New RPG Discussion Thread

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
Terrace

This seems a bit too ridgid, if you ask me.

Mod Edit (Red): Dude, ya don't need to quote the entire previous post, particularly when it's that long.
Heavyarms is the best walking weapons pile of all the Gundams!

Click Here!
mcred23

lans* wrote:Some RPG just don't pay attention to details, like we saw on the cheap action movie, people spraying 100 bullets from his M-16 without reloading. Things like that. Some RPG have 'loose' attention, some like the Tftl has rather 'rigid' attention to the details.
Loose details like that usually end up leading to problems, particularly when fighting between two player controlled characters gets involved. It's better to pay some attention to the details, even if it's rather vauge (Like, you don't need to keep an exact count of how many shots you fire in a battle, as long as you don't go overboard), than to ignore details.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Fritz Ashlyn

Big Z wrote:Like real combat, you don't go talking to the enemy... no long drawn out conversations about ideologies.
But... but... then it wouldn't be Gundam! :P
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
The Big Zabowski

Terrace wrote:This seems a bit too ridgid, if you ask me.
If you could provide examples of what you find rigid in the plan, and explain your reasoning, then I'd be happy to discuss it with you, and make changes. After all, It's more or less a quasi rough draft of my idea, so the more feedback the better.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Terrace

Let's count the ways...
How long would it take from talking to firing? (rather stupid but IMO quite crucial)
- This is where it gets interesting. Like real combat, you don't go talking to the enemy, so that will be frowned upon in this RPG. Rather, you will be calling over the comm lines to your own people, and that is the only contact you will have throughout the RPG. There may be the occasional spout of profanities over the radio, but no long drawn out conversations about ideologies.
This is something of a violation of the spirit of Gundam. It is an accepted idea that you can talk to your enemies, and I doubt that people will like not being able to trash-talk their enemies.
Are there any battle-mech options or customization?
-Like the real world military, there will be no customization of mecha in this game. The only personal markings allowed are their unit number, and personal emblem.
For shame. Part of the fun of a Gundam RPG is custom paintjobs and weapons.
As covered above, the rules of this game will be very deeply based in military protocol and rules of engagement practices.
Yeah, but what average RPer will bother to memorize the ROE? :lol:

Click Here!
Recon 5

Lets see...
Terrace wrote: This is something of a violation of the spirit of Gundam. It is an accepted idea that you can talk to your enemies, and I doubt that people will like not being able to trash-talk their enemies.
Its called realism. I don't think that shouting "DIE!!!" over the intercom is too unreasonable, but having long philosophical discussions about life, the universe and everything while doing a deadly dance with your enemies is patently ridiculous. Yes, its a staple of Gundam, but its ridiculous nonetheless. Bear in mind also that barring Mechatalk seniors (myself not included) most RPers who try to do this don't do it very well (myself included).
Terrace wrote: For shame. Part of the fun of a Gundam RPG is custom paintjobs and weapons.
It also allows blatant powergaming and results in an unbalanced playing field. Besides, military grunts are supposed to take what they're given. If you want a custom unit then suggest a setting where customs are the norm rather than the exception.
Terrace wrote: Yeah, but what average RPer will bother to memorize the ROE? :lol:
Realism, again. Anyway, no RPer would be required to memorize the ACTUAL RoE, but READING THE RULES is a MUST.
Yay for functional signatures!

THE OFFICIAL SAJI FANCLUB. PLEASE POST YOUR SAJI SPECULATIONS HERE
Psyden

Big Z, IMO, such an RPG wouldn't be very popular because people like customs and having a drawn out conversation and stuff like that and have come to expect that of Gundam. Taking that stuff out would be like removing beam sabers and Teenaged Mutant Angsty Pilots.

However, I'd say that your general idea would work great as a Macross RPG, but since the General area is taken, that is out the window (though I really would like to see a Macross RPG done along the lines that you're thinking).

If Love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?
mcred23

I seriously think you guys are putting way to much weight on customs. As long as you can get a mech you like, the color doesn't (Or really, shouldn't) matter too much. In the grand scheme of a story (Which is what an RPG is, after all), it's a fairly minor thing.

Just look at TftF, we had a no customs policy for a long time (IIRC, it was kept that was for about seven months, give or take) and even after that, customs were done (And are still done) on a limited basis, and that had no affect on the RPG. Hell, in the Gundam X RPG, I had all of my factions color schemes replaced with their unit's stock colors after a particularly bad battle. That was a fun. :twisted:

Really, whether an RPG does or does not allow customs should be one of the last things you worry about. Be more concerned with the story and how you think that'll go, not whether you'll have the option to make your mech look pretty (Before it likely gets trashed in combat).

