Ep. 052 - Orguns & Origins

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 052 - Orguns & Origins

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 052 - "Orguns & Origins"
- Unplugged Version: 64 kbps - 91 min., 27 sec. (1:31:27) - 41.9 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo News"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:24:59

03. Row Row Fight Da Powah! (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:24:59 - 0:26:02

04. 1st Segment: "Anime Spotlight: Detonator Orgun"
Runtime: 0:26:02 - 0:54:00

05. GoDaddy (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:54:00 - 0:54:54

06. 2nd Segment "Manga Spotlight: Mobile Suit Gundam - The Origin"
Runtime: 0:54:54 - 1:24:10

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:24:10 - 1:24:39

08. Epic Sugar Works (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:24:39 - 1:25:14

09. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:25:14 - 1:31:27

While Chris is away on vaykay, roaming the countryside of Germany like Dr. Tenma, Neo & SBR hold down the fort! This time, the two discuss the 90's OVA series, "Detonator Orgun", and the beloved manga re-imagining of the original MSG, "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin"!

BTW, major props to "Amuro Ray of V" (Dollow Rlance of the Solar Radio Wave podcast) for suggesting "MSG: The Origin". We will give him a proper plug and kudos when we record the next episode!

Enjoy & thanks for listening!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Level Nine - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook -Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah!

Sponsors & Special Offers:
GoDaddy - PETCO

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
jcncasval76

Re: Ep. 052 - Orguns & Origins

Gentlemen,

Great episode as always,
As far as the show goes, Gundam the Origin was something I have heard of for a few years, and if I remember correctly, there is a MG model kit with the bizzare G-Falcon available on market. If there is a 1-in-a-million chance of re-producing the first Gundam series, this literation would has to be the first choice - while adding the Ghrien's greed storyline along too.

When you guys mentioned about Code Geass in the news segment, I found an article that China had actually censored the show due to adult contents that were not too agreeable to Chinese government policies on videos, and this was in 2008. In that (http://news.newhua.com/News1/html/Soft_ ... ?lt=common), they showed some examples of the explicitness of "what is not acceptable" with viewership in Mainland China. What disturbs me quite a bit is the lack of imagination by the Communist regime with regards to 'fictionize" China in anime, and the trolling of any attempts made for it. Now, I don't mind of curbing the adult content, but at least give those artists to create a different looks of a nation.

Sincerely,
Planet JCN - JCNcasval76
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Amuro Ray of v

IF SBR starts that Petition for Gundam Origin, I will sign it.
One of these days I'm gonna get Bright!
Solar Radio Wave
"Video games are evil."
-Yoshiyuki Tomino
The "v" in my name is whatever you think it is.
thanatos

Good episode guys

You compare Robotech to Dragonball Z as being something that helped bring in a lot of today's fan. But let me raise my hand and say that when DBZ was airing here I hated it intensely. Now keep in mind that I was twelve at the time, the perfect age for that show. I thought it was just vapid characters engaged in what a 12 year old imagines fighting is like. And know what? I feel the same way. If anything, DBZ put me off of anime for at least a couple of years. I hate on it not because it is well known, I am an original hater.

But enough about that. I LOVE Detonator Orgun. Tomoru is a character whose angst is actually justified. I can't stand angst from kids still in their teens. Or maybe it's the fact that I could really identify with being aimless after graduation. Or that I could emphasize about sometimes thinking I was born in the wrong era in history.
But the main hook for Detonator Orgun for me is the music. It may just be that this was my first introduction to Susumu Hirasawa, so that's probably why I like the music more than you guys. Bandiria, the song that played in the lead-in to the segment, has became one of my favorite pieces of music anywhere. I'm glad you like it Soul Bro.
Aspiring CGO "Chief Gundam Officer"
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jcncasval76 wrote:Gentlemen,

Great episode as always, but please inform Neo that his continuous bashing of Asian films has to stop immediately. That type of antics is getting quite tiresome after a while, and I start getting quite annoyed by that.

