Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG Discussion Thread 4

Where old RPGs go when they die and move on to the afterlife.
chiku_shou

Re: Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG Discussion Thread 4

Sume Gai wrote:I've been contemplating this for a while but Gabriel's latest trick has convinced me to request that you send us (Kylern, Myself and Wedge) a list of the DSR's abilities and explanations for them.
Wait wut?? I thought that everyone already did that? I mean you write all the tech of your mech or/and link to a site that shows it. Shouldn't that mean you have to do the same for your characters as well especially when they have ESP powers and stuff?
Cybaster wrote:It should be enough that any ability we give our characters don't break the standing RPG Forum-wide rules on combat and hit-calling; No matter now powerful Gabriel or GUILTY is, neither of them should, nor should they get to, say, auto-kill Rena without Gai/Omega's prior consent or call hits automatically.
I really don't agree with you on this one. Two characters with ESP powers face off and they keep on trumping each other in ridiculous "magic" battles. All we need is for Harry Pothead to show up and we can call this a fantasy-rpg. With such powers why do they even need a mech? They could simply swat a mech with their hand. Gnats!

You also said that no matter how powerful a character is they can't be allowed to "auto-kill" another players character. While this is good on paper that makes no sense ingame. If you have a character as powerful as say I dunno... Morpheus? and he faces.. I dunno... a random civilian kid without any powers. Just for this example lets assume Morpheus has suddenly become and evil murderous monster. He REALLY wants to kill the kid and there is absolutely nobody there to save the kid.

Both players need to stay in character... How do you solve this? How do you save the kid?

And if there is no list of his powers and a player has figured out a way to beat him using a normal character... is it really okay that the player that uses the ESP character can just say: "uh no... my ESP character uses this and that power so your clever and brilliant idea is all for naught by some random power I just created in order to make my own character look cool."
Strike Zero

I figured that we'd already finished this discussion, but whatever.
chiku_shou wrote:Wait wut?? I thought that everyone already did that? I mean you write all the tech of your mech or/and link to a site that shows it. Shouldn't that mean you have to do the same for your characters as well especially when they have ESP powers and stuff?
As it was, I had only alluded to the Reaper's full powers when I first submitted them. That has since been rectified with my sending of a full explanation of what each is capable to Wedge and the others. So, yeah.
chiku_shou wrote:I really don't agree with you on this one. Two characters with ESP powers face off and they keep on trumping each other in ridiculous "magic" battles. All we need is for Harry Pothead to show up and we can call this a fantasy-rpg. With such powers why do they even need a mech? They could simply swat a mech with their hand. Gnats!
No, they could not. While some are certainly a step-up above others in terms of physical or spiritual ability, no character in play is currently powerful enough to take on a mecha by themselves and walk away still in one piece. Where you got the notion that there is one is frankly beyond me.
chiku_shou wrote:You also said that no matter how powerful a character is they can't be allowed to "auto-kill" another players character. While this is good on paper that makes no sense ingame. If you have a character as powerful as say I dunno... Morpheus? and he faces.. I dunno... a random civilian kid without any powers. Just for this example lets assume Morpheus has suddenly become and evil murderous monster. He REALLY wants to kill the kid and there is absolutely nobody there to save the kid.

Both players need to stay in character... How do you solve this? How do you save the kid?

And if there is no list of his powers and a player has figured out a way to beat him using a normal character... is it really okay that the player that uses the ESP character can just say: "uh no... my ESP character uses this and that power so your clever and brilliant idea is all for naught by some random power I just created in order to make my own character look cool."
Rules are rules, and no matter how drastic or unrealistic the situation may be, one character cannot kill another if the latter's player doesn't want them to. However, this is also why the responsibility falls on the person controlling said powerful character to play tactfully and make sure that such situations do not occur in the first place. So far (to my memory) everybody has been pretty good with making sure that all encounters on foot were equal, and the one recent instance where it wasn't so equal (Kylern's attack on the Reaper's submarine) I myself went into the encounter fully expecting and willing to lose; I'm not so much of a jerk that I'd make any of my characters actually impossible to beat. It doesn't take much for such encounters to work out, just a little reasonableness on the part of everybody involved to make sure things don't become so ridiculous and out of control that the game is no longer fun.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Cybaster

chiku_shou wrote:
Sume Gai wrote:I've been contemplating this for a while but Gabriel's latest trick has convinced me to request that you send us (Kylern, Myself and Wedge) a list of the DSR's abilities and explanations for them.
Wait wut?? I thought that everyone already did that? I mean you write all the tech of your mech or/and link to a site that shows it. Shouldn't that mean you have to do the same for your characters as well especially when they have ESP powers and stuff?
I update my character profiles publicly on a regular basis whenever needed, anyway.
You also said that no matter how powerful a character is they can't be allowed to "auto-kill" another players character. While this is good on paper that makes no sense ingame. If you have a character as powerful as say I dunno... Morpheus? and he faces.. I dunno... a random civilian kid without any powers. Just for this example lets assume Morpheus has suddenly become and evil murderous monster. He REALLY wants to kill the kid and there is absolutely nobody there to save the kid.
I very much doubt any of us actually plays any random civilian kids without any form of defence whatsoever, anyway. =P