And, to give my little opinion on that matter, I do prefer when customs are not allowed, at least, for the start of an RPG. And even when customs are allowed, it should be on a limited basis. Having a war-setting RPG like that where every MS in a faction has it's own color scheme and it's own special crap is, IMO, not only unrealistic, but annoying and pretty stupid.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
The Big Zabowski

Hmm, 2:1 odds against the RPG. Well, since I've now become involved with a 00 RPG offsite, I guess I can pull the idea from the running. Possibly rewrite it as Psyden said. Macross is one of my other favorites, so if you had any ideas on the subject, PM me Psyden. I'd like to hear them.
TRANS AM!
Yes, it's a V8.
Yes, it was a Trans Am before there was "TRANS AM."
Yes, it's mine. 8)
Recon 5

Custom wouldn't just mean a color scheme or nonstandard technology. Custom means that every grunt would get his own personal pick of the regular equipment. That means no experimental stuff, so the chances of a Double Zeta GM appearing are nil.

However, while having everyone go into battle with such combos as twin beam rifles, twin machineguns/ antitank rifles, twin bazookas or quad beam sabers/ heat hawks is technologically acceptable, It will quickly turn battles into a farce. Seriously. Tactics will go out the window in lieu of the Rule of Cool...

Wedge14

Only because it's being hotly debated i'll chime in.

I'll just use point form to explain some things. This is mostly about customization, and what i am going to allow at the beginning. but i'm open to debate.

EA Forces.
Dagger Ls. 1/3rd with striker packs.
Some units stylized with Nose art.

ZAFT Forces.
GuAIZ R's
Not much customization with lack of striker packs.
Lead Ace will be allowed a custom colour scheme.

BC Forces.
Dagger Ls. 1/4 with striker packs.
3 Exotic units for insignificant NPCs who won't make it past the 2nd chapter.
Half of the fleet(by fleet i mean ships.) outfitted with mirage colloid.

--

I think i've Settled on the Title of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed :Double Helix!!
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Terrace

Wedge14 wrote:EA Forces.
Dagger Ls. 1/3rd with striker packs.
Some units stylized with Nose art.
I like this. After reading the stuff about the Strike Dagger and Dagger, I'd prefer a Dagger. Your idea gets my vote! :D

Click Here!
Cardi Doorl

Except the only unit he lists is the Dagger L, silly ;)
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Gambit01

Here is my 'less rough' form of my idea:

It is the year 1932 ID (Imperial Date); the Imperial Family Neablis had risen up and conquered the globe, ending the so-called Never-Ending Wars and uniting Earth with a true, single government. With their capital inside the mobile assault fortress Peerless, they and their privileged nobles have ruled the entirety of the Solar System; inhabited terrestrial planets and the Space colonies surrounding the gas giants alike. Though the Neablis family is credited with bringing peace and prosperity to the Solar System through the power of the Mobile Frame, there are those who are resentful. Many of the people were complaining about the taxes with minimal representation in the Civilian Council. For that matter, they weren’t too happy with the lack of any real power the Council had, and were none-to-crazy about the militarization of almost every colony and city either. Especially enraging was the Royalty’s monopolization of the artificial wormholes that were essential to the travel, trade and survival of all….

…Finally, the frustration became rebellion. When it finally gained enough steam to warrant military attention, it was at first called the Colonial Rebellion because it started in the giant space colonies beyond the Asteroid Field. It soon grew to include those that populated the terrestrial planets, and afterwards was given the less grandiose title of, ‘the Rebellion’. The length of the war was often credited due to the Rebellion being a loose alliance of separate, large military bands that were united only by their desire for independent rule and a new-age, monotheistic religion called ‘Votumism’. Because they were separate, the Imperial Army had no choice but to turn their attentions to each band one at a time. It was almost exactly the sort of strategy that the Imperial Army had no counter for.

Unfortunately for the Rebellion, they lacked the manpower and the resources of the Imperial army, and their mobile frames were, by and large, of far inferior quality with few notable exceptions. The loosely unified strategy, which at first was to their benefit, became their detriment as they continued to take losses they could ill afford. They also had to contest with the Twelve Generals of the Zodiac*, each named after one of the classical Western zodiac constellations and each possessing leadership and combat skills above and beyond anything in both the Imperial Army and the Rebellion. Eventually they began to rely on Votumism more than ever, hailing for the prophesied ‘Savior’*—one born with the power to see and manipulate the ‘threads that connect us all’—to come to their aid.

He—or she—never came.

It took twelve years, but the Rebellion was eventually crushed and harsher conditions than ever were placed on them as a result, with the Twelve Zodiac Generals constantly rotating to either take a planet or being one of the four patrolling the Asteroid Field. Rebellion soldiers and sympathizers went into hiding, changed identities, or even switched allegiances in exchange for amnesty.