Now the part that I have issues with has to do with the mentioning of the Shaw Brothers films, while I don't mind about the mentioning the horrible dubbing, but stop trolling on the original language that was presented. Particularly when someone like me who enjoys watching those films, some of those comments might kill the enjoyment. Would you want to bad mouth your favorite movies because of the origin of the culture? I let you think about it.

Sincerely,
Planet JCN - JCNcasval76
What are you even talking about? I'm not bashing or trolling those films. I just rather watching them with the dub because that's how I saw them as a kid. I've seen a lot of those films with the dub and ones I've never seen before I watch in the original language if possible. I actually enjoy my anime in Japanese especially if that's how I saw it originally.

I believe you're being a little too sensitive and looking too much into things. And in reference to your comments who's being the troll?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
jabman025

Great show guys

I would like to say that Soul Bro Ryu used the straight talk express to perfection this episode. Carl Macek was ahead of his time in the world of anime in the North America. You may disagree with his overall methods but if there were no Carl Macek I am sure things would be very different in reguards to how we view anime. No Carl Macek means no Voltron, no Transformers, no Gundam Wing, no DBZ, no Outlaw Star, no Cowboy Bebop and no Gundam 00 on your television. If you are a fan of anime, and if you are reading this you probably are, you owe Carl Macek a thank you. God bless and thank you Carl, wherever you may be I for one hope that you are happy.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Chris
Administrator

You bastards talked about The Origin without me!!!! :shock:
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Vent Noir

Detonator Orgun? Now THERE'S a blast from the past. Did that ever get released on DVD in English? (I'm listening to the podcast as I type this, so sorry if you mentioned it earlier).

It's been over a decade since I saw the anime, but it was in Super Robot Wars W, and apparently the story tied in with Tekkaman Blade's.

EDIT: Okay, listened through the podcast now and you covered those things. Thanks.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jabman025

Chris wrote:You bastards talked about The Origin without me!!!! :shock:
hmmm, thats odd I have not heard of this Chris fellow. Anyone else remember this guy?
:lol:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
wraith1701

Great show guys; you've convinced me to track down Gundam: The Origin. I'm a little concerned about the frustration I might encounter because of the stop in the English release, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks for the great podcast; keep 'em coming.
Mu La Flaga

Detonator Orgn, yeah an interestng like story all in all like Tekkeman Blade.
And as noted in SRW W, they did cross paths in terms of story 1-2 times in the game in Orgun's first form and his later form.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Wed May 05, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcncasval76

hawk of endymion wrote:
What are you even talking about? I'm not bashing or trolling those films. I just rather watching them with the dub because that's how I saw them as a kid. I've seen a lot of those films with the dub and ones I've never seen before I watch in the original language if possible. I actually enjoy my anime in Japanese especially if that's how I saw it originally.

I believe you're being a little too sensitive and looking too much into things. And in reference to your comments who's being the troll?
(previous note has been purged) I just noticed that Chris was shocked to find out that you talked about Gundam the Origin without him. While it would be nice to hear some insights from Chris, that segment was nicely done. Just hope that troll within Chris won't give you guys a heck of tonge-lashing when he appears on the next episode.

One last thing, I hope you'd had a great time in Europe in spite of those volcanic ashes from Iceland.
Last edited by jcncasval76 on Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
jcncasval76

Oh, speaking of Carl Macek, he was also responsible of bring Captain Harlock and Queen Millenia into the US market. And speaking of those two titles, I have to bring up these two other titles: Space Battleship Yamato and Galaxy Express 999. Due to all of them were essentially written by the same person, and with the similar art design, I would easily get confused with one another. In a way, quite a few characters from all 4 shows could also easily have a crossover.

With regards to Detonator Orgun, and I would have to relate to this post I made earlier http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php? ... 98#p279598, particularly with the people who did the DVD distribution (Central Park Media).
Mu La Flaga

Was there really a need to double post?
And wow, the mood of this went down a little from this movie controversy type thing and Chris paid Gundamn a visit while on his holidays.
jcncasval76

Mu La Flaga wrote:Was there really a need to double post?
And wow, the mood of this went down a little from this movie controversy type thing and Chris paid Gundamn a visit while on his holidays.
Mu,
that's what happened when my thoughts start skipping and skidding all over the place. at the same time, I don't want to sound like a long rant that'll bore people to sleep. :D
What do you expect me to do? start talking nonstop like John Moschitta (drum please)?
wielder

Sorry about posting news that had already been posted but I guess sometimes it happens the other way around too. :lol:

I'll try to be a bit more careful about this in the future.