And you'll have to be specific, chiku: Is this random civilian kid an actual named Player-created NPC (like, say, Natalia) or a random civilian kid by the literal definition? In the latter case, he would actually be an NPC; If killing him would not have any impact whatsoever on the plot aside from dramatic exposition, then most likely it wouldn't matter anyway and Morpheus can just go ahead and kill the kid (just like how Wedge can have Aelfhere kill unnamed Guarlion mooks without asking Kylern all the time to keep the battle pace flowing). If it's the former case, or if said random civilian kid is actually relevant to some other player's plot, then there's one of three things (that I can think of right away) that can resolve this.

a) Said player can OOCly PM me and express a wish to have the civilian kid live, and I'll find a plausible way to oblige.
b) Said player can just have Morpheus miss his attacks against the kid and start running, just like how Nena can twist out of the way if Nowe tries to stab her. That's perfectly legal by the RPG Forum rules.
c) Both of the above.

I hope that addresses your concerns, chiku.
I really don't agree with you on this one. Two characters with ESP powers face off and they keep on trumping each other in ridiculous "magic" battles. All we need is for Harry Pothead to show up and we can call this a fantasy-rpg. With such powers why do they even need a mech? They could simply swat a mech with their hand. Gnats!
That's the point; Like I said before, nobody in TARRRPG is capable of actually damaging a mecha with their abilities alone (much less destroying one), hence why mecha will always be prevalent --- and why even someone like the Nova Prince has an R-Gun Rivale lying somewhere. (Also also, good luck trying to fight with a Lightsaber while floating around in the dead of space. XD) This is also why you still have MS Igloo 2-ish Anti-MS teams with Anti-tank weapons somewhere; Mecha are dominant, really powerful weapons that represent the pinnacle of technology in the Earth Sphere --- regardless of what abilities a character him/herself has --- that will exhaust and pound you if you don't have one yourself, and why even Kirie, a Gundam Fighter, had to rely on throwing grenades into the cockpit Starship Troopers/Empire Strikes Back-style to take down a Barzam without an MS. It's all balanced.

And if Harry Potter flies on on his broom and tries to Expelliarmus an MP-X, we string him and whoever decided to bring him in up by having the MP-X bring a foot down and 'splat', and there would be much rejoicing. =P

Besides, given Parco Fulgore's fate when Fritz tried to pitch him as a joke character, a Harry Potter or Dominic Deegan would never have made it past the Approval stage, anyway.
Don't throw the baton, you jacka**!!!
Wedge14

I'm thinking of just putting a cap on how crazy crap can get here.

This chain of conversation is over because, it's being taken care of over PM. Gabriel is going to have his abilities nerfed.

Also theres gonna be an announcement very soon. Let's just say we're at the half way mark! And something big is going to go down, which might change everything. :twisted:
RPG Trinary:Creepy Zeon Magician

I'm cool, just ask anybody.

Oh and check out the RPG Section!
Omega

After some loose ends are tied up, would a timeskip of three days be okay?
Wedge14

No

(best post ever!)

EDIT:Seriously though, if we time skip three days, we'll time skip through a lot of the world wide stuff going on.

Kylern

Gah I love surprises though this one doesn't seem to be good...
When the books are written will we be on the right side of history?
Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG
Sume Gai

This surprise is alot better than the alternative....

I promise that much at least.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Wedge14

Indeed, this is going to change everything! :twisted:

Strike Zero

Well, don't just sit there Wedge! Curb my brimming anticipation and DO it already!
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Fritz Ashlyn

Oh, we're dying to.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
Sume Gai

alright guys the big announcement should be coming pretty soon (pretty much once I convince wedge to tell you guys) in the mean Time after Victious next post I'd like to time skip to the next day (It should be getting late in game anyway) are their any objections.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

Kylern

No and the crew on the Valhalla will have landed back at base.
When the books are written will we be on the right side of history?
Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG
Sume Gai

Right I intend to handle that alongside Victious next post.

Cybaster

Sume Gai wrote:alright guys the big announcement should be coming pretty soon (pretty much once I convince wedge to tell you guys) in the mean Time after Victious next post I'd like to time skip to the next day (It should be getting late in game anyway) are their any objections.
I...don't get it. Why don't you just tell us right now? What is it about?
Sume Gai

because we're all sneaky and stuff and we wanted to get things ready before spilling the beans. Personally I think you guys should have been told already but Wedge is the boss on this matter, you'd have to ask him why he's holding out.

Cybaster

Seriously, if you're going to ban me, just do it now without the sneakiness. :roll:
Wedge14

I told strike :P

I need to buy a domain name first. It be more of a cooler reveal if i could hit you guys with TARRRPG.COM :roll:

Cybaster

Wedge14 wrote:I told strike :P

I need to buy a domain name first. It be more of a cooler reveal if i could hit you guys with TARRRPG.COM :roll:
*Shakes Fist, then fires a gun into the air with both hands repeatedly while yelling "Aaaaaargh!"* :evil:
Sume Gai

Wedge14 wrote:I told strike :P
though he still hasn't responded for some reason... :|
*Shakes Fist, then fires a gun into the air with both hands repeatedly while yelling "Aaaaaargh!"* :evil:
watch it you could hurt someone doing that.