That is not the end of the story. It is merely the background of things to come. For there was one commander who still believed in the divine mission of freedom and the coming of the 'Savior'. Having commandeered the great command-ship Sacrament, the commander has to deal with the constant struggle of supplying a ship, keeping an unruly and unbelieving crew disciplined, trying to rouse the Colonists and Terrestrials to one more rebellion….

…and avoid the Imperial army and the Twelve Zodiac Generals, who are constantly hunting for the remnants of a rebellion most scoff at as being rumors.

Sacrament/Rebellion/Civilian Mobile Frames:

ISF-137: A very speedy space fighter that can also fight in an atmosphere; though no match for a mobile frame in a one-on-one duel, it is still capable of great damage, especially when in numbers.

Fixed Armament and Equipment: Single beam cannon; two machine guns (1200 rounds); four tracking missiles; 10 rockets

MF -328 Nascent:

-The first and most basic Mobile Frame, it comes in a fairly standard humanoid frame. Originally designed as a construction and mining vehicle, the Nascent is equipped with finger drills, rotating wrists, and a pair of sub-arms that fold up into the forearms of the suit when not in use. The Nascent to this day is used for the constructing and maintenance of colonies, and more importantly—with the aid of its High Maneuver equipment—the dangerous task of mining in the Asteroid Field. As terrorists, thieves, privateers and more importantly, the Rebellion would discover however, this highly nimble and agile frame could be militarily devastating if properly equipped. Soon the ‘proper equipment’ was made, and appropriate-sized weaponry was made.

Cheap and easy to build and repair, as the only civilian-available suit it is often seen in privatized forces and was the mainstay of the Rebellion. Its simple maintenance is certainly to the Sacrament’s advantage. The design was so reliable that century’s later only minor upgrades could be made to enhance its performance in its intended field.

Fixed Weapons and Equipment: Two sub-arms (stored in forearms); four drills (two stored on each hand above and below the wrist).

Optional Weapons and Equipment: Machine Gun (single 35-round clip with two extra); Bazooka (single 4-round clip, no extra); **chain-knife; **chain-axe; shield;

Special Equipment: High Maneuver Equipment; Booster Pack (A winged-jet pack that allows for crude flying within the atmosphere); Treads (Special leg-type equipment that allow for far faster travel on surfaces; essentially tank-tread boots with rocket boosters)

IMF-037 Duae:

-See under Imperial army: limited number only.

IMF-038 Duae High Maneuver: See under Imperial Army: only 2 available

Imperial Army:

Commoner Class Suits

IMF-037 Duae:

The first Mobile Frame ever built with a strict military application; it was this personally designed and privately commissioned mobile frame that led the first Neablis Emperor to victory in the Never-ending Wars. Like the Nascent, it has proven to be so reliable that until a little before the Rebellion that only minor upgrades could be made.

Being both more maneuverable and more heavily armored than the Nascent, the only advantage the mining suit has is a slightly yet significantly better radar system. The Duae has hard points on which to mount certain weapons, leaving the hands free to wield larger, more destructive weapons. The Duae has done away with the sub-arms and drills, as they served as more of a distraction than anything else to most pilots.

Fixed Weapons and Equipment: None

Optional Weapons and Equipment: Machine Gun (single 35-round clip with two extra); Bazooka (single 4-round clip, no extra); Pistol w/ chain-knife (single 5 round clip w/ no extra); chain-sword, chain-knife; chain-axe, mega-cannon (large beam cannon capable of 10 shots)

Special Equipment: Booster Pack; Treads

IMF-038 HM Duae

Essentially a visual carbon copy of the Duae save for a ‘helmet crest’ and extended shoulder guards, the High Maneuver is a commander’s type unit that is the first Mobile Frame to successfully integrate the Nascent’s High Maneuver mining equipment into the frame itself, making it the most maneuverable mass-produced in the beginning of the war. Due to it being more expensive than its predecessor, the Duae was rolled out in limited amounts, being reserved for proven commanders, aces, Nobles, and of course the twelve Zodiac Generals. Although the Generals and many Nobles traded out the HM Duae for the Tria, some stubbornly stick to the HM Duae, piloting them to great effect.