Speaking about the upcoming Code Geass Gaiden, I'm actually fairly interested in the fact that we probably won't get to see too many overpowered mecha given the time period overlaps with the first season. Just as well, the fact that they're going for a side story and not an outright sequel gives them plenty of opportunities to revisit the same world without radically changing things for better or for worse. The premise pretty much spells out a bloodbath though, but we'll see. :wink:

I really need to go check out Gundam The Origin myself, but from the sounds of things it's a real pity that we most likely won't get to see the rest of the series in English at this point. Hopefully someone translates bits of it here and there though. I'm not even thinking of scans here, mind you...even just having more detailed summaries would be quite welcome. I don't know if it'll turn out to be better than the original series, but the concept itself still seems to have a fair amount of potential despite the repeated attempts to go down this same well again and again.

As for Detonator Orgun...while I barely remember the show itself, Super Robot Wars W did a great job of making it seem stylish enough and you guys have increased my interest even further. As relatively rare as series with organic-based mecha (or bio-armors if you prefer) seem to be these days, with some luck I won't be thinking back to Tekkaman Blade every now and then (at least on the surface).
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Mu La Flaga

jcncasval76 wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Was there really a need to double post?
Mu,
that's what happened when my thoughts start skipping and skidding all over the place. at the same time, I don't want to sound like a long rant that'll bore people to sleep. :D
What do you expect me to do?
Use the edit button, it aint rocket science :P
TheSuspiciousRedLamp

Great job guys!! Makes me want to check out Orgun now. Now for Origin...

Like you should know by now, I live in Québec (Canada in french 8) )
We never had a single Gundam show on TV. We have the DVD, but we never saw any of the show on TV (and thank god for that!! *cough*french dub sucks*cough*). But we actually have Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin!! And it's still being publish over here. We are at volume 12. And I have to say that it's a better way to do the original story. It kicks some of the non-sense the first show had like the G-Fighter (Chris would be so happy to hear that). So if any of you guys have a question related to the manga, ask me. It would be a pleasure to give answers. Like for example: How did Char met Lalah?? It's actually explained. You want to know it... quote me.
Last edited by TheSuspiciousRedLamp on Tue May 04, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Revenge for all those height gags. Every time he's called me "Hamster.""
"This is for every time you've been late and lost."
"All the times you drove into the back of my Cadillac."

The D.D.D. Podcast at your diservice.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jcncasval76 wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote:

Let me put it this way, and btw, this is in lieu of what had transpired recently in one of more troublesome neighborhood in San Francisco, and anything else before that. I have heard numerous times with someone referencing those horrible English dubs on the Shaw Brothers movies to launch a racial tirade against Chinese Americans. While some might think it can be joked about, think of how long before that gets old when someone like me who is from that background hears those remarks .... and trust me on this, there are those who won't take it too lightly. Yes, I am being a bit too sensitive about that. But at least I don't necessary take that to a level where nobody wants. Call it as a safeguard, and please don't make that mistake again. You really don't know who else is listening to your great program.
I have no idea what this has to do with anything or the comment in question. Like the people you reference, your attack was unwarranted and off base. You can question my opinion all you want, but do not question my character or integrity. My comment was in no way anything like the ones you're referencing.

I believe you're looking for a weak excuse to start trouble. This is your first and last to warning to stop it.

I believe you need to exhibit the same tolerance you expect out of others
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Flame-X

TheSuspiciousRedLamp wrote:It kicks some of the non-sense the first show had like the G-Falcon (Chris would be so happy to hear that).
You mean G-fighter? The G-Falcon is from Gundam X.

Anyways, great show guy. I'm definitely gonna have to check out Detonator Orgun someday and then listen to that segment once more.