bad relationships in mecha that weren't discussed.

Bad:
Amuro/ Beltorchika: This pairing was horrible. She saw Amuro and just latched onto him and because Amuro was so depressed at the time he just tolerated her. It was obvious he found her annoying and somewhat a pest at times. I never understood how he ever dealt with her.

And just for the lulz I may as well throw out the worst of Gundam ever...G-Saviour!

Mark Curran/ Mimi: I think no explanation is necessary.

Good:
Bright/ Mirai: I'm surprised this one wasn't brought up. Even though most of the development of Bright and Mirai's relationship occurs between MSG and Zeta and towards the end of MSG we see in CCA and Zeta just how close the two of them are. IIRC Mirai even tells Beltorchika about how much she trusts her husband is doing a good job. In my opinion this is one of the best examples of a disfunctional situation for a family where it somehow works!

Simon/ Nia: This one ended in tragedy, but its easily on par with G Gundam's Domon/ Rain. In many ways its a parallel to it since for a while Simon has to fight against Nia just how Domon fights against Rain at the very end. Although Nia was very naive at times, you could tell the two were close.

Seraphic wrote:It's my first time ever drawing anyone in a bikini, so either it looks really terrible and no one wants to say anything, or it's just that no one wants to admit they've been staring really hard at that part of the picture.
I'll admit to staring! :lol: Awesome job on the pic. :mrgreen:
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Chris
Administrator

Seraphic wrote:Hello, gentlemen.

I have to say, in the midst of a long and stressful day of work, this totally made my day.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Taekmkm

Speaking of director attachment, there's a winter anime about chibi Kindergardens directed by Gundam 00/Fullmetal Alchemist director, animated by Gainax.

How's that for conflicting interests?
NeoStar9

Another good show. Thanks guys.

I'm surprised in the relationship section one couple, for the good example of a relationship, wasn't mentioned. Have any of you seen Rahxephon? I would have nominated Ayato Kamina and Haruka Shitow. Thought their relationship was pretty good from start to finish.
NeoStar9

Red Comet90 wrote:A

And just for the lulz I may as well throw out the worst of Gundam ever...G-Saviour!

Mark Curran/ Mimi: I think no explanation is necessary.

G-Saviour gets a lot of hate and sometimes it's warranted (however it still has one of the coolest Gundam scenes I think in regards to the fight on the actual colony mirror) but I agree that as a bad, bad, bad pairing. Bad acting all around made it even worse then I think it was originally meant to be as well. What's actually funny about that is that when she dies I don't recall him even batting an eye upon being told if he was ever told. I could actually picture him smiling about it to himself.