Fixed Weapons and Equipment: High Maneuver System

Optional Weapons and Equipment: Machine Gun (single 35-round clip with two extra); Bazooka (single 4-round clip, no extra); Pistol w/ chain-knife (single 5 round clip w/ no extra); chain-sword, chain-knife; chain-axe, mega-cannon (large beam cannon capable of 10 shots)

Special Equipment: Booster Pack; Treads

--------------------------

Nobility/Zodiac General Class Suits

IMF-037 Duae

IMF-038 HM Duae

IMF-039 Tria:

Put in development towards the end of the war, when it was introduced, the Tria only saw limited production, and has been reserved solely for the Nobles and the Zodiac Generals. An improved High Maneuver System made this Mobile Frame even more speedy and maneuverable than the HM Duae, along with the added feature of allowing sustained atmospheric flight without the aid of the cumbersome Booster Pack. Because they are made exclusively for the Nobles and the Generals, almost no two Trias resemble each other than in over-all design (a more regal variant of the HM Duae). It is also due to this fact that there are almost no lines of weapons exclusively for the Tria; each is fit by weapons specified, requested (and funded) by the pilots***. It is due to these facts that, although the Tria is unquestionably the most advanced suit, without a large and steady income it is near-impossible to maintain.

Fixed Weapons and Equipment: None

Optional Weapons and Equipment: Vibro-saber; machine-gun; shield

Special Weapons and Equipment: Pending on Pilots.
----------------------

* Generals of the Zodiac applications will be taken by PM only from those that already have another character accepted (as not all the generals will be present at any one time, or even at the beginning). The ‘Savior’ will obviously make an appearance later in the RPG, and it will be discussed with the Trinary over who will get the position (as well as the Savior’s specific abilities: think Newtype except with some religious rather than 'merely' pseudo-spiritual undertones) which will be based on both quality and quantity of posts and if such-as-such’s character being the Savior will add to the overall story.

**‘Chain’ weapons are just traditionally edged weapons that have the edge replaced with a rotating chain (think chainsaw)

***Those who submit Noble bios (and are accepted) must list their ‘custom’ weapons. They should be taken care of, however, as limited, if any, replacements will be aboard ships.

EDIT TO ADDRESS FRITZ' CONCERNS: Just to let everyone know, there WILL be a Gundam, and it will be called Gundam. Actually, there will be several Gundams, who's pilots will be selected similarly to the 'Savior'. Basically that means roleplay consistently and with more than just a snippet to keep from getting the boot. I just think 'Mobile Frame' > 'Mobile Suit' is all. And yes, they will be for the good guys. Don't worry villains, when those pesky Gundams prove to be too much for the Imperial army, they'll start to role out the GOOD shit.
Last edited by Gambit01 on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I mean when you spend precious seconds to give an "All Your Nukes Are Belong To Us" speech before you even start the Gundam up, you know you're too overzealous for your own good.~wza
Commissar Bright Noa

The two MS that I see that are equal to each other in capabilities and customization in SEED would be (At least if its Phantom Pain vs Zaft) are the ZAKU warrior and the GAT-01A2 Slaughter Dagger. They're used around the same time, and both have very good customization options.
Ascension

Problem with that is that the plan is to set the RPG between wars, and I doubt ZAFT would be too keen on displaying the full capabilities of their ZAKUs before the full-scale shooting starts.

I have no problem with limiting custom MS, but I'll agree with the general feeling that banning mid-battle arguments violates the Gundam archetype too severely. Even Graham got in on the action in 00 25! It's fine for a Macross RPG, but for Gundam or SRW, talking with your opponents is par for the course.
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
SNT1

Heh, it won't be Gundam without spat about ideology between the opponents. Even the quiet guys get in on the conversation when the going gets tough/personal (Setsuna and Heero, for example.)
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Recon 5

I've had an idea floating around for a few days now for a Metal Wolf Chaos RP. Yes, you got that right. I'm a sucker for those back pods. Its only when you see the US President (again, you read right) using them as shields for atmospheric reentry that you realize the sheer combat RP potential something like that would have.

If I ever get it up, it'll be a two faction blast-a-thon, something like Gundam Party with a plot. At the moment it'll be a either reimagining of the plot with the Prez and Vice Prez each having armies of their own, or a pseudo- sequel with the US military fighting off little green men- cheese to the max, and players will get to play the aliens as well if they want :D.

I've planned out different kinds of back pods which can be switched according to each player's role- stuff like booster pods, ammo pods and fuel pods along with the weapon pods as seen in the video. What do you guys think?

Fritz Ashlyn

Recon 5 wrote:What do you guys think?
I think that would go in the General RPG Section.

We're doing "Gundam" AU here, keep that in mind.

Gambit, it would be nice if somehow the word 'Gundam' is involved with your idea in some way (either to start or eventually), because we're treading a fine line here between AU and General ideas.

I know it's confusing for everyone because Red went and confused me.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Recon 5

Yeah, I know that I just broke up the current line of AU discussion with a General suggestion, but since this is the overall RPG forum, whats wrong with that? The General section is for RPs that are currently running.